Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2004, 05:30 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Maybe we have something in common

I could not agree more with those of you who are looking for WBCCI activities with a more youthful member in mind.

I have four grand children and would LOVE to see activities which they could enjoy.

Just a thought that maybe there are some 'old' members who would be very willing to augment the activities toward a more youthful and time limited membership.

Just a thought in the discussion about working from the inside Vs starting a new group.
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 06:02 AM   #62
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Evolution

It is what I have said all along, the old are slowly but surely passing away. All the more reason for the Working Family Generation (WFG) to step in and take up the slack.

The senior crowd, (for the most part) will gladly step aside and let us take over. Remember, they have been members for a long time and many of them have held office more than once.

Can you blame them for becoming complacent? They have served their terms and they would like someone else to step in and drive.
They are okay with sitting around and doing nothing if that is all the unit wishes to do. But I will bet that they would be excited about some new activities.

It is a simple matter of we dont do things the way they did. They too had to change some during their time. Surely you dont believe the club has been exactly the same for all these years. It has evolved and the next generation is here. The evolution will continue. Even Airstream has changed, very subtly. The foundation is the same but they have changed.

While many units are suffering, ours is VERY healthy and we are continuing to grow. I guess I was just lucky and found myself joining this unit. It could be very different, But it was destiny that I purchased an Airstream instead of an SOB. I was not looking for an Airstream exclusively when I bought one. I was looking for an affordable camper in decent shape. Destiny has brought me to the SCCU and life is good. If you could only experience the anxiety that builds every month in anticipation of next months rally. It is great that I do not have to call several people and try to get a camping trip organized. You have to admit, it is difficult to bring more than a handful of campers together at the same time, much less every month. I can count on no less than twenty units attending each and every month that has the same excitement as me. Now can you say that?

I would venture to say we will grow by at least one more unit next month.

Call me if you would like to come and have a great Airstream time next month in Myrtle Beach, and the next month and the next month and the next month..............

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 06:14 AM   #63
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
The club is not open about the actual number of members we are losing. I only learned of it from this forum, and had to tally it from the Membership Directory - 2004 shows 7,546 member units, down 256 from the 7,802 member units in 2002. Members have a right to know what is happening and why it is happening.
That works out to a 3.28% drop in two years.

I'm curious ... what was the peak in membership and when?

And during that time .. what was Airstream's production numbers compared to today?

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 06:40 AM   #64
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

Well put Jack. My favorite point is that the folks that need to vote, no longer get the mag!

I know Ken has pointed out a few threads here to the "higher ups" and it was done recently. I also know from this forum that Brett is also active in this crusade as well.... so I'll be watching and waiting to see some body work done before I agree to take it off the lot again.

I think if the folks in the higher up positions could see what is posted on this forum, they would have little need to ask about it in the BB. This forum has a great cross section of owners.

I am very grateful that both sides are actually talking here and that it's gotten beyond just a few folks hashing it out. Although I am no longer a memeber, I look forward to seeing the club pass the baton as has been suggested is desired by the current admins....I have no vested interest in seeing any club with such a heritage fold up and blow away like dust.

In the end, time will tell how much change can be achieved, hopefully before it's too late. BTW, folks are right on about the VAC groups....they are some of the nicest most accepting folks around.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 06:54 AM   #65
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Arrow Topic

I agree with Eric, (Believe it or not), can we move the off topic (WBCCI) issues to their respective threads. May I suggest "WBCCI participation"?

Sure would be nice to keep the Blue Beret issue seperated from WBCCI.

The intent was to get the WBCCI to improve the Blue Beret and its delivery process.

But dont be mistaken, the WBCCI issues are good too and hopefully, the replies (all of them) will cause the WBCCI to improve and meet the needs of all Airstreamers.

"You can please some of the people some of the time but you cannot please all of the people all of the time".

It's all good,

Smily
Old 02-09-2004, 07:00 AM   #66
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Ears and eyes are open

I can assure you, WBCCI is paying attention to the forum.

It was not a complete overhaul but I believe some of the feedback has already had an impact on the WBCCI and the magazine.

As pointed out by others, this months Magazine was definitely different and the survey is certainly an indication of concern. Although the Survey was just posted, the WBCCI has been considering the issues and building its strategy for some time now as mentioned by Brett, (new Kid).

Hang in there.
Smily
Old 02-09-2004, 10:06 AM   #67
nds
3 Rivet Member

As a complete outsider to all of this, may I ask a few questions?

For those of you that join any RV Club, whether it's WBCCI, or an AS Vintage Club, or a club that allows all brands. What exactly are you looking to get out of that club? Organized rallies? Possible discounts from your clubs affiliation?

Not having ever been a member of any of these clubs, I would think the draw for me would be to know that there was a group of people with similar interests that I enjoyed getting together with for weekend get together's and maybe a week long outing during the summer.

From what I've seen as activities that some of the Regional WBCCI clubs list at their rallies, I wouldn't be too interested in attending. Not that they don't enjoy themselves, but they just don't seem to be of any interest to me.

Perhaps a possible solution would be for smaller spin-out groups or clubs to be created among the members of the larger Regional clubs that allow those of the same age group to get together on dates and at locations more suited for them, with activities more suited for them. Just a suggestion.
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 10:54 AM   #68
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Smaller clubs

That is precisely how it is currently set up.

There around twenty regions.

The regions are made up of many smaller units.
South Carolina has two units. Florida has many units. Georgia has many units, North Carolina has a couple of units, Virginia has several units etc.... These units are all part of Region 3. There will be one region activity a year, (typically). There will be one international event, but the small units will have many events. That is the part that I find appealing. You do not have to participate in any if you choose, and you can participate in all if you choose. One of the best attributes is that the events are organized. There is no running around and contacting everyone you know with a camper and trying to get it organized. Members of the unit take turns doing the organization. It is a give and receive concept, I feel it is more receive than give.

What I look for is exactly what you mentioned, people that like to camp often and have pretty much the same interest, (as far as camping). These units are very diversified with all walks of life.

Discounts is one of the perks but really not a signifigance. You can get discounts without being affiliated to any RV club.

The difference in the WBCCI and most other RV clubs is that they are exclusively Airstream. That pretty much assures a commonality that many find appealing but not necessarily required. The un-written requirement is to enjoy getting away from the stationary residence.

Smily
Old 02-09-2004, 11:22 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
New Members - 2nd Thoughts

Deb & I are new A/Sers and new WBCCI members. I (Ed) have been reading this thread with great interest. We have worked hard and long to get to this point in our lives. Joining the WBCCI was perceived as a vehicle to expand our enjoyment of this activity. After reading most of what I could find on this site (haven't used any other info source) re: the WBCCI, I must admit I have 2nd thoughts. We don't want to get into club 'politics', we just want to have some fun.

There is great polarization on this, and I am trying to weigh both sides. As posted earlier, we will be open minded. However, as much as I try not to, I can't help but feel a somewhat negitive bias before we even attend our 1st rally. I guess it's impossible to avoid 'second' agendas whenever people organize.

We are going to attend the Canton/Tyler State Park (Texas) non-rally, rally this month. Organized as a forum rally. We have been to many such fun and no agenda events with our Casita trailer (see previous post). At least we are getting out and meeting other Airstreamers for common fun and conversation. IMHO: Let's remember, that's what it is all about.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:31 AM   #70
nds
3 Rivet Member

Re: Smaller clubs

Kentucky has 2 units in region 5, if I read it correctly. One is the Kentucky Unit, the other is Western Kentucky (Land Bwtween the Lakes Unit).

The Kentucky Unit still has last year's schedule up:

Jan.-Nov., 1st Tuesday Dinner, 6 p.m., Piccadilly Cafe, 133 S. Hurstbourne Hwy,
of the month Louisville, KY.
April 30 - May 4 Derby Reunion Rally, Forks of Elkhorn CG, Frankfort, KY.
April 29 - May 17 Springtime in Kentucky Caravan.
May 30 - June 1 Buddy Rally, Bailey's Point Corp. of Engineer CG,
Barren River Lake, Glasgow,KY.
June 16 - 26 Seaway Caravan to International Rally.
July 24 - 27 Grandchildren Rally, Holiday World, Santa Claus, IN.
August 6 - 10 127 Yard Sale, David/Peggy Bishop, Russell Springs, KY.
October 6 - 16 Country Music Caravan.
October 16 - 19 Installation Rally, Jenny Wiley SP CG, Prestonslle, KY.
December 6 Christmas Luncheon, Noon, TBA.

Just reading this, lends me to believe that this is probably an older crowd (mid 60's and up). Grandchildren Rally?

If there were 10, 15 or more members in the 30 - 50 age range, then they could plan rallies that are more in line with their interests.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:36 AM   #71
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Grandparents

There are many granparents in the 40 to 60 age range.

A lot of them!

Smily
Old 02-09-2004, 11:44 AM   #72
nds
3 Rivet Member

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking or picking at the WBCCI. Only pointing out my view or interpretation of the club as I see it.

As many have pointed out, if you're not currently a member you're invited to attend a rally and decide for yourself if it addresses your needs or interests.

I'm just thinking if there was a way to break down sub-units in age groups, where people are more likely to have more common interests, it would help the WBCCI to attract more members.

Again, maybe I'm just not entirely understanding the way these clubs are set up.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:39 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally posted by nds
I'm just thinking if there was a way to break down sub-units in age groups, where people are more likely to have more common interests, it would help the WBCCI to attract more members.
Another excellent idea to improve the club! There really ought to be units for people in their 20s,30s, and 40s and a different unit for 50s, 60s, and 70s. Both units could join each other in activities but I think the interests are varied enough to warrant each group. There would be more interest from younger generations if they felt they were not the only ones in a unit.

If the WBCCI really is reading this thread, then they will get many great ideas. I wonder if it will have any effect? For instance, I have been told that people have tried over the years to change the date of International and have been totally rebuffed. (Oh, but it's Wally's B-day) So members have tried to change the club but flexibility from old ways is not always welcome?

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:48 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
I know by reading the many postings on this subject that AGE might be a major factor. However, I don't think it should be the primary factor in restructuring the club. I am in my 50s and I'll bet I can stay up with alot of 20 year olds. I run 35-40 miles (sub 7 min/mile) a week, bike, hike and kayak in the ocean. So, PLEASE don't put in the old gizzer rocking chair group.
rcaldwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:55 PM   #75
nds
3 Rivet Member

LOL!

The idea of age groups is just so people would know there are going to be people with similar interests. Apparently, you'd fit in well at one of the younger rallies.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:56 PM   #76
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
PGA

Kinda like the Tour huh?

When the seniors can no longer compete, they are ushered into the Senior Tour.

You may be onto something there, but I dont think segregation is conducive to the health of any club. I could be wrong, the Boy Scouts dont play with the Girl Scouts,(officially), but that is two seperate clubs is it not?

Well, one thing is certain, you can always make the recommendation for a Sub-unit when you go to nexts months meeting. Or you can send an email to www.WBCCI.org and ask them about sub-units.

One of the existing, successful, sub-units is the VAC.

Is your unit a Vintage?

Smily
Old 02-09-2004, 01:57 PM   #77
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I don't think actual dividing lines for the age groups making spin-offs is the way to go IMHO.

If you have rally plans that have something for a segment of your membership then the members that are interested will attend regardless of their "real" age. If your rallies have a varied length, or activities that appeal then you will have attendance. Period.

I am a firm believer in posting the information on rally plans as soon as is practical for the members to see so they can decide if what is slated interests them. We even added a line to the info we sent to Headquarters that gave a brief description of our rally and a main even we were doing, like our January Lighthouse tour.

Not to air dirty laundry, but I know the rally schedule for Sarasota has been pretty much set, but I have no idea what it is. I would like to have a chance to review it before I arrive so I can plan accordingly.

We have had visitors to every rally so far this rally season form other units. I think that is a sign that we are doing something right.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:10 PM   #78
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dee

Another excellent idea to improve the club! There really ought to be units for people in their 20s,30s, and 40s and a different unit for 50s, 60s, and 70s. Both units could join each other in activities but I think the interests are varied enough to warrant each group. There would be more interest from younger generations if they felt they were not the only ones in a unit.
Excellent idea! Our unit exists because it split off from a unit that didn't do anything. Our unit is getting long in the tooth now and it may be time for some younger folks to start a new unit in our area.

Get a group together (this forum is a good way to do it) and form your own unit. It isn't magic! It has been done more than once. Thirty years from now, some other "young'uns" will think you are too old and do the same.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:48 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

I avoided the Blue Beret threads because I have seen a copy and couldn't imagine anything productive to be posted about it.
But somehow I stumbled in and I have found all this to be fascinating. Nothing like a good free-for-all once in awhile.

There is so much I don't know about that saving or killing or taking over the WBCCI is the farthest thing from my interest for now.

Since so few of us actually know the demographics of the others on this forum and others, it is a bit difficult to put each opinion in context. I do know that when certain posters take to condescending remarks or telling others to "put a sock in it" or the like that. they lose much creditability with me. I hear that posters have been thrown out of this forum for far less.

I have tried to follow the thread and will continue to and sure as tomorrows dawn I will eventually have an opinion.
So what.

*Someone said there were a dozen threads on this or very similar subject. Is that on Blue Beret or on WBCCI philosophy and demise? It would be so helpful and forum-friendly if folks who make such statements would post a list of those links.

I don't mind running my own searches but what keyword should I use??
dissent, old geezers, WBCCI, BlueBeret, Carolina party animals, revolutionarys, mutiny, age discrimination, Wally world, 4th of July,
lawn chairs, wheel chairs, bocce ball, incontinence, medicare, or Soylent Green

In the meantime here are some terms that I have come across in this thread that I would appreciate someone defining for me.

Samboree

three point hitch

marquee club (as opposed to caravan club)

Quote:
Silvertwinkie said:
" 4) One last thing that I find funny above all else. This discussion has been going on for over a year now on this forum alone (as far as I can tell).......><=SNIP=><

5) This thread has gotten way off topic and should be split into one of the existing 12 other threads hashing out this problem. "
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 03:11 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Is this forum great or what???

I have really enjoyed this discussion. I know it has been discussed before but it is nice to continue it here. It is fascinating to watch how a club evolves, if it does.

Jaco-
Samboree = Good Sam RV Club's Rallies

3 point hitch??? But 3 point hook ups = sewer, elect, & water

Marquee Club = Club devoted to a brand, anything to do with it (club devoted to caravaning= caravan club)

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote