Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2022, 07:06 AM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltnkat View Post
For a brand dedicated to the outdoor life and adventure, the so called terraport in Jackson Center is truly an embarrassment. If you've never been, I wouldn't plan on staying there unless it's to get work done.

I've been fulltime for over 3 years now and the best thing I can say about the terraport is that it's free. And, as other commenters have posted, it would be pretty obnoxious if it was full of visitors when you were needing to get work done.

As for the town of Jackson Center, there's a stop light. One. And a lot of miles between there and the nearest towns of Sidney and Wapakoneta (both of which are charming)--can't speak to the RVing opportunities there though.
Hi

Having a place to live in the RV while work is being done is *very* useful. Having that for free ( or even for $10 a night ) is also nice. The sites are level, they have full hookups. They are no more crowded than some commercial campgrounds I've been in. There are state and national parks that are pretty cramped as well.

That said, no, I would not head over there just to hang out. The factory tour is at most a way to kill half a day. Laundry might kill the other half of the day. You just ran out of things to do ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:17 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Well, actually, there is plenty to do around JC, depending on how far you want to go.

Since the point of the trip is a solar eclipse, the near-by Neil Armstrong museum is very cool, and easily worth the 11-mile side trip.

Other places also beckon, as you can peruse in this thread, but since you're on a short, time-limited trip, you may not have the time. If your sky viewing is weathered out, consider these as alternatives (my fav is the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton)
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 02:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltnkat View Post
I wouldn't plan on staying there unless it's to get work done.
Um, that's the whole point.
Old 11-16-2022, 03:20 PM   #24
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
A good alternative is Lake Loramie State Park which is right on the path of the eclipse. We have stayed there a coupe of times. It is about 30 minutes from the factory.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 03:46 PM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I have seen two total solar eclipses and they are well worth going to see. One was in Montana in 1979 and the other a few years ago in Idaho.

I have stayed at the Terraport and it is basic, but usable. I don’t know whether the company is going to want skywatchers there because it is for people having their Airstreams fixed. The sewer connections there are at the rear of the trailer because decades ago that’s where they were, so have extra sewer hose for the Terraport.

It would be better to go further southwest where there are fewer clouds because clouds really mess up an eclipse. Note that campgrounds will increase their prices for the eclipse and spaces will sell out quickly. Early April is tricky month for weather so getting a motel in a small town in Oklahoma may be a better alternative.

If weather is a problem, with a car or SUV you can travel hundreds of miles to clear skies in the morning before the eclipse if necessary. Be prepared for tons of traffic the day before through the day after and be in place as early as you can be.

I’m not sure when I am 83 I really care to drive that far. The thrill of it never goes away, so we’ll probably do it. We can be in remote parts of Okla. or Mo. in three days max.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote