Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #601
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wam52 View Post

Should a group actually come forward and be interested in creating an RV club for real "Wally" fans. I'm all ears!

WAM
wam, check out the Clubs and Groups Directory at the top of the page. There seems to be a New England/Ontario group organized independent of the WBCCI. It is for motorhomes, however, but if you have a trailer, maybe you can convince them to broaden their scope, or start a NE trailer group yourself. This is all new, so it will take time to develop independent groups and I'm hoping for one in the Southwest.

I think one reason no one has started a competing, traditionally organized Airstream owner's group, is that it's complicated and takes a lot of work. I read some posts indicating something is in the works, but don't know what it is, or maybe it's a fantasy. By publicizing through the Forum you can keep the work to a minimum, although there will be some. It is an opportunity to create a new, simpler paradigm* for groups.

rgesh calls for the NEU to secede from the WBCCI—that would shake up the IBT. If you want to get their attention, secede, or say you will and be sure to follow through if nothing changes. If the 4CU secedes, I'll join (I realize that may keep them from seceding).

Gene

*"prototype: a standard or typical example; "he is the prototype of good breeding"; "he provided America with an image of the good father". I rarely get to use the word, though it's popular in academia.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #602
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Wbcci

I have received my refund, and donated it to the local unit, which I will continue to support, as well as certain rallies.

Andy
Old 01-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #603
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Why can't the International Club become an intraclub of WBCCI like the VAC and the CAC?
I think I know where your going with this but truthfully the WBCCI is the parent corp and the only thing that can be done easily is to secede or split from the parent corp. which as Don posted (somewhere earlier in this same thread) is a clean and simple way to do it. As an intra club you fall into that "underneath" the parent corp category and can't withhold your dues.

LOL I just proposed to my Unit that they consider this. I'm probably going to be ousted next.
Robin

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
Old 01-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #604
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
... It is for motorhomes, however, but if you have a trailer, ...
"A" trailer???? are you kidding??

The man has enough trailers to start his own club, without any other members!!!

(hi, Wayne! )
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Old 01-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #605
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Hmm, a few years ago I()had the idea to apply for membership with my Cruiser serial # and she(Robin)could maintain membership with her Caravel #, thus the ability to register two votes... in two different units if the need were to present itself. A bit pricey, but... That guy with more rigs in his yard than you or I could count; think of what he could do!

I know that 500(+)or(-) posts back, I said I was going to post a well thought out, extensitivley researched, serious-as-hell bit to this thread but... sorry. As the old cliche goes(I hate worn out pop culture cliches, btw,) "been there, done that."

So, from the Bigger-Fish-To-Fry-Department,
"Whatever." Can't wait to camp with our W.B.C.C.I. friends:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Byam.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	94788  

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
Old 01-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #606
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Bunch of the WCBBI-types showed up here in Ajo today; painfully self-absorbed. They are VERY aware of this forum.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #607
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch View Post
I think I know where your going with this but truthfully the WBCCI is the parent corp and the only thing that can be done easily is to secede or split from the parent corp. which as Don posted (somewhere earlier in this same thread) is a clean and simple way to do it. As an intra club you fall into that "underneath" the parent corp category and can't withhold your dues.

LOL I just proposed to my Unit that they consider this. I'm probably going to be ousted next.
Robin
You're in good company Robin.

"Most men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." Thomas Jefferson, 1796
Old 01-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #608
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Bunch of the WCBBI-types showed up here in Ajo today; painfully self-absorbed. They are VERY aware of this forum.
Mike,

Are they from the mid winter and headed for the Hobo Rally in Blythe?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 01-27-2010, 06:13 AM   #609
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Mike,

Are they from the mid winter and headed for the Hobo Rally in Blythe?

Bill
I did not talk with the cranky ones much, but a couple of hours later, at the RV Park we stay at in Ajo, AZ, a whole slew of 'Streams from N. Cal came in from Palm Springs. Must have been fifteen of them, nice folks, WBCCI, had a beer with them. I don't know where they're off to, if it's the Hobo or Cottenwood. I'll find out, they are here for a couple of days.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #610
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Wbcci

ALL the leaders of the WBCCI should be working for FREE.If they can not afford to work for FREE then do not take the job as a.
Some of us old folks CAN NOT afford the $10 per year dues increase to give to the old folks on the IBT so they can have all the perks that none of the members get. None of dues $$$ came back to the units it all goes to them to waste.
The folks on the IBT are not .That they have showen and they sure are about how to run the club. But that is what come with old age.
For many members this year it will be "GOOD-BYE WBCCI". Sorry the IBT would not save you they just let you die from lack of members.
EDITING:Just noticed that this thread and post did not go to the portal page.See if it goes now.NO DID NOT GO GUESS "THEY" DO NOT LIKE IT.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #611
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Feb Blue Beret

No mention here of this months edition of the whipping post - i mean blue beret. that letter (WBCCI Means Family p. 10) from the cancer survivor was unbelievable! Mr. Stephens practically attributes the wbcci local unit for saving his life! i guess the $55 dues last year was worth it to him and his wife.

and then the published dissensions in the letter to the editor section - what is going on??? AND the top brass replies. something strange is going on here.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:19 PM   #612
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula View Post
and then the published dissensions in the letter to the editor section - what is going on??? AND the top brass replies. something strange is going on here.
My take on the publishing of the letters of dissention is that one they either use it as a vehicle to make their reply seem plausible or 2 they pick a letter that is bound to send up flags such as the overuse of the word "stupid" in the second. I would like to have them answer two letters that a membership advocate chooses rather than a member of the leadership selects. I would like the letters that are selected to have tougher questions and better represented positions or persuation that might successfully sway membership and leadership alike. They were not chosen at random. They knew exactly what they were doing in putting those out there to demonstrate how they are seriously addressing the membership's concerns and to better reflect upon themselves in comparison. I didn't personally find it satisfying or the representation engaging or inspiring deeper thought and communication.

And the other story that you mentioned I was thinking much the same as you stated. The guilting of members into believing their membership value is priceless and membership dues is fully supported by family and friends analogies is an emotional ploy and not a hard fiscal proposal at solving the financial woes and retaining and recruiting members by solid benefits and reasonable costs. Of course I am glad the member experienced a favorable outcome and found the support of friends. It is the conclusion and usage that may cause some others also to raise some skepticism.

photography
Old 02-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #613
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
More wool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula View Post
No mention here of this months edition of the whipping post - i mean blue beret. that letter (WBCCI Means Family p. 10) from the cancer survivor was unbelievable! Mr. Stephens practically attributes the wbcci local unit for saving his life! i guess the $55 dues last year was worth it to him and his wife.

Letters to the Editor - "The Unit is Key".... yeah, of course... but nothing of the $55 goes to the unit... that's not why people leave.. it's the hypocrisy of the IBT - why I know 2 left!!! Good one, try again.

Letters to the Editor - "This is YOUR club" right Dave.. 93% of "Your Club" members in Leo's survey said "NO" to the dues raise.. but they raised it to support "THEIR" club... don't try to make it sound like a "Positive Change" Dave - it wasn't, period!

Gayland's story - yeah, I read that a while ago here on the forums.. I'm a huge "Fight Cancer" follower, huge "Livestrong" supporter and was wishing Gayland all the help he could get.. yes - I think it's great that his friends supported him. Yes, perhaps the money to his Unit was worth it.. still not the $55 to the IBT... again, but thanks to the BB for printing that story and we're all glad of Gayland's survival.

One thing about the online version - it's not a waste of paper... and the advertisements and articles are much, much clearer to read..

And then on membership..

Remember that the surveys show that
33.8% of our members are still working
families and 5.6% of these families have
children. Our membership needs this
revitalization of the younger members.

No wonder they are dying off.. No young families with kids.... per their survey.... and young families asked for a different International policy for a per night to come and afford a few nights there.. totally told to "Cowboy up" by the International President... not a way to win over the "Younger" members...

Wait until you see the WBBB we have like 50 kids coming - and a ton of YOUNG families.. I see tons of potential here.. .too bad the WBCCI doesn't.

I'm just glad that I get the BB for free..... it killed me know how much was going to pay for it.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

Old 02-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #614
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Actually $8.16 of your International dues come back to the local in the form of a liability insurance policy that the International buys for $36,500 per year. This liability insurance policy protects the local leaders from suites that might be brought against them for alleged wrongful actions. Without this policy no sane person would run for office to run the local and many potential camping locations would not allow you to run a rally there unless you show them that your club has this policy in effect. That said, you are paying $21 per member to support the travels of your International and Region officers. You are also paying $34 for the full time office help and their benefits.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:54 AM   #615
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
No wonder they are dying off.. No young families with kids.... per their survey...............Wait until you see the WBBB we have like 50 kids coming - and a ton of YOUNG families.. I see tons of potential here.. .too bad the WBCCI doesn't.
This my friends is the key to the whole enchilada. No kids.........no future.

Simple enough............I guess "they" just don't get it.
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
Old 02-05-2010, 05:46 AM   #616
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The original premise of the club (and therefore the name) is "caravan". It is very difficult to take a kid out of school to caravan for any extended period of time. The club's name does not include the word "camping" and therefore the club should not be seen as a camping club. The leadership is running it as it was intended, as a caravaning club for older retired people and those with enough time on their hands and enough money that they can afford and take the opportunity to caravan. If you want a "camping club", you most likely need to need to find a local "camping club" and pay your dues to support it. Yes, the club has now embraced "International and Special Event Rallies" but those are also structured to benefit the people who have the longer periods of time to attend them. The leadership of the club needs to make clear in their advertising what the club is all about and what the target market is. The International supported activities are not intended for young people with kids. Deluding the potential member into thinking the International supports kid friendly functions is false advertising and leads to poor retention and early termination, which we have..

I did take my grandson to the Madison Rally this year and the Youth program (an individual long term effort of Mrs. Amy) was well run and attended by 70 grandkids. My grandson enjoyed the experience.

Some individual local units may also have good youth oriented programs, but the money you pay to the International in dues goes principally to support the old folks and their travels.

The leadership needs to reallocate the overhead cost of the club evenly to those who benefit from those activities. The Caravaning and Special Event Ralling portion of the membership is less that one forth of its current members. (The sum of the International attendees plus the number of people taking national caravans minus the number that do both.) The club needs to reorganized and trim expenses, to spread those cost to the 1,800 members who use the Internationally provided benefits. The question then is "Can the club continue to exist if we only have 1,800 members?" Certainly, the cost of having 45 of them travelling around the country selling tickets becomes cost prohibitive.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #617
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Caravanning or Camping

Dwight,

I know it's a small sample size, but many beg to differ...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ing-59530.html

I know the word Caravan is in the name and maybe that's the fundamental problem... that's why a club directed at with Camping with your Airstream product is being formed.

Stay tuned... this will give Airstreamers an alternative to a club that isn't connected with their needs any longer, an alternative is coming!
Courtesy parking

Old 02-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #618
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
I know the word Caravan is in the name and maybe that's the fundamental problem..
I would vote to keep any individuals name out as well.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Old 02-05-2010, 08:59 AM   #619
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Darn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
I would vote to keep any individuals name out as well.
Well there goes the Rob Baker Camping Club International (RBCCI) .... shoot......
Courtesy parking

Old 02-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #620
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Quote:
"The club's name does not include the word "camping" and therefore the club should not be seen as a camping club. The leadership is running it as it was intended, as a caravaning club for older retired people and those with enough time on their hands and enough money that they can afford and take the opportunity to caravan. If you want a "camping club", you most likely need to need to find a local "camping club" and pay your dues to support it."

Dwight:

Thank you for honestly acknowledging what the WBCCI and you unit are. After being in the WBCCI for five years as a non-retired (working member) I have come to the same conclusion. It is a club for retired Airstreamers. I am reducing my activities with the WBCCI and may not renew my membership after this year since I am not close to retirement. I have become a life-time member of Escapees, will participate more in Airfourm rallies and will join a new Airstream Camping Club when formed. I agree, why waste my money on the WBCCI when I can spend it on a local camping club. That kind of club I would be glad to spend $100 per year on.

Once working WBCCI members acknowledge the WBCCI for what it is and accept it for what it is, Airstreaming becomes simpler. You no longer need to bang your head against the wall in futility. Leo you will learn this once you are thrown out. I purchased my Airstream without even knowing that the WBCCI existed. Airstreaming will always be around in my lifetime; the WBCCI may not.

Again, Dwight - thanks for having the guts to honestly state the situation.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Closed Thread

Tags
greg gibson, vintage-airstream.com