Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2009, 07:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I've never posted about anything pertaining to WBCCI (that I can recall), but I'll pipe in here with a general viewpoint from one outsider.

I just don't get the point of WBCCI, beyond the fact that it's a quaint relic tied to the history of the company, and made for some charming black and white photos taken from blimps.
(Oof, too harsh!)

- Now, maybe that's because I didn't grow up with family members involved with WBCCI. I didn't have an uncle who always donned a beret, or a grandmother who pulled into Red Square in her Ambassador.

- Maybe it's because I vastly prefer the experience of finding my trailer in a quiet, wooded campground instead of among a thousand others in a parking lot (as it was at International, which I visited for an afternoon.)

- Or maybe it's because I see too many wonderful alternatives out there; Alumapaloozas, Balloon Fiestas, Trailer Jams and Forum Rallies! When you have all that -- not to mention a virtual get together 24 hours a day right here on the forums -- who the hell needs annual dues, letters of grievance, bloodless coups and secret ballots??

What, exactly, am I missing out on!?

If you're still reading, here's my lone WBCCI rally experience really quick:
I live in Chicago, but signed up to attend the Balloon Fiesta with the Four Corners Unit in 2008. I wasn't asked for a membership number, past dues, or shown the secret handshake. I simply paid my campground fee, showed up, and made a couple new friends. If I'd been asked to pitch in for t-shirts, bring food, etc. I'd have been thrilled to pitch in.

So please explain why all this other nonsense is necessary. If my experience was the exception rather than the rule, explain why it's the exception. How are national officers, ballots, subchapters and constitutions all critical for us to have a fun weekend in Albuquerque with other Airstreams?

At the end of the day, if not being part of this organization means I can't put red stickers on my trailer, well, I doubt anybody will notice. Because we'll just be a tiny, silver speck on the horizon, way out in the wilderness... and enjoying it the whole time.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post
I've never posted about anything pertaining to WBCCI (that I can recall), but I'll pipe in here with a general viewpoint from one outsider.

I just don't get the point of WBCCI, beyond the fact that it's a quaint relic tied to the history of the company, and made for some charming black and white photos taken from blimps.
(Oof, too harsh!)

- Now, maybe that's because I didn't grow up with family members involved with WBCCI. I didn't have an uncle who always donned a beret, or a grandmother who pulled into Red Square in her Ambassador.

- Maybe it's because I vastly prefer the experience of finding my trailer in a quiet, wooded campground instead of among a thousand others in a parking lot (as it was at International, which I visited for an afternoon.)

- Or maybe it's because I see too many wonderful alternatives out there; Alumapaloozas, Balloon Fiestas, Trailer Jams and Forum Rallies! When you have all that -- not to mention a virtual get together 24 hours a day right here on the forums -- who the hell needs annual dues, letters of grievance, bloodless coups and secret ballots??

What, exactly, am I missing out on!?

If you're still reading, here's my lone WBCCI rally experience really quick:
I live in Chicago, but signed up to attend the Balloon Fiesta with the Four Corners Unit in 2008. I wasn't asked for a membership number, past dues, or shown the secret handshake. I simply paid my campground fee, showed up, and made a couple new friends. If I'd been asked to pitch in for t-shirts, bring food, etc. I'd have been thrilled to pitch in.

So please explain why all this other nonsense is necessary. If my experience was the exception rather than the rule, explain why it's the exception. How are national officers, ballots, subchapters and constitutions all critical for us to have a fun weekend in Albuquerque with other Airstreams?

At the end of the day, if not being part of this organization means I can't put red stickers on my trailer, well, I doubt anybody will notice. Because we'll just be a tiny, silver speck on the horizon, way out in the wilderness... and enjoying it the whole time.
Your one WBCCI experience was with one of those "progressive units."

The FCU is a very informal unit that puts friendships and fun over formality. As you found out.

Every unit has it's own personality. Some enjoy being relaxed and others love their formality. To anyone considering joining the WBCCI I suggest you go camp with the units around you and join the one that fits you.

The purpose of joining a unit is so you'll camp more often. either with the group and with the friends who you meet there.

We camp with our unit 2-3 times a year and probably another 4 to 6 times we'll boondock with either unit members, Airforums folks and often both at the same time.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:03 AM   #23
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT View Post
I still can't find a reason for anyone to not try their local unit(s) to see if there's a match to be made -- something that will get you out in your Airstream more often, gaining new local friends with a common interest, etc...

All of that other negative fictional crap -- yeah, that's all it is people making @#%# up...

Progressive Unit -- it's pretty easy to figure out club wide which units are progressive and which ones aren't.

Leave your meeting completely open, make it coincide with the $6K President's Appreciation Dinner in Gillette and you'll have your answers. Those Unit Prez' that believe they're 'owed a dinner' won't come. IBT members won't come, International Past Presidents won't come. Anyone on that $125K dole won't come.

Those that believe in the status quo want their free meal(s), want to put on their suit and ties, ladies gowns, etc..

Compound that with an $81K deficit budget immediately following a $44K operational loss, compounded by a $40K - $60K International loss will squarely peg any and ALL of those attendees as anything but progressive.

Anything can be done prior electronically, but a face to face is prime time for creating a full fledged agenda and finalizing a plan of action.

__
Just one issue Leo... There is no way I would ever spend the effort to attend another International. I took two weeks off, spent thousands on gas, food, and Michael D's t- shirts for a rather lack luster experience. I will not repeat that again. Well, except spending money on Michael D's t-shirts, I love those. Once was enough for me. There is no way I am going to contribute anything to the presidents dinner or the presidents anything by paying that hefty rally fee. Some of us are planning our own International of sorts. We are calling it The Wally Byam Birthday Bash. Perhaps the IBT will send someone to us to see how some of the progressive units want it done. I keep hearing "make it what you want it" or "you only get out of it what you put into it" Well we are taking that to heart.

I think Paul is really onto something with this idea. I support him 100% on this(actually 110%, I am always way too serious about the club and everything club related).
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:38 AM   #24
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
One more comment... Brad you mentioned the Vintage Trailer Jam and Alumapolusa. Both of those were commercial ventures. Making a profit is incentive for you to have a good time. Just keep that in mind as you judge a rally.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:06 AM   #25
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
right, good, well intended, but not me. I disobeyed the advice of at least six unit members and went. I am still apologizing to them for not following their advice. International is for other not me, I will not lend any support to that event again. If I could I would with hold the amount of my dues that goes to supporting that budget.

Leo I find it odd that as many times they have crapped on you that you are still so supportive of the event.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #26
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
"They" are wise and "They" were right.

903 trailer is not 1000. it is only 90.3% of 1000. And not all were there at the same time. Not all were occupied by their owners either. Some were spotted there for VIP's to use. Some were spotted for VIPs that never even came. How many trailers were at the 1973 International? How about 1983? Seeing those numbers next to 1993 and 2003 might be an interesting graph to behold.

Glad you like International. I added it all up. $2458 and some change. Was it worth it? NO. Would I ever do it again? NO. I sure hope you succeed at what you are fighting for. I doubt you will, but good luck to you none the less.

Good luck with your rally. I bet it will be a blast.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #27
Tech Source

2006 22' International CCD
Pleasant Shade , Tennessee
"Progressive"...........na, this has turned into regressive. To progress you would need to only look at the past to learn from, not to dwell on. I would make only one more suggestion on this "Progressive" topic. One thing I have not seen or heard of ANY unit doing is a constructive survey. Using technology you can get a general survey from both members and non-members as to what direction an orginization should take. You gather and act on this information and not the needs or feelings of a select few, this leads to progress in shaping the 'ideal' club. Key points is objective and clearly defined questions. This presented in a "OPEN PROGRESSIVE" meeting to all who wanted to attend, such as a 'Web Conferance' might lead to some positve resultes.

Just an idea

Michael
mdyeargin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
If you don't like the circus you just stay out of the big tent, and make your own fun. It's way too easy to do...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
"They" are wise and "They" were right.
I added it all up. $2458 and some change. Was it worth it? NO.
Leo, I agree... the International, in concept is a great event... but as Frank points out, at $2500... it's not worth making your own fun.

Your Pocono event sounds like a great one... Our Wally Byam Birthday Bash will be too... Lot's of great events.

So why does the International have to be so lacking? ...and at the same time so expensive... and at the same time a big money loser?

To me, this points to an event where all the money (and more) is being spent in the wrong places.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:05 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Well, based on the derailment (in less than 25 post), I can see this thread will be going no where fast and people wonder why I wanted to keep it to a small group behind closed doors. I like to offer up an idea to help save the club to no more than one a year, with that, I will place this idea on the shelf and wait until next year to come up with another one. By that time, the WBCCI (a club of 6000) will have lost around 10% of its membership and burned through another 80K plus in money.

Once again I’ll restate,

“This would not be a meeting for everyone to get up and restate everything that has already been said in the past. If everyone wants a “free-for-all” that’s fine, but a doubt anything real will come from it.”

“We the members of the WBCCI need to get control of our leadership one-way shape or form.”

“I have many things that can fill my time on this earth, I just would hate to see a club that has been so good to me and my family (we are only 45yrs, with an 8 yrs daughter) collapse due to the short sightedness and the unwillingness of the few in power to make the needed changes because of their own greed and lack of leadership.”

“I’d just love to see all the other people that say they would not join the WBCCI because “Bla-Bla-Bla” also have the chance to be part of what I think could be a truly “great club” and not just a “few great units”. But, this club will not be here long if changes are not made soon.”

If we the members of the WBCCI don’t soon as a “group” get control of our leadership, there’s a good chance the “leadership group” will take us so far down this road it will be almost impossible to recover.

Hope to see everyone at Myrtle Beach, SC.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:16 AM   #30
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Paul, lets have a mini meeting at Myrtle Beach, SC and see how it goes

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:19 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
The International is geared to an older and more formal crowd -- no doubt about that, and that dynamic needs to change
Correct, why can't the IBT understand this??

Quote:
Trying to showcase what has always been the International Rally and now instead hawking it is a convention is a huge mistake
Correct again... plus I'll add that holding the event at a convention facility adds immensely to the cost basis.

Quote:
Granted there's not a whole lot of fun the way they structure this now, but my guess is that there used to be a lot more fun
I'm guessing that you are guessing right... plus I'm also guessing that "more fun" cost a lot less.

Quote:
That's not the club's fault -- that's the individual saying, in advance, that it's going to cost me $$$ a day, just to rush out there and back, and I'm willing to do that. Personal choice, three dollar signs instead of two.
Sure is the clubs fault... they are putting on the event. It's not necessarily about $$$ per day, it's what you get for those dollars. My wife an I haul ourselves and 4 of our kids out to the East Coast twice a season because of the fun we have.

Quote:
You go when it's in our region, adjoining region, or maybe you have no boundaries. Somebody could come all the way out to either of our events from the WI area, their travel costing them thousands, and they might not have a great time either, and swear both of our events off for good.
Leo, we may come to your Pocono event (that would make three trips east next season)

Quote:
Personal experiences, personal choices, personal results, MAKE YOUR OWN FUN if all else fails...
In my world I don't plan on paying someone $600 so I can MAKE MY OWN FUN. We did that in Madison and don't plan to do it again.

Quote:
I can see going to any international as THE place to meet WBCCI members from anywhere and everywhere on an annual basis
Right...it is really that simple, why is this not what it is now?
Old 11-28-2009, 05:33 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
“We the members of the WBCCI need to get control of our leadership one-way shape or form.”
Paul, there are only two ways to get control of the leadership...

1.) Withhold our money

2.) Display such a ground swell of dissatisfaction that they are shamed into relinquishing control.

Beyond that, they have such autonomous control that, like they do on on the "Official forum", they will just get rid of anyone that disagrees with them.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:58 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Keep the insurgency alive!

Steve,

Good post. I concur.

And Leo, per this comment -

Quote:
- you simply can't say it's a waste of time to spend the mileage and hours. That's not the club's fault -- that's the individual saying, in advance, that it's going to cost me $$$ a day, just to rush out there and back, and I'm willing to do that. Personal choice, three dollar signs instead of two.
you fly out solo - without trailer in tow - not quite the same my friend.

It's like boot camp.... we're gonna have to tear the WBCCI all the way down in order to rebuild it.

And a closed door meeting won't work either.. it'll take a successful insurgency to win it - and beating the counter insurgents at their own game.

my two cents - I'm with the WDCU and local only here fellas and gals. That's where it's all worth it. When the club folds, which it will, there will still be the friends we all have made in the journey.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:47 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Gainesville , Georgia
I'm an outsider here...new AS owner and former potential WBCCI member.

It was posted just one or two above me...

DON't GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!!!

This is the final and greatest equilibrator. Form all the "progressive" caucuses you want...they still got your money. And, like our gubbament, they could care less what you think.

Just my $0.02.

Vote with your wallet.

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4x4 Crew Cab, 7.3L PSD

Air #41001
big_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #35
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Paul, I want to be a part of the solution. If it takes de winterizing and coming to Myrtle Beach I am "willin"
Another possibility is a town meeting via computer. A virtual town meeting. Bet Skype could be used for this feat. Maybe a draft of the issues and concerns could be sent out the Unit Presidents. They can in turn circulate that to the members so people are all aware of what is going on and what needs to be discussed. If the Unit President does not send it on to the members you will have a clear indication of who is "re" or "pro"- gressive. To be Devil's Advocate, if only 1000 of the current 6000 have serious concern as to these problems, then going any further is futile. A club wide survey would help a great deal in understanding where exactly the members as a whole stand.

At our Installation I met the man who will carry the IBT torch in two years(maybe it is three). Unfortunately I did not know it at the time but he was not there out of his kind heart or desire to meet new friends. Instead he was there(fees and milage paid) to promote the International. I cornered him and bent his ear a bit. One of the things I suggested to him was that instead having three formal cocktail parties for people who can easily buy their own booze and cheese, he forego one and use those funds to rent a moon bounce, a pony, a clown, just something for the young kids to enjoy. He acted as if he was listening to what I was saying, but did not hear a word I said. His response was "we have an awesome kids activities director" I pointed to a large group of kids playing together (Paul's daughter, both of mine, and a half dozen others) getting ready to play hide and seek. I pointed at them and told him "That right there is the future of this club. If they do not enjoy themselves their parents will stop coming. Without their parents, it will just be a retirement club that will see no future at all." I am not sure he understood or heard anything I was saying. He is the present of our club. I will be very interested to see how his International is handled.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:06 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
my two cents - I'm with the WDCU and local only here fellas and gals. That's where it's all worth it. When the club folds, which it will, there will still be the friends we all have made in the journey.

Rob
Substitute El Camino Real Unit for WDCU, and that's just where I am. I will be President of our great unit next year.

I find this thread very interesting. The way I see what is going on? I see WBCCI collapsing under it's own weight. If that happens, so be it.

What will be left? Units like ours that have Rallys, not luncheons at Denny's. Units that have loads of good times without traveling thousands of miles and spending thousands of dollars to do it.

How will those units be connected to one another? It will happen. People from those types of units will stay in touch. They will meet up with one another as they do now.

It is truly the friends we meet along the way. Great friends.

It's already happening folks. Some see it, some don't.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:13 AM   #37
Rivet Master

How about some ideas??

Ok,

Let’s try it this way. I think we all know the problems with the WBCCI and the International rally along with the spending spree and mismanagement of funds by the EC7 and IBT. Know the info, no need to re-hash.

The question is this:

“What can be done to make the EC7 and IBT change the leadership path they are currently going down?”

As individual members we can try emails and not re-upping our membership (takes dollars away and membership numbers) all of which “HAS NOT WORKED”.

So, what are some ideas that “Will Make” the leadership fix this club?
Old 11-28-2009, 12:14 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Won't be joining anytime soon.

I am a newby but would like to share my perspective on a club that currently does not appeal to me. I do agree with Leo when he speaks of BASICS.

From what I have read, this club sounds much like many of the ailing service/fraternal clubs out there like the Elks, Lions, Moose and the VFW. At one time, these were popular clubs with a great history behind them. Time changes and clubs that don't start to die.

In social setting there are two issues that I will avoid at all cost and that is the discussion of religion and politics. Why should I join a group that encourages uniforms in politically correct colors, actually hailing a leader and activities that are heavy on Christian beliefs. This is not for me.

On the other hand, a rally of progressive types would be up my alley. I will continue to watch from a distance. I don't mind sharing some of my money to assist the local group but do not relish sending it up the line so people can eat for free, wear uniforms in red, white and blue with funny hats.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
In social setting there are two issues that I will avoid at all cost and that is the discussion of religion and politics. Why should I join a group that encourages uniforms in politically correct colors, actually hailing a leader and activities that are heavy on Christian beliefs. This is not for me.
In case you missed the current definition of "Politically Correct" this is this years winner of a contest to define it. It does seam to fit waht we are discussing.

Specifically, there is an annual contest at Texas A&M University calling for the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term

This year's term was
"Political Correctness."
The winner wrote:

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:05 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Leo, Good Idea, but How?

Leo,

I like your idea of:

"SUSPEND ALL International Officers financial reimbursements until such time as the club is both growing and running profitably again"

But the question is "How?" can we do this when they are the very ones who decides "how much they should get".

Is there a "WBCCI Constitutional", "Blue Book", "RNR" or legal way that a group of members can do this according to the "WBCCI Constitution" or under the non-profit law and/or Ohio State law?

When I was a Unit Prez, I knew the WBCCI Constitution up/down/sideways/etc.. and I never saw a way of doing this in either the Blue Book or the Constitution. But, I don't claim to be the sharpest tool either.

So, How do we do it?

Tags
greg gibson, vintage-airstream.com