Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Isn't it more likely that that most of the 40 % of the members not using e mail really are?
I would bet a good number of them have it and just don't turn in their e mail address because they don't want it in the directory.
I am sure that the number without e mail is really much lower. Opt out is always an answer.

I get tons of e mail from Escapees, Good Sam, Passport america etc. Most is glanced at and deleted but I am glad to have the flow of information.
Information flow in the WBCCI is severely limited because the chain of command system breaks down along the way. It may be worse in some regions/units than others, but my experience is that it doesn't work here.

An example was the presidents letter That was sent out about the lawsuit a couple years ago. The International Prez asked it be distributed through the chain of command.

I got linked to that newsletter here, got it from several individuals, received it from the AS campground we belong to, but never saw it from either my unit or the region.

Info really needs to be distributed directly and let the members choose what to ignore
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 05-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Anyone posting here that would like to reduce cost and improve services can take the first step. I had my name removed from the mailing list of the BB several months ago. Just a phone call to JC and it now comes via e mail.

If several hundred members reading here took similar action it might become clear to the leadership that some changes can actually be cost effective.

This did not require permission or action from anyone other than Cindy and I

Post to this thread if you do the same.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Everything that is being requested as a service can be put in the site, it is just a question of how to do it and then implement it. That is what the ECC is doing and some of the suggestions here are really surprisingly brilliant.

Part of what we are doing is to have information at HQ (some of it anyway) linked realtime to the web site through the database the ladies will hopefully be using at HQ. Doing this can open a lot of doors for the site and for the club. For example, we could create a listing of Big Red Numbers which could be searched to see if they are available or not - that helps prospective members who want to put their ghosted numbers back on their trailer. It could create an online directory of members. Updates for who is president of what region could be done with the click of a button right there at HQ.

The new web site is already mobile ready in that you can browse it with your phone and actually read it (most of it).

All of these suggestions you are making become an action item list for what we need to do to make it good. So, thanks and keep them coming in!
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 05-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
HQ is really good at receiving checks and depositing them. With e-payments you are now asking them to cut a hundred+ checks and mail them to Units? On the Unit side the treasurers position is volunteer and busy enough with checks coming in and going out for monthly events.

I really think this is too much to ask from a volunteer club. getting someone to step up and volunteer for a do nothing director position is hard enough. treasurer is the most time consuming job in the unit.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Tim has done a wonderful job of constructing the new website and we hope the members will be able to see it shortly. The principal function of the website is to educate potential members as to all the benefits they could gain, if they join the club. A secondary function is to act as an information center for the members and an avenue of communication for the leadership to give information to the members. We are trying to get the EC to allow us to install additional capabilities in the website for the members' use.

The ECC's goal is to improve communications within the club through the use of electronics. The websites have been our immediate focus, but the enhanced use of e-mail lists and electronic broadcast marketing are on our priority list.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula View Post
HQ is really good at receiving checks and depositing them. With e-payments you are now asking them to cut a hundred+ checks and mail them to Units? On the Unit side the treasurers position is volunteer and busy enough with checks coming in and going out for monthly events.

I really think this is too much to ask from a volunteer club. getting someone to step up and volunteer for a do nothing director position is hard enough. treasurer is the most time consuming job in the unit.
I am not sure I am understanding the situation. If half of the club's dues is going to workers at WBCCI headquarters then the positions that would handle or could handle much of these circumstances are already on the payroll. Changing the duties may not be the nightmare or as prohibitive as feared. Other businesses have been flexible with changing needs. Also finding someone to do a job for a small recompense may be a better solution than to task those already on the payroll or asking volunteers to do the task. Paying a third party may actually be less expensive than rewarding volunteers.

photography
Old 05-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
knowing the customer....

It likely will not take HQ to cut checks in that amount, except perhaps during renewal season. But you have to know that we have been discussing this with HQ for about a year now. And really, it will be up to HQ staff, the EC and the ECC to determine what will be an appropriate amount of work to do with any new system. Those discussions will start tomorrow and continue through Friday.

Granted, we do not know fully what the amount of work will be with a new system. That is because, we have not fully mapped what we will be able to do for the staff with a new database. For example, the new database system will be able to pump out things like membership cards, welcome letters and envelopes and other collateral with a click of a button. that will be a time savings for them.

The bottom line is that we are working not only for the membership, but the office staff. And it will be the office staff who will tell us if our tools will help them or hamper them. They will let us know if online membership will create more problems for them or actually help them.

Now, in all fairness, I have to say that we are looking at 2 basic options for online memberships/renewals. Bottoms up, which would have payments go to the units and the units would have to send international the appropriate dues. And a top down approch which has all dues going to HQ, and HQ would send unit dues to the units periodically, perhaps once a quarter to make things easy. We have been even looking at a methodology that would automatically split the dues to HQ and the units when they come in, but that has technological challenges to implement.

Bottom line is that we are working for not only the units but HQ to find the best balance to serve all the needs of the club. We really are looking at all of the issues and trying to come up with the best options for the club in whole. We know who our customer(s) are - the club and the staff. We are working hard to serve them all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula View Post

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 05-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
St Cloud , Minnesota
Electronic Meetings

I would like the to be able to attend meetings electronically. There are numerous ways to accomplish the task. Video conference, webex.......

I am currently slotted to take the Region 7 2nd VP position. I am still in the working world with a limited amount of time availability. If I am able to attend required meetings electronically it could reduce my time considerably. I attend these type of meetings on a weekly basis. I don't have the expense of travel and motels for 3 days to attend a 3 hour meeting. That just saved me $1,500 in expenses and lost time and we all know that time is money. The IBT should be using one of these methods to conduct its meetings instead of reguiring individuals to travel. It could reduce costs. It would also give them the opportunity have more people at more meetins. This would make them more responsive. I think the biggest bonus would be the depth of new talent that would consider a Region postition if it were not so time costly.

By the way this one of the things I am going to work for during my tenure.

Pete Yanke
WBCCI #7528
MN Unit
Old 05-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyanke View Post
I am currently slotted to take the Region 7 2nd VP position. I am still in the working world with a limited amount of time availability.
Way to step up big Pete! Region 2 (where I reside) has had a 2nd VP vacancy for almost a year now. I have hesitated in stepping up to that plate because of the travel commitment - mainly to the mid-winter meeting. Your idea of using net meeting or similar service is a good one. You just need capable people at the meeting end and a good internet connection to make that happen.

The mid-Winters have been streamed the last few years. That would need to be turned into a two-way connection.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #30
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyanke View Post
I would like the to be able to attend meetings electronically. There are numerous ways to accomplish the task. Video conference, webex.......

I am currently slotted to take the Region 7 2nd VP position. I am still in the working world with a limited amount of time availability. If I am able to attend required meetings electronically it could reduce my time considerably. I attend these type of meetings on a weekly basis. I don't have the expense of travel and motels for 3 days to attend a 3 hour meeting. That just saved me $1,500 in expenses and lost time and we all know that time is money. The IBT should be using one of these methods to conduct its meetings instead of reguiring individuals to travel. It could reduce costs. It would also give them the opportunity have more people at more meetins. This would make them more responsive. I think the biggest bonus would be the depth of new talent that would consider a Region postition if it were not so time costly.

By the way this one of the things I am going to work for during my tenure.

Pete Yanke
Good idea at ALL levels of WBCCI organization. A net meeting might enable a Unit or Region to assemble a quorum when they otherwise might not, when an important vote is coming up. Especially in the case of, say, a member who is in New York when a vote comes up back at his Unit in New Orleans. Or whatever. As with e-mail or even face-to-face meetings, not everyone will be able/willing to do it, but the whole concept of a quorum is that you only need enough, not everybody.

And, for the nay-sayers who might balk at the idea of a club devoted to travel holding meetings where you don't need to travel, remember that for a net meeting all you need is some software and internet connectivity. You could call in to the meeting from YOUR favorite campground, rather than traveling to someone else's favorite campground.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Our Resident Owned Community Mobile home park has run their board meeting (without the video) for years that way. You really do not need the video to hear the arguments and take the vote.

There is an easy way to make video happen right now without any special software. It is called a Google Hang-Out. All you need is two laptops with a camera built in next to the screen. Even my cheap $325 Acer Laptop has one.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Electronic meetings on the IBT level could lead to a change allowing for more meetings per year instead of the the current 2.

This might actually allow something to get done instead of the current snails pace that makes the U.S, Government look efficient
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 05-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #33

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
This might actually allow something to get done instead of the current snails pace that makes the U.S, Government look efficient
HEY! I work for the US Government. NOTHING makes the Government look efficient!
Old 05-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #34
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
I am biting my tongue. Both for gov and IBT?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #35

2012 Interstate Coach
No. I don't work for IBT, only the Government. Six months ago, I'd never even heard of the IBT.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #36
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist
No. I don't work for IBT, only the Government. Six months ago, I'd never even heard of the IBT.
Whew, I was worried about you for a sec!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
A broad interpretion of the Current WBCCI Constitution by the parliamentarian could allow electronic participation now. The Revised Constitution is specific in allowing electronic meetings.

The ECC had their Website review meeting with the EC in Jackson Center last Friday. Some changes were requested. We will see how long it takes to make the changes and get the new website to go live.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I hope the new website includes the future international rally locations. My wife and I like to know that sort of thing well in advance for planning vacation time and all that.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Old 05-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
FYI - 2012 Sedalia MO, 2013 Huron SD, 2014 Gillette WY
Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi