Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2009, 07:30 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
WOW Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick View Post
So here I sit at the 2009 International Rally in Madison WI...................

HAVING A BLAST (again, #10 now)

This is what the club is about, nice grass site, great weather, good people, and a meeting to go to when I want to.

Couple of notes on the International, the seminars that they have set are some of the best I have seen in some time, those that set those up, they did a great job!

The VAC parking as always is great, 60 + coaches here and it great to see old WBCCI vintage members ( and non vintage as well!)

Most of all NO ONE has tried to shove politics down my throat this week.

Just a good time with good people.

Get out and pull your trailer, that's what the club is about.
And all of the above from a very simple post (Quoted).

Glad I'm still on vacation, parked on pavement, paying over $500 for the week. Got to go ride coasters, see you all when I get home................
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #82
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I have that experience on every occasion.

too bad that it doesn't appear to be available to you. I'd say to put in for a transfer to Devens...but they closed it.
Chuck,

Devens isn't fully closed. My wife is supposedly heading there for training in a week.

Steve
Old 07-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
And all of the above from a very simple post (Quoted).

Glad I'm still on vacation, parked on pavement, paying over $500 for the week. Got to go ride coasters, see you all when I get home................
But I bet you're getting full hook-ups for that $500 Party-ON!
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #84
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Chuck,

Devens isn't fully closed. My wife is supposedly heading there for training in a week.

Steve
Which Devens? The post is closed but the fort remains.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #85
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Interesting...I knew there was some 'guard stuff still going on, but I thought that was about it. last I heard, they were in the process of creating a new municipality that encompasses the area formerly known as "Fort" Devens, to be called "Devens". that may have already happened.
What I do know is that the highway exit that used to say "Jackson Gate", now has the word "gate" scratched out, and replaced with "road". (they may have actually made a whole new sign by now, but it was that way at first!)

well, anyway, hook that beast up and point it north by north-east!
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:39 AM   #86
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Mark is correct, it is Fort Devens, MA.

I would LOVE to get up into the NE United States. All the historic site would make it worth it. As long as I don't have to see a Red Sox hat or Tom Brady Jersey every 100 meters

Steve
Old 07-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #87
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Mark is correct, it is Fort Devens, MA.

I would LOVE to get up into the NE United States. All the historic site would make it worth it. As long as I don't have to see a Red Sox hat or Tom Brady Jersey every 100 meters

Steve
well, nevermind, then. there's just no way to work this out.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:31 AM   #88
Rivet Master

Can you answer why??

Ed,

Can you or anyone else explain to me why there was 10+ trailers that are clearly not vintage(I understand Airstream had placed one for PeeWee and maybe another for a different reason) parking in the VAC area?? Are they friends of VAC members wanting to hangout with their friends at the expense of other VAC members who brought "VINTAGE" trailers to the International Rally? In Perry, GA a VAC member who showed up early (with a 1964 vintage trailer) were given a hard time about parking early under a tree! Another VAC member who brought their 1985 34' instead of his 1970 model was told even though he was a VAC member, they were "not allowed" to park with the other VAC members because he brought his less than 25 year old trailer to International. Now two years later, you have trailers that are "clearly" not vintage (even though they may have been VAC members) parking in the VAC parking area. I guess it all depends on who you are or who you know!

I think most would agree that to park in the VAC area, your trailer "should be" 25+ years old. If it's not a requirement to have a 25+ year old trailer to park with the VAC, what's the point of having VAC parking!

Based on the pictures all one has to do is become a VAC member to hangout with their frinds in VAC parking even though they don't either own or show-up in a VAC rig!

I will wait for your or anyone else's answer why this was allowed.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Good question Paul

This question is on Point Paul.. our question exactly from the pavement section (that was all Vintage and no new rigs)... that was our biggest peeve especially after being told by the VAC Pres on Friday that he had good news that we'd be parked on the grass... to not be parked on grass, and then to see all those new trailers in VAC.. that was what really bent us... or maybe it was that our WDCUer's were penalized because they were hanging and caravanning with the recently resigned VAC 2nd VP... We had two 1955 Bubbles - California Whale Tales, a 1958 30 footer (only one there), a 1961 Trade Wind, 1962 Overlander, 1963 Globetrotter and 1971 Globetrotter with us... interesting to see the slideouts there in Vintage...

Who knows.. maybe next year they should charge $300 for grass parking like they did for AC.... to weed out the haves and the have nots or charge non vintage rigs extra to park in Vintage and the $$$ goes to VAC.

Oh well - you live and learn...
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #90
Rivet Master

Something stinks!!

Rob,
As the Region 2 VAC Rep. (not that it means anything to anyone) I do have a real problem with a Unit from Region 2 whom caravanned half-way across the country pulling over 10 trailers from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s to support the WBCCI International Rally along with the VAC and the VAC parade, to be park in an area across from the main VAC area while others who attended with trailers no were close to being “vintage” are parked in the main VAC area regardless of 3 or 30 amp. Why is that? Were they friends with the right people? Did it just so happen over 10-13 VAC members all from the same basic area had their “vintage” trailers fail all at the same time requiring them to attend the WBCCI International Rally with their newer trailers (less than 25 years old) and were unable to change their parking area to general parking?

Something is a foul here and it stinks to high heaven. Being that I was not there, I can only go on a few phone calls made and pictures of over 10+ newer trailers parked in an area that is “supposed” to be used by trailers 25+ years old. As I said in an earlier post, if it is not a requirement to have a trailer older than 25 years to park in the “VAC” area even though you maybe a VAC member, why have it at all?? If the reason why they parked there was to be next to their friends, a group can setup a time to “caravan” in together with the parking committee and be parked with the rest of the trailers in “general” parking.

During the International Rally in Perry, GA I was caravan leader for a group of seven trailers of which we had two trailers that were not over 25 years old. Both the members who were pulling the trailers were both “VAC” members who chose to attend the rally in their newer 1985 and 1989 models/three axle trailers. They were told they “would not” be allowed to park with the “VAC”. Though they did not like it, they understood it was their choice to use their newer trailers to attend the rally because of the heat and accepted that fact they had to park in “general” parking.

I think it is time, to make a requirement (that many of us already thought was there) if you plan to attend the International Rally and park with the VAC, your trailer “MUST” be 25yrs or older to do so, no if’s, and’s or but’s.
I can understand you and the others being upset looking across and seeing new trailers parked in the main VAC area, while you and others are on the sidelines.

If you would like to “officially” file a complaint to the leadership within the VAC (not that it will do anything) or propose a rule be put in place for the requirement of Airstream units to be 25+ years old or old to be allowed to park in the VAC area, let me know. I can find out what is required to do so.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #91
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Guys, I don't think Ed is the one to ask. I think these questions should be asked of the guy who organized the caravan to International from the rendezvous. You know him, he is your new president. The odd thing is, his name does not appear on the list of officers in the 2008 directory. I always thought you were 3rd VP, then 2nd, then 1st VP before you became president. I guess someone just got slid into the mix. So much for moving up the ranks.

Ed is just painting a rosy picture of what was for him a super time. He does not need to take the flack for all this. It is not his fault he was parked on the grass in his 1988 trailer. He was past president and is doing a tremendous job building his club.

I also think Rob was a little off base in his description of Happy Hour as "the lamest"
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1514.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	462.8 KB
ID:	83585
There was a great spread.

Name:	IMG_1515.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	83586
There was a bowl of Cheetos

Name:	IMG_1516.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	83587
There was Chex mix and nacho flavored Doritos

Name:	IMG_1517.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	83588
and some mini pretzels and baked Ritz crackers. I think he was expecting someone to put out some real stuff.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I traveled a long way, recruited a bunch of people to come along and we were slighted. There is no other way to view it. I hope the west coast VACers enjoy their club. They can have it.
Best to experience these things yourself.
I tried to warn you. They must have found out you broke bread with members of the New England Unit. A real East Coast VAC is important, with or without WBCCI. Tin Can Rally in NY should be a blast.
Come on up and camp. Ninigret Music Festival Labor Day Weekend.

» Festivals & Events
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
....Participate the way I have over the years and then maybe I will listen to what you have to say (complain) about.....
Well that's a familiar WBCCI leadership attitude. You, there on the side... you.. new guy with only 5 years in the club.... if I want your opinion I'll ask for it...but please understand you should decline as you haven't got enough time in the club to know what you are talking about....Just send in your dues, pay to attend International and keep your complaints to yourself....
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #94
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Old 07-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Funny thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
If you would like to “officially” file a complaint to the leadership within the VAC (not that it will do anything) or propose a rule be put in place for the requirement of Airstream units to be 25+ years old or old to be allowed to park in the VAC area, let me know. I can find out what is required to do so.
Paul,

Up until a couple months ago, I was VAC 2d VP but I resigned... a time issue as well as something related to the VAC bylaws being pissed upon.... but no one really cares about that either....

I think we should press this Paul. I would like to see how we go about getting a rule put in place to protect those that do make the effort pulling 51 year old trailers to support the VAC but then new units are put before them... such that all vintage are parked together, then new rigs are taken on a Space - Available trailer by trailer case in the future.

Maybe our VAC leadership will give the reason.. it was the new President's job I believe to organize the parade in as well as the parking. But then again, this issue is "Our problem" and not theirs...
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Well.....where is the leadership on this issue?

I know they are reading it or at least hearing about it.

C'mon lets hear it!

Stand and lead or lose membership it really is that simple.

Take the lumps if deserved, or argue if they are not, but please stop hiding.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Doug
Participate the way I have over the years and then maybe I will listen to what you have to say (complain) about..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59 View Post
Well that's a familiar WBCCI leadership attitude. You, there on the side... you.. new guy with only 5 years in the club.... if I want your opinion I'll ask for it...but please understand you should decline as you haven't got enough time in the club to know what you are talking about....Just send in your dues, pay to attend International and keep your complaints to yourself....
Over59, that comment was made to me and funny thing, I have 11 years in the club and was mentioned 3 times in the last Vintage Advantage for participating at vintage rallies. But what do I know?
Doug Rowbottom
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #98
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
A question for intermission

I hate to interrupt the squabble, but I am curious; I knew about the larger tiff in WBCCI, but not within VAC. What is the fighting over on the vintage side?

I return you to your regularly scheduled WBCCI drama

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #99
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Frank, Rob, I know how you guys feel, although I didnt park with the VAC last International in Bozeman, I still tried to attend the Happy Hours. I felt like I was not wanted there, if I wasnt parked with them I was almost given the cold shoulder. I even went and asked a VAC officer about the issue with having non-vintage parked with the VAC and was told " Thats not a battle you want to fight." I asked why and was told because we dont want to push people away, and although they are newer trailers at the rally, they may have a vintage at home. Pushing away is just what happend, we pushed away some really great members!

I believe that vintage should be parked in vintage. Even if we wernt on grass, at least put us together. All or none is a saying that Im wondering if leadership has forgotten.

As for the happy hour, I wasnt complaining, I thought it was fine for finger foods, it wasnt suppost to be a meal. Although many of the dishes didnt require much work, its the thought that matters for me. People took the effort to bring something and thats better than nothing.
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:35 AM   #100
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Leo, let me see if I am getting this right, for I am somewhat simple. You don't have to actually own a vintage rig to be in the VAC you just need to send in the $20. And because the VAC wants bodies in it's numbers, it does not matter if you park a non vintage rig with the club dedicated to vintage units. Is that right?

Leo also, you understand these things better than me.... How does a guy come from no where and become president of the club? I had always thought you start as 3rd VP and move up until it is your turn. I am very confused about this. Could you explain that to me(or us)?