Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2004, 10:11 PM   #1
SSOLID

1972 25' Tradewind
Fayetteville , Tennessee
Send a message via MSN to ssolid Send a message via Yahoo to ssolid
Joining the WBCCI

We are new Airstream owners and want to join the WBCCI and the Vintage Airstream Club. While filling out the membership application, it asked if we want to join as a member at large or as part of a unit.

Can someone please elaborate on the differences between these two options? (advantages, disadvantages, etc.)

Thank You,
Steve
ssolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 01:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
LOCAL UNIT: Membership in both WBCCI and a Local Unit

MEMBER AT LARGE: WBCCI Member without a Unit Affliliation

My opinion:

If you have a "home base" and want to be involved in the club with folks in your area, rallies, "off-season" get-togethers, caravans, etc. you will probably want to join a Local Unit.

If you prefer to travel around more & you just want to drop in on an occasional rally, etc. or there isn't an active Unit near you, a Membership at Large would probably be more suited to you.

Either way you could attend rallies and caravans...it would just be more if you are a loner or a people-person IMO.

Unit membership is another couple of dollars over M@L...

You must be a member of WBCCI (parent organization) to be a member of the VAC (IntraClub).

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 05:41 AM   #3
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Thumbs up Search feature

use the search feature.
You will see many threads on the differences, pros and cons as perceived by different individuals.

My vote is for local member.

As stated by Shari, you get same perks in both classifications.
As a local member, you are entitled to vote and hold office in your local club. The local clubs make up the whole body. If you find yourself with the same desires as many of us, you will have an interest in helping the WBCCI become a better community that is suited more to yours and others interests.

Long story short, join a local unit so you can be active in the developement of the bylaws and policies.

Thanks for joining,

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 08:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Steve, I would vote for joining with a local for several reasons. We enjoy the company of other Airstreamers. We owned an Airstream for 18 months before we joined, we were doing a lot of sprucing up of our unit and use that as an excuse for not joining sooner. If I had joined a unit sooner I would have found out a lot of things that I had to just work my way through. When I went to my first rally everyone came over to welcome me and to inspect my rig. Before the weekend was over they had removed my ball and had properly adjusted it as well as the equalizer hitch. The advice that these people had from years of experience was invaluable. You cannot think of a place to go where someone in your local has not already been. They are happy to sit down with you and tell you where to go and stay and what to stay away from. I bought my first Airstream because of the product. I bought my second Airsteam because of the people. You can meet the same people by being a member at large but it is hard to bond when you only spend a day or two with them and then move on. Try the local and if you aren't happy you can always change to at large. Do a little research first, there were two units that I could join, I choose the one that was closer and offered more of what I was looking for in a club. Best of luck and if you ever visit the Tidewater area or the Outer Banks NC feel free to stop by. We have courtesy parking in the yard with 30 amps, water and sewage.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:32 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up join the local unit

nothing to loose...about the same as member at large in cost...you can be as active as suits you....can always change units if you find one that suits you better...lol..jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote