Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Election 2009-WBCCI "free?" style

Here's the news of it,

If you haven't been following Save Wally or the Region 9 website then you may have missed the latest. The region 9 web master of 5 years has resigned after the region 9 president demanded a candidacy statement be removed from the site. Other statements of members had been on site for weeks if not month, now all position papers have been removed under duress.

Here is some background of it,

Election 2008 had unit presidents directed to misinstruct their unit members to vote for the committee's choices, with no mention of those candidates running from the floor and the members ability to exercise all their options. Upon appealing that fact to leadership it was "resolved" that no correction be sent out but an apology and announcement at the time of bringing the units votes forward at the International rally election was all the responsibility and appropriate action needed from the mis steps of election officials.

Members running from the floor for 2008 elections found themselves later becoming the object of unsupported and inflamatory charges filed with the greivance committee and causing hardship for members and region leaders. A region president was expelled and barred from his region rally of his own planning and his region members were denied their opportunity to be considered in competing with other regions and units as their data was not considered in the WBCCI whole. The region president lost his place to remain and help structure the future of the club. All charges were eventually dropped or members reinstated with the committee asking for published apologies towards these members and others of the involved units and regions in the Blue Beret and online that never materialized. In fact there is clean-up and damge control in the works of archiving WBCCI forums and starting with a clean, agressively monitored and structured "new" forums to be drawn out at International 2009 before leadship will participate online.

The International President has made a decision that this year, unlike last year, those candidates not nominated by their own committee have no special privileges" such as being able to use the Blue Beret to announce their desire to volunteer for office and their plans if they are elected. Under the insulting guise of balancing the budget, the IP says a member must pay to have that information in the members magazine.

But wait there is more...If you do not travel to the IBT midwinter rally and be interviewed you cannot be considered for official nomination, you would not have satisfied the "qualifications" for office. And as a side note, even if you do travel to the rally it is not assured you will interview or be nominated for the right to try to be a leader and let membership decide if they want you to try to move the club forward.

Not enough? A stellar website and formerly a great example for one of the regions recently was pressured to remove all candidate statements from view. The reasons have not been made public but is suspected to be more of the same obstructionist regime like tactics of current leadership to protect its own standing with the stonewalling of newcomers. The politics of election 2008 and 2009 have been very overt and unethical and frought with error and inconsistency.

Are you paying attention? Does your unit and its members support transparency and a free election? Have you read Phil Pons reports as a region leader and his conclusions and assessment of the system? Phil Pons Writes About LEADERSHIP Have you read Ontario's unit letter to the International President? Ontario Unit Letter to Larson on IP Jan Report | SaveWally.org

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Which is it?

Taken from the IP Jerry Larson's letter of January 31, 2009

"Nominees nominated by the Nominating Committee
(Who are the Member’s representatives) screen and
evaluate the qualifications of each potential candidate
who followed the approved Member’s procedures in
the WBCCI Constitution."

"ARTICLE XIII - NOMINATING COMMITTEE of
the WBCCI CONSTITUTION (Page 7) is copied here
for your convenience and reference.
Sec. 1 The Nominating Committee shall consist of
three (3) members, the Chairman of which shall be
elected by the Board of Trustees at their first meeting.
The other two members shall be elected by the Delegates
at the annual Delegate's meeting."

So the IBT nominates the "members' representatives" to then nominate the members' representatives and now the un-nominated representatives from the members are getting in the way of this very skewed procedure? Is that about it? How can the other two nominees be elected by the delgates when the IBT only sends out their recommendations and instructions to the unit presidents to vote for their nominated choices without mentioning that others are running and could be voted for, as they did last year, and obstructs mission statements from volunteers to be published in members news publication the BB and removes statements from region web sites?

To balance the weight of power and give power to the delegates would seem to me to preclude the IBT telling the delegates which members to vote for. That "courtesy" report that is a custom and not in the constitution is against the intent of the constitution and impedes the clubs free elections and prejudices heavily upon the current board's acceptance or private election and thereby in fact votes in all three members to the nominating committee who in turn continue the personal selection of power upward.

photography
Old 03-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I agree - Phil's writing is worth reading. What the WBCCI is doing now once again ensures that the club does not move forward. Picture an airplane - without forward movement, the plane will stall and return to terra firma in an uncontrolled and disasterous manner. That is what I see the WBCCI doing. No forward movement, stalling out.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Thank you Carol for this info. It's nothing less than I would expect based on recent past performance.

I can't wait to see the WBCCI Forums. That will last about a week until someone says something that counters the IBT.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_of_the_majority
Old 03-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Politics are for those with self interest to grandize themselves or for the few who think they can make a change. Good ideas go to the wayside when they are good and so the story goes. More strong local chapters are what is needed.
I think the dues i paid to WBCCI was a waste when the gal at the office was totally incompetnent. Now where does all the money go. How many people do they need in the office. LOL
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I just have a question... when the WBCCI elects someone, does white smoke appear from the chimney of an Airstream?
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:48 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT View Post
No, at WBCCI everyone is actually elected by just three people in January. Then, all 6,000+ members gather in June, to do a ritual unanimous head nod in the affirmative, for the single candidates that have been selected by the current leadership.

It's just another one of the WBCCI's very outdated and controlling celebratory rituals.

You know though, I've never been to a mid-winter IBT meeting. Smoke might actually come out of Airstream chimneys in January. Hmm....

You didn't think members actually had a choice in who runs this club, did you?

__

That pretty much sums it up.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
So If you have no say in WHO runs the club or NO SAY in how your dues are actually spent. WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YA SEND THESE PEOPLE MONEY?? DUES Whatever ya wanna call it.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Died?

Let face the facts.
(1) WBCCI is slowly bleeding to death from loss of member each year.
(2) To me this loss is becauce we are getting fewer younger members 45 years old or less. I see them out in their Airstream ever day and when I talk with them about joining the WBCCI they just .
(3) Many of them tell me the WBCCI is for old folks, that are set in their ways and are running the WBCCI.Me I think there are two types of old folks, the ones set in their way and the rebels like me that always want to stur the pot.Neither type should run the WBCCI if it is going to live.
(4) What we need is a NEW ruling class to run the WBCCI, the young ones, under 50 years old.No region officers over 45 years old and no IBT members over 50 years old.
(5) Now how do we do that? How do we get less rules and change the rules? Does anyone have the answer?
(6) The BIG 3 auto manufactures, AIG and others are good examples of what happens when old folks run them.Are the members of the WBCCI going to let it die because old farts set in their ways rule it?
(7) The government is not going to bail us out.We have to do this our self.I hope there is someone young out there that can get a hold of the boot straps and pull.
(8) WHAT SAY YOU?
Old 03-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post
(4) What we need is a NEW ruling class to run the WBCCI, the young ones, under 50 years old.No region officers over 45 years old and no IBT members over 50 years old.
(5) Now how do we do that? How do we get less rules and change the rules? Does anyone have the answer?
(8) WHAT SAY YOU?
Watch Logan's Run. Logan's Run (1976) - Synopsis

At age 30, the life clock flashes red, and the bearer must report for a ceremony where he is told he is "renewed" but is in fact incinerated. Those who wish to avoid the 30-year-limit must become what is called a "runner." Runners are considered criminals, and hunted by policemen known as "sandmen."

photography
Old 03-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The following is posted tongue-in-chique, but there may be more truth in it than we want to admit...

Nigerian Scammer: Wants you to send them money so they can support their families.
WBCCI Leadership: Wants you to send them money so they can support their club.

Nigerian Scammer: Gives you a good story about what you are supposedly getting for your money.
WBCCI Leadership: Ditto.

Nigerian Scammer: Hopes you will not try to find out where your money went.
WBCCI Leadership: Ditto.

Nigerian Scammer: Knows there is really nothing you can do after you send them your money.
WBCCI Leadership: Ditto (again).

Nigerian Scammer: Only a couple out of thousands of "fish" will fall for their dog and pony show, but that's all they need to keep going.
WBCCI Leadership: I think I may see a pattern developing...
Old 03-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #13
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Well, I'm 47 yrs old and have been a member of WBCCI for the three years since we bought our Airstream in 2006 and just attended my first rally (FL State Rally). I was among the youngest half-dozen people I saw there. In all honesty, I surveyed the crowd one night and thought to myself that the biggest reason that there were approximately 100 fewer trailers this year than last is probably the same reason there will probably be a similar decline in attendance next year: most of those there last year and not this probably died of old age in the interim.

In the three years I've been a member, I've never received any reason to rejoin except the renewal form every fall. I plan to attend the Region 3 Rally in April and possibly the Georgia State Rally in May (well, maybe) but unless I see something to make me interested in sending another $70 for a year's subscription to the Blue Beret I think I'll just save my money this year.

I had hoped that there would be a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel and the IBT would wake up and smell the dog poop on the drive and realize that with the status quo, the club is heading down the road that not only is less traveled, but is a dead end. There are lots of good people in the Club and they are really trying to make a difference, but as long as we have a dictatorship run by out of touch and out of date narcissists there is no saving Wally.

As has been said before, "Let them eat cake."
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Wow, another WBCCI thread. What is the goal of all these threads and has it been realized?

I don't think age is the only thing involved—attitude, world view, feeling towards power, are all involved. There are plenty of younger people who fit the mold often associated with geezers.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Personally, I don't think age has as much to do with it, as pure snooty stupidity does. Remember, I am a geriatric nurse. I've been to rallys, even the florida state several times, I've been to other rallies, and most of the older people do not like what is going on any more than the young ones do. They just don't bother with the officers, and just go to have fun. For the most part, they go for the companionship, and maybe to learn something new.

To say no old person can hold office, only ones under 45 is ludicrous, and should be considered the same as the old folks saying what they are about voting and all the other dumb stuff that has come up in the last few years.

I sincerely believe the comments in the post #11 was meant as tongue in cheek, at least I hope so. Sorry just my 2 cents worth

Marie
Old 03-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #16
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Wow, another WBCCI thread. What is the goal of all these threads and has it been realized?
Gene
I'm not sure I said that clearly. What I meant was—I have read numerous WBCCI threads. They are interesting, up to a point. Some say WBCCI is out of date, failing, authoritarian, etc. Some love WBCCI. Some say "go camping and ignore the leaders". Some are trying to reform WBCCI. Flaming starts after a while—believe me, I know. It seems the same things are being said over and over. While that is temporarily useful group therapy, where does it lead? A lot of people seem to be writing to their own choir.

Real change is a lot of work (another group therapy analogy), but necessary if change is going to happen. Are these threads actually promoting change? Do they reflect ever hardening positions? Real change may have to happen behind the scenes of the Forum, and maybe it is—how would I know? Or is it time to start a new organization for people who want a group with different ways of doing things?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The WBCCI Constitution was poorly written and with the non-aroused participating members, it is almost impossible to get it changed. To become a leader with any real input that matters takes 10 years in the club at a minimum and you almost have to be fully retired to really start up the leadership seniority ranks. That makes the usual leaders over 73 and not in the same generation or way of thinking that could bring meaninfull change to the organization. By that time, they are just into enjoying their leadership position and taking bows for the rallies they get to preside over.

I have been in the organization for 14 years and they are still talking intentions of possibly making changes that were discussed 14 years ago and have done almost nothing about actually making any changes. Both myself and my wife have been local unit officers.

The "International" level of leadership seems to have their own circle of friends and they like it that way. Membership benefits are the same as they were 30 years ago and targeted to the fully retired. Membership numbers have continued to go down the drain for 20 years. The leaders do what they want and enjoy. The fake vote, with the only candidates selected by the leaders, guarentees there will be no change.

The non-retired members get their monthly magazine and get all their member benefits from participation in their local units. They pay $55 for the pleasure of the magazine and $10 to $15 unit dues and get much more per dollar from the local, if it and they are active. The non-active locals populated by old timers, that are too old to trailer, and are failing to provide enough rallies and therefore, they can not recuit or keep new younger members. Their old friends keep dieing off and their membership dwindles. Active locals, hold lots of fun rallies and are capable of getting new members, despite the fact that they get nothing from the Region or International level that would have any value to people who are not retired.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Truth

All the postings for the passed 24 hours are true in their remarks,BUT just like ME no one had any ansewer to the problem of how to save the WBCCI.
We need new IDEAS and they are not coming from the old folks that are running the WBCCI, the membership or folks on the forums.
So how do we get new ideas and changes?
With out them may the WBCCI RIP.