Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Picture, worth a 1000 Airstream Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Ed, I think you are wasting your breath. A picture has been painted .
So what picture do you see, don't let those naysayers get you in a funk. The club and us REAL members are still cool!
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
A hunting trip on Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Hi, Ho,

Thanks for the good words about the WI unit! Actually, we need to do our part and find you a vintage Airstream! Not to worry. . . Appleton seems to have a magnetic attraction for them. . .

Happy Thanksgiving,
Nuvi
And its not deer. We are on a road trip on Friday to look at a 54, and its in WI. I'll share the goods on this 22 footer when I get back. What a great way to spend a day off, looking at an Airstream for sale within a day trip. Oh I can't wait to add # 4, its better than buying a new car.

My neighbors think I'm nuts but I just need more storage
Old 11-26-2008, 11:08 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Thanks everyone for providing some input on this. I have been reading along, just haven't had time to post here. I'm always amazed how a WBCCI discussion thread grows so fast. We are really passionate about this stuff here

I appreciate Nuvite-F breaking down the written documents in post #52. I agree that there really doesn't seem to be anything written that states this rule. However, like 65GT said in post #43 there are some past members (I know this for a fact) that aren't welcome at a WBCCI rally (trust me on this--you wouldn't want to be camped with them). What keeps getting thrown at me though is insurance issues. Nobody has really explained this to me yet. Does an ex-member's attendance at a rally cancel our insurance? What does the WBCCI policy actually say?

Policing this though is really a nightmare for the registrar of a rally. It means you have to call HQ whenever a non-member sends in their registration. I'm ready to say come one and all. I want to build up the FL unit, and WBCCI membership. Maybe I can show some ex-members a good time and get them to re-up. Now how do I keep the wack jobs from coming and parking next to me?

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:42 AM   #64
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Ed, there are many pictures painted, but this one is an exceptionally colorful painting.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2926.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	458.2 KB
ID:	71831
Now if you scan that photo, you will find a face of a non WBCCI er. He is now a WDCU member and has been to another rally since this photo was taken. He was a secret guest at this rally. Keep looking, you won't find Waldo, but you will find two couples that were MALs, but now also belong to the WDCU.

There is this painting that was painted too...

Name:	IMG_3178.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	71832
Believe it or not this is a very serious ceremony in which many "RULES" needed to be followed during the swearing in of our new officers. It was so serious, that we did it in front of the campfire at sunset. Not in the picture are the forums members that came just to see what the WBCCI was about. You also do not see the two other couples that have chosen to leave their stuck in the mud units and become members of our unit. You also do not see the ten cases of beer the local distributor donated to our event.

Pretty boring paintings of the WBCCI if you ask me.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:51 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The National Constitution is trying to sell memberships.

The national (and some locals as well) has had some freeloaders in the past and wants to prevent it in the future. WBCCI members feel WBCCI is all about Airstreams, as can be seen in the overwelming defeat of the SOB proposal last year.

Airstreamers can get together anywhere to discuss and have fun with Airstreams or any other RV but that may not necessarily be a formal "WBCCI" function. Forum Rallies, TCT, and non-organizations may sponsor these get togethers and do. If you do not want to obey the rules of the National, do not call it a WBCCI function.

The insurance policy (paid for by the National) only protects the officers/organizers of an WBCCI function from law suites against them by someone who thinks he was damaged by the actions of that officer/organizer. This is an extremely rare occurance. If you want to sponsor (take financial and personal liability) for an outing, do not make it a WBCCI function and you do not need to obey any rules.

Without this insurance policy no one would ever want to run for office or organize and run a rally.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:12 AM   #66
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Randy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCabin View Post
What keeps getting thrown at me though is insurance issues. Nobody has really explained this to me yet. Does an ex-member's attendance at a rally cancel our insurance?
I guess when somebody "throws the insurance issue at you" you need to ask them to explain it to you. They're the one "in the know"--or claim to be.

I don't know, but I very strongly doubt that attendance by any particular person at a rally would void the insurance coverage for the rally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCabin View Post
I agree that there really doesn't seem to be anything written that states this rule.
Ah, yes, the "unwritten rule". In my humble opinion there are as many "unwritten rules" as there are people who make them up.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:40 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
We need to Keep Painting

Quote:
Ed, there are many pictures painted, but this one is an exceptionally colorful painting.

Pretty boring paintings of the WBCCI if you ask me.
Now that's a painting! Ya know thats what I see too. I'll keep looking for the non-member, you guys did a good job making them look like the WBCCI members that I know!
Old 11-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Nuvite-F
I have a question. Why would U belong to a Unit 500 miles away and not support a unit in your own backyard. It dont seem rite.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:47 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
BETTER UNIT

I leave one behind and cross 2 others to get to WDCU and mine is one of the shorter distances traveled

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Nuvite-F, I have a question. Why would U belong to a Unit 500 miles away and not support a unit in your own backyard? It dont seem rite.
Hi Roger:

Because not everyone abides by the rule that if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

For example, let's say you lived in Maryland but the closest WBCCI unit to you was the WDCU Unit. You can't stand loud shirts and people who wear fake flowers around their necks. They obviously have no respect for decorum and dignity. The sound of children laughing annoys you to no end, and they run around as if they are not in church. Campfires are nasty because they encourage people to stay up past bedtime, the smoke gets in your eyes, and marshmellows are not good for your health. This Unit does not enforce sensible rules that everyone should follow and they cannot adhere to a tight schedule. To top it all off, they never serve boiled ham in hot water with instant mashed potatoes and canned peas for dinner. You just can't stand the fancy-named foreign dishes they cook and impose on everyone.

But 500 miles away is the Unit of your dreams. Just before they shake your hand welcoming you as their newest member, they hand you a 5" thick three ring binder of rules, with an index! Thankfully everyone knows the rules and follows them. Rally dress is sensible: coats and ties for the men and knee-length party dresses for the women. No one tries to dress better or more foolishly than others. A comfortable uniformity prevails throughout each rally. Alcohol consumption is severely frowned upon, and thankfully the few drunkards conceal their sinning in brown paper bags or slink off to their trailer to partake. Everyone retires to their trailer when the sun sets so they can be freshly shaved and showered when it rises the next morning. Their rallies exude a quiet calm and relaxing pace that soothes your nerves. These people know how to behave!

So you join a unit 500 miles away because it's members are much better suited to your personality. It's the same reason every guy does not marry the girl next door: proximity is not the best indicator of compatibility. Sometimes you have to search and explore a bit, and occasionally travel, to find what you like. Unfortunately, life is not always convenient.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #71
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Insurance: there are different types of policies and even the same types have different coverages and exclusions. The insurance dwight' mentions appears to be Directors & Officers insurance. That protects the board of directors and the organization's officers if they are sued for some things they have done in their official capacity if there's a claim against them. I doubt that would have much to do with any restrictions upon attendance at a rally. That would be covered by a general liability policy of some type.

Until you read the policy you don't know what it says. Somebody may read it and misunderstand it, so reading it yourself is better. In my experience insurance policies are written to be ambiguous and vague so the company can say you aren't covered. I have read many policies, but I can't always figure them out. That's not encouraging, but to be sure, read the policy and then ask a lawyer who specializes in insurance matters what it says. The agent may not know or understand the policy, so I don't think they are the best people to ask. Most work for the company.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
WeeWind
Nice explanation. I see your point. But I would like to hear Nuvite-F's explanation of why he don't belong to the local UNIT. U may be rite on with your explaination of a stuff shirt Unit that is more interested in politics than havin fun. That was the impression I got when I talked to the local president in October. So if thats the reason then I wouldn't want to belong here either. Its because of the politics and the better than thou attitudes that I choose not to join. We tried to get aquainted in Sept at a WBCCI rally (we were just visiting, no trailer)and were snubbed by all but two people. NOW u maybe understand my position. Basicly snubbed by the Local Unit Pres, with her better that thou attitude and then the Rally at Fremont Ohio about did it for us. A Shame ! We might have joined were it not for all that.
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
Old 11-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
For example, let's say you lived in Maryland but the closest WBCCI unit to you was the WDCU Unit. You can't stand loud shirts and people who wear fake flowers around their necks. They obviously have no respect for decorum and dignity. The sound of children laughing annoys you to no end, and they run around as if they are not in church. Campfires are nasty because they encourage people to stay up past bedtime, the smoke gets in your eyes, and marshmellows are not good for your health. This Unit does not enforce sensible rules that everyone should follow and they cannot adhere to a tight schedule. To top it all off, they never serve boiled ham in hot water with instant mashed potatoes and canned peas for dinner. You just can't stand the fancy-named foreign dishes they cook and impose on everyone.
47 WEEWind

I assume your description is based on the picture of the WDCU Hawaiian rally in south Jersey. What the picture failed to show was the half naked women demonstrating several exotic dances from the savage south pacific islands, the animal unfriendly pig roast, and the public projection of Indiana Jones films well beyond bedtime.

Too bad you missed it! Then maybe you would understand why our members are willing to drive those extra miles, one from NH, VA, WV, NY, PA, NC, MD, and of course NJ.

Now if you really want to see us at our best join us at the Cherry Blossom Rally in April where we convene in an uncleaned horse field. That really puts the 5 second rule to the test.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #74
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Howie, you mean like these half naked women?

Name:	IMG_2928.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	71878
Or these two characters having a little fun? That is Robandzoe to the right,in the navy sweater...

Name:	IMG_2948.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	71879
Or do you mean Dannee here having the time of his life?

Name:	IMG_2953.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	71880
Sorry no pictures of the pig, it was mighty tasty though.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:08 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
No Snubbing in WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
WeeWind
But I would like to hear Nuvite-F's explanation of why he don't belong to the local UNIT. Its because of the politics and the better than thou attitudes that I choose not to join. We tried to get aquainted in Sept at a WBCCI rally (we were just visiting, no trailer)and were snubbed by all but two people. NOW u maybe understand my position. Basicly snubbed by the Local Unit Pres, with her better that thou attitude and then the Rally at Fremont Ohio about did it for us. A Shame ! We might have joined were it not for all that.
Mike, you just need to come join us in WI, I know a group of us that will make you feel welcome.!
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 11-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
I have to move

Quote:
Howie, you mean like these half naked women?
Half naked women, man I love this club!
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 11-28-2008, 04:37 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
62overlander

You captured

Old 11-28-2008, 05:28 PM   #78
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
HEY SOMEBODIES TAG CHANGED.... Ed congrats on the new trailer
Old 11-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Wow. If such a rule does exist, we need to kill it. With fire. Now.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
I wish we could come Ed but that far away I cant support your local activities and I am a firm believer in supporting organizations I belong too Thanks.
I know it would be fun. We camped the past season with alot of members and we had a blast,but the pomp and politics I will stay away from. Sorry thats my impression of WBCCI and those who run it. I will now read only NO MORE comments.
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7