Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2006, 07:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
I'm Ready to drop Out and become a MAL (Member at Large!)

Well I think I've just about had it. Is anyone else finding that being an "active" member of their Unit that you spend more time on the politics and less time on what you thought you joined the club for? Like camping?

My pro's list- I have met so many people who I love seeing over and over again at Rally's and I would not change that for anything.

Con list-too much time spent on "running things" rally's, region, electing this and that, changing names, don't change. Flags, lights, berets, blue jackets, white jackets, red jackets. Fly this flag, fly that flag, it's your trailer do what you want! WHO CARES!

I have decided that if I become a Member at Large I can still be a member but I can stay completely away from the constant "business" of the club. It's too much like being at work. I already have a job I want a little more relaxation and fun.

I will pick a place to go, let people know where I'm going and see if they want to come. You bring your friends, I'll bring my friends. Generators, kids, dogs, bring it on! Lights, flamingo's, the more the merrier. Sweat pants, hot pants, as long as your comfortable I'm comfortable.

What do I have to lose? Can anyone tell me the down side of this?
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello rgesch ,

I could not agree more ,what you want to do is what most of us want to do,
camp ,have fun enjoy the other trailers and the folks.The rest of the dribble
is not appealing to my family in any possible way.

Scott and family
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
WHAT!!! You are one of the "good guys". I joined your Unit because of YOU, the future of WBCCI is with people like us (you and me kid) - I see areas of light, do not give up the fight!

BTW, if you do become a MAL I'll be hounding you to join the NEU - you would not want that because I'm relentless..

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:03 PM   #4
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Hmmmm ... I was a MAL for two years ... and just now joined the Washington Unit.

I joined because I get a better rate as a member when I stay at the Land Yacht Harbor ... and because I like the people here ... would rather give them my money instead of sending it to HQ.

As a member, I don't have to get involved with the political stuff. I'm free to ignore or join in on my terms. Just like when I was a MAL.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Greetings 65GT,
You and I have talked about this before. Since under no condition will I renew with the NM Unit, but I want to be a member of WBCCI just to remain a member of VAC, please tell me more about WDCU (Like where do I send my money?).

By the way, wouldn't it make more since if VAC had "unit" status in its own right?
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:16 PM   #6
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Have to agree with 65GT & Porky Pig.
Join WDCU (Washington DC Unit #170) and attend some of our rallies and you might change your opinion about Units and MAL status. Our motto should be something like: “We’re Just Camping.” Check out the website: http://www.servintfree.net/wbcci-dc/
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStanley
Our motto should be something like: “We’re Just Camping.” Check out the website: http://www.servintfree.net/wbcci-dc/
"It's just camping" has been the New England Unit's motto for at least 5 years........ Before I joined even!

Old 07-06-2006, 08:30 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
I couldn't agree with you more!!

My family and I recently left the unit we belonged to for many of the same reasons you cited, especially the politics, BS and exclusivity. Its only camping people...RELAX!!!!!
bigshinything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Need some explinations please

Would you folks please answer some WBCCI questions for me please.

1, Why do you have to pay to go on a Rally. I even see some that there is a Rally fee and campground fees.

2, Do members in a unit HAVE to be labor for events?

3, Is it possible for a unit member to announce a date, time and place and have a camping trip with no other ado?

Thank you.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping

1, Why do you have to pay to go on a Rally. I even see some that there is a Rally fee and campground fees.

3, Is it possible for a unit member to announce a date, time and place and have a camping trip with no other ado?

Thank you.
1.) In the NEU for some of our rallies there is a group breakfast or dinner and the rally fee covers that expense - a big value because the rally host and volunteers do all of the leg work in regards to purchasing supplies and preparing meals.

2.) No, labor is not required. BUT most of our members are happy to volunteer to do some of the chores during our rallies because they understand that everyone is a volunteer who is paying full price for their camping experience and should have some time off to have fun.

3.) We call these "Renegade Rallies" or "Forums Rallies". In fact I'm attending one this very weekend in Vermont.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Thank you, Follow up question. What is a NEU?

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Sorry!

Quote:
Thank you, Follow up question. What is a NEU?
NEU = WBCCI New England Unit - we are a wicked fun group of Airstream owners.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:27 PM   #13
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:

Thank you.
We pay through our treasurer the campground fee plus a prorated amount for the coffee and groceries. The fee is generally a discounted campground fee plus less than $10/person. The total is usually less than a non-discounted campground fee.

We have 3 couples assigned as co-hosts for every rally who plan the events and the meals. Each couple is a co-host once a year; not a terribly onerous chore. While I enjoy informal forum rallies, there is something to be said for some advane planning and organization when you expect well over 20 rigs to show up. For our last rally, we 3 co-host couples made a trip to the rally site a month early, gathered brochures, checked costs, and scheduled some events such as tours. This made it a lot easier for attendees to make good use of their time rather than everyone having to reinvent the wheel.

We do have informal rallies. We email the group when we go to a place we think others might enjoy. There is often 3 to 5 rigs show up.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:

Thank you.
Goin camping,

1. With our unit, El Camino Real, the rally fee pays for morning coffee, continental breakfast and some dinners which are provided by the unit. The campground fee pays for the site.

2. You do not HAVE to be labor but why let the rally leader do all of the work, it is better to help and share than take

3. As an individual, you can invite anyone to join you camping.

Bill Kerfoot

ps: the income covers the expenses for each rally, they are not money making ventures. I have never thought that the rally fee was excessive.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Im for the history also as I have posted before ,It is an important part of americana in this great country of ours.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
P.S. And we'd miss seeing Bubbles .....he was one of the highlights of the trip and Ben loves to tell people about how cool he was...
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Flags a flying

During one of my last WDCU rallies ( I believe it was CBR in April), there were even a pair of Jolly Roger Boxers a fliyng high on one flag pole. No ties, no Berets ( we wear the WBCCI Baseball caps if anything at all), no real meetings at the rally to speak of - just good old camping out in a hay field.

And next year, we're looking at a Caravan instead of a Rally from central VA to Maine or the Adirondacks!

We don't like going after other units members, but if you are serious about going MAA, then spend the $1 and join us!

Also, remember, getting that Insurance Bond from WBCCI if you are ever going to host a rally is worth that $1!

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
we wear the WBCCI Baseball caps if anything at all
Rob
Now your having fun!
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:29 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
My 2 cents.

I always have to express my opinion when this pops up. My family has debated hard on this issue to become or not to become. Our local unit is 3 hrs away and there get together can be as much as 8 hrs away. There are not any children in this group and I was told by a member the only time they bring there gran children is maybe once a year they like it quite.
I have thought about just joining this next year to be able to go to Perry for the International next year (but why) just to be told where to park, how to park, what to wear and what not to wear, what flag and how many. Here in the south it sounds to me like who gets to go to the back of the bus times.
And not to mention all the fees when you get there.
So we are just going to stick to our fun camping trips with flamingos, 4 flags, and 3 sets of party lights.
I will add though some of the units look a whole lot funner then others.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:54 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
I always have to express my opinion when this pops up. My family has debated hard on this issue to become or not to become. Our local unit is 3 hrs away and there get together can be as much as 8 hrs away. There are not any children in this group and I was told by a member the only time they bring there gran children is maybe once a year they like it quite.
I have thought about just joining this next year to be able to go to Perry for the International next year (but why) just to be told where to park, how to park, what to wear and what not to wear, what flag and how many. Here in the south it sounds to me like who gets to go to the back of the bus times.
And not to mention all the fees when you get there.
So we are just going to stick to our fun camping trips with flamingos, 4 flags, and 3 sets of party lights.
I will add though some of the units look a whole lot funner then others.
I to am thinking along the same lines. I am really thinking hard about Perry GA. as I would like to say been there done that but it may not be worth the trouble. I have always worked in a structured environment, military and law enforcement. I like my time off to be free of rules and policies. I am not sure I would do real good with all the little rules and regulations for what amounts to a big camp out.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote