Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Bowling Alone

The vote is now behind us...so what is the next step? I think a quote from another thread, by the NEU delegate, sums it up rather nicely: "Now to get back to the real work of making this a club more folks want to be a part of."

Along those same lines, I want to mention a book I'm reading called "Bowling Alone," by Robert Putnam. He discusses the social changes in society that show how Americans have become more disconnected from family, friends and social structures such as Lions Club, Knight of Columbus, PTA, bowling leagues, Masons, etc. WBCCI is yet another social structure that is going thru the same declining membership pains. These clubs and organizations had an explosive growth period in the 50's and 60's and they are all now suffering from a membership decline. The author blames the membership decline on pressures of time and money, mobility and sprawl, along with technology and mass media.

I'm still working my way through the book so haven't reached the part yet where the author offers up possible solutions to the social disconnection problem. Has anyone finished the book yet? What did you think of it?

The challenge is now before us -- what can we do to make this a club more folks want to be a part of?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Glad you brought it up. You mentioned this book to me before and I couldn't remember the title/author. I may take up reading again, if I can drag myself away from the mobility, sprawl, technology mass media...
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:22 PM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Well, we can start by shutting down Airstreamforums.com, so people will have to join the club and go to rallies to talk about all things alluminum...

good heavens, what am I saying?!?!?

Seriously, though, this is part of it. society is just changing. we have busier lives, spread across more geography...commutes, long hours, etc. We fill the void (in part) with the internet. its just a different kind of community.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
Well, we can start by shutting down Airstreamforums.com, so people will have to join the club and go to rallies to talk about all things alluminum...good heavens, what am I saying?!?!? Seriously, though, this is part of it. society is just changing. we have busier lives, spread across more geography...commutes, long hours, etc. We fill the void (in part) with the internet. its just a different kind of community.
The Internet has enabled communities of narrow and specific interests to form and prosper without regard to geographic distance, whereas the older "bowling league" and community service organizations were based primarily on geographical proximity coupled with a lack of wide choices or variety that was available only in communities having large population density, i.e., very large cities. I'm more social today but have less human contact with nearby folks, replaced by more electronic contact with distant folks who share common interests. I get fewer colds but more viruses.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:26 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
My problem with a lot of in-person social groups is that you have to meet up with the expectations of people. You have to dress right, act right, say grace at their meals and stand for a pledge of allegiance, hold hands for group prayers, and explain why we have no kids. People treat me funny when I show up by myself to a car club meeting (which is 99% guys, and some wives who tag along). Even at the WBCCI I've seen rallys where the guys go do one activity (like a maintenance seminar) while the ladies do another (shopping or a tea party). You can guess how that works, I want to go to the seminar and my hubby wants to go shopping.

On the internet you can just be yourself. Nobody cares if you're a man or woman, black or white, short or tall, old or young. It's like we've found a better way to socialize. And we can do it for free and in our leasure time without leaving the house.

I feel pretty well socialized, how about you?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:01 PM   #6
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
The challenge is now before us -- what can we do to make this a club more folks want to be a part of?
A name change, perhaps?

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
The author blames the membership decline on pressures of time and money, mobility and sprawl, along with technology and mass media.

With the time and money problem, I think it would be good to look at how rallies are done. I fall into the 40-something with kids and busy life category and I'm finding the rallies that fit us best are the rendezvous or renegade rallies. The more planned-out the rallies are, the harder it is to commit to them and all the planning that revolves around them.

Technology and mass media seem to me more of a help than a hindrance in getting people together to revive the clubs (e.g. Airstreamforums, SaveWally.org ). But with mostly older, volunteer-based clubs, it's taking a heck of a long time for technology to come into place and be used effectively in the workings of the club. The forum works well, people come together naturally because they have a common interest (Airstream) and can pick and choose their topics and the people they'll hang out with over the net. This isn't something that happens easily with a WBCCI unit. All kinds of people at different points-of-view and stages of life set aside time to get out with their Airstream and other owners of Airstream, and they sometimes have very different ideas about what they want from the rally and club experience. It's a lot of commitment going in when the only thing you know for sure you have in common with other members are geographic proximity and Airstream ownership.

Sorry for the rambling. It's a good topic, Yuki. Lots to think about.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
My wife and I just returned from a car club tour and will host the cars tomorrow as they head back to AZ. A friend with a new AS will be arriving today to hang out with our car club buddies and await the arrival of the Great Race tomorrow afternoon. BTW, several of the car club members also own AS's and one of our tours was to the Shady Dell in Bisbee AZ.

Quite frankly, organizations like WBCCI tend to become so organized that they turn people off. Fun is in doing spur of the moment activities. I can phone or email some friends and have something going by the end of the month that will include 9 -12 AS owners along with owners of SOB.

We've been RV'ing for 20 + years and have had more than our share of fun. I've come to the conclusion that AS ownership and WBCCI membership have unintentionally become elitist. I have just as much fun with owners of SOB as I do with AS owners.

Let's see how long it takes to see the "save wally" icons go away.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:02 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
I think we "Bowl Alone" because we can. My guess is that in the past you were forced to interact more. Now there are so many choices in life to occupy your time. Not all of them good. Neither is the loss of the social group a good thing. I am very isolated in my social life. I have friends from my surfing, but we just run into eachother at the beach and that's about it. A party once or twice a year put on by a more social surfer than the others. My wife and I 'Stream alone. And actually do bowl alone from time to time. Other people usually wind up complicating my life. Cold hearted SOB, aren't I? Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
I see some pockets of light....

I attended a rally seminar here at International where the presenter is a big supporter of change and in the short time we had tried to help folks think outside of the box.

I saw a young woman (20 something) represent her Unit as their delegate - speak against the name change and share her view of the importance of Wally Byam to our club.

I've had members of other Units come up to me and ask how the NEU is attracting new members - really trying to understand our success, ready to make an effort to impact change in their own Unit so that they can be sucessful in attracting and retaining new members.

But, these are still just pockets of light. During the Delegates Meeting (5 bum-numbing hours sitting on bad chairs wearing white shirts, red ties and blue berets, listening to Roberts Rules and Points of Order - and this is a camping club?) the fellow who proposed the name change addressed the group and said something that I believe just may be true. He said (and this is not an exact quote): "Some of the older members understand the club is dying, but instead of accepting change for the survival club they are just hoping the club out lives them."

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:49 AM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Flag rules are also a big sticking point, but that's somebody else's pet peeve at the moment and I missed how that motion turned out on the floor. I'll have to get the scoop on that one.
What was up with the flag rules? I have to admit, that's a pet peeve of mine. I think if someone wants to fly the flag, good for them. I don't think people should be coming around and telling them they're doing it wrong. Anyone flying an American flag is a good thing in my opinion, no matter how they fly it.

I also think people should be able to fly unofficial flags, wind socks, and pirate flags if they want. That anyone needs to check pages and pages of rules to make sure you're doing something by-the-book just makes my head hurt. It flys in the face of what a camping club is supposed to be, in my opinion.

I'm very patriotic, but I wouldn't dare try to fly the flag on my trailer when there's good odds I'd be pounced upon by WWII vetrans telling me I was doing it wrong. That's just not worth the headache when I'm out camping!

Old 07-01-2006, 10:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
I think you'll find that amongst regular members (we are the majority by the way) there are a whole bunch of campers that happen to love their trailers and like to hang with people that feel the same way. Elite? I don't think so -- it's just the 50's regimented pomp and circumstance and these AWFUL uniforms people subject themselves to that move opinions in that direction. Flag rules are also a big sticking point, but that's somebody else's pet peeve at the moment and I missed how that motion turned out on the floor. I'll have to get the scoop on that one.
__
This failed - meaning it will not be put to vote in Perry GA at the 2007 International. I was surprised by the result, as I'm of the same mind as the fellow who proposed the change to the flag rules. Folks should be able to fly whatever flags (and as many flags) they want. Even though the flag rules are still in place I plan to keep flying my "unapproved" flags at WBCCI events - sometimes you've just got to break the rules to get the powers that be to begin to review and change the rules.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:44 PM   #13
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
...Even though the flag rules are still in place...
if I may be so bold, just what exactly are these "flag rules" of which you speak?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
I don't even really know. I just keep hearing them referred to. We need a Blue Book to find out. I got a peek at them once, I saw they specify who can fly what, how tall poles must be, the angle between the poles, stuff like that.

Old 07-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA

Here is some info on flag protocal from the WBCCI Bluebook...

6. Flag Protocol
a. National flags may be displayed outdoors from sunrise to sunset on buildings, on
recreational vehicles and on stationary flagpoles. (1/17/97)
b. National flags may be displayed outdoors at night provided such flags are illuminated by
lighting directed at the flags. (1/17/97)
c. National flags should not be displayed outdoors in inclement weather unless said flags are
of all-weather material. (6/27/05)
d. When two or more national flags are to be flown or displayed together, such flags should
be of approximately the same dimensions and flown or displayed at the same height on
separate staffs. (1/17/97)
e. International flag protocol requires that the host country’s flag be flown in the host
country’s position of honor. When in another country, the national flag of your country
should not be the only national flag you fly or display. When you do not have the national
flag of the country you are visiting, do not fly or display the national flag of your country.
In the latter circumstances, you may fly or display the flag of your state or province and
your flag of office, if any, or an International Board of Trustees approved Unit or Intra-
Club flag. (6/27/05)
WBCCI BLUE BOOK
BYLAWS AND POLICY PAGE - 54.2
ISSUED – 6/27/05

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________
f. International flag protocol requires that the host country’s flag be flown in the host
country’s position of honor. When in the United States of America and the only national
flag to be flown or displayed is the flag of said country, the position of honor is the center
staff and said staff is higher than the other staffs which may be flying or displaying state
and officer flags. (see Appendix #12) However, when one or more national flags of other
countries are to be flown or displayed with the national flag of the United States, the
position of honor for the latter national flag is on the left as viewed by persons facing the
flags. When one or more national flags are to be flown or displayed with the national flag
of the United States, all such flags should be of approximately the same size and each on a
separate staff and all flown or displayed at the same height. (see Appendix #12) (6/27/05)
When in Canada and only two flags are to be flown or displayed, e.g. the national flag of
Canada and the national flag of another country, or a provincial flag or a flag of office, the
position of honor of the national flag of Canada is on the left as viewed by persons facing
the flags. (see Appendix #12) When three flags are to be flown or displayed the position
of honor for the national flag of Canada is the center staff and when more than three flags
are to be flown or displayed the position of honor for the national flag of Canada is the left
staff. When two or more flags are to be flown or displayed each flag is to be on a separate
staff and all flown or displayed at the same height. (see Appendix #12) (1/17/97)
g. As long as there exists no Mexican Unit of WBCCI, all references to Mexican flags shall
be ignored at all events in the USA and Canada. However, all events taking place
(including caravans) in Mexico require that the following paragraph be followed: 6/27/05)
It is noted that an elected International Officer and Region Officer (whose Region has Club
authorized Units in different countries), is a representative of those members and Units, and
therefore the national flags of the countries represented should be honored equally during
formal opening and closing ceremonies and while on display during the Club authorized
activity that so apply. The United States of America’s Pledge of Allegiance may be
omitted at all Club authorized activities held outside the United States. (1/14/05)

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #16
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Start marking your calendar -- we're on to phase II. ..
Standardizing club voting procedures.

SaveWally was out of pure frustration by being told that this name WILL change .......

__
I think that the Save Wally name is totally appropriate for phase II.

Keep Savewally
No name change!

These kinds of changes will ultimately rejuvenate the club. It has to change to stay alive and change usually comes hard. WBCCI suffers from something those of us in the non-profit world call "Founders Syndrome". The old guard just can't comfortably shift gears. They may understand the need to on an intellectual level, but somehow have too much invested in the existing system to ACTUALLY make changes.

So this is how it works; folks who really care, get organized and the old guard gets territorial, they feel threatened. They believe that all they've done and experienced is not valued by the new rabble rouser's. They recognize that the club is broken, but just can't quite figure out how to fix it or are not willing.

The real trick is to remember that all stake holders have the same ultimate goals and motivation (well almost always) - Making the Club a great organization.

So...

I say keep the Save Wally name - - I'm pretty sure if something were broken or needed improvement Wally would be all over it!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:16 PM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Actually the flag protocol is pretty standard. It will have been taken from the national protocol codes that deal with it. It is a pet peeve of mine to see a flag improperly displayed or used. However I am not a "flag nazi", if I see a flag being flown improperly I might or might not say something to the person. Most of the time it is a matter of ignorance and not blatant disrespect. As far as personal choice in flags...let 'em fly!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
As I read in silence ,no posts ,I see the name change is not going to change
anything but the name ,and take away much history of what was when the airstream was concieved and designed by wally byam ,that alone should be
a solid reason to keep the club name. Now all the pompas ,elitist ,stuff ,
the RULES RULES ,flag protocals ,cmon ,That was never the desire of the
airstream club or the caravans .With 42 trailers in cairo you would need numbers on each trailer just to keep everyone identified .The numbers just show you belong ,thats it.Today we want to attend the club ralleys and have FUN ,not all the rigid restrictiveness that goes with it. I like the vintage rallys
and the trips and the fun and the commradery that exists within .The changes need to be in the operation of said club with regaurds to the strict
conformaty and the formalality that exits in todays wbcci .All units ,each one votes and all count and the delegate who represents that unit ,places the units vote to the person or persons that count it .Anyway ,Lots to say ,but
changing the name to the airstream club does what exactly?? I can't see
everything changing ,is everyone going to be thrown out and we all start over ? Changing the name does what I ask?? The ones that want the name
want to preserve I think the essense of what the founder wanted to do.
SEE MORE DO MORE LIVE MORE walley byam .the newer folks with the latest
airstreams want a club to join and have fun ,care less about any history
related to the airstream trailer .So there is the delimma .A vintage club preserving the history and the name ,and the airstream club of today .I llike
the history and the essense tied to it ,but the wbcci does need some repairs.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
...the newer folks with the latest
airstreams want a club to join and have fun ,care less about any history
related to the airstream trailer .
Scott
Scott -- I agree with most of what you said except for this. Our family isn't vintage, but we would never buy any other camper/trailer than Airstream because we like the design and the history attached to it. We joined WBCCI to be part of the continuing history and because the club with Wally's name still retains his spirit and all the stuff the vintage folks enjoy about getting out with their Airstreams. I think there are probably many of us younger folks with new Airstreams who prefer the vintage mindset within WBCCI over the elitist-Thor-cheerleaders-with-flags mindset (or whatever you want to call it). Maybe we can find room in the vintage group for some of us towing the future vintage trailers. -J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello dougjamie,

absolutley yes ,Im not for exclusion period .No need to be vintage ,it needs to be airstream .I own a 60 trdwnd ,but when I see a new airstream trailer zipping down the road ,I admit it ...IT brings a smile to my face ,cannot help it.They are the coolest trailers .You are right about the cheerleader thor
wbcci stuff.But thor industries really is not the problem as the club conformaty ,elitist business has been around for quite sometime.You need to
go where you can enjoy your rig and the friends you will make .That was
what wbcci use to be many years ago .Some old photos show wally byam
with a micro phone in hand, no huge ordeal just members joined around .
Another photo where many trailerites (airstream folks) all posing for the camera ,yes had the berets ,but see ,that was part of the belonging to
the group not a military format uniform code .You guys buying a new airstream and getting involved is the future and the only way to promote
the continuing ideas SEE MORE DO MORE LIVE MORE ,in an airstream .
So welcome to the airstream experience!

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote