Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2022, 06:06 AM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltnkat View Post
For a brand dedicated to the outdoor life and adventure, the so called terraport in Jackson Center is truly an embarrassment. If you've never been, I wouldn't plan on staying there unless it's to get work done.

I've been fulltime for over 3 years now and the best thing I can say about the terraport is that it's free. And, as other commenters have posted, it would be pretty obnoxious if it was full of visitors when you were needing to get work done.

As for the town of Jackson Center, there's a stop light. One. And a lot of miles between there and the nearest towns of Sidney and Wapakoneta (both of which are charming)--can't speak to the RVing opportunities there though.
Hi

Having a place to live in the RV while work is being done is *very* useful. Having that for free ( or even for $10 a night ) is also nice. The sites are level, they have full hookups. They are no more crowded than some commercial campgrounds I've been in. There are state and national parks that are pretty cramped as well.

That said, no, I would not head over there just to hang out. The factory tour is at most a way to kill half a day. Laundry might kill the other half of the day. You just ran out of things to do ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:17 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Well, actually, there is plenty to do around JC, depending on how far you want to go.

Since the point of the trip is a solar eclipse, the near-by Neil Armstrong museum is very cool, and easily worth the 11-mile side trip.

Other places also beckon, as you can peruse in this thread, but since you're on a short, time-limited trip, you may not have the time. If your sky viewing is weathered out, consider these as alternatives (my fav is the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton)
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 01:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltnkat View Post
I wouldn't plan on staying there unless it's to get work done.
Um, that's the whole point.
Old 11-16-2022, 02:20 PM   #24
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
A good alternative is Lake Loramie State Park which is right on the path of the eclipse. We have stayed there a coupe of times. It is about 30 minutes from the factory.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 02:46 PM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I have seen two total solar eclipses and they are well worth going to see. One was in Montana in 1979 and the other a few years ago in Idaho.

I have stayed at the Terraport and it is basic, but usable. I don’t know whether the company is going to want skywatchers there because it is for people having their Airstreams fixed. The sewer connections there are at the rear of the trailer because decades ago that’s where they were, so have extra sewer hose for the Terraport.

It would be better to go further southwest where there are fewer clouds because clouds really mess up an eclipse. Note that campgrounds will increase their prices for the eclipse and spaces will sell out quickly. Early April is tricky month for weather so getting a motel in a small town in Oklahoma may be a better alternative.

If weather is a problem, with a car or SUV you can travel hundreds of miles to clear skies in the morning before the eclipse if necessary. Be prepared for tons of traffic the day before through the day after and be in place as early as you can be.

I’m not sure when I am 83 I really care to drive that far. The thrill of it never goes away, so we’ll probably do it. We can be in remote parts of Okla. or Mo. in three days max.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:14 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post

I’m not sure when I am 83 I really care to drive that far. The thrill of it never goes away, so we’ll probably do it. We can be in remote parts of Okla. or Mo. in three days max.
Go for it. 😎
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:46 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:
I have seen two total solar eclipses and they are well worth going to see. One was in Montana in 1979 and the other a few years ago in Idaho. ……….

Gene — I share those feelings. We saw our first total eclipse in Wyoming in 2017 and it was thrilling, but not sure we want to drive so far in 2024 to see our second.

However, there is an annular eclipse (89%, just a ring uncovered) crossing SW Colorado on October 14, 2023. Real close to Grand Junction. Our plan is to make the trip and experience it in Mesa Verde NP.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:22 AM   #28
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
Gene — I share those feelings. We saw our first total eclipse in Wyoming in 2017 and it was thrilling, but not sure we want to drive so far in 2024 to see our second.

However, there is an annular eclipse (89%, just a ring uncovered) crossing SW Colorado on October 14, 2023. Real close to Grand Junction. Our plan is to make the trip and experience it in Mesa Verde NP.
Mesa Verde is slightly east of the path of maximum eclipse. The info I saw shows about 75% of the sun covered. We will be in Bluff, Utah, where the center of the line goes for maximum eclipse—more than 4 minutes I think. Four minutes during an eclipse is about the minimum to really appreciate it. Bluff is about 220 miles southwest of Grand Junction in SE Utah. We have a long relationship with an RV park there, so we have our reservations already.

For any eclipse, you may have to dodge traffic jams—for ex., in 2017, the eclipse was over in the morning and people rushed to get out of their RV park or other lodging before they'd have to pay for another day, but got stuck in major traffic because so many people left within an hour of each other. Their fuel costs in traffic may have reduced their savings. We left the next day and had no problems.

As for 2024, we are waiting for friends we have occasionally travelled with to decide. We would prefer to take the SUV because crossing the mountains in early April can be an adventure, an adventure you really don't want to repeat too often. And that way we have four drivers—two men in their early 80's and two trophy wives to mop our brows and cater to our every whim. I haven't checked lodging and I know many places gouge eclipse visitors. When we were in Idaho in 2017, we found a place that didn't increase prices, but nearby double and above were common. I have heard prices for 2023 and '24 are already going up.

Old 12-04-2022, 12:53 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Gene — agree it is a little off center of the path (south of it), but a prehistoric human settlement seems like a very cool place to experience it! For both of us, I hope the skies are clear……
Old 12-05-2022, 06:16 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
For any eclipse, you may have to dodge traffic jams—for ex., in 2017, the eclipse was over in the morning and people rushed to get out of their RV park or other lodging before they'd have to pay for another day, but got stuck in major traffic because so many people left within an hour of each other. Their fuel costs in traffic may have reduced their savings. We left the next day and had no problems.
(snip)
I haven't checked lodging and I know many places gouge eclipse visitors. When we were in Idaho in 2017, we found a place that didn't increase prices, but nearby double and above were common. I have heard prices for 2023 and '24 are already going up.

That was my reason for starting to contemplate all this:
We had a great spot for the 2017 eclipse, but weren't camping, so we were in the middle of all the east Tennessee traffic that year. For the 2024 one, I want to camp, stay put afterwards, let traffic clear out and get on the road a day later.

Staying AT JC isn't my plan, but given its proximity to the center line, thought it'd be a place to check around for a place to stay. It was just my initial search, emailing campgrounds that are ON the centerline, and continuing to get replies of "we'll still be closed, but we'll be open two weeks later", was, surprising... I thought they'd be eager to have a heads up on needing to plan to open a couple of weeks early, but most have been uninterested.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 01:21 PM   #31
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
Gene — agree it is a little off center of the path (south of it), but a prehistoric human settlement seems like a very cool place to experience it! For both of us, I hope the skies are clear……
There are prehistoric human settlements all through the Four Corners. Bluff had two, but they are covered by dirt to preserve them from tourist destruction. Canyons of the Ancients NM is on the southwestern border of Colorado and Utah and has some ruins. Bear’s Ears NM is in Utah and there are ruins and rock art everywhere.

At Mesa Verde with about 75% coverage of the sun, the effect will be minor and maybe not noticeable. The sun is so bright most of it can be covered and it is still quite light out.

October in the area is usually pretty clear since this is desert and rain is not too common. There may be a few nights below freezing, but maybe not in mid October. Snow—unlikely, but possible.

Old 12-06-2022, 05:07 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:
There are prehistoric human settlements all through the Four Corners. Bluff had two, but they are covered by dirt to preserve them from tourist destruction. Canyons of the Ancients NM is on the southwestern border of Colorado and Utah and has some ruins. Bear’s Ears NM is in Utah and there are ruins and rock art everywhere.

At Mesa Verde with about 75% coverage of the sun, the effect will be minor and maybe not noticeable. The sun is so bright most of it can be covered and it is still quite light out.

October in the area is usually pretty clear since this is desert and rain is not too common. There may be a few nights below freezing, but maybe not in mid October. Snow—unlikely, but possible.
Thanks for the helpful info. We know this will be a weak experience compared to being dead center on the path of the total eclipse in 2017, but my wife has never been to Mesa Verde so the combination is a rare opportunity.

We drove almost 3,000 miles round trip to see the 2017 total, and I encourage everyone who has not experienced a total eclipse to just do it.
Old 05-10-2023, 04:30 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Portsmouth , New Hampshire
Having done 7 total eclipses, the incredible luxury of having our Aistreams we can watch the weather and head to anywhere the eclipse track follows. Even the side of the road, or if the clouds are a problem, head out a 5am to a good area. The problem will be traffic, of course,
dspeltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 10:57 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Eclipse forecast for JC

So early April in Ohio has a fair chance of cloudy skies obscuring the view, but it's hard to predict until a day or two away.

But here is a nifty forecast based on historical data for Jackson Center on April 8th. Spoiler: There's roughly a one in three chance of rain that day.

And here is a rough animation of what the 2024 eclipse will look like from JC on that date at around 3 PM Eastern that includes links to weather forecasts for that area when it gets closer.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 08:59 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2022 19' Bambi
Columbus , Indiana
Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
In early April of 2024, there'll be a total solar eclipse crossing the US, from Texas to Maine. Cities like Dallas, Little Rock, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Niagara, you could sit home and watch it. But for those of us further away, we'll have to travel a bit. For myself, I'm intending on finding a campsite along the path, get there a day or two ahead, watch it, then wait for traffic to clear out and head home the next day.

As much as I might like to go to Texas to see it (drier air, less chance of cloud cover, etc.), the wife's schedule won't allow her the extra travel time, so I've been looking along the path where it's closest to home, somewhere in the vicinity of the IN-OH border, north of Cincinnati. I've been looking for a campground along the centerline, found several, but almost all have replied that they're going to still be winterized in early April, suggesting I plan to come later in the month (eh... don't think I can reschedule an eclipse now, lol... ).

But it just occurred to me, Jackson Center is not far off the center-line of the path, it might be a good place to be.

Not having been to Jackson Center myself... I'm aware that there's a spot where you can camp if you're having your camper worked on, but my understanding is that it's not large. Are there other campgrounds around there? Is an eclipse rally at JC something that might be possible? Is there a place where 'streamers could park for a couple of days there?

Just spitballin' at this point...

Dayton KOA is advertising specials for the eclipse
Bambisafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 10:19 AM   #36
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
More and more I don't think we will go to see this eclipse. I don't feel excited and Barb doesn't seem to either. I have seen two and she has seen one. They are amazing, but while we still have memories, we may well have to remember them.

We are going to the annular eclipse next October—it pass just west of us, but we have reservations in Bluff (along the centerline), Utah at the campground we always go to there. Friends will join us. Driving a thousand miles seems like more than we want to do. We also seem to have a lot funerals to go to as Barb's family is large with many very old people. We never know when plans have to be reversed and we have to drive somewhere. And we visit others nearing the end. That is all grim, but reality for many seniors.

When we went to Idaho for the 2017 one, we were lucky to find a campground that didn't raise their rates. Others had to pay double or more. I am sure the same is true for motels and hotels. In 2017, the eclipse was over just before checkout time at many lodgings and CG's. People mostly rushed to get on the highway to avoid paying for another night and created massive traffic jams. They may have wasted more money idling in traffic than they saved. The 2024 eclipse is in the afternoon, so the same may happen in reverse as people rush at the last minute to check in somewhere just before the eclipse and get stuck in traffic and miss the totality phase.

Many years ago, around 1962, I had a neighbor in Pennsylvania that witnessed a total eclipse in The Bronx. It may have been in 1930. They were on top of their apartment house, probably 6 stories as most built then were that height. They told me they could see the line between a little bit of light and totality approaching and later leaving them (is that the "terminator"?). It moves at about 1,000 mph. That would be something to experience. Most of the path goes through flat places for 2024 though.

I guess if I wait long enough to make a conscious decision, I won't be able to make reservations anyway.

Old 06-25-2023, 06:34 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Lancaster , Ohio
Hi, Leslie. Airstream Club, Region 4, is sponsoring an Eclipse Rally near Jackson Center that will include factory tours. Go to the Region 4 Website and registration will begin July 10, 2023. The dates of the Eclipse Rally are April 7-11, 2024.

I hope you can attend!
NeverInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 05:11 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverInn View Post
Hi, Leslie. Airstream Club, Region 4, is sponsoring an Eclipse Rally near Jackson Center that will include factory tours. Go to the Region 4 Website and registration will begin July 10, 2023. The dates of the Eclipse Rally are April 7-11, 2024.

I hope you can attend!
I found the Region 5 one, but I've not found the Region 4 one. I'll keep looking.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 02:46 PM   #39

Russellville , Arkansas
Russellville, AR ranked number one site in Arkansas by Astronomy magazine and number one by Forbes magazine. 4+ minutes of totality. In ozark settings. Spring outdoor hiking, kayaking and fishing. Blue moon and bluegrass concerts scheduled. NASA and NOAA scientists in town giving presentations the week leading up to the Monday eclipse. Weather a 70% probability of fair to great.
Chuck Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 04:41 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
RE: April 2024 Eclipse in Southern Illinois

Southern Illinois University in Carbondale is one of the hosts of Southern Illinois 2024 Eclipse Crossroads of America. There are some events that require tickets, some are first come, first serve, others are free. There is quite a variety of activities from what I have been able to gather. I do not know whether the local WBCCI group has a Rally scheduled, but there are two state parks nearby -- Giant City State Park in Makanda, IL and Ferne Clyffe State Park in Goreville, IL. There are four commercial campgrounds within reasonable range of the university campus.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote