Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Lightbulb Bob Thompson suspended from WBCCI for expressing his opinions about the IBT

Bob Thompson has now been SUSPENDED for ONE YEAR from the WBCCI. The reason? For simple expressing his views. Should the club have this power? A letter of dissatisfaction to the IP brings a one year suspension in a grievance filed by a non-involved party, past International President Jim Franklin.

The WBCCI had now taken the position that if you say anything that can be construed in THEIR minds as negative opinions you're going to get the boot.

Bob had sent private letters to about 60 members describing his dissatisfaction about issues relating to the club.

"Subject: WHAT IS GOING ON?
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 14:02:02 -0400

First we have the Proxy Motion at Mid-Winter IBT ruled "out of Order" based on a flimsy excuse. When, in fact, the motion does provide for a real human (the Proxy Holder) to be authorized to represent the unit giving the proxy. That Proxy would be instructed in the exact same manner as any Unit Delegate, prepared and ready to debate issues, and vote on amendments, for that Unit. That proxy holder would present themselves to the Delegate Credentials Committee and receive their credential. That Proxy Holder, now the Delegate for that unit, would be at the Delegates Meeting and have all the rights of any other Delegate. Yet our leadership, apparently not wanting every member's vote to be counted, rules the motion out of order, without the process of being discussed and voted on. It appears that I was wrong in thinking that we were following Robert's Rules in the conduct of a democratic meeting. STRIKE ONE MR COLLINS.

Then we come to the Parade issue. Who is minding the store? Mr. President, the flag issue is not a rumor; your statements are an insult to the membership. The buck stops at your office, and this issue should never have occurred. It appears, Mr. President, that your administration is "out of order" STRIKE TWO MR. COLLINS.

Now a four page voting procedures document is issued to some of the units - others did not receive it. The document is very biased against candidates running from the floor, and heavily favors the official slate of nominees. What's next Mr. President?

Since the Federal and State of Ohio election laws pertaining to corporations (including non-profit ones) appear to indicate, that if a unit, or an organization, does not follow the written voting procedures of the parent organization, then their votes can be nullified and not counted. This is similar to the two state Parties who did not follow the election instructions of the DNC, which like the WBCCI, is also a non-profit organization. Is this the intent? If not, why then do you say that you will take the matter under consideration and not take the necessary actions to correct the problem while we still have time?

Your own CB&L Chairman agrees that there is a problem. Some units don't even know that there are two people running for I3VP. Why is your administration trying to implement the "Two Highest Votes" provision, when it has NOT yet been voted on by the Delegates, and therefore is not yet a part of the WBCCI Constitution?

I'll bet that there are quite a few lawyers out there that would love to get their hands on this one. They would have a field day. Now there is an idea whose time may have finally come.

Why issue the voting procedures document in the first place? I've got news for you Mr. President, the membership is very smart and knows how to vote without it. Gee, Wally must be turning over in his grave. STRIKE THREE MR. COLLINS.

THREE STRIKES AND YOU'RE OUT MR. PRESIDENT. YOUR ADMINISTRATION HAS FAILED.

Wait, there's more. Mr. President, the Club's budget is operating in the red to the tune of thirty thousand dollars. Can we, the members, expect your administration to continue to operate in the red? I've not been informed of any significant cost savings since the Mid-Winter IBT meeting. ANOTHER STRIKE MR. COLLINS.

Retention is the number one problem in the Club, so what positive initiatives has your administration enacted? How come Regions I and II (among others) are growing and the leadership in your administration has not even looked into why, when other regions are not. Let's look at this retention problem a little closer.

Are you aware that last year a group of Airstream owners consisting of WBCCI members and non-members held a get-together in Western Florida? Most were non-members and it appears that they convinced some WBCCI members that there was a hassle-free way to have Airstream fun. It is understood that WBCCI lost some members as a result, the proof was in the DOING. That group again held a get-together this year, with even more Airstream RVs in attendance, over 60 RVs strong. Want to know more about this and other "get-togethers" across our country, then check out the "AirForums" website. This is happening in other areas of our nation. Their numbers are growing and ours are not. What does that tell
you? No action on your part gets you ANOTHER STRIKE MR. COLLINS.

Oh! Almost forgot, it appears that a Region 3 unit passed a motion under section 1 of the amendments Article. It is believed that amendment concerned the motorhome issue. Now, let me say up front that I am an Airstream trailer owner and that I believe that the Club should remain Airstream Products only Club. BUT I also believe that the Unit putting forth their motion had every right to do so under our Club's Constitution and I will fight for their right to do so, even though I would cast a no vote on such a motion.

AND it also appears that a Region 2 unit passed a couple of motions under section 1 of the amendments Article and sent such to their Region President.

So why have these not been sent to the other units in their region for a vote in accordance with the WBCCI Constitution? It is your administration Mr. President, the buck stops with you. It is understood that your administration appears to have taken action to cause the withdrawing of one motion and delay of the others. . Were scare tactics involved? What is going on? Why is International interfering with due process? Don't try that in my Region while I am the Region President.
Yeah, I know, you will "take it under consideration" Well that is ANOTHER STRIKE MR. COLLINS.

And while we are on the subject of a Section 1 of the amendments Article, allow me to advise you of coming events.

As you are aware (or should be) I have submitted the Proxy Motion to be placed on the agenda for the upcoming IBT. Now we know your "Out of Order" position, so a Unit placed the very same motion on their business meeting agenda; discussed it, and voted 100% for it. All with an attorney present. That motion was passed under Section 2, where in a unit may submit motions directly to the Delegates, without going through the IBT. As that motion is going through the process, you may have prevented all units from casting their votes in the short term, but all you have done is delay the inevitable. Our membership and our units will be able to cast their votes by proxy when necessary, and if you find the need to block this attempt just one more time, it is our membership that will make this happen in '09.

Now another unit is voting on the same Proxy Motion to amend the WBCCI Constitution under Section 1, and when their Region President receives the documentation, it will be sent to all of the units in their region to be voted on. And there is no greater example of a deliberative assembly then that of a unit addressing an issue. Every member has the right to speak, debate, and vote. When an administration fails, it is the right of the membership to take corrective action. Section 1 is their tool. The Constitution of the United States and that of Canada provide for this thye of Article and the Constitution of Ohio provides for such and WBCCI Constitution provides for it also.

Mr. President, it is believed that your administration is in a mess; is a complete failure; and is "out of order." YET ANOTHER STRIKE MR. COLLINS

Tell me, Mr. President, how many vendors are going to be at International? Less than fifty? Another failure. ANOTHER STRIKE MR. COLLINS.

Tell me Mr. President, How many helpful seminars are going to be at International? Not many, huh. Our Region 1 Rally has eleven helpful seminars planed plus several workshops. It is noted that Region 2, under Barry's administration as well as Don's current leadership have both presented great seminars and informative presentations. AND over in Region 3, Tom's administration has done a great job. In fact, Region 1 people go to many of the seminars in Regions 1 & 2 so we may learn and do better in our own Region. No wonder attendance is up at Region Rallies. Why hasn't International used some of these presenters?

Another failure, ANOTHER STRIKE MR. COLLINS.

NOW, IN ALL FAIRNESS TO YOU, MR. COLLINS, THESE STRIKES ARE LIKE IN A BALL GAME. YOU HAVE SIMPLY STRUCK OUT AND YOUR ADMINISTRATION HAS FAILED. IT IS SAD TO SAY, IN THE END, IT IS THE MEMBERSHIP THAT HAS LOST.

Ok IBT members, you have kept silent long enough, STAND UP AND BE COUNTED.

If the above comments do not provoke you into taking a position instead of being just another sheep in the flock, then I too have failed our membership. Take a stand, for me, or against me, it does not matter, just stand up for your Region's membership and do what is best for them, and best for WBCCI.

To paraphrase another, I know not what course others may take, but I will stand by the membership and work for the membership to my last day in office.

Robert E. Thompson II
Region 1 President"

What do you folks think about this?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Wow
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
There are quite long threads about this subject on Save Wally Forum section and the official WBCCI website Forum. For more details, you can go there. Jerry Larson, the current International president, has an openly published E-mail address and is answering e-mails directed at him regarding your opinions in this matter. You may obtain his e-mail address in the Blue Berret.

Bob has filed an appeal to the seven committee grievence commitee ruling. Jerry Larson will be take the lead roll in whether this ruling is over turned.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
puts me off

y'a know, it is threads like this and others that put me off joining the WBCCI. I don't need this kind of discension and politics in my recreational life. I am here to have fun, not be involved in in-fighting and squabbling.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Bob, Thanks for presenting the facts here. I agree with you 100% when it comes to allowing the proxy votes to be counted. This had never been out of order in the past.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
There are quite long threads about this subject on Save Wally Forum section and the official WBCCI website Forum.
True but the heart and sole of Airstreamers is here.

Just look at the traffic and number of posts here, in fact would you want to post on the WBCCI forum and run the risk of getting booted?

--------------------

Quote:
Bob has filed an appeal to the seven committee grievance committee ruling. Jerry Larson will be take the lead roll in whether this ruling is over turned.
It was my understanding that since he did not go the hearing in Ohio and defend himself he lost the right to appeal.

To appeal to the same people is useless anyway.

What I would like to see happen here is for Bob to sue the pants off WBCCI in Federal Court for things like freedom of speech and the ramifications of what they did as it relates to the US Constitution.

Also for the interpretation of the WBCCI by laws.

How would the WBCCI defend a Federal lawsuit the average cost to defend such an action is $100,000 -$300,000 in Federal Court.

How much money was reported in the WBCCI bank account at the last International Rally.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
y'a know, it is threads like this and others that put me off joining the WBCCI. I don't need this kind of dissension and politics in my recreational life. I am here to have fun, not be involved in in-fighting and squabbling.

I agree too... I don't want to be part of a polical mess... I want to go camping and have fun.... My friend and I have airstreams and go camping a lot.. we meet others sometimes... I defiantly don't need this hassle when I want to have fun.

Sounds like a lot of people stuck to the old ways, Wanting to control everything down to the lock on your hitch (from a previous thread.)...
I think things are going to have to change if you want younger folks like me to join.. Or maybe you don't want folks like me...(A lot of churches are closing because they can't bring in new members, because they don't want to change.) Hope this doesn't happen with the WBCCI.

Sorry to say this but it's how I feel...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
My wife and I are new owners of a '67 Overlander. We've haven't made any decision about WBCCI. I am a supporting member of this forum because I have received far more than $20 worth of support, information and friendship. When we were searching for our "tin girl," we posted an ad on Tin Can Tourists. Joining seemed like the least we could do to support a site that helped us in our search.

The threads on WBCCI make me a bit nervous. In real life, I'm the administrator of a small city. My job comes with its share of headaches including dealing with local homeowner's association (HOA). Before we bought our new home last year, we lived in a neighborhood with an HOA. When an HOA board member found out I was a city administrator and knew about stuff like paving, snow removal, facilities maintenance, stormwater management, etc., he wanted me to serve. My answer: I already have enough people who don't like me.

There is not a single recreation activity I enjoy that involves Robert's Rules of Order. After we restore our Overlander, I want to enjoy frosty beverages and the company of congenial folks. I'm not interested in anything that involves politics, infighting, quorums, votes or proxies. When it comes to joining WBCCI or not, it comes down to simple calculus. Is the cost worth the benefit? I'm not just talking about financial cost. Given what we plan to spend making the Overlander worthy of going over land, the membership dues seem pretty miniscule. I'm talking about the "total cost," including any nonmonetary hassles.

At the end of the day, the WBCCI will either meet the needs of enough of its members to stay afloat... or it won't. If it doesn't, it has to follow the iron rule of organizations... change or die.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #9
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I think things are going to have to change if you want younger folks like me to join.. Or maybe you don't want folks like me...
We do, but in order to change the guard you need to join!
The club needs new blood.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
I agree too... I don't want to be part of a polical mess... I want to go camping and have fun....
Amen. Why spend what little time most of us have fixing a totally dysfunctional club. Most of us (read not all) enjoy camping and meeting other campers and can do it without this broken club. This last event just simply is the icing on the cake IMHO.

For those of you who love the club, more power to ya.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #11
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post

It was my understanding that since he did not go the hearing in Ohio and defend himself he lost the right to appeal.
Bob has 30 days from the activation date to file an appeal which he will be doing.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
If you're correct he should skip the appeal, and march into Court, stay that appeal date, and litigate the issues.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post

At the end of the day, the WBCCI will either meet the needs of enough of its members to stay afloat... or it won't. If it doesn't, it has to follow the iron rule of organizations... change or die.
There is a lot of wisdom in this quote.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #14
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Bob had sent private letters to about 60 members describing his dissatisfaction about issues relating to the club.

What do you folks think about this?

As one of the WBCCI Members who Bob sent his letter to I have been asked since the IBT Decision what was it that Bob said. As you indicated, Bob had sent private letters..... I have addressed the letter issue to members and friends as a letter Bob had sent to 63 individuals and if you wished to have a copy please ask Bob. I knew sooner or later it would become public but I only wish it were Bob who had made it so. Sometimes when we think we are helping a friend we end up doing just the opposite. True, Bob's letter was quite pointed but if you know Bob as I do that is just Bob. He always speaks from the hip which is not always a good thing. Bob has nothing but the best interest of the WBCCI and it's members at heart and was trying to make his feelings known in a strong statement. It was not an attack on anyone's character but only on his thoughts of their performance. The punishment is way out of line for just making your feelings known on the way things are being run in an organization you pay dues to. Yes, we pay for the privelage of being members and it seems we are not allowed to voice our opions. Could Bob have made his thoughts known in a better fashion, yes; does Bob support the members of WBCCI and hold them and the club dear? Yes he does. Have health problems in recents weeks caused distress for Bob? Yes. To help Bob, please take the time to send our WBCCI president an email or letter showing member support for Bob and his right to voice his concerns. When doing so, please be cordial and to the point. Thank you.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 08-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
I had just about given up on ever joining WBCCI, but after reading about Bob's fight to make changes at the top and because of the encouragement of others in local units, my husband and I are finally going to join....perhaps our vote will help!

I have never met Bob, but it is my hope that he is successful in his appeal. We need people like Bob at the top fighting to make the WBCCI a club we ALL want to join!

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 08-25-2008, 12:00 PM   #16
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5 View Post
I had just about given up on ever joining WBCCI, but after reading about Bob's fight to make changes at the top and because of the encouragement of others in local units, my husband and I are finally going to join....perhaps our vote will help!

I have never met Bob, but it is my hope that he is successful in his appeal. We need people like Bob at the top fighting to make the WBCCI a club we ALL want to join!
Thank you for your post and for stepping forward to join a really great club and a wonderful group of people at the unit level. As I have mentioned so many times before, don't leave, join so that together we can all go camping together, have fun together and show others that Airstream owners are the best!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 08-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
We do, but in order to change the guard you need to join!
The club needs new blood.
The problem is, I deal with stuff in the real world I don't want to have to do it in my recreational one..... I want to enjoy myself not be pulled in to petty politics and bickering..

The club seems to have lost what it was created for.... Enjoying a camping trip with friends... and is caught up in rules and regulations on how to enjoy that trip and what to do on it... (is this correct or not?)

I've seen it happen.. The old guard won't let go till they die... And new blood will have a hard time getting in and making changes.. And for me it not worth the hassle.. Maybe for someone else????

The leadership needs to realize what it is doing and change. But I doubt it will happen till it's to late, as is usually the fact..

Maybe the units should pull out of the International and do your own thing... Seems like you have more fun in the Unit anyway.....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:04 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
The problem is, I deal with stuff in the real world I don't want to have to do it in my recreational one..... I want to enjoy myself not be pulled in to petty politics and bickering..

The club seems to have lost what it was created for.... Enjoying a camping trip with friends... and is caught up in rules and regulations on how to enjoy that trip and what to do on it... (is this correct or not?)

I've seen it happen.. The old guard won't let go till they die... And new blood will have a hard time getting in and making changes.. And for me it not worth the hassle.. Maybe for someone else????

The leadership needs to realize what it is doing and change. But I doubt it will happen till it's to late, as is usually the fact..

Maybe the units should pull out of the International and do your own thing... Seems like you have more fun in the Unit anyway.....
Another Amen and some karma sent your way.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:11 PM   #19
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
I don't need this kind of discension and politics in my recreational life. I am here to have fun, not be involved in in-fighting and squabbling.
Hello! This is exactly why the membership is dwindling.

It amazes me that there was a committee to do a study to figure out how to increase membership and the WBCCI can't figure out that they can't continue to do business as usual, and can't repeat the same mistake over and over (motor home issue), or rail road the members. Hello people, wake up and smell the coffee.

Sometimes I really think if I hadn't joined the WBCCI, I wouldn't join it now. I just sent in our membership dues but I really think that if the motorhome issue comes up again this year, I may not rejoin next year.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
This is a slap down by the same people that didn't let the New England Unit's officers into International in Georgia in 2007. It's a shame that a handful of people are willing to let the club die with them if they cann't have their Four Winds motor homes.

I believe it is possible to have an Airstream trailer club without this kind of problem. But not WBCCI, it's who the leadership is, has been, and will be.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote