Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2009, 08:16 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
I did not realize, but last night I forwarded this info to friends of mine, (maybe they might be intrested) not realizing 1 is this regions membership chairmen. He is checking, with the President, but as of this point no one new of this new unit trying to Form.

Hope this helps
That is not correct. I have talked to the Region 4 President about this proposed new Unit, as has DanB. The Region 4 President is supportive of this idea, at least in concept. I do think that some of the ByLaws changes DanB is proposing may generate debate, but the concept of a new unit I do not expect to become a stumbling block.

Remember that this new Unit (NOVA) is not being created to take anything away from existing Units that are hopefully very satisfying for all of their current members. It is about providing an opportunity for a different WBCCI experience in the hope of attracting new WBCCI members or retaining current members (MAL or from other Units) that are disenchanted and may not renew.

Quote:
All I am syaing is, it is a circle. I belong to the WBCCI, I am in a unit, and we do alot of camping, travel, white water rafting, and so much more. Well planned events. I really have ne reason to join something vitual, when I can actually do it.
Regarding this thought, if you visit the NOVA web site, DanB is already starting plaining for Rallies next year. This unit will still be about getting together in person and doing things, just not doing so to handle club business. DanB has already proven he can do this as he organized the very successful "Airstreams in the Wilds" event this past September. More than half the attendees at that rally were already WBCCI members, just not the organizer (DanB).
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:23 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
rallying

DanB and a bunch of forums members have been camping around OH, MI and PA together this past several years. We have been active and having fun!! It is all about the camping!!!! We just think that meetings and business does not have to be part of the camping experience. Besides the potlucks and campfires take up too much time. NOVA offers the opportunity for all of us to participate from a wider geographic area in the business end without having to travel miles and miles for meetings. Instead we travel for pleasurable camping and plan our meeting business online. Perfect!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I have a correction to make here, After last nights email, then todays morning email. The membership chairmen hadent heard , but has now been informed... in ref to a possible new unit

After conversation it is thought that the location, Larain, is between Toledo and Cleveland, although closer to Cleveland, might pick up new members into the WBCCI.

The Bylaws are still going to have to be inline, and be approved by the international. This = alot of bussiness meetings. My only thought is, and it is not ment to be negative, although may be interprited as such. It seems like alot of meetings, paperwork, and effort when there are already established local units. That means, join a Unit, and free up time for camping.

The Unit I belong to, has a great line up of events next year. WV, Southern Ohio, Western Ohio, NY. We do mystery Rallies to, No one knows where your going, but the leader, and there is a mile restriction for planning purposes. I understand other units have a great line up to. Not to mention any camp outs that are done, and not listed. I understand the issue of rules, or bylaws as stated in your original Instant message, and hats. I dont think this Unit has worn Berrets since the 90's. I think we have 2 B meetings a year. The meetings are not mandatory either. In other words, we have an established unit, which free's up time for Fun, fellowship, adventure, and alot of campfires.

Once again, I am not saying it wont happen, but its alot of work to establish, and there is no geopgraphic area for unit membership eitherway.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudruff View Post
We are almost at 10! Goodie, Dave glad to have you with us! We are looking forward to seeing you, Dave. We will hope to cross our northern OH border to have some fun up there with our MI friends!!!
Thank you Lou and Larry! It has been a great camping with you every time, and I have been wanting to do more camping in OH, so I suppose this is our opportunity. Perhaps Larry and I can break into a few more vehicles.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Internet activity is what will set this unit apart from other units. Not just having a presence but being current and active.

There are units out there that still do not have a web site and if they do it is not updated. Business is not conducted over the internet nor are membership fees set to be taken online with only a few exceptions.

Many units' members do not experience the connectivity and growth both in numbers and in philosophy that an internet community can provide. The internet associations we will have will not only be for the purposes of conducting business but for socializing and having fun virtually much as we do on AirForums but as the NOVA unit.

The cost of local membership is also set more in accordance to volunteerism as most of the new units that are being formed, charge only a nominal fee. That demonstrates that success is not commensurate with higher fees collected. While local membership fees do not affect the International level of fees, it does clearly send a message. Those units know how to provide member satisfaction without relying on collecting money to achieve a good experience for all members, and something we hope our higher governance will soon adopt and adapt to themselves on our collective behalf.

New units have shown that they do not jeopardise or otherwise negatively impact existing local units. Conversely new units bring refreshment, exhileration, enthusiasm and stimulation along with their changes. Newly formed units serve the purpose of recruiting members that do not join existing units. Every unit has its own personality and as such there is no one unit that fits all but a variety of units spice the WBCCI experience.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
The Unit I belong to, has a great line up of events next year. WV, Southern Ohio, Western Ohio, NY. We do mystery Rallies to, No one knows where your going, but the leader, and there is a mile restriction for planning purposes. I understand other units have a great line up to. Not to mention any camp outs that are done, and not listed. I understand the issue of rules, or bylaws as stated in your original Instant message, and hats. I dont think this Unit has worn Berrets since the 90's. I think we have 2 B meetings a year. The meetings are not mandatory either. In other words, we have an established unit, which free's up time for Fun, fellowship, adventure, and alot of campfires.
Please state what unit this is. We (Andrea and I) visited two local unit in Ohio before joining WDCU (and would have visited a third, but they hold their meetings on THURSDAY!!! at LUNCHTIME!!! which is impossible for a working family to attend). I'll spare the details of why we didn't "click" with the Ohio units; I've ranted about it enough on these forums before now. Instead, we joined WDCU because we were able to obtain more info about them and what they do as a unit via their website than we were able to obtain in person with the other two units. Plus, they have parents and kids active in the unit on a regular basis and there are activities specifically planned toward kids at each rally.

There is a need for something like NOVA in the Ohio area and if people from Nevada, Cali., Utah, England, Italy, etc. join the club (like they have with WDCU) then so be it. It's something that's needed because many people want the flexibility of being able to interact with their unit buddies online and not have to block out an entire night and travel and buy dinner and get home in time for the kids' bedtime, etc. as with a conventional unit.

Obviously there's a local, conventional unit that works for you (and I'm interested to know what it is). Obviously though there's a significant number of people that this does not work for. And those of us have found ways to adapt (i.e. MAL, join WDCU, NEU, 4CU, Detroit Metro). Now, there's hopefully something centered in the midwest that fits the bill, too.

Full speed ahead for NOVA. Good job to all that have gotten it so far already.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Quote:
I have a correction to make here, After last nights email, then todays morning email. The membership chairmen hadent heard , but has now been informed... in ref to a possible new unit

After conversation it is thought that the location, Larain, is between Toledo and Cleveland, although closer to Cleveland, might pick up new members into the WBCCI.

The Bylaws are still going to have to be inline, and be approved by the international. This = alot of bussiness meetings. My only thought is, and it is not ment to be negative, although may be interprited as such. It seems like alot of meetings, paperwork, and effort when there are already established local units. That means, join a Unit, and free up time for camping.

Once again, I am not saying it wont happen, but its alot of work to establish, and there is no geopgraphic area for unit membership eitherway.

Be positive! AND Think "BIGGER"

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Jason - my guess is Mustang is in the Akron Unit. They have a nice web site (keep it up to date) and encourage younger members to join.

We just sent in our application for NOVA....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
Jason - my guess is Mustang is in the Akron Unit. They have a nice web site (keep it up to date) and encourage younger members to join.
That's interesting...that was the unit that we joined for lunch one time. Upon seeing a high chair for my youngest child at the end of the table one person exclaimed, "is this some kind of joke?"
Old 12-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
hmmmm, that sounds like you could have been the first younger member they might have gotten then and why younger people are being encouraged to join...

It used to be there were no children in MD unit either. Lots of units have been aging out.

photography
Old 12-12-2009, 09:16 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
OMG - well that's what the web site says anyway....
In defense of the Akron group - I talked to the membership chair before attending the luncheon. He was a guy who has kids and is active in the unit with his kids. BUT, he and his family were not at the luncheon (imagine that, the lunch wasn't convenient for a family to attend).

We socialized with many people in the lobby of the restaurant before being seating for lunch, including the original owner of our AS. That was actually quite neat. And I must say that the people that we sat near and socialized with at the luncheon were quite nice and open to us. But, the people there were not the people that we would like to camp with. Nice people, but not who we want to camp with.

One might say that if we went to a camping event rather than a luncheon that we would meet families, but I am not going to join a unit where one group goes to the luncheons and there is completely another that goes camping. A unit is supposed to be unified. The people that go to lunch should be those that go camping, too.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Thats too bad you had a bad experience for your family. I sure hope it was more of a misunderstanding then a common incident.

It really isn't the intent of NOVA to compete with any existing WBCCI unit. As a member of NOVA, I look forward to being a member of the WBCCI family and participating in region events if possible.

It seems every WBCCI unit has differernet personalities, as will NOVA. I'm sure Akron has great friendly members. I cetainly would encourage potential WBCCI members to investiate different units to determine where they best fit.

After all, its all about Airstreamers having fun!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:56 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
That's interesting...that was the unit that we joined for lunch one time. Upon seeing a high chair for my youngest child at the end of the table one person exclaimed, "is this some kind of joke?"

I will say, I am in the Akron Unit, I am also the President of it. I raised 4 children, in it, ( many high chairs) and honestly find it hard to beleive this statement. I can only wonder which luncheon...

I have been in this unit since I was 29. It is a great group of people and we are growing. Everyone is like family, and has been to my kids as well. My sons when they come home from college often ask how everyone is. They were a very positive influence in there lives. My oldest son is 28, when he and his wife bought there new vehicle, it had to be able to tow, as he said there will be an airstream in there driveway, and he will be a member if the Akron Unit. They live in Bowling Green.

As far as attitudes, I have gotten my share at Internationals, I can appreciatewhen I hear this, but never from anyone in the unit. My kids used to go out to go fishing, and land up coming back with all kinds of home made cookies. LOL. I will say this Akron Unit is a rare group, that is very active, and have no attitudes.

I might also add, the same people at luncheons are at Rallies, uinless they head south which many retired folks do.

We are having 2 buddy Rallies next year also. One in June, then one perhaps in August or Sept. Keep an eye on the website if anyone is intrested. In West Virginia, we did alot of sight seeing, and did some white water Rafting, ect. This should be abother fun year to.

I will keep my eye out for NOVA when it gets formed, and maybe an affiliate membership is possible, and maybe likewise for members of NOVA, and perhaps some Co-Rallies to. It is all about fun fellowship, and adventure makeing new friends along the way.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Quote:

We just sent in our application for NOVA....

I want to take time to thank you for your compliment.

I want to also add, we encourage members even if they are not able to tow, to be active members. If it means getting a hotel room near an event, then we will help them. The alumni membership built this Unit and will always have a spot for there chair at our dinners, and campfires.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
I will keep my eye out for NOVA when it gets formed, and maybe an affiliate membership is possible, and maybe likewise for members of NOVA, and perhaps some Co-Rallies to. It is all about fun fellowship, and adventure makeing new friends along the way.
Sounds good Mustang! Brad and I are always looking for new places to visit. Ohio is a great destination from our location here in South Eastern Michigan and we have always enjoyed our trips to Ohio.

So far we have camped at Mary's Lake and Hocking Hills and of course the Motherland in Jackson Center. What destinations do you recommend and/or have scheduled for the Akron rallies? We like to hike and take pictures when we aren't eating . Hey we need to walk off those rich potlucks all! And don't forget our fur babies, now that we are older they are family and travel everywhere with us.

photography
Old 12-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
OH camping

Carol, You have yet to try lots of great Ohio places. We love West Branch, which is over near Mustang, I think. We loved Salt Fork, except for the skunk population. Dillon State Park is a fall beauty. Down by Mikethefixit is a great lake/state park called Buck Creek. Hueston Woods is a good one in his neck of the woods too. There are several pretty ones near Columbus too. The one nearest to us is Findley SP, but of course our driveway is close enough by that we would love to see you if you get down this-a-way!
Larry and I haven't met up with Mustang and family yet, although he has been invited to several of our little informal forums rallies. We look forward to meeting him on down the road one of these days.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 12-13-2009, 03:31 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Well let's get this snow out of the way and let the fun begin! I know the Ohio Parks magazine is quite impressive. Those parks would be all new to us but they sound like places of natural beauty and we really like exploring new places.

Lou how do you tell if someone is saying OH as in OH My, or OH as in WKRP in Cincinatti? OH camping! YEA!

photography
Old 12-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Sounds good Mustang! Brad and I are always looking for new places to visit. Ohio is a great destination from our location here in South Eastern Michigan and we have always enjoyed our trips to Ohio.

So far we have camped at Mary's Lake and Hocking Hills and of course the Motherland in Jackson Center. What destinations do you recommend and/or have scheduled for the Akron rallies? We like to hike and take pictures when we aren't eating . Hey we need to walk off those rich potlucks all! And don't forget our fur babies, now that we are older they are family and travel everywhere with us.
Wheel I dont want to hijack this thread, I will private message you. We update our websites events continuously. I do wish the forming group of NOVA good luck, and I would offer any info they might request. I have never been part of forming a new Unit, But have a copy of the WBCCI laws and regs for reffrencing. For me it is all about fellowship no matter what Unit. As I stated earlier, perhaps I will become and affiliate member of this Unit.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Loudruff... I was amazed at the improvements at West Branch... The Mohican area has alot of great places to. Pleasant Hill CG is nice... It is realy amazing how many things are so close to home. Some of the CG in Streetsboro are pricey, but convenient for The peninsula and the Virginia Kendal area... There is a bikepath that goes from south of Akron all the way up to cleveland, and a train that parralels the towpath.

PS: My wife and I have missed meeting all of you people to...
Old 12-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Lou how do you tell if someone is saying OH as in OH My, or OH as in WKRP in Cincinatti? OH camping! YEA!
I think that all of those "OH"s mean Ohio! Be careful with that reference to WKRP...you are too young to know about all of that!! LOL!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2