Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #41

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShikariJones View Post
If there is one thing I despise its wasting time quarreling with martinets who rule private clubs.Tons of pin headed rules and regulations.

Sort of like those horrible folks that run condo associations.

No thank you!
Funny you say that, because a previous president of our unit described the WBCCI to me as 'a good neighborhood with strong covenants', to keep out the riff raff you know. Of cours she was explaining this to me to defend why everyone should have the proper flags correctly displayed according to the handbook regulations. She thought encouraging flag use would be a fun way to bring everyone togather. Silly me, I thought that was what campfires were for.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Unfortunately, there is zero chance that we will be at the Can Opener in January. We have sold our motorhome and the new owners are scheduled to pick it up on 11 September. We will miss you all.

Jim
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #43
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
So to anyone that wants...
I suggest you voice your concerns about the club right to the top. (moderator edit - e-mail address removed)
If the chain of command had failed, than it is time to talk to the leaders directly.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:41 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Shut up

I think we should all shut up this bad mouthing the WBCCI and IBT.We ALL know that they have lost their way with most of the member.But life is to short for me at 74 to worry about a few old men that rule the WBCCI and the IBT do.I am a Squarestream owner and you know how well the WBCCI liked us in the late 1980s
The WBCCI will live or die on it owen.When it dies someone will start another Airstream club and there will still be people that will not join and cry because they don,t like the way the new club is run.That is the way life is.
I say get of the porch and run with the big dogs and join a unit like the 4CU go camping,have fun with good folks you like.Stop thinking about the old dogs under the porch at the WBCCI and what they do.If you can't find a unit you like go camping by your self.
I have no use for people that bitch about the WBCCI and the IBT that do not belong.So you folks that do not belong get back under the porch , stop barking and get a life.
This will be my last posting about this WBCCI BS.So have fun with your postings tearing me a new one.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Would like the email address.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:49 PM   #46
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
I have sent an email to Jerry and would hope others will do the same.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:54 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Just sent the following to Mr. Larson:

"I just bought my first Airstream this spring. I've read several book about Wally and his passion and about WBCCI.

Thought I might join WBCCI, but I wasn't so sure when I read about the flap about "other brands" being invited to join. Was less sure when I read about some edict about tuxes at dinner at the International (I only wear my tux when I've got to attend a state occasion - I like to camp in more casual duds). Was even less sure once I went to several rallies supported not by WBCCI but by folks just interested in getting together and having fun.

But now I am sure. Read about the Bob Thompson suspension, and it seems clear to me that I've got lots of better things to do with my time than to waste it on people interested in suppressing dissent. Things like going camping with folks who are fun and inclusive. So, no thanks.

Wally must be turning over in his grave.

Ryan Haywood"
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #48
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Some times, I get this warm and fuzzy feeling about joining WBCCI ('cause it's an Airstream thaing) and then, when I read about all of the political stuff going on and rules about what to wear, where to park it and how high to jump, I'm really OK with just checking out the forums, seeing what's coming up and deciding if I want to go. Maybe organize something locally...

Asked Janet the other day about seeing how many folks in Austin were members of the forum - seems I've been seeing more and more within the past couple of years or so. She told me how to to sort according to city. Turns out, there's 260 forum members here in Austin! That's a good draw and a good local support group...

It's a club with no rules. Well, gotta be civil whilst writing...

Seems that when WBCCI was formed, everybody was joining one club or another... and they all seemed to wear hats and some of those hats even had horns. What's up with that? Guess times are a'changing and people kind of want to have less structure in their recreational lives.

Maybe I'll put my AIR numbers on the front of Daisy in blue and be done with it all... membership "dues" are downright reasonable, too. I'm sure Wally wouldn't mind because it was all about the Airstream, friendships and camping in the first place.

But back to something more serious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
i feel badly for the folks involved in this nonsense... it's filled with invitations to be spanked by the boss.
cheers
2air'
Uhhh... Joe, depends on what she looks like...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
I just sent the following to Jerry Larson:

Jerry,

What are you folks thinking? Bob is right in what he wrote. If you want the club to survive, listen to him, and others who have the right idea on what needs to be done to save the club.

Do whatever you need to do to get him reinstated and a formal apology for the rash actions of a few misguided people.

Jim Mickle, your former neighbor at 11-18 at TR
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:05 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
You in a heap o' trouble, boy!

If you will look inside the front cover of your Membership Directory, you will read the note,

"The membership list of the Wally Byam Caravan Club International, Inc. and each unit affiliated therewith are confidential information for use only as therein stated. The information contained in any membership list may be used for personal correspondence by any member, for use by Wally Byam Caravan Club, and any licensees of the foregoing. . . "

And here you done put this confidential information on a pubic forum. You in a heap o' trouble, boy. Expect a call from the Ethics and Grievance Committee.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:07 PM   #51
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Saint James , New York
Send a message via MSN to Byteman
Jim Franklin, IPP, Arizona Unit. I think Mr. Carson has touched upon a problem this club has been struggling with for quite a while. People on the Airstream Forum, people on the blog, they seem to be unhappy being members. They have driven away more members than what many of our membership crew has been able to obtain. I think that one of the solutions that Region Presidents and Unit Members need to look at, we need to think about quality instead of quantity.

This thinking and the proposed "solution" to rid the club of "undesireables" sounds highly ANIT-American. As a former Marine I am disgusted to hear another American deny the freedom to speak without fear of reprisal particularly while this country is at war defending from just such dictatorial measures.
Byteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #52
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post

If you will look inside the front cover of your Membership Directory, you will read the note,

"The membership list of the Wally Byam Caravan Club International, Inc. and each unit affiliated therewith are confidential information for use only as therein stated. The information contained in any membership list may be used for personal correspondence by any member, for use by Wally Byam Caravan Club, and any licensees of the foregoing. . . "

And here you done put this confidential information on a pubic forum. You in a heap o' trouble, boy. Expect a call from the Ethics and Grievance Committee.
Bring it on.... I am a member and I am encouraging other members to contact the members listed and voice their opinions, If that is what gets me put out fine....
Old 08-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
Bob had sent private letters to about 60 members describing his dissatisfaction about issues relating to the club...

What do you folks think about this?
Thank you LI Pets for publishing Bob Thompson's letter. From some of the comments I had wondered if Bob's language had been excessive in his evaluation, but now that I have read it, I support Bob in his courage and observation and loyalty to the members of WBCCI all the more.

I hope such an invitation to his fellow officers caused some to rally at his request. Once one steps forward and breaks the silence others often add their voices.

Suspension for that summation? I say we give him a medal. Now who has Bob's back? It's not easy to hang the bell around the cat's neck. We owe him a huge debt of gratitude. Calling strikes and judging failure is NOT what got Bob suspended, don't even think for a moment sweet talk or not so sweet is the issue. Any criticism kills in this organization. To survive one must be able to stick their head in the sand for long terms of leadership...

His assessment of the current state of WBCCI as a region leader caused him to be singled out to have punitive damage inflicted upon him in order to hold everyone else back in step. The IBT could not possibly risk truth and member priorities to snowball and pry their grip off club control.

Language? IBT actions speak louder than words, volumes, and much, much harsher than any tone Bob Thompson used to emphasize and demonstrate his serious concerns and to stand up and be counted and his resolve to not back down and away, as has been the unhealthful pattern for the IBT for far too long, upon threat of personal repricussions. Or you may be familiar with their preferred "spin" the Code of Ethics. Too ironic, isn't it?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:54 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Suspension for that summation? I say we give him a medal. Now who has Bob's back? It's not easy to hang the bell around the cat's neck. We owe him a huge debt of gratitude.
Carol,

The answer to the question "who has Bob's back" is Leo Garvey. For details see here:

http://savewally.org/forums/index.php?topic=1158.0

The Ethics and Grievance Committee hearing on the grievance filed against Leo is scheduled for WBCCI Headquarters at Jackson Center, Ohio on Sept 23 at 1:00. See here:

http://savewally.org/forums/index.php?topic=1162.0

Frankly, I expect that if they suspended Bob Thompson they will toss Leo out of the club permanently. We can hope that the Executive Committee will see the light before then. (Or, if not see the light, feel the heat.)

Maybe those of us who want to show our support for Leo ought to show up that day at Jackson Center. . .

(I would suggest coordinating with Leo first.)
Old 08-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #55
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Nuvite F, I will pay your gas money and your lunch if you go and voice my opinion.

I also just sent Jerry an email. I let him know how I felt about the club, how I felt about this current situation, and what I thought the future was. I sure hope he listens to what all the members are saying.

Please send him your thoughts.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Nuvite F, I will pay your gas money and your lunch if you go and voice my opinion.
Thanks--but not necessary!
Old 08-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I have pretty much zero experience with WBCCI, but the Air Forum folks have been fantastic. Carl helped my wife and I find our Overlander. Frank has already offered to stop by and offer his expert opinion (and give me a great deal on some unused POR-15). I took a bit of time to help Remco and was overwhelmed by the warmth and graciousness. The folks here who have "lived to tell the tale" on a restoration (like TomW) have been incredibly generous with their time and hard-earned expertise. If there are WBCCI discontents here, I haven't found them.

I don't know if anyone from WBCCI's leadership team will read this, but here's some food for thought. My wife and I decided to buy our vintage Airstream... not because we were visited by the ghost of Wally Byam or because we've had a lifelong fixation with red numbers on aluminum skin. We bought our Overlander because we're fulfilling an Airstream dream that began with our grandparents and because the people here at Air Forums helped us believe we could make it happen. Imagine how great WBCCI could be if it could tap into just a fraction of the incredible people here. Of course, people might need to lighten up a little bit on the "this is how to fly your flags" stuff.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:55 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Saddened

I was really interested in joining the WBCCI until getting involved with the forum. I would still like to join, but I get enough rules, regulations, and politics as a teacher. The last thing I want is to get caught up in politics while camping. With that said, the Airstream Forum is an awesome asset!!
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Can I ask a dumb question? There are people that post in every thread in this forum that say, "This is why I don't join WBCCI." Well, then, why are you bothering with this forum? Obviously WBCCI must hold SOME interest for you.

"This is why I don't join WBCCI" has been said in this forum a million times. And this has been said a million times, too, but I'll say it again: "Some of the unit rallies are GREAT. That's why we stay in it." I just got back from another excellent WDCU Outer Banks rally yesterday, my third WDCU rally this year, and I've had a great time at all of them. (Side note: WDCU managed to pick up ANOTHER membership while we were there, just like we did in 2006. How did you do that, you might ask? We invited them to our gatherings and had fun. Strange how that works.)

But on to the original topic: I'm very disappointed to see this. I can see why Bob's message annoyed them; it's written in a rather inflammatory tone. But to suspend him over it? No. When your region presidents are telling you there is a problem with the club, perhaps you should listen to them instead of censuring them.

Also, I think it's likely few of us would've heard about this letter except that the IBT (or whatever) took this drastic step.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:09 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
I have to agree with Hamstead38 on the first page of posts. I am the Mayor of a small town and the last thing I need to join is a group that has so much politics that you lose the original reason for being formed. Fun and companionship. Has anyone ever read Roberts Rules. I tried and even the condenced version is unusable to the real world. Do the right thing and you won't go wrong.
Thanks
Jerry
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote