Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2007, 05:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
IBT vs Member Fees

Got air? I have heard that the air conditioning cost for the International in Bozeman will be an additional $250 onto the rally fee. I thought paying $130.00 extra to have AC was a lot for a week but this amount seems really high. I have read it is because they need to build it at an university campus.

The question that occurred to me last night is if the planners of the the International rallies have motorhomes and if they are exempt from these high electric fees because they have generators. We already know from the free early parking that their fees are not as much as regular trailer members pay for the rallies for a shorter period. This almost seems like a way to refine out the chaf (trailers) and insure high motorhome participation. I also think if the fee setters had to pay themselves, as much as they levy, that costs would be much lower.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
How much bang do you get for your buck? Not as much as leadership? The different schedules of fees and requirements need to be well documented, and published in advance online in regard to admissions so members can plan accordingly. WBCCI should also address the membership to see if they prefer paying higher fees to support the many volunteers who cannot be held accountable as such and need to be subsidized by those fees for their free extended stay and appreciation perks or if it would be better to just hire out and pay less and require more efficiency. Strokes vs Cost/Efficiency

photography
Old 06-29-2007, 05:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Is anyone starting to feel like that old commercial for fast food chicken? Are we bucket heads? Pay too much and get too little? Are you fortunate enough to be enjoying savings on caravans or are you digging deeper for membership fees for your Blue Beret and index? If you are a non-member you can attend the International for less. There is something not kosher in all of this. Not bothered? Well then some people are made out of money, ours! And looking at every avenue to increase club revenue while members are quickly dropping out. I hope that there comes a better slate of officers at the top and business can start to center on it's all about the people for real.

photography
Old 06-29-2007, 06:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
$250 for electricity does seem a bit excessive. Bozeman isn't in my travel plans for next year, but if it was, I'd consider applying that amount toward the purchase of a good generator.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:59 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
$250 for electricity does seem a bit excessive. Bozeman isn't in my travel plans for next year, but if it was, I'd consider applying that amount toward the purchase of a good generator.
If Bozeman is like Internationals past, generators will only be allowed to operate from 10 am to noon. If that is the case, it in theory won't matter if the busses have generators, they won't legally be allowed to run them.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Hence, a whole other reason to stay off-site. Why should IBT or any WBCCI members be upset with any attendee to a International Rally who wants to be part of the fun, see their friends, make new ones, visit vendors and attend meetings but not have to pay through the nose for services provided in local camgrounds for pennies to the dollar? If what is being posted is true and we decide to head to Bozeman next year you can be sure we will be camped at our friends house down the road!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
My wife's cousin has a llama ranch right in Bozeman. I smell an OPPORTUNITY!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:34 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Let's keep this thread on-topic. We've lost a thread already to the bickering, let's not lose this one, too.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:54 AM   #9
_

. , .
agree completely dat's a lot of green for juice....

as has already been posted elsewhere bozeman should have moderate temps...

so a/c may not be a requirement...

then again this event always seems to attract heat .

the issue that's emerging is...

are folks really willing to tolerate
3 amps,
a trickle of water,
limited dumping,
parked like cattle,
in a feedlot,
with dust, dust, dust
or mud, mud, mud

for a gathering like this?
at this price structure?

it seems for most folks who do a caravan to/from or
old timers seeing friends yearly
or delegates and vice presidents on the uptrack,
and newbies...

these issues are tolerable
or take them back to the glory days.
before modern appliances were the norm.

but IF you've got limited vacation time,
some kids to entertain,
wanna use the microwave
or blender
or other modern a/s gadgets...

the appeal of the international is limited and declining.

the international is NOT a camping event,

it IS a legislative event, the annual political event for the club.

it ain't a rally folks.

i'd like to spend 4-6 weeks in big sky country next june/july

and perhaps 2 days near the international (for the a/s store, vendors and photos) to see friends.

with the other time spent really camping and rallying with friends in that great country.

mt adams/area 33 was a wonderful time this year
with limited hookups or full boondocking.
again because of the people and food and dogs.
we played with kites and airplanes and space ships
had music and a campfire and a foil hat contest
(keep in mind the lice and earthquakes and hostile locals mean avoid this event!)

it will be fun to see what/how many forum events devolop next year in the halo of international

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:53 AM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Since I work in a Convention Center I can relate to costs for services like electric and communications. A lot of folks bristle at the fact that I charge $285 for a phone line. What they don't know is that in my case I maintain services with the phone company, wiring infrastructure, instruments, and personnel. I have to have enough capacity to handle gigantic events that might bring in 40,000 people or might bring in 100. In our case lead times and high installation charges don't always allow me to add or delete telephone lines at our whim. So what happens is that those events have to bear the cost of carrying these services throughout the year when they are not being used.

I would guess that in some of the venues the International is held at, those costs being charged for electric run very close to the same pricing scheme we use here. Yeah its not cheap, but remember that site either went though additional costs to make them available, or that price includes the cost of maintaining that service which is there year round, but not sold or used daily.

Public facilities are not cheap to maintain. Most of them run deficits. If we would truly apportion costs to events we have here, most wouldn't even be here. We truly have to look at the community and the business it brings in as our justification to provide our services with marginal return. Probably the two most expensive items for an orgainzation using a public facility are power and communications. Next in line are services like AV, and food service. Building rent is usually negotiated and is priced based on the amount of business the event is bringing into the community. In our case filling up our hotels might get you our center for as little as $1.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
i'm here in perry at International. I am enjoying the 30amp service as i write. i can tell you it was worth every penny of whatever the fee was as it's hot as hell here. the 30 amp infrastructure that was put in here is extensive and had to cost the club a pretty penny.

so far it has not hickup'd once and every rig is running their ac 24/7.

i can't speak about the climes in bozeman but if i was going i wouldn't think twice about paying the fee.

as an aside - i am having a blast at this RALLY. the comeraderie is non-stop and the facility here, aside from the heat, is excellent. ac is cranking in every building.

heading back for another dip in the 1500 gal. pool we have set up ;-)
munimula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Want what Wally got?

Well, if you "really" want to live the "Wally style" of camping, I'd suggest you ask the IBT to allow you to park in the middle of a field were you can hand carry your water to the trailer, run your frig on gas and use either gas lighting or your 12volt until it dies and use a hand airpump to get water pressure. If you can live with this style of camping and plan on attending all events under a large tent, my guess would be you could cut the International rally dues by 90%. So, "Want what Wally got?"

I'm by no means saying the International Rally is the deal of the year, but services cost money. I bet if anyone has a better way of doing it that would cost less money, there are many that would love to hear the idea.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
Because we have an AS MH we also attend a lot of FMCA rallys. I don't want to throw stones, but they are a lot cheaper and offer more. 50 amp service with water is the norm and the entertainment is fantastic. No rules about flags either. Maybe I'm not old enough for the WBCCI.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The FMCA rallies are usually attended by more units so the fixed cost of setting up the event and providing entertainment is less per motorhome and participant because it is spread over a larger number motorhomes. Maybe WBCCI needs attract more members and participants.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:18 PM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
The FMCA rallies are usually attended by more units so the fixed cost of setting up the event and providing entertainment is less per motorhome and participant because it is spread over a larger number motorhomes. Maybe WBCCI needs attract more members and participants.
Hmmm....We know the WBCCI needs to increase membership. Why don't we start a thread of suggestions on how to increase participating membership? Anything within reason can be suggested (no naked dancers on the roof of the convention center, though, I already suggested that). After perhaps a month, we can copy the suggestions, and forward them to somebody at the club that can approve them. You never know, your hare-brained idea may save the club!
That way, we can also keep this thread clear for the original topic.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:12 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
1972 27' Overlander
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
What is FMCA?

What is an "Air" number vs. a "WBCCI" number?

Newbie Me
gypsymoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
(federation?) motor coach association = motorhome club all brands?

our membership # in order of individually registering on Air Forums here, I think it is in your user CP

WBCCI number is the number of your membership, short numbers are important people We have 5 numbers you put them on your AS as an identifier and its like the social security number of the Wally Byam Caravan Club International. If you travel with your club index of members you know who that was that just waved and was driving down the road, or in emergency when Sky Med has to be called on the CBs they know where to send the paramedics.

photography
Old 07-01-2007, 01:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
FMC is _________ Motor Coach Assoc (don't remember what the 'F' stands for)
Air nbr is your Airstream Knowledge Sharing Forum membership number.
WBCCI nbr is your Wally Byam Caravan Club, International (read Airstream club) number (the red ones on our trailers)
Join up to both!

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
CJ,
we have a four digit Wally number...only joined last year. They are recycling the numbers. I aint one digit more important than ya'll!!!

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW
FMC is _________ Motor Coach Assoc (don't remember what the 'F' stands for)
Air nbr is your Airstream Knowledge Sharing Forum membership number.
WBCCI nbr is your Wally Byam Caravan Club, International (read Airstream club) number (the red ones on our trailers)
Join up to both!
Family

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote