Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #201
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Carol and HowieE. I'll get my tech support to help me get this to play, and listen to it all when I'm not ready to tear out my hair.

Maggie
Old 07-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #202
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Percentage of MoHo's in the WBCCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDureiko View Post
I'd also really like to know exactly how many MH owners there are in the club, and how many really want an SOB.....I'm guessing the number is very very small......
Dan
Dan,

The most recent numbers I have seen were in Jerry Larson's 2008 "State of the WBCCI" Powerpoint presentation. (If I remember correctly it's posted somewhere on the internet, but I don't know where.)

In any case, of the 3,521 members reporting type of RV on their renewal (out of 6,677 members), the totals and percentages were:
Trailers - 3,072 - 87.2%
Class A - 386 - 11.0%
Class B - 57 - 1.6%
Class C - 1 - 0.0%
5th Wheel - 5 - 0.1%
Note that these numbers can't be extrapolated to the total membership because a significant number of members (a majority in some units)--those no longer owning any RV--are omitted.

How many present MoHo owners want to remain in WBCCI with an SOB is anybody's guess.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:05 PM   #203
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Maggie,

Go to the link that bill posted and right click (control clock for the MAC) on the link. Click "Save Target As" and save it to your drive.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 07-13-2010, 10:57 PM   #204
Rivet Master

Trailers - 3,072 - 87.2%
Class A - 386 - 11.0%
Class B - 57 - 1.6%
Class C - 1 - 0.0%
5th Wheel - 5 - 0.1%
Out of the 386 Class A listed, does anyone know how many are Classic Aluminum tubes?

We'd have something here if Airstream had really followed thru on that new BMW design for a Class A motoehome that they ditched a few years ago after much hoopla. It also would be nice, if they re-enacted the Classic on the new Workhorse chassis, and put in a duramax.
Can you imagine a Duramax/Allsion ensemble in a Classic Class A, aluminum skin all polished up, diesel power genset for day use and a battery bank of AGM's fed by rooftop solar panels by nite. better yet, a fuel cell generator for silent running all night. Ohh , we can dream!!
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Old 07-14-2010, 05:19 AM   #205
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
Maggie,

Go to the link that bill posted and right click (control clock for the MAC) on the link. Click "Save Target As" and save it to your drive.
You are a wizard! Thank you so much! My tech support is a working dad ( my son) of three, access not always instant.

Listening now, playing through QuickTime.

Maggie
Old 07-14-2010, 05:59 AM   #206
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This came up and was introduced as "Motion 7", so was on their agenda that day, apparently. No one seemed surprised nor asked why the midnight hour activity.

John Turner clearly states this came from Region 4 Units, was passed by 13 of 14 Units, which couldn't be more misleading, IMO, from the other information we have learned and as posted above.

I'm just plain disgusted at the whole thing. Shame on them.

Maggie
Old 07-14-2010, 06:01 AM   #207
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
riverhead , New York
Out Of Wak % Comes to my Attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Dan,

The most recent numbers I have seen were in Jerry Larson's 2008 "State of the WBCCI" Powerpoint presentation. (If I remember correctly it's posted somewhere on the internet, but I don't know where.)

In any case, of the 3,521 members reporting type of RV on their renewal (out of 6,677 members), the totals and percentages were:
Trailers - 3,072 - 87.2%
Class A - 386 - 11.0%
Class B - 57 - 1.6%
Class C - 1 - 0.0%
5th Wheel - 5 - 0.1%
Note that these numbers can't be extrapolated to the total membership because a significant number of members (a majority in some units)--those no longer owning any RV--are omitted.

How many present MoHo owners want to remain in WBCCI with an SOB is anybody's guess.
What I find interesting in the above numbers is the % of CLASS "A" MOHOs that would represent past and present IBT and IP etc. as opposed to "just us members".

It seems to me that the greater majority of "just us members" own TRAILERS, while, the greater majority of WBCCI current leaders both past and present, own MOHOs!!!

Perhaps this lopsided statistic is partly responsible in the "disconnect" between the isolation of our leadership and the majority of members.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #208
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
18 is the first number that comes to mind. Hands up please. That is 18 Yes, 0 No, and 0 Abstentions.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #209
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Trailer vs MOHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecolao View Post

It seems to me that the greater majority of "just us members" own TRAILERS, while, the greater majority of WBCCI current leaders both past and present, own MOHOs!!!
I don't do this often but..........
I ran into the advanced caravan in Wall SD last week going from Gillette to the IL rally site. This group consisted of the Executive Board members and some committee chairpersons, the majority pulled trailers.
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 07-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #210
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I have been listening to the recordings of the July meetings. At the IBT meeting on July 28, each region president was to make a report of their meetings with the units in their region. John Turner, president of region 4, mentioned, almost in passing, that the motorhome matter was discussed at the region rally. This statement was made in connection with the results of the "roundtable" discussions, which also occurred at the region 4 rally.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 07-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #211
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
In addition, several regions reported the desire to have shorter caravans. The reduction in the requirements for units caravans was defeated, as I recall, by a vote of 18 to zero.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 07-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #212
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
In addition, several regions reported the desire to have shorter caravans. The reduction in the requirements for units caravans was defeated, as I recall, by a vote of 18 to zero.

Bill
According to my notes, the vote was Yes 6 / No 12.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
Old 07-15-2010, 10:28 PM   #213
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
According to my notes, the vote was Yes 6 / No 12.
Thanks for the correction, now if we only knew who voted which way.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 07-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #214
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
The discussion of changing the criteria so that unit caravans could also enjoy an index and numbered recognition was very interesting. It was stated many times that is had the support of an entire region and more as well as the second year running with a member driven proposal on numbering unit caravans. It was also mentioned that since membership wants this they should act upon the will of the membership since the club belongs to them, but it was voted out after what seemed peculiar in the claims that units can caravan all they want already and they don't caravan for recognition and that is not what this club is all about and that it would increase per page directory costs to add caravan numbers after their names. Always looking to save members a buck, eh? There really was no impelling reason not to accept the motion except that the IBT didn't want to or know how they would make the unit caravan distinctions since during a year one might attend caravans from more than one unit. The distinction for National caravans however still remains with usual recognition in the directory. Am I mistaken or did they say we need to go back to the units and see what they want?...more information required...yet they could have consulted round table and worked it out or have tried to help members get their initiative passed and moving along if they truly wanted to help membership make changes.

photography
Old 07-15-2010, 10:43 PM   #215
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I originated the unit caravan motion in Region 9 and it was enthusiastically supported by all but one unit when voted on at our Region rally.

I intend to put it to our unit again and make them face it again next time around. Our unit voted 100% for the motion.

When those folks stop drawing for their 3-digit numbers, I'll let this one lie. Talk about craving recognition, the three-digit farce is the crowning example of that.

That is, if I am still around next year and that is up in the air at the moment. I can still put it to the unit even if I do not renew.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #216
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Mid-Winter IBT- "Pumpkin Coach" program announced by AOAII

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmbstreamer View Post
I attended the Larry Huttle presentation. My notes and recollection indicate that he presented an OPTION for the Club that would involve Re-Badging a Damon / Four Winds (now merged) Motorhome as an Airstream IF the club made a significant commitment. Airstream is NOT producing Class As and these motorhomes would not be Airstream products.

My impression from his suggestion is that the Club had been asking for an option, not that Larry Huttle and Airstream wanted to re-badge Damon / Four Winds products.

The Club is for owners of products manufactured by Airstream, Inc. This change would require a revision to the Constitution. 2/3 of members must agree. I can't believe they are asking again for the 3rd time in 4 years.
Now that reminds me of the best piece of satire that I have ever read hands down! Be prepared to read an extraordinarily poignant and delightful essay posted originally on the WBCCI forums January 25th, 2007 before the establishment of the "communication commitee" and the advent of the new tiered WBCCI forum. This is years ahead of its time. and prophetic if not apocalyptic, depending upon your point of view... Brilliant parody by 47WeeWind. This is just way too good not to be shared again.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Mid-Winter IBT- "Pumpkin Coach" program announced by AOAII.
Dateline: Perry, Georgia, January 20, 2007

Interview with AOAII Spokesman Rodney Dangerfield.

The Airstream Owners Association International, Inc. (AOAII) Board of trusteess (IBT) today unveiled a new program to increase membership after a decades-long slide in membership numbers. The IBT unanimously approved on Friday, Jan. 19 the "Pumpkin Coach" program under which owners of Class A motorhomes manufactured by any company other than Airstream, Inc. can become AOAII members. The simple application of an AOAII approved "Airstream Edition" decal underneath the motorhome manufacturer's badge automatically transforms the motorhome into an Airstream product that qualifies its owners for AOAII membership. "You don't even need a magic wand" states Dangerfield, "only a small dish of water."

The decals are good for a 12 month period ending on July 4th each year, when at the stroke of midnight the motorhome turns back into a SOB [Some Other Brand]. But "fear not" says Dangerfield, "new decals, good for another one year period, are available from AOAII headquarters for only $75.00 per year. Just be sure to apply them before midnight."

The Pumpkin Patch program will be field tested the first year only on Class A motorhomes. If AOAII membership numbers rise, then the program will be expanded to all other types of recreational vehicles. "Airstream, Inc. can only produce about 2,500 travel trailers per year, far too few" notes Dangerfield. "We need a much larger membership universe to draw from, so in 2008 we intend to extend the Pumpkin Coach program to travel trailers and RVs of all brands." Again, the mere application of an "Airstream Edition" decal will transform any SOB travel trailer or RV into an AOAII-recognized Airstream product, qualifying its owner for membership under the expanded "Pumpkin RV" program.

When asked where the Airstream badges could be found on a non-Airstream brand recreational vehicle, Dangerfield bellowed "Badges? We aint got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges! ... when a little decal will do ya."

The inspiration for this innovative program came from the Board itself. Noting that dressing up an ordinary person in a snappy blazer, tie and beret transformed him or her into a respected leader, they realized the same principal could be applied to recreational vehicles. "It's all about distinctive surface appearance" ,says Dangerfield. "If we dress up the surface of a SOB, it too will become a leader among its peers. Every RV is entitled to respect" harrumphed Dangerfield.

Recounting that Airstream, Inc. recently entered the toy-toting market with the innovative Basecamp, Dangerfield hinted the AOAII might leapfrog the trailer manufacturer by jumping ahead into the utility trailer field. "There are a heck of a lot of horse trailers out there" observed Dangerfield, "and a fair amount of them are aluminum, reminiscent of our far distant heritage". The AOAII decals look particularly nostalgic on an aluminim surface. "Now that dogs will no longer be restricted to one far off area at our International Rally, we'll look into integrating horses at our 2009 International in Madison, Wisconsin. That should boost attendance. We'll just have to remind owners to bring larger pooper scoopers" sniffed Dangerfield.

"In 2010, we'll tackle the world of flatbed trailers, all sizes" expounded Dangerfield. "We're partnering with Kelty to make an 8' wide by 40' Airstream Edition branded tent to fit on a commercial flatbed trailer. Those 18 wheelers are already self-contained in the cab, and the extended family can sleep in the tent" during International. Having admitted diesel pushers for years, the AOAII looks forward to welcoming all thos "Airstream Edition" 18 wheeler deisel pullers as well. He predicts a constitutional amendmant to change the club to the AEOAII will pass handily.

2011 will see the program extended to people and renamed the "Pumpkin Person" program. "Anyone who wears an Airstream t-shirt, hat, bracelet or other item is, on the surface, an Airstream" said Dangerfield. "Why would they be denied the benefits of membership? Anyone wearing any Airstream branded item will be welcome to join the AEOAII, for a fee of course, which should further boost membership." Decal sales are projected to flatten in 2011, but people who want to to be recognized for their leadership potential can purchase "Four Winds" embroidered formal wear.

Finally, Dangerfield whispered he overheard some guys in berets talking to Saint Peter about "Pumpkin Gates" welcome plaques and co-branding "Airstream Edition" angel wings. When asked about the future for those who actually owned Airstream manufactured recreational vehicles, Rodney sharply remarked he had no knowledge of any AEOAII plans for such misguided souls, but suggested we contact them directly through the Red One in the netherworld, where such owners could be found.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #217
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Lamy , New Mexico
A Preview of Comming Attractions?

While on the road today, saw an interesting thing. While coming South on I-25 from Trinidad, CO towards home, there was a northbound tan Class A SOB with a 25 - 27 ft newer, but bald, Airstream in tow. Looks like someone has found the solution to the problem.

TAC NM-1
Four Corners Unit Treasurer
WBCCI 5279, AIR #24915
KF5RGU
Old 08-11-2010, 04:37 AM   #218
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Our current leaders likely have the opinion that they are the the heart and soul of the WBCCI. The International set talk to only the higher quality members (themselves). Polls, we don't need no polls, we know what is best for us and the WBCCI. WE have the control and the money and we aren't giving them up. We only need to give the lower class the appearance of inclusion, to keep them funding our fun. "Fun, Fellowship and Adventure FOR US" is our motto and we are enjoying it. Keep those dues rolling in.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:43 PM   #219
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
It is foolishness like this backhanded dealing that warrants the movement of Forrest McClure's amendment to separate the creation of bylaws and the power to pass on the constitutionality of those bylaws from the IBT and place it in the hands of the Deligates.

You may want to read up on this amendment

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ion-59520.html

After which time you may want to look to

defendwally.org

and see how you can help curtail future such misconduct.
How was that again, that we could curtail misconduct in the future Howie?

What ever happened to that unit president e-mail of yours to see just how each unit weighed in on the issue of a motorhome study committee and the fact finding of Turner's claim for the motion?

photography
Old 08-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #220
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Lets look at an example of allowing none Airstreamers into an Airstream only system.

Traveler Rest in Fl. used to be an All Airstream Resort. Several years back during the last recession the attendance started to drop off. A vote was take to allow None Airstream unit in and to allow them to purchase lots. The Resort is now close to 75/25 and a major distinction is becoming apparent. The None Airstreamers are not the type that volunteer towards to support of the Resort activities, clubs, planning, the Snack Shop, and set up and clean up of activities in the hall. They prefer to enjoy the comforts without the work. Travelers Rest is still functioning but as the ratio increases in favor of None Airstreamers the Resort will deteriorate or cost will increase to offset the reduction in volunteerism.

Now that said there are quite a number of PIPs and other current Leaders that winter at Travelers Rest. After they get their SOBs which side will they support? Maybe Gold Row Seating in the hall Saturday night without the expectation of having to help put the chairs away after the show.
I had heard that too, that many International Past Presidents and current leaders winter at Traveler's Rest. Just curious now would that include Bob and his friends in the Metro New York Unit? In fact doesn't the past unit president of Metro New York, Joe C. and the incoming Metro New York unit president, Joe C.'s wife happen to spend their winters there with Bob and the other current and past WBCCI leaders? It's such a small small world, isn't it? There must be some serious club talk and hobnobbing going on there each season. We even have their son Nathan C. piping in and speaking on behalf of the Metro New York action regarding the DW law suit. It sounds like quite the family and friends network and place to comfortably combine WBCCI business with pleasure. How about you Howie do you stop each year? I find your example compellingly interesting on the perrils of what happens when you get a bunch of SOBs together.

photography
Closed Thread