Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #181
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
I am always curious when people make comments about the Club. Do they belong? Are they just non-Airstream bystanders? Are they Airstream owners?

Gene Crawford isn't currently listed in the Directory.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please: I don't believe Genes last name is Crawford, unless his town is named after him, and I don't think it matters if he or anyone commenting here is a member or not. Trying to narrow this discussion to current and/or previous members is an unnecessary distraction from the conversation, AND, if I understand what you all have written here and elsewhere, it is current and former members who have brought the club to this point, right? Not those of us who have yet to join.
I encourage you to read and take the best ideas you can find, regardless of who wrote them. Remember, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Rich the Viking
Old 12-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #182
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben4762 View Post
Did someone post that Gene did not have the right to comment.? No. PeeWee just posted that he was curious about people who post here and that Gene was not in the directory. Nothing more.
If it is that simple why didn't PeeWee list all the people that posted to this thread that are not listed in the WBCCI 2009 directory?

I personally find it hard to speak for anyone. You never really know what point they are trying make. All you can do is speculate. Maybe PeeWee should speak for himself.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 12-21-2009, 05:34 PM   #183
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
If is that simple why didn't PeeWee list all the people that posted to this thread that are not listed in the WBCCI 2009 directory?

I personally find it hard to speak for anyone. You never really know what point they are trying make. All you can do is speculate. Maybe PeeWee should speak for himself.
I only know what he posted and you are the one that's speculating.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #184
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
p. 214

Schumann #3090
Schurr #8907
Schwab #3090
Schwartz #6727
Schwartz#6169
Schwartz....

p.239

Yee #4118
Yensan# 7183
Yerk #287....
Old 12-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #185
Rivet Master

28 viewers, and no positive comments?
Is it time to flush this toilet, or what?
Old 12-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #186
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
28 viewers, and no positive comments?
Is it time to flush this toilet, or what?
Can you explane your numbers?

I see 189 posts and 10.039 viewings. Flushing the toilet may be a bit early doesn't look like the paperwork is done yet.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #187
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
I am always curious when people make comments about the Club. Do they belong? Are they just non-Airstream bystanders? Are they Airstream owners?

Gene Crawford isn't currently listed in the Directory.
PeeWee... I am sure that your response is obviously in response to the earlier post about you neither owning a trailer, nor being a dues-paying member, and yet still being a club member, and I can understand your indignation at that remark.

However, I'm calling you out on this thread. In your "Charter Member Opinion" thread, I responded as a long-time Airstream owner, and former Club member in this post:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...tml#post767199

You chose not to respond in that thread again at all, and yet here you are in this thread stirring the pot again. The problems with the club are so obvious, they're practically prima facie. You admitted yourself in that thread that nothing's changed in the club in the fifty years since your mother started it. It's unfortunate that you're having difficulty grasping that the Club you have such affection for and are so quick to defend will die from lack of membership with the direction of it's current leadership whether or not they're right or wrong. The club's direction is not a direction that current owners are comfortable taking.

I also find your swift dismissal of the Forums here as fluff pretty interesting since many of our active members here are also active Club members; many of them have been movers and shakers in the WBCCI in the past several years... backbone of the organization kind of people. The overlap is substantial. The Forums here are neither a moving force, nor a negative force. They are merely a place for like minded folk to discuss what's on their mind, and as you can see, those discussions are taking place.

Your contributions here to the known history of Airstream ownership have been greatly appreciated. If you want the Club about which you are so passionate to survive, I suggest to you that rather than merely sparring with the dissidents, and then threatening to cut and run after the first of the year, that the Club might be better served by you carrying the message to the governing body that perhaps it's time for some change for the good of the organization. Take the opportunity to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem.

Thanks for taking the time to hear me out.

Roger
Old 12-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #188
Rivet Master

In response to HowieE:
It was the number of viewers looking at this thread at the time of my last post. My comment is in regards to the last page or two of this thread being mostly pi$$ & vinegar.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #189
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Nor Past Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwanabe View Post
IMHO,
if forum members make comments (especially critical) about the WBCCI , you would think or assume that they are current or former members?

Otherwise the comments made do not have that much validity.

Right??
When you throw the towel in you give up the right to continue to wack at the WBCCI. If you want to hang around then have at it.

When you bail do it with grace.
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 12-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #190
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick View Post
When you throw the towel in you give up the right to continue to wack at the WBCCI.
Who made up that rule?
Old 12-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #191
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
What is the Name of this Forum? The Airstream Knowledge Sharing Forums. What a great concept. Lots of knowledge has been shared about Airstreams on this forum. I never knew there was a club associated with Airstreams until I started to do an inquiry on how to fix my trailer.

I like to read everything that is posted. I guess I should stay away from this continuous conflict, which has been posted under different thread titles. The only comments I have made have been about my life long experiences with clubs (35 years). Many of the same behaviors repeat themselves over and over within clubs even though they can be different activities. I see the same type of arguments with this club that I have experienced in my life time with other types of clubs.

It is like when a company hires a CEO to take over a business they have never worked for selling or building a product totally different from anything they have worked with before. These types of things have patterns that are universal.

If my making a comment has bothered anybody I apologize. Constant fighting is never going to solve anything for anybody. You can talk and talk and talk, but for the last couple of years I've been associated with this forum the same conflict keeps creeping in.

Start a new club and be done with it, go solo, or be happy with the current club. If you are going to air this stuff it is fair game for people to make comments even if they are not members of the club. They are members of this forum.

For all the years I have been involved with clubs it does not matter if the leadership changes. You will always have members who are going to pick the club apart. It is the nature of the beast.

Brian
Old 12-21-2009, 07:31 PM   #192
Rivet Master

In search to cure the hunger and find perfect nutrition, they began to eat their own.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #193
1 Rivet Member

1989 35' Land Yacht
Sherburne , New York
I am so glad this topic has come up. I am new to the road of Airstreaming! I have been trying to figure out what clubs and groups to join and not join. I operate a dairy farm with my family here in Upstate NY. So I don't get much time away. I just bought a airstream this past fall, its a fixer upper, but most are. But anyways, when I go camping its about being with my family and friends. I don't care who's in the site next to me, it can be a tent or a diesel pusher, we are all there to CAMP. Everyone has a different opinion on what camping is. Camping to me is having a great time with my family. It sounds to me that these clubs charge you $55 or $75 per year to be part of a over rated registry of owners, where politics have taken over, and you get little in return. Plus I think that my family might be a little too young for most of the units out there. I have looked at a few and it seems like they are not very family/child oriented. Hell it kills me to think I have to pay over $100 per year just to run the trailer down the road, lol.... So I guess I will be the one of many going down the road this summer with no numbers, but don't let that fool you, cause it will always have the name "Airstream" on the side of it, and my sign will always say "Welcome"
Old 12-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #194
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
gklabs

Keep an eye on the rally calendar and threads, the forum rallies (these are not the same as WBCCI rallies) are probably right down your line. Also, WBCCI rallies vary widely from unit to unit (they are kind of like a box of chocolates) and can be a hoot. The thing about the WBCCI is you have to be able to accept that it is, to say the least, it has its flaws.....

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Old 12-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #195
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklabs View Post
I am so glad this topic has come up. I am new to the road of Airstreaming! I have been trying to figure out what clubs and groups to join and not join. I operate a dairy farm with my family here in Upstate NY. So I don't get much time away. I just bought a airstream this past fall, its a fixer upper, but most are. But anyways, when I go camping its about being with my family and friends. I don't care who's in the site next to me, it can be a tent or a diesel pusher, we are all there to CAMP. Everyone has a different opinion on what camping is. Camping to me is having a great time with my family. It sounds to me that these clubs charge you $55 or $75 per year to be part of a over rated registry of owners, where politics have taken over, and you get little in return. Plus I think that my family might be a little too young for most of the units out there. I have looked at a few and it seems like they are not very family/child oriented. Hell it kills me to think I have to pay over $100 per year just to run the trailer down the road, lol.... So I guess I will be the one of many going down the road this summer with no numbers, but don't let that fool you, cause it will always have the name "Airstream" on the side of it, and my sign will always say "Welcome"
I've had fun with this group. Tin Can Tourists

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 12-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #196
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Four Corners Unit likes to camp, eat, drink, socialize, and behave poorly in large groups around the campfire...we also seem to like cheap or free...desert is also good...weight watchers will never be part of our master plan...oh, wait, we have to have one first!!!
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
Old 12-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #197
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
In search to cure the hunger and find perfect nutrition, they began to eat their own.
I think Wally and Pee Wee encountered some cannibals when the WBCCI ventured from Capetown, South Africa to Cairo, Egypt in 1959.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5
Old 12-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #198
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
biting yer time...?

Beginning to think that the only cannibals PeeWee has encountered are on this thread
Old 12-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #199
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
The target is the IBT

For years it’s been the tradition for those in power to avoid direct dialogue on important issues concerning the general membership. The IBT’s legacy is largely responsible. There have been counter productive and misguided actions, comments and digressions. Remember the target is the IBT- -because they control and maintains the bylaws.

One can’t blame or ridicule the current administration for the systemic issues and then expect them to trust our concerns and work on progressive improvements. Whatever it takes to implement changes, be they political, procedural, administrative, etc. these are factors that need to be taken into account. And it will take time. That time spent during the transition will see a continued erosion of membership as well as reduction of first-time members.

The theme of this thread, i.e., the resignation of very active, prominent and outspoken members, is another wakeup call. Never forget why they quit. As we try to avoid controversial issues among the various factions one needs to focus on the real issues. Several good ideas and policies are listed in this thread and elsewhere on AIRForums.

On Jan. 14, 2009, the WBCCI’s “2020 Long Range Planning Committee” presented a number of change proposals. See: http://www.wbcci2.org/NewDirections2020.pdf .
It’s a start, but one has to wonder what happened in the year since then. If people have to wait 10 years for any possible changes it will be too late.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:44 PM   #200
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Michael and Tracy Bertch...30362...4CU...Air# something...I pay, I play, but I expect more for my money than someone else's meals...NO, I don't have a vest, BUT I DO have a tiara...wear THAT to the international!!!mike
Closed Thread

Tags
greg gibson, vintage-airstream.com