Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2006, 06:03 PM   #61
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm not throwing flames Shari, what I am saying is therer are more groups like the one in northern IL than there are like the ones in CO, SC, TX to name a few. I'm happy for the folks that have groups that have made it, but a few handfuls of local happy groups does not a national orginization make. There have been and continue to be substantial problems with the national charter.

Joe, if things continue to go, you'll also see the International go away too.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:51 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Is it time for a monocoque Airstream 5th Wheel?

Just a thought, with Airstream getting out of the MH business, would this be a good time for them to consider making an alumunum skinned monocoque 5th wheel to appeal to those soon to be ex-MH owners. Rumor has it that 5er's are easier to pull, and that can allow for more length and weight and interior space. And maybe more slides.

At the 2004 WBCCI International Rally in Lansing, Michigan, I personally heard Dicky Reigel asked about the possibility of creating such an Airstream 5th Wheel and he said he was not interested. Now that he's moved on, could his replacement consider such an undertaking?

If they did and it kept the traditional Airstream appearance as much as possible for a 5er (do not say Squarestream or Integrity), would it find a market with WBCCI Officers or others?
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:16 AM   #63
_

. , .
hi 66o'

watch the basecamp line......
if it goes anywhere.....
i suspect we will see a 5th wheel model....
within this series.....

who knows about styling,
but i suspect the front 5er shape will be more like the
current basecamp front and less like a classic trailer...
curvey side2side...while upright, a slightly sloping rake to suggest speed.

monocoque? unlikely....
given the tiered roof line,
and step-up usually part of a 5er...
and the weight loads that a 5er must handle.
this will be bottom supported model....
doubt the skin and ribs could handle this...
and don't forget the slides....

but it should be silver, shiney and with touches that suggest...
airstream evolution....
simpler interior materials and construction
like the special editions safaris
and hopefully torsen axles....

just a wild bunch of guesses

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:09 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper

CODE OF ETHICS

"To be ever mindful .... to avoid disharmony and ill feelings among club members and to dedicate ourselves to the work of cementing together the members of WBCCI in bonds of good fellowship and mutual understanding. (6/23/01)
Never having been given any published information on the club (as far as I know) I have not seen this before now. I have a problem. Avoiding disharmony is directly against my values.
I do not accept the idea that others are so much weaker than I as humans that I must treat them as of inferior intellect and poor self esteem. I know that to do so is a curse on them and distructive. Conflict is healthy and necessary. It's the de facto test of morale.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:01 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I think it means to seek peace wherever peace is possible. It doesn't mean you can't have and express different opinions. It means you need to learn to not be diagreeable as you are disagreeing.

Conducting ones self as a lessor is a Christain ethic as in the Lord humbling himself to minister to others.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:38 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I think it means to seek peace wherever peace is possible. It doesn't mean you can't have and express different opinions. It means you need to learn to not be diagreeable as you are disagreeing.

Conducting ones self as a lessor is a Christain ethic as in the Lord humbling himself to minister to others.
Boy... you sure do know how to up the ante.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:47 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
ROFL! Sorry Over59 It's Easter.Well hey, if I'm going to name drop, why mess around?

photography
Old 04-17-2006, 07:03 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
Just for the record. Any unit unhappy with the current by-laws regarding voting (or anything else) can propose amended by-laws. Someone must draft a change to the by-law and get it approved by a vote of their unit members. Then their unit President sends it to their Region Board who votes on it and if it passes there, it goes to International to be voted on by the delegates.

This is time consuming, but fairly democratic. There are also deadlines for each step and if you get involved in this, please be aware of those deadlines! I wasn't one year and it really bummed me out! Missing a deadline can delay you a year since the delegates only meet once a year.

You, or anyone else, could start this ball rolling.

The proposed changes should be crafted with great consideration of everything possible. Consult with people in the know and who understand the system. By being thorough, you improve the chances of getting something passed.

If you move to give MAL's a vote, how would they vote? To whom would they send their votes? What other questions might you need to find answers to to determine it your motion is crafted in the best interest of the overall organization/members?

I don't say this to discourage, but to encourage you to know it is possible, but does require some work.

All of the chatter on the forums is fine, but for any change to happen, some of the chatter needs to become action.

The membership is not powerless, we just need to learn how to use the system.

A copy of the current by-laws can be found on the WBCCI web site at www.wbcci.org.

Renee
2nd VP
Region 3
Communicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:42 PM   #69
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
new members directory and unit forums

It would be nice if every unit had it's own on line forum. Dialog for change could be initiated and the progress could be tracked and contributed to, expediting matters and opening up the current status of timely issues as well as activities and events. Travelers would have the opportunity to stay connected with their local units and continue an interchange that could compliment and extend business addressed at attended meetings. Minutes and newsletters could be posted. Involvement could be boosted and time frames could be narrowed from waiting a month or longer before a response. A climate of enthusiasm and encouragement, knowlege and awareness would be cultivated. News feeds from WBCCI or other units could be e-mailed to members. We could expand time for consideration of unit issues large and small beyond the time constraints of luncheon and rally meetings and be better prepared to make advances during those meetings. And it would be just plain fun and cool.

I still think a central database on member number could be implimented with features to provide contact, list courtesy parking, rallies (not attended in the past but to list the ones they will be attending) status of account of dues paid, provision to pay rally fees, place to poll and cast votes, and more. This could be the new members directory, being up to date and editable.

photography
Old 04-18-2006, 05:53 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Duties of the Unit Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
It would be nice if every unit had it's own on line forum...... Travelers would have the opportunity to stay connected with their local units and continue an interchange that could compliment and extend business addressed at attended meetings. Minutes and newsletters could be posted. Involvement could be boosted and time frames could be narrowed...A climate of enthusiasm and encouragement, knowledge and awareness would be cultivated. News feeds from WBCCI or other units could be e-mailed to members. We could expand time for consideration of unit issues....And it would be just plain fun and cool....I still think a central database on member number could be implemented with features to provide contact, list courtesy parking, rallies ...status of account of dues paid, provision to pay rally fees, place to poll and cast votes, and more. This could be the new members directory, being up to date and editable.

Carol:

What a great idea - seriously!...With the "changing of the guard" of the unit I am associated with I have taken it upon myself to "set up" the unit website - I had no idea that the transition from user to html setter-upper would be so difficult. I have used computers fairly extensively in my professional career, but the difference between using "business" programs and web page editing is tremendous...I continue to chip away at it, one problem at a time, but I have a long way to go. I will try to incorporate your suggestions as much as possible...especially the forum and chat ideas.

You know, I can appreciate the hesitance of the "old farts" to embrace this new fangled computer stuff; it is more than just a bit intimidating to anyone who has not “grown up” with computers. Fortunately, the unit I have joined has been fairly successful in recruiting “youngsters” of recent retirement…most of whom are computer literate.

I believe that the evolution of computer based communication will come to WBCCI (or its descendant) within a very short time….those of us who remain in the organization will “force” the change due to succession of membership by the demise of the old guard. I am closer to 60 than 50, so mortality and time constraints are much more in my thoughts than they were 10 years ago.

There are other threads that deal with the evolution of clubs – some go the way of the dinosaurs, and are just a memory – others are like a roach – they are everywhere, but do not seem to affect life one way or the other, and still others, like a religion, stir passion in the hearts of the membership. Maybe passion is too much to ask of the WBCCI, but I realize that there are manifold benefits to being a member….it’s certainly not for everyone, but there are many niches that need filling within the outdoor recreation community. The advent of fast, cheap, and reliable net communication will surely change the recreation club communication just as it has changed business communication. By making the "niche" clubs well known, and allowing regular communication of a like group based across various states, the WBCCI, as the Forum Rallys have demonstrated, could take advantage of widespread AirStream ownership desiring a club affiliation, but not having a "local" club to link to.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:20 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Dennis, congrats on picking up the unit website. There are ways to do things that are not so difficult. A lot of times new things can be made more complicated than they really are - especially if amateur and novice is trying to jump directly to pro and expert. Think back to when the phrase "appropriate technology" was popular.

In re individual unit forums, I don't think these are likely to provide good return for the effort. Just see the forums at WBCCI or Airstream.com. You need a fairly large population to be able to maintain a flow of participation that will keep people interested and involved. The contrast to the 'too small a population forums' is this one. Look at what is being done to support rallies and other activities here. Why not leverage and support a professionaly managed effort that can provide the benefits of scale?

There is a lot that could be done in WBCCI to leverage the power of the entire organization in facilitating web communications and presentation of its and its components activities. First steps in doing this would be to determine where to partner with existing venues and where to obtain an appropriate expertise and then to provide proper support, training, assessment, and feedback to make it work.

Right now all the unit websites are individual things and this is not a very efficient or effective means for the WBCCI to pull itself together. I think that is where people should be looking for coffin nails rather than conspiracy theories about greedy corporations.

There is so much that could be done - should be done IMHO - that has little or nothing to do with cyberphobia or technical expertise. It just needs leadership, innovation, and will.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:33 AM   #72
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks Dennis. And just a few thoughts onto Bryan's comments.

A unit forum would not have to meet any specific level of activity but would provide a link to others in your unit. I think posting to friends and associates would resemble messenger for live time messaging more than the WBCCI forum where you have a place to post but with no direct relation or specific shared goals with other posters.

Dialog with your unit could include health announcements and updates, reminders for rallies, who is bringing what dish for the potluck, howdy to the Jones on the road on their vacation, and pictures back from them. It could inspire and incite to participation within the unit.

It's a place for the unit newsletter to be uploaded and comments about such posted. The smallness of the forum would provide a climate of familiarity, a place to develop communication and therein a stronger sense of unity. It's the telephone or must have CB of the times for club members. It's all about connectivity. Who doesn't have telephone service? Still that doesn't guarantee anyone will call.

photography
Old 07-25-2006, 08:11 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Forming New Unit info

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Have you considered forming your own unit? You can do it, it is not very hard. If you are interested, I can forward the needed information to you via email.
Yes, I am interested in forming a new unit. Please send info.
jerryheald1999@yahoo.com
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote