Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2010, 04:48 AM   #1
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Hello WBCCI

Hello, WBCCI, again. We have renewed our membership again, for the 15th year!

We are members of the NEU. We have a great rally and caravan schedule for the coming year and are anxious to get started! The members are terrific and we have a great time. I wouldn't leave our WBCCI friends.

Yes, I am very optimistic and positive about the club. That doesn't mean I haven't disagreed with or had challenges to overcome. I will pay my unit and international dues, participate and contribute to the effort to make the club what we need as members. I hope you all will too.

There's alot of change happening in the structure of the club, modifications to what has "always been". We all have ideas about what should be done, but we are each individuals and the club is made up of alot of individuals, so getting a concensus for one idea and one way to change things takes alot of work. It does take time for change to happen. Alot has changed in the past two years and there's more to come. In the mean time... I am going camping.

New England Unit....in Fun, Fellowship and Adventure.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Well Pam, the history of the Wbcci club is what made me join. The oldest most traveled club in the world.I have also joined the Escapees club and a new club called TAC .Now my camping options are many with more benefits and discounts.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:29 AM   #3
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Good

John, that's great. That's why we joined too. We have learned alot about our Airstream product, camping and caravanning. We have met people from all over the country that are members of WBCCI. It's been alot of fun.

See you down the road.

PS. We are members of other clubs as well, but this is our club of choice.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
Hello, WBCCI, again. We have renewed our membership again, for the 15th year!

We are members of the NEU. We have a great rally and caravan schedule for the coming year and are anxious to get started! The members are terrific and we have a great time. I wouldn't leave our WBCCI friends.

Yes, I am very optimistic and positive about the club. That doesn't mean I haven't disagreed with or had challenges to overcome. I will pay my unit and international dues, participate and contribute to the effort to make the club what we need as members. I hope you all will too.

There's alot of change happening in the structure of the club, modifications to what has "always been". We all have ideas about what should be done, but we are each individuals and the club is made up of alot of individuals, so getting a concensus for one idea and one way to change things takes alot of work. It does take time for change to happen. Alot has changed in the past two years and there's more to come. In the mean time... I am going camping.
"Time tests everything" "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
We renew every year too. To date we have gotten our moneys worth.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Here, here, Pam!

Maggie
Old 02-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
We have also renewed our membership in the WBCCI and will continue to work to make this club better for all members. Also joined other clubs and will be active in all. We love Airstreaming.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
There's alot of change happening in the structure of the club, modifications to what has "always been".
I have been thinking about this all morning and not doing too well with this statement.
What am I missing??
In the last 2 years, positive
some improvement in voting procedure
A couple hours of Sunday parking at the international
Online Blue Beret (that one is questionable if they stay with the site announced a few days ago)

Negative
$103k international rally loss
a $60k or more budget shortfall
Loss of 3 amp parking at the next 2 internationals
A record number of grievances being filed
A new WBCCI forum with censorship, advertising and on a site where it never should have been placed.

I do not intend to quit the club, however I am more discouragd now than I have ever been since I first joined in 1972
Hopefully there are more positives but I sure can't come up with them right now
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Better times are ahead for Airstreamers. WBCCI central command is not guaranteed a seat at the table. Actions unbecoming etc. This dogma that airstreaming requires WBCCI is a long standing myth. More "new" members are available here than anywhere else. Unfortunately they had nothing else to join but WBCCI or go to the few forum rallies. Let's see what happens. I predict this will be a very interesting summer.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Oh, I think a strong positive, working its way upwards, is Forrest's amendment.

Lynn
Old 02-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
I have been thinking about this all morning and not doing too well with this statement.
What am I missing??
In the last 2 years, positive
some improvement in voting procedure
A couple hours of Sunday parking at the international
Online Blue Beret (that one is questionable if they stay with the site announced a few days ago)

Negative
$103k international rally loss
a $60k or more budget shortfall
Loss of 3 amp parking at the next 2 internationals
A record number of grievances being filed
A new WBCCI forum with censorship, advertising and on a site where it never should have been placed.

I do not intend to quit the club, however I am more discouragd now than I have ever been since I first joined in 1972
Hopefully there are more positives but I sure can't come up with them right now
Rick, sorry you are discouraged. I am seeing a lot of effort and work being done by the 2020 Committee. These are the changes I am thinking about that are in process since the creation of that committee;
1. Focus on the Units as primary importance
2. Reassessment of venues and format for International Rallies. This year there are plans at Gillette that are more about "just camping" with 'block parties' etc. Investigations of different types of rally sites. Water, electric, do we need these?
3. Reassessment of Region and Executive positions, what's needed, what is excess.
4. Reassessment of expenses and overhead. Investigation of sources of income to offset expenses.
5. Reduction of reimbursables for officers.
6. Communications; options for a club magazine, format, costs, getting up to speed with the internet; email, website, magazine.

The March issue of the Blue Beret had some good articles and a change of thinking.

BTW, why do we need any electricity at International? I don't understand. We dry camp all the time. We have batteries and water on board.

The Blue Beret on line, I think is a good development for those who are traveling and not getting mail, they can just log on. This could also save on wasting paper and money to print, be easier on the environment.

Advertisers in the Blue Beret and on the Website do help cover costs of those items. That seems like a good thing to me. I notice how much advertising is here on the Airforum too and that's fine with me.

I hope you will see the good of the club too.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I agree the 2020 committee has a lot of good ideas. I also see 3 years or more of hard work on their part with nothing actually approved except a mission statement.

i have talked to both Tom Collier and Norm Beu about some form of alternate parking at International. I actually suggested boondock parking . With a near by water faucet and and a dump station on the grounds we would be fine.
Tom suggested at FL State that he was working on something like that, but he told me the same thing in september, I waited till the first of the year and then signed up for the birthday bash.
This will be the first international we will miss since 1996.. It looks like DuQouin is out also. I plan on contacting the officers in charge of 2012 and 13 so that something can be considered.

Regarding the BB website, it is only of value if it can be downloaded and archived. Only being able to read it online doesn't do it. The .PDF on WBCCI.ORG is good but the new site is not.
Hopefully that will be corrected
Currently boondocking near Nokomis , Fl
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #13
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Good points

Rick, good points. I do see that the 2020 is having an impact. We will continue to work for the membership. I actually like the PDF version of the Blue Beret as well. I have trouble with the turning of the pages in the other...too much movement for me.

BTW, love the Nokomis area. We were down that way 2 years ago when my son was living in Ft. Myers area.

We had snow and then rain today, so I am wishing I were in the sun.

Enjoy.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
We have been members since 06. Our balance sheet:

Positives
- 1 National Rally at Yellowstone
Many new friends
Fantastic time
- 3 International Rallies (so far)
Many more new friends
Many more Fantastic Times
- 3 Seasons with my Unit
An extended Family
New experiences every rally
New skills learned (like making popcorn, ice cream, and breakfast meat for 100+)

Negatives ?
Sure - you've stated them. They aren't with my unit or with my International Rally experiences.
My biggest negative is with the MEETINGS at the International and the club's inability to come to terms with spending.

The negatives NEVER affect my Rally experience.

Matt
GA Unit
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
love this thread

matt hits the rivet on the head...for my WBCCI experience it's all about the Unit. Like Matt, my home Unit and the two others I am an affiliate of have people who I call really close friends. I could never think of walking from that camaraderie. Principals? When it comes to camping and good times, what is more principled than friendship?

Curious to see how long this thread can stay positive.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We would personally like to strongly encourage all the nay-sayers, pessimists, anti-WBCCI'ers, etc., etc., to take their repetitive criticisms and vitriol to the numerous threads for this purpose which are already in place.

We know how you feel/what the issues are, and we share some of those feelings, but everyone isn't leaving the WBCCI nor wants to see it disappear. Enough is enough. Leave one thread alone for positive posts and encouragement, for those who are interested and want to read it. If you can't stand it, there is an Ignore function.

Doug & Maggie
Old 02-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #17
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I'm 100% in favor of the 2020 committee's recommendations and plans for implementation. I am very excited about the coming rejunevation as we close out the rest of this camping year 2019.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:51 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We would personally like to strongly encourage all the , etc., etc., to take their repetitive criticisms and vitriol to the numerous threads for this purpose which are already in place.

We know how you feel/what the issues are, and we share some of those feelings, but everyone isn't leaving the WBCCI nor wants to see it disappear. Enough is enough. Leave one thread alone for positive posts and encouragement, for those who are interested and want to read it. If you can't stand it, there is an Ignore function.

Doug & Maggie
KO on that! Although to be fair all critical people haven't given up or hate the WBCCI. Not sure how many fall into the category of "nay-sayers, pessimists, anti-WBCCI'ers" unfairly though. Sounds an awful lot like IBT quality talk to a mere member.

Pay any price to have what you have. The IBT loves that response, I am certain. That's just normal for them.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
I'd be happy to discuss the negative aspects of the International on another thread. There are many. That is NOT what the club is about.

My job as Unit President-Elect is entertainment, fun, and preparation for next year. If you aren't having fun you ARE in the wrong club. I'm having a blast.

Matt
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
No thanks. I'll take a pass on talking about the club negatives with you. I'm good. We could talk about the negatives of the implication and identifiers "nay-sayers, pessimists, anti-WBCCI'ers." But I had my say and I am good on that too.

I also like to hear a positive pattern of speech.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote