RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-16-2020, 11:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Bambi
Wilderness , MO
International Rally (land children)

We are new members (with our Big Red Numbers) and as such have never attended an International Rally. We would like to attend the 64th Rally in July, but would appreciate your thoughts as pertains to the question addressed below.

We have a granddaughter who will be 6 years old at the time of the Rally. We are responsible for much of her care and she very often, always with great anticipation on her part, goes camping with us in our Bambi 19cb. She has camped with us for most of her life, and as such, is no stranger to camping (and smores). She will be traveling with us for most of the summer of 2021. We understand that the Rally might be geared towards adults, but would you all please share with us what her experience at the Rally would be like? We can play only so many games of Candyland in a day.

Thank you
jfreeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 12:00 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
While there are not very many children at the International, in previous rallies there were numerous activities for the children with supervision. You could check with the club office to ensure that this will be the case again this year.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 12:26 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Talking Bring Her !

While it is true that most activities specifically for kids at Int rally are not there anymore, donít let that keep her away. If she already likes camping the sheer size of the rally will be quite the experience. Plus, with all the changes of kids not being in school in person this year, I have seen lots more of them at rallies. I trust that will continue into the summer. A welcome return to kinda how it used to be IMO. Plus, they always seem to find each other even in a big crowd.

At a bigger rally last month, 195 rigs, the kids were given special status to ensure they felt good about being there and were having a good time. If there is nothing planned for them then our members can surely step up and change that..

They donít call it the Airstream family for nothing

See You Down the Road.... Doll
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:26 AM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I agree - bring her!

While it is true that in recent years there have been fewer kids, I also think that the demographics of Airstreamers are changing -there will be more kids.

Sometimes all it takes is for one person to step up and say - I'm bringing a kid... others may read that and think "... hmm.. ok, maybe I should as well"

When my kid was in grade school every summer his grandfather made a point of taking him on some adventure through the elderhostel (now Roadscholar) program

They did all sorts of things... story telling festivals, ropes courses, Kayaking tours, a route 66 road trip, grand canyon rafting, etc. These trips shaped his world view and installed a permanent sense of adventure. Today as an adult, he travels the world, keeps his eyes on the horizon and continues that exploration.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote

« Numbers and Names | Top | - »