Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #101
Rivet Master

Only time will tell If this is the right way to get the attention of the IBT/EC7 and to have them change the spending ways with the money of the WBCCI. Some others are going about getting control of the IBT by trying to make changes to the WBCCI Constitution via the amendment process.

I think there is a great opportunity for both efforts to work together.

I currently have someone working on the short concise wording that will be needed as part of the petition and what we are asking of the IBT/EC7 to change about the spending.

Both efforts will require many members to help get the word out.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Paul, You have My support and Kimbers as well. Point me in a direction and tell me what to do....
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Paul

I would like to amend my suggestion of randomly contacting WBCCI members and suggest that a questionnaire be sent out to all unit Officers asking if they are in support of questioning the IBTs current expenditure practices. By addressing All Officers we should get an indication if additional efforts are warranted.

This could server as an indication of the pulse of the club and hopefully bring out some influential supporters.

I am prepared to type e mail addresses to either group.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:32 PM   #104
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Think this thing through guys—to rejuvenate the WBCCI you might have to do deficit spending. Be careful of unintended consequences. A balanced budget can mean a lot of different things. Is that reserve fund earning money and is it interest they are spending, or principal? Nonprofits have certain IRS limits on retained capital unless it's an endowment—maybe these reserves should be shifted to an endowment where they can't be drawn on to the same extent. Is there an endowment fund and are they spending that? That might be illegal depending on how much they spend. Are all financial documents available to members and has anyone analyzed them? Does the leadership have annual or biannual audits done? If so, are they available? Do you have a CPA among you?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Gene,

True - but then the question becomes - spend on what? Travel expenses to sell members on the International is not one of those. If 1000 people attend International this year AND we could knock that 125K off the price each member pays could knock $100 off the price each of us has to pay to attend that rally - that could easily push more to attend and so on. Knocking off $100 puts it in a more comfortable price range for many. That is just one example I think.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #106
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
and even better would be getting some of that $100 savings to come back to the units to make their experience better.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #107
Certifiable

. , .
Talking Where do I sign?

Count me in!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Think this thing through guys—to rejuvenate the WBCCI you might have to do deficit spending. Be careful of unintended consequences. A balanced budget can mean a lot of different things. Is that reserve fund earning money and is it interest they are spending, or principal? Nonprofits have certain IRS limits on retained capital unless it's an endowment—maybe these reserves should be shifted to an endowment where they can't be drawn on to the same extent. Is there an endowment fund and are they spending that? That might be illegal depending on how much they spend. Are all financial documents available to members and has anyone analyzed them? Does the leadership have annual or biannual audits done? If so, are they available? Do you have a CPA among you?

Gene
Gene,

Financial statements and budgets are available for the members. Just ask Cindy Reed, I did.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
Gene,

True - but then the question becomes - spend on what? Travel expenses to sell members on the International is not one of those. If 1000 people attend International this year AND we could knock that 125K off the price each member pays could knock $100 off the price each of us has to pay to attend that rally - that could easily push more to attend and so on. Knocking off $100 puts it in a more comfortable price range for many. That is just one example I think.
Tim,

The $125K comes from the WBCCI operating budget, funded by the annual dues. Eliminating the travel cost would have no effect on the cost of the International Rally.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 12-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #110
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
My point is all those things have to be analyzed to come up with what's going on, and what's the best way to run the financial side of an organization. I see clearly the travel expenses issue energizes people, but it's most likely one part of financial mismanagement. Financial matters are boring to most people and travel money is not—it gets them angry. Good to use the travel $ thing to point to the overall mismanagement, but mismanagement is the issue. A copy of an audit may have some very interesting things in it. Any halfway responsible nonprofit has periodic audits done by an independent accounting firm—if they don't, another ex. of mismanagement; if its good audit, you may learn more bad stuff.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #111
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Is the only issue to be proposed at this point is the travel expenses?

I thought there were more issues that needed to be addressed than that.

Can we start a list of issues?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #112
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Are there any volunteers that could enter the WBCCI blue book Emails into an Excel file?

If so I have mail servers that I can use to send them out.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #113
Rivet Master

All in time

HowieE,
That was my thought, contact everyone in a leadership roll of a unit, Prez, 1stVP, 2ndVP and the “TREASURE” who understands the $$$ and cents of the matter.

If someone can provide all the email and/or address (via snail mail) of the unit leaderships, that to me that would be a great help. I currently have someone working on the “wording” of the petition and what should be required by the IBT/EC7. I hope to have that within a few days/week (just asked them last night for the help). After getting that back, I will post it for everyone to see and make comments.

Atobols, (Jason & Andrea)
Thanks so much for finding those sites! I also heard that “Google Docs” (which I know nothing about) offers a free service that will also input all the data into a spreadsheet. Since I don’t know what you found, just relaying a message told to me about the service.
Since all I can do is create a website on “yahoo.com”, it would be a good idea for you to “PM” Buttercup because they have the brains that I don’t about this online stuff. The two of you are welcome to workout what you guys/gals think is best.

I’m going to find out the cost to have a “postcard” size mailer done and sent out to the Unit Leadership. Email will be great to save a few dollars, but my guess not all unit leaders have email. It appears the cost for postage is about 0.28 cents, so for around $300.00 bucks I can have the 1000 cards printed and mailed or about $180.00 for 500.
If I get the chance to go by the post office this week, I’ll ask about bulk mailing, 2nd or 3rd class mail to save a few dollars. I also want to check on the cost of a return postage setup.

I heard tonight the WBCCI has about $790,000 in the bank, from that you take away the $80K over budget this year + the $60K loss on Madison = $160K, subtract that from the $790K= $650K. (these number are a guess) "NO ONE" in there right mind would burn through "20%" of their holdings in one year like that!

I fully understand, we will not get 1000+ to sign over night, this could take up to a year, but we have got to start somewhere. After we get the wording, it will be important for "EVERYONE" who cares, to take a copy of the petition whenever they go to a rally and ask memebers to sign it!!

We will win, we will be the turtle, not the hare.

Slow and Steady,

Old 12-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Howie,

I think that information is on line at the WBCCI site, the units and officers, inc. tel #s.

Kate
Old 12-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #115
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
I’m going to find out the cost to have a “postcard” size mailer done and sent out to the Unit Leadership. Email will be great to save a few dollars, but my guess not all unit leaders have email. It appears the cost for postage is about 0.28 cents, so for around $300.00 bucks I can have the 1000 cards printed and mailed or about $180.00 for 500.
If I get the chance to go by the post office this week, I’ll ask about bulk mailing, 2nd or 3rd class mail to save a few dollars. I also want to check on the cost of a return postage setup.
Paul, it's not cost effective at all, I do a fair amout of retail marketing snail mail is not the way to try this IMO.

Moreover, your not going to get 1,000 out of a 1,000, most direct mail experts will be happy with a 5% return.

(bulk mail will not work well unless the people are within nearby zip codes, also bluk mail is viewed as junk mail)

You need email to send 6,000 at a time, if unit leaders don't have email then use mail for those few.

How about asking Andy R for our own forum?

Old 12-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
My point is all those things have to be analyzed to come up with what's going on, and what's the best way to run the financial side of an organization. I see clearly the travel expenses issue energizes people, but it's most likely one part of financial mismanagement. Financial matters are boring to most people and travel money is not—it gets them angry. Good to use the travel $ thing to point to the overall mismanagement, but mismanagement is the issue. A copy of an audit may have some very interesting things in it. Any halfway responsible nonprofit has periodic audits done by an independent accounting firm—if they don't, another ex. of mismanagement; if its good audit, you may learn more bad stuff.

Gene
Gene,

Unlike others, my professional career has taught me that financial information is to be confidential. I am hesitant to discuss the details of WBCCI finances on a public forum such as this.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 12-01-2009, 09:53 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I am thinking LI Pets (BOB) is correct. You are definitely not going to get 1000 signatures out of a 1000 cards sent .A portion of the people who are sent cards are ON THE TAKE of that alledged 125K in travel expenses and are definitely not going to cut their own throat.
WAKE UP AMERICA!
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
IMHO:

Trying to contact all members to find the 1000 is not a very productive 1st step.

Contacting the leaders of the individual units to take a pulse would give a sense of what has to take place to get enough people on board to effect change.

We may "think" there are thousands who feel the same way about the WBCCI but in truth no one knows if there is enough upset members to force a change in by-laws or even get a partition off the ground.

The 1st step in determining what kind of support is behind the movement.

The leaders of the progressive units need to get on a conference call or some other means to discuss the best method of how and who to contact at the "other" units. A follow up conference call to tally up what they collectively found out, decide the next step, recommendations what format is to be used to communicate to the rest of us going forward and call for volunteers to assist if there is a good chance of success.

Also you can bet this will stir up the pot and the current lords of the WBCCI will know there is a serious move underfoot and start trying to find ways to counter the effort.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:11 AM   #119
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I think Garry has made a very good point. I am very doubtful you will get 1000 signers even if you contact all 6000 members.

I also think you might not find the support within your own unit Paul. Three of the points on Robs list were requested to be brought before the Unit for consideration at the business meeting during Installation. That was a formal request made by our past president read aloud to the unit by me. Three totally different motions were sent out for review in the last news letter. Not sure where the motions went that were requested in writing and in person.

Just because we are incensed by what is going on, not everyone is. Many current presidents will not want to cause waves while they hold the seat. Sorry to shed negative feelings about this plan, I just want to be realistic about the support base. Yes, the four or five WDCU members talking on this thread are all for the changes, not everyone will be on board. You do realize Paul our own president is going to Gillette this summer. She is actually very excited to be going. Thinks that her presence representing the WDCU there will make a huge difference.

I think the first step is to determine the amount of support we do have.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:20 AM   #120
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
How about an ad in the Blue Barret?

Will they take/run it?

Tags
greg gibson, vintage-airstream.com