Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2006, 01:35 PM   #61
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
This thread is supposed to be devoted to wailing, moaning, and discontent. Somehow we have let it drift back to feelgood discussions of beautiful campgrounds and enjoyable rally activities. Even rgesch, the thread's author, has been subverted into describing the "ageless" possibilities of a WBCCI rally. This thread has been hijacked. Where is the outrage?
Astute observation. that is exactly what we've done...diffused a bomb, and turned it into a bouquet.

focus on the good; not the frumpy old buzz-kills that give wally a bad name. Ignore them, and they'll go away.
You can't make Wally's club fun by quitting.
repeat after me:
we have fun when we're just camping....
we have fun when we're just camping....
we have fun when we're just camping...
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:53 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
MAL-Content

Okay, yes you are right, I guess I'm a very positive person so I find myself by nature pulling myself out of the muck even when I started it in the first place.

I still am considering starting my own MAL-Content Club where I just host gatherings, camp do what I want and anyone can come.

There is nothing in the BB that says I can't.

Actually instead of Renegade Rallies that don't fit the mold like the NEU does I think I will start hosting MAL-Content rallies. What do you guys think about that?
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
rgesch
A chance meeting with you in a snowy campground in March is the reason I have my red numbers (on plexiglass). If you leave , they win , and then who will guide me .

P.S. Yes ,this is a guilt trip
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:12 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
I know I know,

You guys are what gives me hope!!! I will hang in there as long as I have you...isn't that a Billy Holiday song?
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:33 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Memphis Malcontents???

We are a group of 2 streaming families in the Memphis area with new toys. We don't know if we are Mal's or not, just know we want to go camping, have campfires, drink adult beverages and laugh a lot. Sometimes we get a little loud and there is never a dull moment. We would love to have some other folks join us; Mal's, WBCCI's, VAC's or whatever. If you can stand us we know we can stand you! Anybody up for the challenge?

Greg
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:03 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Me too, me too.

I want to join in with rgesch on the WBCCI MALcontent Club guilt trips, er, get-togethers. We'll code name it just camping and no one will suspect that it's really, um, just camping. And we'll toast the camper who breaks the most rules and if anyone wants to bring along some whining and outrage that's okay too. We'll just use them to practice Yuki's handy hints on the exorcism of "crabs" and give out pointers and tips to get through the 5-step program.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:09 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
Okay, yes you are right, I guess I'm a very positive person so I find myself by nature pulling myself out of the muck even when I started it in the first place.

I still am considering starting my own MAL-Content Club where I just host gatherings, camp do what I want and anyone can come.

There is nothing in the BB that says I can't.

Actually instead of Renegade Rallies that don't fit the mold like the NEU does I think I will start hosting MAL-Content rallies. What do you guys think about that?
My wife calls me an incurable optimist. Four more than four years I would look forward to the next rally or unit activity, only to be subject of gossip or criticism for trying to break out of the stifling routine. One time it was because we left the rally location to spend the day hiking and sightseeing in the mountains surrounding Telluride, CO. ( Harumph! You didn't attend the business meeting) Another time we refused to wear our yellow vests. (Harumph! You aren't showing unit spirit) Another time We donated a case of Two Buck Chuck to the potluck dinner (Harumph! You have open wine bottles on the table).
That's why I will be a MAL-content (contented MAL?) next year.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:14 PM   #68
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
(Harumph! You have open wine bottles on the table).
We have rallies where that is the actual theme! (personally, I could do without the "themes"...but if yer gonna have one, this is as good as any! )

The only "Haurmph!" you'll get from us is if you forget to bring a cork screw!
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:16 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
My wife calls me an incurable optimist. Four more than four years I would look forward to the next rally or unit activity, only to be subject of gossip or criticism for trying to break out of the stifling routine. One time it was because we left the rally location to spend the day hiking and sightseeing in the mountains surrounding Telluride, CO. ( Harumph! You didn't attend the business meeting) Another time we refused to wear our yellow vests. (Harumph! You aren't showing unit spirit) Another time We donated a case of Two Buck Chuck to the potluck dinner (Harumph! You have open wine bottles on the table).
That's why I will be a MAL-content (contented MAL?) next year.
Ding, ding, ding!!!! I think we found a winner for the rule-breaker award!!
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:34 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
A MAL-Content Rally! Now that strikes a positive note But of course, MAL's don't limit, so, Ya'll come, now! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:32 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
I really like the MAL-content rally idea.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:39 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
So what's wrong with a unit full of rule breakers? Hey -- sign me up!
Why, there isn't anything wrong with a Unit full of rule breakers - I'll send you an application so you can join the New England Unit.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:06 PM   #73
_

. , .
hi regesch and thanks for starting this thread....

now that it is back on subject......

i'm a mal and like it.
i have no local unit that i'd want to join....
and joining a 'local' unit in some other geographic region just seems odd and silly,
also doing that,
supports the 'local unit' structure that the club promotes and is tied too....
just like all the other club crap that they are tied too.....it needs to change.
i am truely doubtful that any local unit can change the national scene.....

i really favor a 2 unit approach
1. the 3rd rock unit
2. every place else

as others have noted AND experienced mals have no voice, no vote, no nothing....except numbers. oh and we can attend wb rallys and stay at airstream parks....ok fine.
and yes we pay waaaaaaaaaay tooooooo much for mal status....

my treatment at the int rally by officers and committee chairs was horrible.
the nicest thing anyone said about my mal status was....
"oh we were like that for a year, till we found a unit"

a couple of big wigs actually suggested i leave and come back when i'd joined correctly....and many others said 'why are you in this meeting, you are not a real member yet'......

local units are the life blood of the old guard wb club....
there are some good reasons for this 2 be sure,
but mostly it is how the politics and policies function....
just like an old time democratic caucus or block group.

in a unit people have rank, and rank rules over the newbies.....big time.
in a unit peers can pressure newbies.....and do big time....

yes there are some fantastic local units....
but again it seems silly to join bill kerfoorts unit if ya live in fargo or miami....
or the denver unit if ya live in maine or seattle
or neu in ya live in utah or kansas....
and some local units actually require newbies to attend IN PERSON at least one meeting or event......please.

i met several people who no longer live anywhere near their 'local unit' but stay in it so they can advance as officers nationally.......
yes it is true! what crap to think......
when it's only campin folks.....

porky's reasoning makes the most sense to me.
i might join the washington state chapter to get a better discount at the lacy land harbor...if i stayed there much....and i could fly my pirate flag!

sure it's easy and cheap to join washdc unit....and if ya want to VOTE on stuff....that is a way to do it. on this leo and i agree

for me the spirit of member at large is......
'i'm on the move,
it IS a travel trailer right?
and i want to be at large in the airstream'....

there is annually talk (bitchn') about limiting mal to 1-2 years....and then requiring everyone to join a unit....

a virtual unit could also work for voting and rallys and so on......but it is not likely....

i like goin campin's idea....
lets ALL join the smallest unit anywhere....
then become officers,
then change the name and flag and so on......
A PIRATE UNIT! would be way wally cool!

i also think that a large group going to a real campground nearby big wb events, and just camping and enjoying themselves....is a powerful statement....

it says
"i'm an airstreamer, we can rally without your crap and our ranks are growing"
wb officers actually came up to check us out near the salem show......12 trailers made an impact, but 30-50 would blow them away.......even in georgia!

or just wait another year......there will be a new airstream club with FUN and camping as the prime directives.......watch 4 it!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:16 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
If we're members at large and like it that way, does that make us MALcontents?

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:17 PM   #75
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
I really like the MAL-content rally idea.
Sounds good to me. We could also go on the MAL-feasance Caravan.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:28 PM   #76
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
Sounds good to me. We could also go on the MAL-feasance Caravan.
oh i like this caravan.....
at least then when the officers behave badly.....
it's expected!

truth is if we sent the minimun number of names (10-12) and the charter stuff, we could tell them we're from north mal or west mal or old mal and it would likely not get notices.......as a new canadian unit.

the canadian wb folks were very friendly.....some planned to steal my turkey and plant it in a more prominent location......near the international president's moho.....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:44 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
It all just makes me smile. We must be MAL-contents! Totally content with MAL status At least we haven't found anything in this locale that has drawn us in, nor have we been warmly invited--but we like our big red WBCCI letters! Voting? Well, "Save Wally" came close to making us think we maybe should have a unit, but that seems safely put to rest now. Thanks all who worked on that. Maybe we could have a note on our signatures that cites our unit or MAL status, just so we would "know." ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Thumbs up Happy to be a member of the New England Unit....

It must be different here in the New England Unit then it is in some other Units. I do not think we'd have as much fun as we do if we were MAL, our Unit really rocks!

The New England Unit welcomed us with open arms when we showed up for our first rally in 2004 with our ratty looking 93 Excella (major clearcoat peeling issue at the time). It was the 2004 "Rock'n to Woodstock" Region 1 Rally held by the Charter Oaks of CT Unit. We pulled in late on a Thursday - no one from the parking committee was around so we just pulled to the side of one of the fairground's campsite roads, waiting for directions on where we should park and wondered if we had made a mistake coming to this rally as we did not know anyone and we did not feel that we would fit in. BUT, a member of the NEU, a well dressed and spoken fellow walked up to our truck (not washed, a big mud ball looking thing as we had just moved to NH and have a dirt, well mostly mud driveway) and asked us to join the New England Unit happy hour! We were thrilled! We met many folks that night and these folks did not know we were members of the NEU because we were not active in the club - they just wanted everyone to feel welcome at a WBCCI event and wanted us to be part of the fun! During this rally they insured we were included in all NEU events (happy hours, pot lucks, etc) and they showed us the ropes, they got us hooked!

I know that my Unit went through some pain as it transitioned from the traditional way of running things to our current state. Before Leon and I joined some brave souls changed the focus of our club - their goal being the very survival of the New England Unit. Their efforts are paying off - as the New England Unit Membership Chairperson I'm processing 3 to 5 new members every month (since I've been the Chairperson, don't know what the numbers were before me). We are growing and it's because of our focus on the desire of our members to be "just camping" together.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:35 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Oh, BTW we are active in the WMNH Unit too

In addition to the NEU we belong to the White Mountains NH Unit. LOVE the President of the club - even when she threatens to go MAL. I feel the change in this Unit, I want to be part of it.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:54 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
An MAL is a nonvoting financial contributor and this is a rather common membership class in nonprofit organizations. Rather sad to see the PTB (powers that be) sneering at a source of income for the club, I think. Almost as bad as sneering at another RVer.

As for the MAL-content idea, why not just start another unit? Get ten MAL-contents in your area to sign up, choose a name with a geographic reference, and form an official WBCCI Unit that does things the way you want to do them. There is no rule that says you can't have two official WBCCI Units in the same area nor are the rules for a Unit as restricting as many seem to think. There are too many people making up rules that don't exist it seems to me.

Of course, if you don't want to organize your own local Unit, you could always do it the old fashion way - take over the existing Unit with good politicin' and then change it to funtion the way you think it ought to.

The danger of the MAL-contents is that they might come to be seen only as irresponsible complainers and moaners who never do anything.

There is also the warning of becoming known for destructive behavior rather than constructive. Such behavior is tolerated by many for a while but it does create an itch and a scratch and, eventually, something will break. Just being against something is akin the parable about the Emperor's New Clothes.

And don't confuse the MAL-content idea with Gypsies. The SKP club caters to the Gypsy crowd. WBCCI, so far, has members with roots in the land. There is an important identity thing here about what brings people together and their common interests and causes.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote