Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #381
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Rob,

That was bad
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:05 PM   #382
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
Maybe the International Bandits and Thieves... I mean International Board of Trustees
My first thought but there is no odor.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:44 PM   #383
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
Maybe the International Bandits and Thieves... I mean International Board of Trustees
Rob, you really need to cool your jets....

Sorry, couldn't resist.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 12-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #384
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Hi Jim M

See you are one of the 4 members reading now while there are 6 guests reading.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:53 PM   #385
Rivet Master

careful HowieE, You're scaring them away!

Pretend like you can't see them.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #386
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Getting back to the issue- cause and effect or creative destruction:

Lets hope the WBCCI’s management is aware of the growing crisis. Neither the club nor the members exist in a vacuum. We’re exposed to all kinds of things that are influenced by new ideas and technologies that challenge the established order. Some good ideas are improvements that should help sustain an organization and move it forward. The other good ideas that no longer work should be discarded.

In this case the excesses and budget imbalances have been long recognized and identified. No one is perfect and these are normal human shortcomings in running any business. However, those in control must make the necessary corrections, simply because the long-range survival of the club must be their primary concern and their obligation.

History has shown that if bad decisions, policies or failures can be hidden or covered, there will be no urgency to change. Often an unstated policy exists within the inner circle to avoid acknowledging their role in creating or neglecting the problem. That often happens in non-democratic governments and certain organizations, and we don’t want to be compared to such groups.

If WBCCI continues to lose members, one can consider that it ran its course and out lived its time. Failure to recognize and address the issues and problems should not be tolerated by any dues paying member. But failure is normal, and we can learn from failures.

Given the dynamic nature of Airstreamers, it is not inconceivable that as the WBCCI becomes irreverent, some other organization will be created to fill the void. Individuals are currently coming together to develop alternatives. But its no guarantee that any new organization will grow and be as successful as the WBCCI was.

The results of the “Frog Roundup IBT Rally” on January 19-23, 2010, could be the important turning point in the development or decline of the WBCCI. Lets hope the IP and IBT will not ignore the issues. Raising the dues, maintaining status quo is throwing good money after bad and dereliction at the club’s peril.

Stay tuned, get involved and vote with your feet or your dues.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:49 AM   #387
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Yes

Great post JStanley...

Like I said before, my target is NOT the WBCCI - it's the leadership of the organization and until they make the much needed (and I think we're all in agreement here) hard to do financial decisions and club directional turns towards the better, I'll be one of their biggest opponents!

My Jet engines are on Full Thrust with an unlimited supply of fuel (Leo - ever been in a secure building (on the inside) and hear the mighty thunder of Fighter jets buzz overhead) on the outside.... ???)

They once had me as a H U G E supporter and got tons of FREE advertising out of me, but they lost me big time... They can get me back, if they do what's right..... but it'll take quite some doing right now...

Jan will be a very telling time... I hope their servers can handle it!
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

Old 12-31-2009, 05:32 AM   #388
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Grassroots

I will add my response to another thread here, as it applies to this discussion;

MisterMike, don't be put off by all this writing and venting. Join the WBCCI and the NEU!

There's lots of focus on "management" here on the Forum, but the truth be known, the WBCCI club is a "grassroots" organization. The really important stuff happens at the Unit level. Rallies, Caravans, Camping, fun and friendships. The rest is just overhead and is very slowly changing; and things will change one way or the other. It just may be too slow for some. The thing that won't change is how much fun we have at the Unit level and that is what the club is about.

I have been around since 1995 and am having too much fun to quit.

New England Unit....in Fun, Fellowship and Adventure.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:47 AM   #389
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Then why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
but the truth be known, the WBCCI club is a "grassroots" organization. The really important stuff happens at the Unit level. Rallies, Caravans, Camping, fun and friendships.
Then why is it that $55 goes to the not so really important stuff and only $10 or $15 goes to the important stuff....

And to join the local, you have to pay the FreeWillies to have that right...

If it's a Grass roots, it'd be the other way around....

Go ahead, keep throwing out over 80% (based on your unit dues).... that's sending the wrong message.. hold out.. at least until you see that more of your hard earned money will be going in the wrong direction when they up it to $75.....

You are right that the local unit is where the fun is... however, the organization serves the other direction. That needs to change!

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

Old 12-31-2009, 06:47 AM   #390
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The clearest most effective form of support is financial. As long as you pay for a service you are saying the service is worth the cost. Once you stop paying the service either changes what they offer to be more desireable to the public or they go out of business. As long as you send your dues to HQ and the IBT uses that money as they see fit, you are just saying it is alright. "Go for it, you have my stamp of approval."

At Madison International there were a few formal cocktail parties for the IBT and their guests. Now, not sure how many have rented out a place and served booze there, but it adds up VERY fast. Throw in some finger food and someone playing some music and it adds up even faster. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Barry H. the incoming president at my Units Installation rally. I thought he had come to see how the WDCU holds a rally. I thought he had come to camp with us. Little did I know he was paid to be there. He was there to hand out ribbons and ask us personally to go to Gillette. I cornered him and suggested strongly that he forego just one cocktail party and use that funding to rent a moon bounce and a pony for the kids at his International. That the budget of just one cocktail party could give the kids(the future of the WBCCI as the BB cover read) something to do at International. He looked at me shocked that I would make such a suggestion. To buy a moon bounce (yes buy, not rent) and rent a pony for a week is less than $1000. Why do I know this? I am one of the organizers of the 1st Annual Wally Byam Birthday Bash. We are going to have a moon bounce or two and maybe a pony.
I would love to know how many were recruited to go to Gillette versus how much the ribbons cost us and how many miles were reimbursed $.50/ mile for Barry to get there. I would imagine the return on the investment was not very good.

On a side note. The cover of the BB that my daughter was on. In the photo she is smiling and looking like a little Wally Bee. Just 2 minutes before the photographer took her photo she was angrily telling me how incredibly bored she was. She was complaining that she couldn't even ride her bike because the old folks didn't seem to even notice her on her bike and she had almost been hit twice. She was suggesting that maybe we go camp somewhere else. "The future of the WBCCI"

Sorry to disagree with you Pam, I know you are right about your unit. The NEU is a very great group and tons of fun to be with. However the lions share goes to feeding the top and virtually nothing is left for the rest of the pack. It is time to get what you pay for.

Also note that IF the attendance at Gillette is not as planed the deficit will grow significantly. Your dues is propping it up.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:07 AM   #391
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Did you hear they are replacing the soap opera show Guiding light with a new soap opera show called As the Airstream wheels turn. Ha Ha just kidding. Frank I said what you stated earlier. If you don't like the service don't pay for it.

Why do people keep paying and joining because?? To find out click below

Old 12-31-2009, 07:37 AM   #392
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Are you suggesting Fiddler replace Lawrence Welk or just be the new theme song for the IBT

Old 12-31-2009, 08:34 AM   #393
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
"The clearest most effective form of support is financial. As long as you pay for a service you are saying the service is worth the cost. Once you stop paying the service either changes what they offer to be more desireable to the public or they go out of business. As long as you send your dues to HQ and the IBT uses that money as they see fit, you are just saying it is alright. "Go for it, you have my stamp of approval.""

For those of us who have already paid 2010 dues, one can do what one can. It appears some attention is being paid to all this, and the IBT has to have some realization that trouble is brewing. Destroy them is not the only option.

Maggie
Old 12-31-2009, 10:52 AM   #394
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
"The clearest most effective form of support is financial. As long as you pay for a service you are saying the service is worth the cost. Once you stop paying the service either changes what they offer to be more desireable to the public or they go out of business. As long as you send your dues to HQ and the IBT uses that money as they see fit, you are just saying it is alright. "Go for it, you have my stamp of approval.""

For those of us who have already paid 2010 dues, one can do what one can. It appears some attention is being paid to all this, and the IBT has to have some realization that trouble is brewing. Destroy them is not the only option.

Maggie
I paid my 2010 dues. Paid it in full real early on. But you can always ask for it back before the year ends. What is todays date?

Everyone has to do what is right for themselves. I hope you can effect this change from within. I feel however you cannot. Do what you need to do. Just remember, as long as you have your Airstream, you are in The Club.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:55 AM   #395
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Frank.

We are not going to make it our mission in life to save the WBCCI, nor to necessarily believe it can be saved, but will try to do our part and hope everyone out there does the same.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #396
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I have a question .....For those that are or will be members in 2010.

Do you feel there needs to be some change?
If so what are you doing or will do to create that change?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-31-2009, 12:26 PM   #397
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
I just joined this forum a few weeks back. I have not joined the other forum as of yet. I am a cautious individual by nature. I will share this with you all out of interest for a group of people whom my family are entertaining joining on outings. The words being exchanged here in no way encouraging people to join your forum or camp with you, that are new here. Weather you are right about your statements being made or not. I find the truth always comes out. Most of the people coming here are pro ably like my family naive to a point and hungry for fun,friendship and down right good friends. Not fussing and fighting. I hope a outsiders thoughts and comments help you all. All of you so far have been unbelievingly helpful to me and my family. We appreciate you all.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:55 PM   #398
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Tom,

If no one has welcomed you to the forum, then welcome. The WBCCI is not affiliated in any way shape or form with this forum, however many forum members are/have been members of the WBCCI, and the direction that the WBCCI has taken is a great sore spot for many of those current/past members.

The biggest source of angst is the International Board of Trustees, a group of individuals who run the WBCCI as they see fit. They have contributed to the financial ruin of the WBCCI. They have been lackadaisical, when it comes to listening to the WBCCI membership, and they have censored, censured, suspended and even expelled members who have presented opposing points of view. I'm simplifying this, because going into detail would mean spending months typing.

While the WBCCI has its own forum, WBCCI members who have posted their frustrations with the club have found their posts deleted or modified, due to the moderators, some who aren't even WBCCI members.

This forum is intended to share Airstream knowledge. Part of that knowledge involves knowing what's going with the WBCCI. There are present and past members (myself included) who do not want to see the WBCCI go the way of the dinosaur, and this is the only place where they can discuss these matters. What you view to be negativity is really a culmination of years of frustration. I respectfully suggest that, if you are put off by the conversations presented in this section of the forum, read the other sections; there is a ton of good information here.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 12-31-2009, 01:22 PM   #399
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
new club Silver

I have been thinking of starting my own club called SILVER STREAMERS.All executives
officers get no pay , no travel allowances , there is no club fees, only a background check for crooks and thieves. linking it with a great magazine like a airstream life.all unit dues would stay in the units.a national rally 2 times a year both coast for all members and non member prospects. WOULD OR COULD IT WORK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
Tom,

If no one has welcomed you to the forum, then welcome. The WBCCI is not affiliated in any way shape or form with this forum, however many forum members are/have been members of the WBCCI, and the direction that the WBCCI has taken is a great sore spot for many of those current/past members.

The biggest source of angst is the International Board of Trustees, a group of individuals who run the WBCCI as they see fit. They have contributed to the financial ruin of the WBCCI. They have been lackadaisical, when it comes to listening to the WBCCI membership, and they have censored, censured, suspended and even expelled members who have presented opposing points of view. I'm simplifying this, because going into detail would mean spending months typing.

While the WBCCI has its own forum, WBCCI members who have posted their frustrations with the club have found their posts deleted or modified, due to the moderators, some who aren't even WBCCI members.

This forum is intended to share Airstream knowledge. Part of that knowledge involves knowing what's going with the WBCCI. There are present and past members (myself included) who do not want to see the WBCCI go the way of the dinosaur, and this is the only place where they can discuss these matters. What you view to be negativity is really a culmination of years of frustration. I respectfully suggest that, if you are put off by the conversations presented in this section of the forum, read the other sections; there is a ton of good information here.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
Old 12-31-2009, 01:31 PM   #400
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Point well taken Mr Lynes.

Tags
greg gibson, vintage-airstream.com