Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
legislative note

I was originally going to PM this to Dan, but I figured I'd post my ideas here for discussion, or perhaps I should say for attack since that's usually what happens when I suggest something.

Dan: I finally read ALL the words of the proposed NOVA constitution. I really like the way you've boiled everything down to basically an "Admin" and the Imm.Past.Admin. Beautiful. Since you/we and making a wholesale tear-up of the constitution, I was thinking maybe we could tweak one more thing before it becomes official.

I am thinking Article III, Sec. 4. When someone sells their airstream, that ends their involvement in the basic act of camping. The only time we would "see" that person would be potentially during on-line meetings. I think that for NOVA, Article III, Sec. 4 should read (deletions in red, additions in blue):
"Regular Members who have sold their recreational vehicle manufactured by Airstream, Inc., may, upon request, retain their membership as Regular Members of this Unit pursuant to the provisions of Sec. 2 ARTICLE VI of the International Constitution. Such Regular Members shall possess all the rights and privileges of the International Club, including full voting rights in all elections and on all questions. Such Regular Members may not hold a position on the Executive Board nor a committee position within NOVA nor does said Member receive consideration through NOVA for a vote toward unit or national issues or motions."
Rationale:
  1. Being that NOVA is a virtual unit, potentially tons of people could "join" NOVA only to never been seen or heard of since they don't go camping anymore and they don't participate in online meetings. This modification to Sec. 4 would prevent "freeloading" via NOVA.
  2. It's a sore point personally with a number of people that someone who doesn't own an airstream and doesn't camp can still have a say / vote in what goes on with the national club / unit. It's fine if you want to continue to get the Blue Beret and the NOVA newsletter, then pay up. But, if you want a vote, you either need to have an airstream or you need to find another unit to hang onto rather than NOVA.
Discussion / rebuttal / etc; anyone?
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:00 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Friends

Dan had mentioned earlier that perhaps we need a category of membership called FRIENDS of NOVA, in the spirit of being inclusive rather than exclusive. Perhaps those not owning Airstreams anymore might feel comfortable participating online, without a vote, in this kind of category. Visiting a rally or campout sans Airstream would never be a problem. As it hasn't ever been a problem in the past. All are welcomed!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #103
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I don't think the unit can define different types of memberships. Members are defined in the clubs constitution and the units need to follow the same requirements.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #104
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Unit Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Let's be fair in our analogies! NOVA will be more like a Hooters than a Burger King. Same food, just more attractive.

wow. I can't believe I just typed that....
Does this mean we'll have to wear white tops & orange shorts to actual meetings?

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:10 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Start it but withhold I say

Dan,

Just want to say joining and giving the money hungry IBT anything right now is the wrong message to be sending them.. you'd be better off collecting the money, starting your group and waiting to see what the IBT does in January at the Mid Winter.. before you go sending them their mileage reimbursement funds because that's right where it's going to go... hold your new Unit dues back until they make some smarter choices.....

Just a couple cents to consider!

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Thanks for your opinion Rob.

May I offer a couple of quick corrections just to be very clear. I am not collecting any money. All payments are going directly to the WBCCI.

The individuals that have chosen to become NOVA members are intelligent people who have made an independant decision to join. I will trust in their judgement & proceed as planned. Doing anything else just wouldn't be proper.

Although we may be traveling different roads, I look forward to camping with you and your family again.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #107
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Quote:

Although we may be traveling different roads, I look forward to camping with you and your family again.
I hear ya Dan.. and yes - we will for sure campi together again, as well as Caravan too--- last summer's Caravan WAS alot of fun!

Just wanted to make sure how you're feeding the misappropriation of funds!
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:13 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Dan,

I have not previously been a member of WBCCI and I am not fully aware of its workings let alone all the different acronymns I am seeing!

I am wondering however what your best guess is as to the timing of the process to have NOVA up and running - apologies if you have already covered this!

I did sign up on the NOVA forum before Christmas, and at the time thought that things might move fairly quickly. From various posts I am now reading however, I am assuming it could be quite some time - and I suppose it is still not certain that it will ever happen.

I am wondering if it might be best for prospective new members to join an existing unit now and then switch later to NOVA depending on developments?

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:38 AM   #109
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Hi Brian,

Your application is going to be given to the WBCCI within the next couple of days. As soon as it is processed, you will be able to enjoy the same benefits that everyone else does.

The timeline for NOVA is as follows.

- About a month ago, NOVA went "Public" accepting membership.
- Jan 1, 2010 NOVA applications will be turned over to Regional President and WBCCI.
- Provisional Charter will be granted.
- At the international in July, full charter will be presented for consideration.

NOVA has already had it's first meeting. I'm thinking this coming Sunday may be a good time for another.

We currently have two events on our calendar, and suspect a couple of more will be added shortly. I suspect about the end of the month we will elect officers.

In other words, don't think that we won't be active! NOVA will be having fun with our friends right away.

www.campnova.com

Old 12-31-2009, 05:42 AM   #110
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Just a friendly reminder:

When the ball drops to close out the decade tonight, your opportunity to be a charter member of NOVA ceases to exist!

I encourage all to consider this special opportunity to be part of a new progression in the WBCCI. If you are already a member of WBCCI, please consider showing your support by becoming an affiliate member. We could use all the backing we can get.

Have a safe night

www.campnova.com

Old 12-31-2009, 06:15 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
NOVA has already had it's first meeting. I'm thinking this coming Sunday may be a good time for another.
If that thought becomes reality, then please give us notice ASAP. Today is Thursday after all...

Quote:
I suspect about the end of the month we will elect officers.
Will the officer structure as laid out on the provisional constitution on the NOVA website really going to be how it's set up? So our officer elections would be for an Admin and a pseudo-immediate past Admin?

-Jason
Old 12-31-2009, 06:29 AM   #112
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Jason,

Just throwing the Sunday thought out there. Maybe an informal one this week to update people?

Re: the officers. Officially, nope. Per legal consul, we must have a pres, vice pres, & tres/sec'y . This is req'd per Ohio rev. code. Unofficially, I suppose we could call them whatever we want!

Perhaps the President could appoint the administrator?

www.campnova.com

Old 12-31-2009, 07:14 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Hi Brian,

Your application is going to be given to the WBCCI within the next couple of days. As soon as it is processed, you will be able to enjoy the same benefits that everyone else does.

Thanks Dan,

The point that was confusing me was that I had read in the various posts about possible approval the charter in July and my interpretation was that it meant nothing was certain until then, and that membership in WBCCI via NOVA would not be a fact until that time.

Are you saying that it is anticipated that those such as me who are not presently members of WBCCI who submitted applications to join NOVA would in fact become members of WBCCI as January?

I guess it is no big deal either way, just trying to be sure I understand!

We will be heading South for a month or so early in the New Year and may try to stop in at a couple of Airstream parks in Florida, space permitting. It may be that membership is not required at these parks anyway.

Thanks again ................... Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:32 AM   #114
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
You, as well as all the other applicants, will be WBCCI members as soon as the office processes the applications.

I wish I was going to Florida with you!

www.campnova.com

Old 12-31-2009, 07:57 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
We will be heading South for a month or so early in the New Year and may try to stop in at a couple of Airstream parks in Florida, space permitting. It may be that membership is not required at these parks anyway.
Most if not all "Airstream Parks" are in deed that...an Airstream park, not a WBCCI park. We've stayed at 2 Airstream Parks thus far in our travels and while we are WBCCI members, it was not required to stay. All that's required it that your trailer was made by Airstream. You'll find in the park that there's a mixture of trailers with and without red numbers. Nevertheless, call ahead to make sure they don't require WBCCI. But, the telling them that you WBCCI application is pending with NOVA might help!
Old 12-31-2009, 08:05 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Jason,

Just throwing the Sunday thought out there. Maybe an informal one this week to update people?

Re: the officers. Officially, nope. Per legal consul, we must have a pres, vice pres, & tres/sec'y . This is req'd per Ohio rev. code. Unofficially, I suppose we could call them whatever we want!

Perhaps the President could appoint the administrator?
Sunday night is cool by me, just set a time and get it out there so we can plan to be online at that time.

So we must have min. 3 officers. Hmmm, I'd say that the "Pres." could also be the "Admin" as described in the constitution. I guess we need two additional positions beyond that. Perhaps Sunday's chat would be a good time for those interested in such a position to throw their name in the hat.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #117
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via MSN to Sparty73 Send a message via Yahoo to Sparty73
Dan: For those who will not be able to take part in any potential Sunday meeting can you post a summary of what happened? I'll be taking my son to the airport Sunday night.
Sparty73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Was the first meeting the chat at Air Forums? I think e-mail alerts would be a great way to announce events. I have not had a personal response to applying for membership but assume the generic is a fit for most?

How long will it take to get a charter approved and do you have plans to keep the group together whether a charter is granted or not?

I think the internet group could start to meet regularly somewhere, perhaps a Yahoo e-mail list, and start forging relationships and sharing ideas and fellowship. I have not seen what members have requested membership on the official site as yet. Could that information be shared online?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
I think the internet group could start to meet regularly somewhere, perhaps a Yahoo e-mail list, and start forging relationships and sharing ideas and fellowship.?
I had posted this here before and there was no response but I'll suggest it again...at least two of us here use Yahoo Messenger to communicate / chat online. If everyone involved in NOVA downloaded this and turned it on anytime they are willing to chat then we would always know who's online. Since NOVA is to be internet based, I think this would be a good idea.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Folks,

Sorry for not keeping everything pushing forward. There are two reasons for that. First, Christmas time! I trust no explanation is needed here. Second, I chose to let NOVA lay low during the past several days of WBCCI debate. The sidelines were a good place to be.

This Sunday around 8, I invite anyone to meet in the chat room to discuss whatever is on your mind.

We do have several developments including the creation of a private forum to use as we see fit.

"Was the first meeting the chat at Air Forums?" ------Yes.

"I think e-mail alerts would be a great way to announce events." -----Announcements will be made via email and posts through Airforums.

"I have not had a personal response to applying for membership but assume the generic is a fit for most?" ------I'm sorry for that! I tried to respond personally to each form, but got backed up. I will soon be assembling a complete roster and a bulk confirmation email will go out. If I miss anybody, I promise to make it right!

"How long will it take to get a charter approved" ------The regional President can issue are Provisional Charter at any time after HQ confirms the members. This won't happen until after mid-winters.

"....do you have plans to keep the group together whether a charter is granted or not?" ------- That decision will be made by the members, but I would guess the answer is yes.

"I think the internet group could start to meet regularly somewhere, perhaps a Yahoo e-mail list, and start forging relationships and sharing ideas and fellowship. I have not seen what members have requested membership on the official site as yet. Could that information be shared online?" ----- Andy R. has set us up with a private area here on AirForums. It will be the decision of the club, but I suspect we will employ Airforums as much as possible. It has proven reliable and well moderated. Additionally, the web site will be used to share information and accept registrations and other fun stuff.

On a personal note, I work for a great architectural firm in Lorain. I'm responsible for the creation of major construction documents for large projects as well as keeping all of our computer systems, software, and data intack. Every now and then that means 100 hour weeks! Well, this isn't that bad right now, but getting close. So, I'm trying to get the critical stuff done and some of the other stuff may be slipping. I'll be looking for some help soon, so maybe you can think about it for Sunday.

Go Buckeyes!

www.campnova.com