Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
December President's Message

I don't know about the rest of you, but the latest Presidents message touts a signup of over 300 for Du Quoin. Does anybody else see this as a concern rather than some sort of victory? With the promise of a $25 savings for signing up before the 1st of January it seems like people are not beating down the door to get in on this.
I have not paid attention to how sign-ups have run in the past but just over 300 seems like a very low number to me.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Kinda related, but sorta not...

I'm "enjoying" my continued subscription to the Blue Beret until the WBCCI takes me off of the mailing list. Did anyone have an issue with the response to the letter to the editor this month?

A person not so different from myself wrote in and made a good point. The response from the editor: does anyone have a response to this?

Pretty sad. It pretty much exemplifies why I chose not to renew my membership in WBCCI.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
I have not paid attention to how sign-ups have run in the past but just over 300 seems like a very low number to me.
300 registrations by the first of December is roughly on track for a 500-trailer International Rally, which is consistent with the decline over the past several years.

I am sticking by my forecast of a thousand-member drop in membership this year on account of Leo's expulsion, all the lawyer letters, the DefendWally fiasco, and the dues increase. It might be more than that.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Winestream, they are trying to get sort of a dialogue going between members. For example, someone may comment in agreement on the subject while others may totally disagree. Asking for replies is the correct thing to do. Perhaps you should reply since you obviously have a strong opinion about this topic. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Since they did not like the responses they got that were all out in the open on the WBCCI forum, they did away with the forum. Now they are asking for written responses directed to the editor, where they can be carefully censored before they may be published and seen by the membership. Makes sense to them. It is interesting that management does not chose to make a response to the person's question.

300 is about 30% lower than they were last year at this point and they had 714 show up at Gillette. If they do not make major changes, I can not see why the downward trend will not continue.

For the 46 officers on their great American Pep talk tour, things still look rosy to them. His closing remark about them having a lot of fun at January meeting tells a lot. (Oh by the way, we might do a little business, but it is likely they will just kick it down the road another 6 months again.)
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Might be their last chance!..Another 6 mths will be more than some can wait. Remember it's not always what one says, but how one says it. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
I don't know about the rest of you, but the latest Presidents message touts a signup of over 300 for Du Quoin. Does anybody else see this as a concern rather than some sort of victory...just over 300 seems like a very low number to me.
Below is a graph of the signups for the fiscally disasterous 2009 rally.

I agree that the current number of signups would indicate a less than 500 attendance level.

One of my main gripes of the executive handling of the explanations for the money losing fiasco was the excuse that gas prices were the main factor of membership failing to attend.

No one asked me why I did not attend.

Gas prices were not a factor at all.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Interesting weasel wording on the number signed up. "Over 300 signed up." I wonder whether that might be something like 301 or 302.

I will not be at DuQuoin which promises to be a humdrum repeat of the four internationals I have attended. I will be at Alumapalooza at the beginning of June for less money, cooler weather, and a lot more fun.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
while I have beat this horse before, The reason I am not going, and didn't go last year after 14 straight is I am not willing to pay a couple hundred bucks for full hookups.

Instead we will again attend the Birthday bash which is more fun. costs less and we get fed a few good meals and some great breakfasts.

Fuel prices can not be blamed for the drop in attendance. Diesel has bee over 2 bucks for close to ten years and $4.50 looked pretty cheap in 2008 on the way to Bozeman. It was down below $3.00 when the disasterous loss of 2009 occurred.

The planning in 2010 was a little more realistic and attendance dropped 200 more, but it did make money.

With this years site in the east one would think it would bring up attendance but that doesn't look like the case.
Maybe it's because they are not providing what we want??
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Special Treasurers Report

Quote:
I don't know about the rest of you, but the latest Presidents message touts a signup of over 300 for Du Quoin. Does anybody else see this as a concern rather than some sort of victory? With the promise of a $25 savings for signing up before the 1st of January it seems like people are not beating down the door to get in on this.
Apparently this situation has come to the attention of WBCCI management, as evidenced by a “special treasurers report” emailed to WBCCI members via Constant Contact. I didn’t see any copyright or confidentiality notices in the email so possibly I can quote one paragraph without receiving a lawyer letter from the WBCCI.

Quote:
. . . the International Rally only has 312 registrations as of today. Our budget is based upon 825 registrations. This number of 312 registrations will STRONGLY impact the financial results of the Rally. The more members registering and attending the Rally will greatly ease this situation. It is up to you our members to sign up. If you have not registered, please do so ASAP. It will also determine the number of early workers we can support. Please sign up now and join us for some good old Airstream fun.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #11
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
I am sticking by my forecast of a thousand-member drop in membership this year on account of Leo's expulsion, all the lawyer letters, the DefendWally fiasco, and the dues increase. It might be more than that.
The membership drop in Region 9 this year is 113 according to the Membership Chairman. That is significant.

The budget for the International Rally was set at 800 attendance. Not a chance. Much money has already been either spent or committed. I would bet on a substantial loss.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
This is considered the Good News.

THE GOOD NEWS is we are more capable of avoiding such losses in the future by instituting appropriate financial controls. Therefore, the budget committee is putting forth a motion at the January IBT, to limit front end costs until a reasonable estimate of the number of attendees can be determined and a reasonable budget prepared. The motion is not to restrict the money spent on the rally; it is to make sure we have the money before expenditures are made.

The fact that they all ready know they are on a path to a loss for this year they are banking on a possible change in the rules that might effect future Internationals.

Those that have been holding their breath can look forward to appropriate financial controls in the future. Maybe

The Birthday Bash reservations are coming in at a rate close to that of Christmas cards. Last year had a limit and the last site was auctioned off for $1,000.00 and donated to charity. Yes a bit more than the cost of the International but a lot more for the money, even after the 2,500+ mile trip of that expensive fuel.

Look at the number of long time International attendees that have committed to the Bash and or Alumapalooza. Will they ever get the message or just spend down that last million bucks as a great ride off into the sunset?

I'll be a second timer at the Birthday Bash. Hope to see you there.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
The membership drop in Region 9 this year is 113 according to the Membership Chairman. That is significant.
Do you know the Region 9 membership as of 2010? I am guessing around 550 members, which would make that a 20% decrease. I have been hearing unofficial numbers of 20-30% losses elsewhere, so that figure is consistent with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
The budget for the International Rally was set at 800 attendance. Not a chance. Much money has already been either spent or committed. I would bet on a substantial loss.
The treasurer seems to be implying that. As has been said earlier in this thread, 312 registrations as of early December translates to about 500 attendees next June. Of course, that is based on the usual 4-5% per year membership loss. If WBCCI membership declines 20-30% this year, that would also be reflected in attendance at the International.

The trouble is, many of the costs don't scale with attendance. You can't rent half an auditorium. Either you rent it or you don't, and renting it is expensive. Below a certain attendance level it simply becomes uneconomic to put on an International in the WBCCI tradition.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #14
Contributing Member

The profit from last year's international came largely from the early workers being put to work painting horse stalls and similar tasks for the fairgrounds in return for credit toward expenses. At least, something was gained from the otherwise unneeded host of early workers at a full-hookup venue.

I think a lot of the decrease is due to a large number of ex-early workers that will not come because they are no longer getting most of a month of free parking that is paid by those who can only come for a week or less.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

I’m personally not worried, based on the past, I have complete faith in the ability of the IBT/EC7 to form a committee to study this problem too along with many others and we will all be singing around the WBCCI campfire together with cash in the bank, over a 1000 Airstreams with full hookups at each and every International rally while the rally makes a profit of 10% as we all read over our new Constitution and By-Laws.

You go IBT/EC7, you show the naysayers’ what you got planned for the rebuilding of the WBCCI, the International Rally, young families, budget problems, IBT/EC7 members getting mileage and lifetime membership thank you’s, etc…I’ve paid my dues for the year, did so back in the summer, now just waiting for the good times to roll.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I am afraid that with reasonably low gasoline prices and a centralized location, this low turnout is quite an ominous sign indeed. Couple that with the activities of the past year (kicking out Leo, the forums fumble) and it really looks like a continuation of more BAD NEWS for the club.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Spring Hill , Florida
10,000 comics out of work, rideair, and you want to make funny. You should be a ghost writer for the Treasurer. I'm still laughing at his 2011 International Rally budget based on 825 units. Oh, wait, it's not laughter -- it's screaming with shock. Yeah, that's the ticket - - shock. How blind are these people? I do not like to be negative about WBCCI, preferring to stay positive about all the good things WBCCI has to offer like tons of rallies and lots of caravans. But, when I got the Treasurer's report I was shocked at the unrealistic budget. After 713 this year in a cool place like Gillette, declining membership, increased competition, etc., how can they expect 825 next year in the middle of nowhere - DuQuoin, IL? I guess they need some statistics courses where one learns to predict the future from past results. I'm still debating between "unrealistic" and "irresponsible". ( Sigh !! )
mapley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #18
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote from the Tres Report question.

"The more members registering and attending the Rally will greatly ease this situation. It is up to you our members to sign up. If you have not registered, please do so ASAP. It will also determine the number of early workers we can support."

May be a dumb question but what kind of support is needed for the early workers? Are they like paid staff?
I am a member of WBCCI but have never been to International and do not plan on going this year.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 12-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHeadsRus View Post
"The more members registering and attending the Rally will greatly ease this situation. It is up to you our members to sign up. If you have not registered, please do so ASAP. It will also determine the number of early workers we can support."

May be a dumb question but what kind of support is needed for the early workers? Are they like paid staff?
I am a member of WBCCI but have never been to International and do not plan on going this year.
Thanks,
Joe
If there are enough members signed up the early worker get mints on their pillows each am.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
As I understand it, the campsites at the rally cost the club $15.00. The rally lasts seven days if you are not an early worker. I have been told, but can't confirm . that there is a charge for 13 days camping built into the rally fee.. If correct this would pay for the early workers camping,
This would make sense since the full hook up rallies cost $200. + more than when 3 amp was available, but the actual seven day camping cost would be only $ 105..
In addition they get Pancakes every morning and other perks. Some early attendees also get fancy meals (presidents appreciation dinner etc) at our expense.
We, on the other hand pay $70 a day and don't even get a snack.

Howie, see you at the bash
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote