Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Old thread, still relevant. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Old thread, still relevant. jim
very!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
If you are a new or prospective member to the WBCCI, you may want to research this issue and all of the implications that allowing NON-Airstream brands of RV will mean for a club with a 50+ year history of being an Airstream only club.
I'm also a new member, and I've tried to do my own research. It's tough wading through hundreds of posts on multiple threads spanning several years! Here is my understanding of the situation; correct me if I'm wrong: Some WBCCI members bought life memberships, and then later sold their Airstreams. However, having joined for life, they feel cheated that they no longer can hold office in the club or vote on issues relevant to the club, and they're not invited to the rallies and caravans anymore. So they and some well-meaning but ultimately misguided active members who support their viewpoint (perhaps because they envision themselves in the same situation in the future) want to change the rules to allow the disenfranchised life members to participate to the same extent they did before, by opening WBCCI membership up to anyone who owns a motorhome made by Thor Industries, Airstream's parent company.

Which brings up a question: Did Wally Byam ever have anything to do with Thor Industries before he died? Or any other still-existing RV manufacturer other than Airstream? If not, then how could it possibly remain the Wally Byam CCI if you open membership up to owners of non-Airstream RVs?

I only joined WBCCI a few months ago, but I'm sure the two main prerequisites remain the same as when the club was formed: (1) You must own an Airstream; (2) You must pay your membership dues. That seems very simple to me. The disenfranchised life members meet prerequisite 2 in perpetuity, but as former rather than present Airstream owners, they do not meet prerequisite 1.

Getting off the subject of research… I'm not entirely heartless, despite persistent rumors to the contrary. There is a possible compromise solution, which I'm sure has been brought up before but I missed seeing in the forums, to wit: A life member of WBCCI who sells his Airstream could become a member emeritus, being more-or-less on extended leave from the club rather than resigning. Kind of like a professor who takes a break from teaching but keeps his tenure with the university out of respect for his past contributions. WBCCI members emeritus could still attend the rallies, maybe even the caravans, but could not hold any club office or vote on any club issues, and might even get a special emeritus badge (perhaps a scarlet "A"?). If the member emeritus ever bought another Airstream, then full membership could be reinstated. Under the emeritus system, they wouldn't even have to own a Thor motorhome. They could own any brand, or even no motorhome at all, as long as they bought a life membership before they sold their last Airstream. Active members, whether lifers or year-to-year, would still have to own an airstream product.

Neither side of the argument would be completely happy with this compromise solution, but isn't that what compromise is about, sharing the unhappiness equally?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Ormond Beach , Florida
SOB's

A well researched and thoughtful suggestion to the question of allowing Life Members the opportunity of staying in the Club after they sell their Airstream. I would agree that they could again participate in the Club as an active member but only after purchasing an Airstream. They understood what Life membership meant when they decided to pay their dues . . . own an Airstream. How does the Mustang or Corvette Clubs handle Life membership? I don't know. I own a Dodge and can't join.

However, there is an additional issue on the table . . . those who now have a Airstream motor home and plan to replace it with a Thor Industries motor home and wants to remain a member. Many say they don't want to buy a trailer or touring coach and just because Airstream doesn't make a motor home any longer, they should be allowed to stay an active member of WBCCI if they purchase a specific motor home from Thor. So what happens if Thor is bought out by Winnebago?

Once the door is opened, the Airstream Owners Club is no longer unique.
WBAC #1021
Ormond Beach, FL
1966 20' Globe Trotter
2015 Nissan Frontier SL
floridalarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Well Barry has spoke in the Apr BB - constitution and moho will be brought to the floor in Sedalia. Glad I am going - can't wait to witness. will we be handing out fliers outside again? Please count me in.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #26
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Protagonist, As a very vocal member of the Motorhome committee that is exactly what I purposed and was out voted. Let them buy a thor mh but not be able to vote or hold office. I do think I should have used the emeritus wording, it may have swayed the vote. Only about 400 motor homes are in the club, maybe 1/4 vintage and half of the 300 will just age out of the club or go to a class b Motorhome. I would bet that we are looking at less than 100 members that MAY want a new motor home. Not enough to change the club.
I think it is a case of members afraid that there friends won't stay in the club and then no one would volunteer except those whipper snapper hippies, Hey we are turning 60 and can run the club, don't worry.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #27
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Which brings up a question: Did Wally Byam ever have anything to do with Thor Industries before he died? Or any other still-existing RV manufacturer other than Airstream? If not, then how could it possibly remain the Wally Byam CCI if you open membership up to owners of non-Airstream RVs?
Good question. Wally went to the big campground in the sky in 1962. Thor was formed as the parent company of Airstream around 1980. So there is no connection there. Wally did work for Curtis Wright for a few years and trailers made during that era are eligible for membership in the club. Before Wally started making trailers, he sold plans for people to build their own. There is one trailer in the club that was built from these plans in 1935.

Also, if a member sells their Airstream they can remain a member if they do not get another brand of RV. This allows members who are no longer able to travel in their Airstream to still be a part of the organization.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #28
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Pearl View Post
I think it is a case of members afraid that there friends won't stay in the club and then no one would volunteer except those whipper snapper hippies.
Don't doubt it. I can sympathize with the whole, "I'm going to miss you guys," attitude that would lead to wanting former Airstream owners to stay in the club. The emeritus program I proposed would allow that.

However, if their attitude is, "No one can run this club better than I can, so you have to let me stay," then that's an ego the club doesn't need. If they were THAT important to the club, then we couldn't let them die, either. Maybe instead of giving them funerals we could send them to taxidermists so we could let them attend IBT meetings post-mortem.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Also, if a member sells their Airstream they can remain a member if they do not get another brand of RV. This allows members who are no longer able to travel in their Airstream to still be a part of the organization.
When my uncle, a long time member, died I offered to continue my aunts membership so she could attend the local luncheons. Some pompous ass pumped up with his misguided authority denied her that. Time to return the favor.

Note in my signature the numbers are my aunt and uncles.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Maybe instead of giving them funerals we could send them to taxidermists so we could let them attend IBT meetings post-mortem.
You are too late. Many in the IBT are already dead while attending the meetings. The lights are on but no one is home.
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Delegates meeting

I have posted the 'official' motion documents at the Watchung NJ Unit website...

WBCCI Watchung Unit
Old 04-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #32
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Dave be sure to post several more letters you're missing.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #33
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York

I know a certain delegate that should also sign up!!!!!!!!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #34
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
I did sign up. Will you post when it is sent? Might get in the spam box.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 04-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #35
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Knowing what you're up against I'll be sure so you can let the members in your unit know becuase I'm not certain the UP will

Old 04-23-2012, 05:46 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
When my uncle, a long time member, died I offered to continue my aunts membership so she could attend the local luncheons. Some pompous ass pumped up with his misguided authority denied her that. Time to return the favor.

Note in my signature the numbers are my aunt and uncles.
This has been brought up in our unit. A "luncheon" is not a rally. Former members and friends are very welcome!
cbacon is offline   Reply With Quote