Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Once upon a time an International rally meant 3,000 trailers in an unimproved field... roads and parking spaces had to be surveyed...water lines laid... tents for services. That took a lot of early workers
Not really... granted, it was not 3000 trailers... but at last years Birthday Bash, 3 of us got the "unimproved" site prepared for a gathering of nearly 300 folks in just a few days.

Our event is more about using our trailers as they were intended... to have fun!

A massive infrastructure such as the nature of todays Internationals only serves to distract from the important stuff... enjoyment!
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Lubbock , Texas
As a new Airstream owner and new member of this forum I find myself fascinated by these discussions. I'm a young guy (41-- I keep telling myself that's still young) with a wife and 2 kids (ages 12 and 10). We bought the Airstream for family fun and enjoyment and mainly as a way to get my wife and 10 year old daughter to join me and my son on camping trips. How do I (we) fit in to the WBCCI's plans? Or do we at all? I can honestly say that the idea of rallying has a great deal of appeal to me. But if the descriptions I've read in this forum of the typical rally are half-way accurate, then honestly I can't see my family being involved any time soon. Again, based on nothing other than what I've read here, it seems as though the WBCCI and rallies in general are geared towards retired folks with the time and $$ that most young families simply don't have. If I could take off 10 days from work and if my family had the $ to travel to the International, what would attract us to do such a thing? What would my kids do for a week or 10 days? Anyway, not sure anyone cares much about what a new guy like me has to say on the subject but I hope someone out there does. Thanks for listening.
AirEPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirEPotter View Post
As a new Airstream owner and new member of this forum I find myself fascinated by these discussions. I'm a young guy (41-- I keep telling myself that's still young) with a wife and 2 kids (ages 12 and 10). We bought the Airstream for family fun and enjoyment and mainly as a way to get my wife and 10 year old daughter to join me and my son on camping trips. How do I (we) fit in to the WBCCI's plans? Or do we at all? I can honestly say that the idea of rallying has a great deal of appeal to me. But if the descriptions I've read in this forum of the typical rally are half-way accurate, then honestly I can't see my family being involved any time soon. Again, based on nothing other than what I've read here, it seems as though the WBCCI and rallies in general are geared towards retired folks with the time and $$ that most young families simply don't have. If I could take off 10 days from work and if my family had the $ to travel to the International, what would attract us to do such a thing? What would my kids do for a week or 10 days? Anyway, not sure anyone cares much about what a new guy like me has to say on the subject but I hope someone out there does. Thanks for listening.
I care about what you have to say. And im 68. Sal
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
My 12 year old grandson ha a great time at Madison with the 70 other Kids that attended and participated in the programs put on Mrs. Amme and her daughter and the daughter's husband. He wanted to go with us again to Gillette, but it was too far, per his mother. The "entertainment" in the evening was not to his liking but they has an alternate program for them. Some local rallies in some units are also age independent.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Lubbock , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen
I care about what you have to say. And im 68. Sal
Thank you Sal.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Our son, now 18, went to Perry and Bozeman. Our daughter, 16, went to Gilette and had a great time as well. There have been younger teens at all these Internationals. They have a great time with each other. Mrs. Amme and her family do a fantastic job.

Our unit is working on kid activities and kid friendly rallies. We need parents with children to work with us in planning and feedback. Get involved with a unit and make your thoughts known. They will likely accept your ideas and your help.
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
As a new Airstream owner and new member of this forum I find myself fascinated by these discussions. . . . I can honestly say that the idea of rallying has a great deal of appeal to me. But if the descriptions I've read in this forum of the typical rally are half-way accurate, then honestly I can't see my family being involved any time soon. Again, based on nothing other than what I've read here, it seems as though the WBCCI and rallies in general are geared towards retired folks with the time and $$ that most young families simply don't have. . . Thanks for listening.
Hi AirEPotter:

The geriatric rally description in this thread is limited to the once-a-year International [club business meeting] Rally run by the ITB officers. Nearly every other WBCCI rally is much more informal and, to me, far more enjoyable (I've been to 2 Internationals, more than enough.). For contrast, read any thread on any Rally sponsored by the Four Corners Unit or by most any other local club unit of the WBCCI. Don't be scared away from the WBCCI solely becauase of the International Rally.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
AirEPotter, thanks for posting and has several members have already stated, there are many things for the children to enjoy. The International is not all old folks. We need more members like you and welcome you to WBCCI. Sometimes comments get out of hand in these threads. If you think that your family would enjoy attending an International Rally its a great opportunity to visit a new area and explore it.

Don't let some of the comments scare you off.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:42 AM   #29
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
As a parent of a child that went to Madison, I would like to give a slightly different view of the "children activities" some of you are raving about. First off, all the trips offered required a parent to go to what ever destination was on the list. Say House on the Rock, was one. Well, the parent had to go also because there was no transportation as part of the trip. So now as a parent I must also go, what am I gaining? If I need to go too, I would go when it is convenient to me, perhaps I would avoid going to an attraction at the same time as a large group of kids, so I can actually see it. I found it odd that for a group of 40+kids they could not have a bus. The shuttle that transported people around the rally site was a deluxe coach bus. It drove in circles for days, often with no one on board. When we first saw the shuttle bus, I commented to my neighbor how nice a tour bus the folks had. I did not find out till the next day it was the shuttle and the tour bus was my truck. My daughter never went to one "kid activity" due to the fact it would actually require all of us to go. Instead, we took in all the same sites on our own. The last thing a tween wants on a "kids activity" is their parent. Wisconsin Dells was a huge hit with the kids, and a number of parents also.
Yes, having activities for the kids is a GIANT step forward, it is not and was not the silver bullet described.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Randolph , Vermont
Kids Programming

Like nearly everything else at the International Rally, the program for children and teens is an mixed up affair. It has been run by the same people for a long time. They put their hearts and spirits into it but it is underfunded and undersupplied.
I have had children attend and agree with 62O that it is not the shining star some like to portray
It has only limited resources hence parents are recruited to drive and chaperon.
They try to make the most of the areas attractions. They have had parties for teens. These events try not to conflict or compete with the evening entertaiment.
AND they never know until quite late just how many of what age groups wil be coming.
I think,IMHO, that the reason for the silver bullet rep is that folks are just so grateful someone is doing anything at all.
forfulltimin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
Quote:
To provide some positive imput for a young Airstream family like "AirEPotter" let me say that I got back into Airstreaming because of the fond memories I had as a child traveling with my parents. I attended my first International Rally in 1959 (when I was 10) and subsequently 10 others in the 60's. 70's, 80's and more recently 2009. Unless your kids are different than I or my kids, they should have a great time at an International Rally. It is a hugh gathering of shiney aluminum which is an attraction in itself. Secondly, kids should be able to make fun for themselves, and will, given the opportunity.

I didn't see any significant differences in the opportunities for young families at the 2009 Rally than my childhood memory recalls from 40 to 50 years ago.

I can only say that those memories of being around great people (most old enough to be my Grandparents) were strong enough to have me buy a 47 year old Airstream and invest over $30,000 restoring it (far more than I can recoup). After all, I could have bought any number of new travel trailers for this amount of money. If my childhood recollections did not bring back fond memories, I would never have invested this much time and treasure into re-living an important time in my life.

I just want to encourage you to give the WBCCI a try. If you go in with an open mind and a positive attitude, I'll bet that you and your children will make great memories that are more similar to mine than of those who have such negative comments.

I wish you and your family the very best. I only hope that your childrens' memories will be as fond as mine. I will forever be greatful to my parents for taking me all over North America. It was true family time.
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Lubbock , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master

To provide some positive imput for a young Airstream family like "AirEPotter" let me say that I got back into Airstreaming because of the fond memories I had as a child traveling with my parents. I attended my first International Rally in 1959 (when I was 10) and subsequently 10 others in the 60's. 70's, 80's and more recently 2009. Unless your kids are different than I or my kids, they should have a great time at an International Rally. It is a hugh gathering of shiney aluminum which is an attraction in itself. Secondly, kids should be able to make fun for themselves, and will, given the opportunity.

I didn't see any significant differences in the opportunities for young families at the 2009 Rally than my childhood memory recalls from 40 to 50 years ago.

I can only say that those memories of being around great people (most old enough to be my Grandparents) were strong enough to have me buy a 47 year old Airstream and invest over $30,000 restoring it (far more than I can recoup). After all, I could have bought any number of new travel trailers for this amount of money. If my childhood recollections did not bring back fond memories, I would never have invested this much time and treasure into re-living an important time in my life.

I just want to encourage you to give the WBCCI a try. If you go in with an open mind and a positive attitude, I'll bet that you and your children will make great memories that are more similar to mine than of those who have such negative comments.

I wish you and your family the very best. I only hope that your childrens' memories will be as fond as mine. I will forever be greatful to my parents for taking me all over North America. It was true family time.
There have been some really great comments and a few private messages-- both pro and con. I'm encouraged enough to give it a try. Will send in our WBCCI application next week and start watching the calendar and try to attend a rally this Spring or Summer. Thanks to all for the comments and encouraging words. We bought the AS to make memories and have fun and that's what we intend to do!
Old 01-09-2011, 03:35 AM   #33
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
We bought the AS to make memories and have fun and that's what we intend to do!
I think you will be very successful in making that dream come true. I often say that my Airstream was the best money ever spent. It has opened up so many opportunities that I never would had imagined possible. My children both love the adventures our trailer takes them on. They both ask "how long till we can go camping Dad?"
I encourage you to, as Grand Master and others have, to join the WBCCI and find out first hand what it is all about. There is nothing like learning things first hand. Someday when I retire, if the WB is still around, I may join again. For right now though, I am out making my own fun for myself, even if not given the opportunity.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote