Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2019, 12:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
How has WBCCI changed?

We were members of WBCCI 10 to 12 years ago and are considering the possibility of rejoining. Our unit members were friendly, overall but we did have a few concerns about the International Organization itself.

One of the biggest issues was the militaristic-style rules of the larger organization.

Uniforms at the larger Rallys, over the top rules and the general feeling that it was extremely regimented really took away from the relaxation and fun. We are not anti-military AT ALL as a number of our family members have served but for a camping organization it was an unusual choice, bordering on inappropriate.

We were bothered by the large amount of money thrown at those who served in higher positions for travel expenses.

We felt under-represented as the higher positions were more placed from positions of power to higher positions of power rather than truly voted into position by the general membership.

On the local level members were required to wear large name tags at all rallies at all times. It was strange because after a rally or two, we knew everyone.

When I was a teenager my family were members of NCHA (National Campers and Hikers Association) and I never got that WBCCI feeling of an over-bearing dark cloud hanging over the events (both local and a number of times at the national convention). It was actually pretty great, to be honest. I have fantastic memories!

We've also had great times at Airforums Rallies and will continue to do so.

My question is, has enough changed within WBCCI to make it a good fit for the rest of us or is it still a club fitted best to those who have retired from the armed forces?

(Again, serving is not a bad thing as my husband, father, grandfather, and father-in-law all proudly served. It is just not what we are looking for in a camping club organization.)
Old 01-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 19' Globetrotter
Elgin , Texas
Yes WBCCI (now WBAC) has evolved and continues to evolve over the 24 years we have been a member. As younger owners join the club, all aspects of WBAC (national, regional, and local organizations) has changed from the regimented format you may have experienced.
It is our observation that the parent club is less formal and very much open to member suggestions and participation. Our home unit has always been informal and that has gone a long way to make old & new members feel included and happy with our events.
If anything, the leadership at the Region level and National level are actively engaging member input to keep WBAC healthy and growing strong.
If you are not aware, Airstream is building ~82 units a week. Those units are being purchased with many of the owners joining WBAC straight away (mostly on-line membership). Their expectations of an Airstream life-style are being heard loud and clear.
Each summer at the International Rally (this year in Doswell VA July 20-27) there will be a seminars and forums addressing all aspects of the club organization. Active participation in the club organization makes change happen.

I welcome you to re-join and become a positive force in the future of Airstreaming and the future of WBAC.

All the Best.
Ol Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:45 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Thanks for the thoughtful reply Ol Bob. It sounds like things are changing for the better. We might just check out the local unit.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
We've been members for 9 years or so. It has changed significantly in that time. The leadership from the top on down is much more approachable and interested in what the membership wants as opposed to "how things have always been done" if you know what I mean.

I encourage you to give it another try.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
It’s changing but I’m still waiting for more working people and fewer rules than currently. I was called out for not wearing my badge but I just chuckled; couldn’t find it now if my life depended on it.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:36 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 19' Globetrotter
Elgin , Texas
Check out Moving WBCCI Forward on Facebook to see a "member driven" initiative that is exactly what you are suggesting.
This is a grass roots effort created by like-minded WBCCI members to bring about improvements that move our Club forward.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
The WBCCI/WBAC isn't anything like it was 10 years ago. The people in charge 10 years ago are no longer involved, new leadership has been working to modernize the club and make it relevant to the current Airstream owners. All the infighting and silly politics are long gone. Membership has been growing steady, right along with Airstream sales.

I can't speak for your local unit, but I think if you check out the club today you will see a huge difference.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1977 31' Sovereign
Narvon , Pennsylvania
.Org.

I too am concerned about the regimental nature. I had a Harley and they have a group that u could join also. It was highly regimented and thus took the FREEDOM out of riding.
I don’t want that scenario again.
Let Freedom reign!!
Just saying 😁
kenwadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:43 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Duluth , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwadude View Post
I too am concerned about the regimental nature. I had a Harley and they have a group that u could join also. It was highly regimented and thus took the FREEDOM out of riding.

I don’t want that scenario again.

Let Freedom reign!!

Just saying [emoji16]

Had a lovely meeting with Mona, the President Elect of WBCCI, and she is very laid back. She is no where near as formal for meetings. She wants campers to enjoy their Airstream experience.
Streamer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Bob View Post
to see a "member driven" initiative that is exactly what you are suggesting.
We were so turned off by WBCCI's rigid practices, religious bent, and organizational squabbling that we have never returned.

We continue working full time. For our two local units, all meetings and luncheons were during the work week. Rallies started on Thursday. Overall the unit was for retirees.

I just checked, and 10 years later, it is exactly the same. This year's regional rally is Monday through Saturday.

I see this statement added to the corporate code of ethics, perhaps by Moving WBCCI Forward movement:
"To be ever mindful of what we say or print with respect to its effect on other of our diverse membership so as to avoid disharmony and ill feelings among club members of differing ethnicities, religious beliefs or orientation and to dedicate ourselves to the work of cementing together the members of WBCCI in bonds of good fellowship and mutual understanding." (6/22/18)

In 2002 the ByLaws adopted the policy requirement for opening a meeting:
"Invocation (Nonsectarian)"

Yet for the 4 meetings we attended in two different units, well past the 2002 adoption, the invocations were strictly sectarian.

The blue beret symbolizes the continuing "old think".

So my question is: What has really changed?

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Bob View Post
Yes WBCCI (now WBAC)
I welcome you to re-join and become a positive force in the future of Airstreaming and the future of WBAC.
Wally Byam Airstream Club (WBAC)? The official web site and corporate documents still say "WBCCI Inc.". Is WBCA a formal corporate name change that happened since June 2018?

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
Old 01-07-2019, 11:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
WBAC??

My membership dues were just paid to WBCCI and I don't recall anything about WBAC. What have we missed.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 19' Globetrotter
Elgin , Texas
WALLY BYAM AIRSTREAM CLUB MAY 9, 2017
What’s the latest scoop on the world’s largest Airstream club? Updating member outreach and improved technology has been an important focus this year for the club, including a more active internet presence. “Recently we implemented an online event calendar which lists every club rally and caravan,” “Finding a club event has never been easier.”

“We added several new social media sites for member and prospective members to find out more about the club and the things that we do.”

You may notice a slight but important change to the club logo—the club is now going by the name Wally Byam Airstream Club (updated from “Caravan Club International”) which reflects more clearly the brand the club is in reality. WBCCI doesn't do that well enough.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
From the International Board of Trustees meeting in Lewisburg, WV in 2016.

I move that bylaw Article XIII Section 1 the words "Wally Byam Caravan Club International" be replaces with "Wally Byam Airstream Club"

The club logo was also changed in 2016 to match the new name. You
might also notice that many Units within the club are changing their names to include 'Airstream'. The name didn't change the business name, so while confusing the club is both WBCCI and WBAC.

Damon
Old 01-07-2019, 11:27 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
We were so turned off by WBCCI's rigid practices, religious bent, and organizational squabbling that we have never returned.

We continue working full time. For our two local units, all meetings and luncheons were during the work week. Rallies started on Thursday. Overall the unit was for retirees.

I just checked, and 10 years later, it is exactly the same. This year's regional rally is Monday through Saturday.

I see this statement added to the corporate code of ethics, perhaps by Moving WBCCI Forward movement:
"To be ever mindful of what we say or print with respect to its effect on other of our diverse membership so as to avoid disharmony and ill feelings among club members of differing ethnicities, religious beliefs or orientation and to dedicate ourselves to the work of cementing together the members of WBCCI in bonds of good fellowship and mutual understanding." (6/22/18)

In 2002 the ByLaws adopted the policy requirement for opening a meeting:
"Invocation (Nonsectarian)"

Yet for the 4 meetings we attended in two different units, well past the 2002 adoption, the invocations were strictly sectarian.

The blue beret symbolizes the continuing "old think".

So my question is: What has really changed?

As president of Region 10 of WBCCI (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, BC and Albert-Sask) I do think things are definitely changing. For example, when I was inducted as president of the Oregon unit, I made a rainbow beret to replace the traditional blue one so all would fee included during my tenure and no one even got made at me (at least not out loud). It has not been an easy process because there are years of "we've always done it this way" mentality. People value traditions so making new traditions and letting go of some old ones has been a challenge for some. The statement you quote above that was adopted last summer, believe it or not, was a big step. The invocation issue is one that bothers me quite a bit but the guidelines for the invocation are to keep it not dedicated to any specific religion. Nonetheless, I personally would be more comfortable with no invocation at all.

The incoming International presidents for the next three years are all innovative, courageous, spirited leaders who will gradually but steadily move away from the militaristic and religious bent that the organization has held previously. It's a whole new day at the Wally Byam Airstream Club (right down to the name - WBAC). But the individual units vary great from state to state. For example, in my home unit, Oregon, I don't think we had any rallies happening during the week. Some rallies start on Thursday but people can arrive either on Thursday or Friday. There are no prayers or invocations. There definitely ARE happy hours. It's completely informal. But I know other units, even within our region, that take a very different approach. It's good there are options for people looking for different things. The problem might be that the only unit close to you could be functioning in a way not appealing to you. So you could join and try to change from within?

We are working to make Region rallies include weekends - of course that's needed!

The International meetings that happen are definitely worth attending - so much information on Airstreams and camping and caravans. I was amazed at how many opportunities there are for learning!

So for those of you looking for a much more informal, casual, less structured club - we're working on it! The club is definitely in transition as we attract more younger people, people who are working full time, people with young families and people who are just looking to make friends camping in a fun and relaxed environment. In spite of some things we aren't all wild about, we've met dear dear people all around this part of the US and our closest friends in our Oregon unit. The club has worth and value for me and my husband Hal. I think it does for many people.

Terri Warren
twestover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:28 AM   #16
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
As a new member, I decided to stick my toe in the water by attending a group rally far from home but close to my current traveling location.
Could not have been more pleased. Everyone (about 25 people) were over the top friendly and welcoming to this stranger in their midst. Lots of fun, great conversation, and learned much.
A plea for the name tag. In my mature years, my mind is slipping away, specifically short term memory. You might make a great impression on me, and you might be friends with everyone around, but I will forget your name. Please wear your name tag at the rallies. I greatly appreciate it.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Mrs_RedSHED I see your in Columbus, IN. Please check out the Central Indiana Airstream Club, we would love to have you join us. First camp out is first weekend in May at Brown County State Park. And join us for our monthly luncheons during the winter months. Feel free to give me call if you have any questions.

https://centralind.wbcci.net for more information.

Damon Beals

Old 01-07-2019, 12:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I am not a member but it seems to me that the dues structure is all wrong. I don't mind paying the approx. $100.00 a year but it should be $80.00 to the local unit and $20.00 to the national.

Unless you are a caravan fan the national is of no use.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks Damon for that voting reminder. WBCCI is still what comes up on the websites.

WBAC stands for the World Ballet Art Competition so I'm not sure how that's going to go over.

We belong to the 4 Corners Unit and it's casual, fun and inviting.

If a complaint is going to be a based on a membership you had 12 years ago there is a high likelihood that information is no longer going to be current or relevant. If the only complaint is going to be about wearing name tags, come on, if you have several hundred people in attendance wouldn't wearing name tags be a good idea.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by twestover View Post
...when I was inducted as president of the Oregon unit, I made a rainbow beret to replace the traditional blue one so all would fee included during my tenure and no one even got made at me (at least not out loud). It has not been an easy process because there are years of "we've always done it this way" mentality. People value traditions so making new traditions and letting go of some old ones has been a challenge for some.
I like your innovative leadership, Terry. The "we've always done it this way mentality" is organizational poison.

Quote:
The statement you quote above that was adopted last summer, believe it or not, was a big step. The invocation issue is one that bothers me quite a bit but the guidelines for the invocation are to keep it not dedicated to any specific religion. Nonetheless, I personally would be more comfortable with no invocation at all.
Sounds like it's time to check again. Will ask if the local units still hold the invocation and pledge. If so, we will stay away as that indicates the pace of local change.

Quote:
The incoming International presidents for the next three years are all innovative, courageous, spirited leaders who will gradually but steadily move away from the militaristic and religious bent that the organization has held previously. It's a whole new day at the Wally Byam Airstream Club (right down to the name - WBAC).
To interest us in a local unit, the blue beret and uniform days must be LONG gone.

Quote:
So for those of you looking for a much more informal, casual, less structured club - we're working on it! The club has worth and value for me and my husband Hal. I think it does for many people.
Glad it is working for y'all.

We never want to base our impressions only on the past. Yet, we still have no good options, given the retiree-oriented schedule locally. Hope others have better options, and maybe we can find one too.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3