Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2016, 05:18 AM   #1
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
Did you not put your numbers on?

I'm definitely not a sticker kind of guy, but I joined the club and received my numbers the day before we made our maiden trip in our new to us AS. I decided to wait until trip was over to do the numbers.

Well, our first trip was to an Airstream only campground, full of veteran ASers and novices alike. It was a great and informative stay. I thought every rig would have red numbers on, but I noticed that only one of about twenty trailers had WBCCI numbers on.

Was that unusual? My numbers are still in the envelope.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
It's a personal choice. Your rig, your choice. Are you the "hey, look at me!" Type, or are you the "anonymous" type? WBCCI would prefer you put them on, but at the end of the day no one can make you if you don't want to. They are not required as part of your membership.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:46 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
My numbers are removable. I put them on for a WBCCI rally, and take them off the rest of the time.

At a rally, especially a big rally, the Airstreams can all start to look alike, and the numbers help other people tell which one is yours. And having heard stories about folks walking into the wrong Airstream and making themselves at home only to find the actual owners in the bed or the shower, the numbers can also help YOU remember which one is yours!
Old 06-30-2016, 09:53 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Toronto , Ontario
I feel like I'd rather mount them on a thin sheet of plexiglass or on a reusable/ removable decal of some sort, for use at rallies. I'd also be more comfortable that way if, heaven forbid, we needed to call an ambulance or something, to make it easier to distinguish in a sea of silver.
stsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Numbers applied-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Some AS only campgrounds take non-members also i.e. no numbers.

Lots of our members mount their numbers on a separate board or sheet of Plexi and display them only at rallies; some only at the front of the trailer.
If you don't like them on the end caps, put them on the front and back windows...easily removable without marking the aluminum when (if) you decide to sell.
If you decide to put them on, be sure you do not get the paper backing wet before you are ready to slide them off the backing. Wet backing equals messed up numbers
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:44 AM   #7
Susan & Karl, Pinckney MI

2005 25' Safari
1979 31' Sovereign
1967 26' Overlander
Pinckney , Michigan
WBCCI Numbers not on

We belong to an Airstream campground, but do not belong to WBCCI, therefore, we do not have numbers on our Airstream.
susgru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:49 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
2012 28' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I want to put my numbers on but we're still trying to decide whether we're going to polish or not and it seems like putting them on and then trying to strip clear coat and polish is probably a bad idea.
ChuckZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Sanford , Florida
Also consider security. Anyone with a WBCCI directory can look up who you are and where you live. Just a consideration.
Tin-kerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #10
RivetingTravels

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 30' International
Richmond , Virginia
Is there a (written or) unwritten rule that the numbers must be red? Red just does not go with our theme/aesthetic.

Sent from the tiny internet in my pocket using Airstream Forums.

WBCCI 22386 | SKP 111234 | Follow Us!
BlogFacebookTwitterInstagram
RivetingTrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:04 PM   #11
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
Red numbers were okay when Airstreams were not clear coated. Put those numbers on you newer Airstream and they will permanently damage the finish after a couple months or years. If you have a propane bottles cover, get two little stick-on hoods and a piece of "Lexan" which is tougher then Plexiglas. Drill two oval holes so you can hook the Lexan over the hooks. Put you numbers on the Lexan and display them then you decide it is appropriate or trade your trailer without losing your brag plaque.
NOAZRK2690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:12 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
AS numbers

I'm president of the Oregon Airstream Unit, with 212 trailer members and we don't have numbers on our trailer, for a variety of reasons. First, my husband doesn't want to damage the surface of our trailer, or have shadow markings should we want to take them off. Two, we aren't "look at me, I'm in the club" people - we're more subtle than that. Three, security is huge for me. Anyone could work out access to a WBCCI directory and know exactly where you are and where your empty home is. The plexiglass with numbers on it for a rally is our preference as well, really like that concept so much - you can find your trailer among others, your friends can find your trailer among others, and it is sort of complying with the spirit of the club. That's just one couple's opinion.
twestover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:58 PM   #13

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I didn't put mine on during the 5 years I was in the club. The local unit members never gave me any grief over that. I did go to a regional rally where a couple of members from another Midwest unit came over to my trailer and told me that next time I attended a regional rally, they expected that they would see numbers on my trailer. I also listened in to a regional officers meeting where they discussed "baldies" and that it was a sign of disrespect to the organization when members didn't display their numbers properly. Obviously in the eyes of the old timers I was a thorn.

I asked my dealer when I bought my trailer whether putting numbers on the trailer would affect trade in if I upgraded in the future. I had plans to upgrade to a Classic on day. He noted it would, due to the shadow the numbers left after being left on a few years. That's pretty much why I didn't want numbers on. I was going to make something temporary but after that regional, I pretty much decided that I'd rather go to the local rallies rather than the bigger gatherings.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:52 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
Ok so I just put my numbers on. Now rethinking it due to security. Issue. How hard to get them off? And are they salvageable?
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native143 View Post
Ok so I just put my numbers on. Now rethinking it due to security. Issue. How hard to get them off? And are they salvageable?
I think the security issue is way overblown. But to each his own. It is very easy to peel them off. And no, they are not salvageable.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Harrisburg , Pennsylvania
Haha, my wife would skin me alive if I put our numbers on her "beautiful airstream".
Absalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:02 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I didn't put mine on during the 5 years I was in the club. The local unit members never gave me any grief over that. I did go to a regional rally where a couple of members from another Midwest unit came over to my trailer and told me that next time I attended a regional rally, they expected that they would see numbers on my trailer. I also listened in to a regional officers meeting where they discussed "baldies" and that it was a sign of disrespect to the organization when members didn't display their numbers properly. Obviously in the eyes of the old timers I was a thorn.

I asked my dealer when I bought my trailer whether putting numbers on the trailer would affect trade in if I upgraded in the future. I had plans to upgrade to a Classic on day. He noted it would, due to the shadow the numbers left after being left on a few years. That's pretty much why I didn't want numbers on. I was going to make something temporary but after that regional, I pretty much decided that I'd rather go to the local rallies rather than the bigger gatherings.

Jack
I love being a "baldie". Had never heard that term. We're going to the Region 10 rally in July and I'll probably get some grief, particularly as the president of a Unit, but that's OK, the Oregon Unit has always been a bit rebellious and pushing for change in the International group. Our past Oregon Unit president, Mona Heath, was just elected 3rd Vice President at International today, meaning she will be president in three years! Things will really get interesting then and I can hardly wait. This is an organization of wonderful people, but moving into the 21st century has not been easy or smooth, but change rarely is. In my opinion, the WBCCI needs to even more accurately reflect the composition and opinions of it's members. It's coming but it is slow going.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:37 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Pleasant Hill , The Golden State
No big red numbers for us either. Only grief we got was on our first caravan and at Swiss Rally when we drove in....they were announcing arrivals and got tweaked, but got over it. Out west we see maybe 1 in 40 AS with numbers. We had numbers on plexiglass in side and rear windows as a courtesy on several caravans.
Reese Tow Beast hitch
Quadrasteer - Autoride
wildwoodrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:41 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAZRK2690 View Post
Put you numbers on the Lexan and display them then you decide it is appropriate or trade your trailer without losing your brag plaque.
"Brag plaque"??????

I don't think belonging to such an elitist controlling organization is something to BRAG about.

Who exactly are they "bragging" to?

The people who belong to it the organization don't care that you aren't another lowly peon.

And, the people that don't WANT to belong to such an organization see such braggadocious people as exactly that...people who have to BRAG about themselves, all the while being completely oblivious to the fact that they are bragging about something most would be ashamed to be associated with in the first place.
RareStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:08 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareStream View Post
"Brag plaque"??????

I don't think belonging to such an elitist controlling organization is something to BRAG about.

Who exactly are they "bragging" to?

The people who belong to it the organization don't care that you aren't another lowly peon.

And, the people that don't WANT to belong to such an organization see such braggadocious people as exactly that...people who have to BRAG about themselves, all the while being completely oblivious to the fact that they are bragging about something most would be ashamed to be associated with in the first place.
While I agree that the WBCCI has a lot of work to do to be an organization that meets the needs of it's members, I'm not clear that it is as bad as all of that! And I also think each unit is very different. Our unit is irreverent, a ton of fun, there's not a blue beret in sight at our rallies (I made a rainbow one for my induction since I was expected to wear a beret), we women (gasp) wear sleeveless blouses, and most of us don't have numbers on our trailers. We're trying hard to work from the inside, up and out. My belief is that the WBCCI can be a CAMPING organization, not one with any religion associated with it or any rules in particular, no dress code, and no specific hierarchy other than one to get tasks done. Yes, we have officers because somebody has to be the one to complain to! Some of the best people I know belong to this Oregon unit but without exception, these people would love to see WBCCI International be a very different organization. We aren't all elitist and controlling - some of us are fighting against that very perception.