Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #121
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post

I might also offer a revealing post from RV.net this morning:

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Rallies, Shows and Gatherings: A New FMCA Maybe?

Lynn
Way back in prehistoric times, shortly after buying an Airstream and attending my first International in Bozeman (1973) the company I was working for decided they needed some representation at the FMCA rallies.
As the only RVer working for the company I was asked to do it.

Always looking for an opportunity to use my new trailer I called FMCA HQ and asked if I could bring my trailer and my family.
I received an affirmative answer with no hesitation.
We attended at least 4 of their International Rallies in places like DuQouin and Salem plus several more in Florida. All in our trailer
We were always given good parking and my family was able to participate in all the events going on while i was working and we attended the excellent entertainment in the evening.
At that time the WBCCI was nearing it's peak and the FMCA was still a fledgling organization. number 10,000 was passed out at one of these rallies.

We found the FMCA rally to be much more fun than the WBCCI rallies.

Now, to drag this back on topic, Possibly if the WBCCI would extend the same courtesy to our Vendors that travel by RV and have families instead of pushing them off in a corner we would get a few more vendors
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #122
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Ottawa , Ontario
Once again procedural manipulation trumps honest discussion and informed decision-making. Preparation included selected quotes from legal opinions, refusal to share how the proposal supposedly contravened Ohio law, and dire predictions of the fearful effects on the Club.

I suspected something was afoot when over a half hour was spent explaining the minutiae, complete with visuals, of Roberts on voting, including several references to expected motions wherein all this would apply.

On cue The Motion was call and once approved precluded any amendment to the original document. It was then explained, several times, that voting FOR the motion would then have the immediate effect of rendering the Club leaderless and without governing documents. The subsequent vote was predictable; indeed predicted.

The majority of members are in the dark about the workings of the Club and care little beyond their own Unit. Many feel that what "them up there" do is not their concern and it is not for them to criticize their "betters". "Them up there" do little to counter this view. This is perhaps a little over-stated to emphasize the issue of member apathy.

So we lose more members, the "elite" tighten their grip on the Club and a chance to modernize and rationalize the Club get flushed, but who cares?
Maybe the 25% who voted FOR the motion in spite of the doom sayers!!

Up with the traditionalists, down with the progressives (sometimes called the hostile elements) and on with business as usual in the spirit of positivity and the way things used to be. Pay no attention to the people behind the screen as the Club beavers on toward Thor MOHOs.
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I have been camping for the weekend and just read the up to date material. My question at this point is who was the SHILL that called the motion.

TAC has taken an unrealistic position of NO RULES. The WBCCI has taken a position of TOO MANY rules. My thought at this point would be for TAC or another newly formed group to consider adopting some or all of the Revised Constitution and creating a club that will meet the needs of a newly defined membership. A membership truly dedicated to Fun Camping with your Airstream unit.

As some may remember my biggest fear has long been that the IBT would run the WBCCI into the ground and we would lose Jackson Center as a foundation for a club. It is now clear to me that is what is going to happen so I now look forward to a new origination that stands a chance of surviving.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #124
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
TAC has taken an unrealistic position of NO RULES. The WBCCI has taken a position of TOO MANY rules. My thought at this point would be for TAC or another newly formed group to consider adopting some or all of the Revised Constitution and creating a club that will meet the needs of a newly defined membership. A membership truly dedicated to Fun Camping with your Airstream unit.
I completely agree with this viewpoint. What would appeal to me is a club that has organizational purpose and structure and mission, but firmly engaged in the modern world, and addressing the concerns and needs of people today.

There's nothing wrong with tradition until it becomes a roadblock to modernity. Those holding the controls of the current club are going to ride that horse until it expires. It is very clear that a "new version" of the club is what is needed. I have no objection to some rules, some traditions, some organization. I am fine with that. But it needs to serve member needs today, not 1960.
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Another time of mourning within the Club.

I would ask those at the International that have some tape join me. I doubt the IBT will take heed but some of those with their head in the sand might ask Y
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1277.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	162240  

Old 07-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I just finished listing to the rail road train that lead up to the vote on the Revised Constitution. From the questions asked and the manor in which they were answered the majority of the delegates had no idea in the world what they were voting on. The Chair represented the vote as a death notice to the existence of the Club as of the end of the vote and thus those delegates that had not idea what the Revised Constitution meant to the future of the Club voted against it.

This opportunity to continue the current outdated Constitution may in part have been inadvertently been aided by the fact that the revised Constitution did not provide for a period of transaction. The Chair took that omission as a means to talk the Delegates into defeating the Revision.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #127
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I would like to see another try at the new constitution with the addition of the delegates meeting and a transition period.
For this to happen we need a forward thinking IP to get behind it
Let's see if we have one.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 07-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #128
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
I would like to see another try at the new constitution with the addition of the delegates meeting and a transition period.
For this to happen we need a forward thinking IP to get behind it
Let's not lose sight of the fact that the purpose of the constitutional revision committee was to derail the lawsuit against WBCCI, as explained below:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286/wbcci-board-lawsuit-61787-57.html#post886578

After it had served that purpose it's not at all clear that the executive committee had any interest in the outcome.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #129
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Let's not lose sight of the fact that the purpose of the constitutional revision committee was to derail the lawsuit against WBCCI, as explained below:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286/wbcci-board-lawsuit-61787-57.html#post886578

After it had served that purpose it's not at all clear that the executive committee had any interest in the outcome.
EC would do that? I am shocked!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #130
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Never forget that we are entrusting the governance of our club to people who wear coats and ties in 100 degree weather.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 07-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #131
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
I read the revealing quote, and it was revealing, but what is "FMCA"?? I imagine I should know, but I don't know what the acronym stands for. Thanks.

Vivian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Of course, a club has to change with the times, and its organizing rules must be such that change is organically possible: Nothing is absolutely written in stone so that it cannot be changed. All of that obtains, I think, for the WBCCI. The question is whether change happens in the right direction or speed, or, indeed, too fast or in the wrong direction. To a certain degree, knowing just the right mix is like reading a crystal ball, a pessimistic conclusion that should nonetheless never prevent one from trying.

Indeed, the FMCA is undergoing similar pain. Good friends of ours, who are here for a month or so, are connected in with the leadership of that club and report very similar discussions about attracting younger members, losing current members, and so forth.

I think organizations like ours and similar ones will survive, though not necessarily always in ways that we might like. Some growing segments of our society appear to have a pretty negative attitude toward the whole RVing endeavor. Check this article, for instance:

Gen Y and automobiles

I might also offer a revealing post from RV.net this morning:

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Rallies, Shows and Gatherings: A New FMCA Maybe?

Lynn
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #132
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
It's the Family Motor Coach Association:

FMCA is for motor coach and motorhome owners. Motorcoach articles, motor home blogs, motor coach advice and motorhome videos.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
I read the revealing quote, and it was revealing, but what is "FMCA"?? I imagine I should know, but I don't know what the acronym stands for. Thanks.

Vivian
Old 07-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #133
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
FMCA is the Family Motor coach association.. it is a very large club of motor home owners.. You will see their black egg shaped symbol with a member number on lots of motor homes. I think the member numbers issued may be in the 400,000 area now
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 07-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #134
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
I read the revealing quote, and it was revealing, but what is "FMCA"?? I imagine I should know, but I don't know what the acronym stands for.
Family Motor Coach Association FMCA is for motor coach and motorhome owners. Motorcoach articles, motor home blogs, motor coach advice and motorhome videos.

It's for motor home owners.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #135
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I believe the FMCA has about 85,000 members left. Many of the WBCCI motorhome owners also have FMCA molded plaques on the back of their units. I have been taking pictures of them for a couple years.
Some of the FMCA joint members I have talked to say they enjoy FMCA Rallies more than WBCCI rallies because they are bigger, attract more vendors and can afford to hire better entertainment.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #136
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
I have been following this thread since it began. As a relatively new AS owner (2011 FC purchased in Aug 2010) I have been interested in joining WBCCI, but am confused and not sure what WBCCI has to offer. My wife and I have camped solo and attended various Rally's found here on the Forum. These Rally's have been Airstream exclusive rally's, and they have been a lot of fun. We have met some people who belong to WBCCI, but the majority of the people we have met do not.

I believe if WBCCI was started as an Airstream only organization it should remain so, similar to an earlier post that discussed a Mustang club. I would suggest that instead of focusing on existing members, solicit new owners, and those owners who are non members. But to do so, I would urge you to follow up with all responses and requests in a timely manner. Shortly after we purchased out trailer, I had requested information from either the WBCCI website, or the local unit (sorry I can not remember which). Nobody from either organization had contacted me for over six months. Unfortunately this did not give me a very good first impression of WBCCI or any units. I do not know how other non members were treated, but I felt why should I bother supporting an organization that couldn't even acknowledge my request for information for over six months.

I agree that by not offering a one year membership with the purchase of a new trailer, Airstream and WBCCI are missing an excellent opportunity in bringing new members into the fold. A lot has been written about the advancing age of a large portion of the current members. They have been supportive of WBCCI and remain valuable to the continuation of WBCCI, but in order to keep the organization alive, younger owners need to be recruited.

As I read this thread some common themes seem to be: too much politics, declining membership, too much reliance on "old school" ways, and should WBCCI open itself up to non Airstream owners. We went to Sedalia before the Rally officially started. We met some nice people, and wished we had signed up to attend the Rally.

We bought our trailer in part to celebrate a new phase of our lives. We wanted to travel and experience everything this country has to offer. We wanted an Airstream and all of the good and bad that goes along with owning one. I would urge the WBCCI leadership to take a time out and determine how to put fun back into your organization before it's to late. I am sure that you could poll the forum members to help develop ideas of what Airstream owners think of WBCCI and what they would like to experience by joining WBCCI.

Like others, our jobs dictate to a degree our camp and travel schedule. I would like to join WBCCI, but for now I think I will stand by and see how things pan out.
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:32 AM   #137
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew05 View Post
I would suggest that instead of focusing on existing members, solicit new owners, and those owners who are non members.
According to the WBCCI Bylaws, there are twenty-three Standing (permanent) Committees in the club. Twenty-three! Ouch! Can you say, "Bureaucracy"? One of these is the Membership Committee. Its purpose, as described in the bylaws, is:

Quote:
To develop and implement a membership program that:
a. Encourages present members to retain their membership
b. Encourages non-member owners of recreational vehicles manufactured by Airstream, Inc. to become members.
c. Includes providing a published manual/pamphlet in which a suggested program for membership retention and recruitment is set forth and to distribute copies thereof to all International, Region and Unit officers; and
d. Offers inspiration encouragement and assistance to the membership committees of the Units.
WBCCI is supposed to be focusing on attracting new members as per goal (b). However, I cannot say for a certainty just exactly what the Membership Committee is doing to satisfy either goal (a) or goal (b). Clearly not enough, judging from your experience. And, not being an officer or a member of a Unit membership committee, I'd have no way of knowing if they satisfy goal (c) or goal (d).
Old 07-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #138
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Drew,

We too were initially excited to join the WBCCI, then became reluctant after reading about all of the issues here on the Airforums. Fortunately a couple of members from our local unit here in GA strongly encouraged us to give it a try even if "just for a year". We ended up making a lot of friends in the GA unit and have had a great time camping with them both at WBCCI events and other events not associated with the WBCCI.

We also found a wealth of Airstream knowledge within our unit which aided us greatly when fixing items which had been neglected on our Airstream (it was a used unit)

I encourage you to give it a try. If you find you don't like it on the local unit level, then you can look for other groups which are not Airstream specific. One of what I perceive as a big benefit of the WBCCI are the caravans. We haven't had a chance yet to participate in one, but are very much looking forward to it.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #139
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
Never forget that we are entrusting the governance of our club to people who wear coats and ties in 100 degree weather.
Rick..........In one sentence, you wrote a very large book. It completely explains where the club is coming from, where it is, where the emphasis lies, and where WBCCI is headed.

'nuff said.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #140
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
Drew,
I'm with Aviator on joining WBCI. For all the faults of the club, it is a great way to get connected with a great group of people and Airstreaming. The club, I have found, is kind of like the trailers themselves. There are those that see and want to talk about the leaks and flaws in build quality, etc. Others accept that and find joy in ownership and being part of the storied, unique history of the Airstream and all that it represents. Neither the club or the Airstream is perfect, but pretty darn cool. I had a '65 GTO I restored. Tri-power, four speed, all the goodies. I would drive a 100 miles to hang out with other Pontiac and GTO guys to talk cars, come home smelling like gasoline with grease on my hands from having to tweak something along the road. Windshield wipers worked like crap, drum brakes don't stop for crap, steering wheel felt like 20 turns stop to stop. But when you punched it and heard the tri-power open up and the rear tires broke loose.....Some people get it and some don't. Do I have to explain it?

We are relatively new, having bought our Flying Cloud in 2009 and joining the club in 2010. We have not attended an International or particapated in a caravan as yet, but have attended a bunch of local rallies with our unit and have attended several out-of-state rallies. We have found there is a great, common thread that links you when you join and join in. In other words, if you bring some of the same qualities you are seeking in the club, you are bound to find them in others you meet. Not trying to get all warm and fuzzy here, but we joined to find a bunch of good hearted people with a similar interest in Airstreams, travel, and treating other people like you want to be treated. We have not been disappointed, have met a lot of truly nice, interesting people, traveled to different parts of this great country and have learned a lot in the process.

I'll stay in the club and bring what I can; if not leadership, at least avid participation. And some adult beverage to happy hour. God Bless America and Wally, too.

Rich