Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I hear y'll and I'll give it due thought. No dealer has turned me...all I heard was on many threads here , in fact.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I can't help but agree with the majority here that you might want to try a WBCCI Unit before you nix the idea. We didn't think we were right for the club when we got our AS, but we were invited to a rally by the 4CU ... we went ...had a great time ... we were welcomed with open arms.... and found a great mix of ages, people and interests.... and at the end of that rally we joined up. The rest is history. Now I am the membership chair, so I guess that says something! I have found that very few folks who give our unit a try walk away from it...there's just something about sharing with fellow fun Airstreamers, all with a shared enthusiasm and sense of community, no matter who we are... You need to decide for yourself. We'd love to have you check the 4CU out and experience it for yourself! The DenCO Unit is another great bunch of campers, many of whom are Affiliate members of the 4CU...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
The Denco Unit is really a lot of fun and the people are very friendly. You may want to contact them and ask for the last year's newsletters to get a feel for the activities.

We weren't sure we'd like it before we joined either. We changed our minds quickly.

Good luck and safe travels.

Ron
RonaldC303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I do appreciate it! Wow, this is the warmest conversation in my experience here, on the forum. DW is a teacher, so most all our travels are June - August for the next few years, but I'll ask what's going on at our destinations. Thanks!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I belong to both TAC AND WBCCI.. In both groups the age range is from about 40 to 80. The members are from all walks of life. Ther e is something unique about each group.
There is also a group of us that belong to both WBCCI and TAC and some don't belong to either, but we are ALL Airstreamers. dznf0g and Dwightd you might want to give us a try. Watch the Meat and Fire posting in Pecatonica.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Is the Meat and Fire a TAC function? 'Cause dwightd is already all about the WBCCI.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #27

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Hey TBRich...totally agree with you re: 4CU. Met some pretty awesome members at the Baker City Rally last summer. Headed thru Denver this summer on our Chic Roadtrip to Alumapalooza (two AS, four women from the OR Unit...all leaving our hubby's at home :0)
monah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
2005 25' International CCD
Corvallis , Oregon
We weren't planning on joining the club, but happened to sell some old wheels to someone in the Oregon Unit. We delivered them to the buyer at a rally they were having near our town and were introduced to people there. There was a wide range of ages and everyone was friendly and welcoming, so we took the plunge. Last year we went to four of the club's rallies and loved each one of them! Definitely give your local club a try. You will probably be pleasantly surprised.
68tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird View Post
I was told by a "person" (don't want to mention anyone's name/gender) who actually works for Airstream, not to join the club. This person said that I'm too young for the club and I wouldn't enjoy it. Well, maybe I should be flattered but, I'm not that young and this person has no clue what my interests are. I like to meet new people and travel. Can anyone please chime in with advise and experience with the club?
WOW! That's too bad! They obviously haven't ever been to a DenCO Unit event. We have a great group of folks some who are young and others young-at-heart, with trailers both old & new - we truly enjoy getting together either for tav els or just to stay in touch over the winter.

Kip beat me to the punch, but I'm glad he invited you to join us sometime...hopefully at our next lunch - I'll be there. I fall in the "middle" age-wise @ 52 and have been a member for 10 years now. We've made some of the best life-long friends through the WBCCI, I'd would have been so disappointed to not have these people in my life and look forward to traveling together for years to come!

Look forward to meeting you Anna ~

Shari
a fellow "glamper"
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:33 PM   #30

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
@Shari...always love hearing feedback from a fellow "glamper".
Safe travels!
Old 02-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #31

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
@68Tradewind....can't wait to see you again this year. So glad you joined!!
Old 02-21-2012, 12:35 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Travel Bird
I will tell ya up front, I'm ANTI-WBCCI. I absolutly dont like the way the national level does things. However the PEOPLE down in the trenches are WONDERFUL.I would not send the national a Dime. I would however look at the rally schedule and attend a buddy rally to see if you fit with the group in your area.
We have camped with a few members over the last few years and they are great. Im sure you could also find an AIRFORUMS rally in your area,its the same people,U will love it.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Thanks to everyone for your kind and informative comments. So, I get it now~I guess the Airstream employee was pretty much on the mark. Don't join the National chapter but, join the International Chapter and then find my local chapter (or two)? Does anyone have a link to an application for the Denver chapter? Cheers!!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #34
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
There is no national chapter. It is an International club that is made up of members who belong to local units such as the DenCo Unit or are Members at Large (MALs).

For more information about DenCo, goto:
WBCCI DenCO Unit - "The" Denver Airstream Club
DenCo is a great unit, give them a try and I think you will be happy.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #35
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Don't join the National chapter but, join the International Chapter and then find my local chapter (or two)?
No you join the intern and a local at the same time.

If you join the Int without naming a unit they will make you a member at large.

Meaning you will not have any base and it will cost more $

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Does anyone have a link to an application for the Denver chapter? Cheers!!!
Here's a link to the DenCO Unit Membership webpage...or call/email Rhonda Cooper the DenCO Membership Chair to get more information.

If you want to come check us out at a luncheon or rally before joining, you can. Check out the Upcoming Events to see what's in store for 2012 ~ we have lunches scheduled in March or April (& rallies starting up agian in the spring), just download the registration form from the latest Newsletter or call and let the Hosts know you'd like to attend.

Shari
WBCCI DenCO Unit Webmaster
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Gee, we bought our Airstream so we could join WBCCI and go on the caravans. We go to the luncheons, rallies, and sometimes stay at Airstream parks. Lots of good things in our area for membership. TCPC campground, VA Airstream park, Top of Georgia park. Many volunteer hosts if you want a place for a night or two. Unit rallies. I do not know your age and interests. But it would be easy to try a WBCCI membership. You can easily get out if it is not for your.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I totally concur with those here who are advising you to check out a local unit, and give it a try. We didn't know about the club until we bought our 2005, but joined on the advice of the salesman at the dealership. He was a member, and lived in an Airstream. It turned out to be one of the best moves we've ever made. We have met some great people from all over North America that we would not have if we weren't members. Some of them are now lifelong friends. I suppose there are some issues on the national level, but I've found it very easy to ignore them, and the people who tend to obsess on them. Just the local rallies, courtesy parking, and Airstream parks are worth the price of membership to us.

"So, I get it now~I guess the Airstream employee was pretty much on the mark."

I'm a bit perplexed at anyone at Airstream who would advise against any club, or organization, that promotes the use of Airstreams. A couple of years ago we talked a friend 'down from the ledge' of buying an SOB. They purchased an Airstream instead, and are very happy they did. At a gathering this weekend of friends from our unit, they told of a couple who they had just talked into getting a new AS instead of an SOB. I'm sure this happens frequently, so I have to question the logic, or motives, of an employee of Airstream recommending against any social organization that is based on the very product they sell. Seems counter productive to me.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
Wdcu

I hear you Greg. We bought our Airatreams (all 3) and didn't want to be part of a "cult" of Blue Beret wearing people....Look at us now! I am so glad that we "stumbled" across the WDCU unit at OBX!!!! We have made great friends that we hope to keep forever! OK, we do not own any berets, but we have a great time with our friends.

Sonia

Watch WDCU-ers have fun, visit www.wdcu.wbcci.net
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #40
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Anna,

You have many options. You are already a member of the Forum and there are many Forum rallies. You can meet people at them or through the Forum as we have.

You can join TAC and last I looked there were no dues and pretty much no rules. They also have rallies.

There has been much controversy over the WBBCI. One strain is that the leaders are out of touch, spend too much money on themselves, and the organization is undemocratic. The other is some units are a bunch of fuddy duddies who want the run the unit like a military organization with white shirts, ties and such—they are still living the 1950's. Not every unit is like that. The organization has been losing members for many years and most such traditional organizations have been too as the internet has changed things for clubs. We have been to 2 rallies sponsored by the Four Corners Unit (4CU) as guests. The people were nice and we had a good time. So long as the international leadership acts as it does, we will not join the WBCCI, but would join the 4CU in a moment if it split from the WBCCI. I doubt they will split, however. Units charge dues, often very small amounts, but most of the money goes to the international organization.

There is no shortage of rallies available to you. You can go to WBCCI unit "buddy rallies" where non-members are permitted to come and check it out. If you contact a unit they may let you come anyway. The 4CU has rallies all year because winter is not all that severe in parts of Arizona where the winter rallies often are, so when you get a trailer, you can contact them. Richard (azflycaster) can tell you what to expect if you contact him via a PM.

The Forum has links to rallies and clubs at the top of the page so you can see what is available through all of these possibilities. Besides TAC, the WBCCI and the Forum, there are some smaller groups that also have rallies and I think all of them would welcome you.

How is your search for a trailer going?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote