Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2021, 06:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
PERRY , UT
Courtesy Parking??

I am new to all this, both having a trailer and the Club, just signed up yesterday.

I have questions about the Courtesy Parking thing. Am considering saying yes, but trying to understand what I should or could offer, and what to expect:
  • I do have some room, but probably not ideal, not real level. And the best parking place could vary depending on how long the trailer is and what I might have going on. Is this a problem?
  • The view from here can be nice, but its not a campground, just parking on a gravel driveway.
  • I can't see having more than one RV at a time. Is this a problem?
  • Do people make reservations? Or how is this done?
  • Am not sure what, if any hookups I could offer. I have 15 amp power and may add something more, but have not done that yet. We have no close neighbors and would not normally mind a generator running. And we have water of course, but no place to dump. What is typical or expected?
  • What has the experience of others been doing this?
  • How often do you get "guests"?
  • Do you socialize or make friends with the folks or do they just pass through? What is normal or expected? We don't mind meeting people, but depending on what we have going on would not want to be expected to be hosts or anything.
  • Any rules I could or should have?
  • What have been the experiences of others, either offering or using?
  • Any problems that I have not thought of?

Advice and comments appreciated.
alligatorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:56 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Noblesville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorob View Post
I am new to all this, both having a trailer and the Club, just signed up yesterday.

I have questions about the Courtesy Parking thing. Am considering saying yes, but trying to understand what I should or could offer, and what to expect:
  • I do have some room, but probably not ideal, not real level. And the best parking place could vary depending on how long the trailer is and what I might have going on. Is this a problem?
  • The view from here can be nice, but its not a campground, just parking on a gravel driveway.
  • I can't see having more than one RV at a time. Is this a problem?
  • Do people make reservations? Or how is this done?
  • Am not sure what, if any hookups I could offer. I have 15 amp power and may add something more, but have not done that yet. We have no close neighbors and would not normally mind a generator running. And we have water of course, but no place to dump. What is typical or expected?
  • What has the experience of others been doing this?
  • How often do you get "guests"?
  • Do you socialize or make friends with the folks or do they just pass through? What is normal or expected? We don't mind meeting people, but depending on what we have going on would not want to be expected to be hosts or anything.
  • Any rules I could or should have?
  • What have been the experiences of others, either offering or using?
  • Any problems that I have not thought of?

Advice and comments appreciated.
We've been Courtesy Parking for 4 years and have had 3 guests. However, I'm in indiana. Utah might be more desirable. We are also a Harvest Host and Boondockers Welcome host. We have 2-3 guests every night. We get many Airstreamers, but they come thru the HH and BDW programs. Generally, everyone is pleasant...most older...some full timers. I would recommend you do this and figure out a way to run at least a 20 amp service to the guest.
vanderwielen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
As you expand your knowledge base on this forum, you’ll have a better understanding of the benefits and pitfalls of guest parking. I don’t want to be a wet blanket, but you can always tick that box later when you have a higher comfort level.
Like you, we like to be a good neighbor, but don’t have a suitable space. On the road, we would only “impose” when conventional choices weren’t available. So, I can’t answer about the actual experience.
South of the border, the definition of “gringo” is someone who wants to park his $200k motor home on your property for free. Whatever you decide, always remember that it IS your property, and you are entitled, even responsible, to be in charge enough to avoid bad experiences with the gringoes.
Welcome to the Airstream world!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
All courtesy parking is is you offering a space for a travelers rig and trailer overnight. When they call tell them what you have and they will stay or not.

All you have to offer is the space. A water or electrical hook up or anything else including a cup of coffee is purely your choice.

We have a separate fenced yard with water and elec. we have offered as courtesy parking several years. No takers but then we are in the Mojave Desert. So if you are ever passing by and need a spot. We have you covered.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We've offered courtesy parking both through WBCCI & AirForums for the past 7 years. We've had a couple of folks visit each year.

We are in the mountains above Denver, so only can accommodate late Spring through Fall, not during the snowy or wet months as trailers park off pavement.

We offer water & 15 amp elec., & use of our barb-b-que. No black dumping - but mostly folks are just passing through for one or two nights so it's no problem. We've had a several stay multiple days & a couple return multiple times.

We usually great them when they arrive so they know where to park, then play it by ear - some folks really just want a place to park overnight, others we will share a morning coffee, happy hour or dessert with, - but it really is whatever you want it to be.

They usually call/contact with a couple days (or more) notice and we talk to them to explain what we can offer. We have declined once or twice due to our travels or other plans - we prefer not to have first-time visitors when we aren't home.

I have also used courtesy parking when traveling - especially when traveling alone - visited Airstream friends met online on my way to somewhere rather than stay in a campground alone.

We've met some great people both being a courtesy host & being a courtesy guest - it's awsome!!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
One important thing to check is your local ordnance to make sure it's OK. Where I live you're not allowed to have anyone stay overnight in an RV on your property, not even you on your own property.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
You are way too worried about Courtesy parking. Some folks are dry camp, some have water/electric, which is what we have. A few might have sewer or a dump but not many.
We have had people call a few days ahead, sometimes we are not able to take them as we are away ourselves. We have had some call within half an hour of needing a stop, that has been fine. You can so yes or no. They are only parking with you. We have had some call 8 months ahead and I have had to tell them I can not commit at this time, to call a few days ahead. We have used courtesy parking too. Usually a day or two ahead of need. Met great people both staying with us and us staying with others. If you have a place in your drive, it is appreciated by someone that may need a spot for the night. Don't feel you have to provide utilities, but if you can that is helpful.
If you can provide a spot to park, put your name on the list. You may get someone tired and needing a place to rest. You may meet some other wonderful people. That's what it is about.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:41 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
PERRY , UT
Thanks for all the input, and I have gone ahead and signed up for it. We'll see what happens!
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
You are way too worried about Courtesy parking.
You are probably right, thanks for your comments.
alligatorob is offline   Reply With Quote