Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"Just exactly what part of the joke is the funny part anyway, just the use of a homonym?"

No, not really. That part of it is just an attention getter in a way. Effective though. I was sitting there fooling with my hearing aids that I have been trying to get repaired for a month and 3 trips to the audiologist and looking at the band aid on my finger and thinking about the plight of myself and fellow seniors in general, and that part of it seemed moderatly funny for a second (corny too) and fairly old.

Joke might make a good lead in for your senior AIDS awareness lecture.

Lot of bad things in the world. AIDS is certainly high on the list. Have a good friend whose son died of AIDS. Watched, and sometimes helped, her try to care for him and work her two jobs without anybody finding out about him and firing her. Do not see the butt of the joke as AIDS, but senior citizens with their accessories.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
"Just exactly what part of the joke is the funny part anyway, just the use of a homonym?"

No, not really. That part of it is just an attention getter in a way. Effective though. I was sitting there fooling with my hearing aids that I have been trying to get repaired for a month and 3 trips to the audiologist and looking at the band aid on my finger and thinking about the plight of myself and fellow seniors in general, and that part of it seemed moderatly funny for a second (corny too) and fairly old.

Joke might make a good lead in for your senior AIDS awareness lecture.

Lot of bad things in the world. AIDS is certainly high on the list. Have a good friend whose son died of AIDS. Watched, and sometimes helped, her try to care for him and work her two jobs without anybody finding out about him and firing her. Do not see the butt of the joke as AIDS, but senior citizens with their accessories.

I respect there will be many views on this. I don't anticipate debating any of those views. But in response to your statement "Do not see the butt of the joke as AIDS, but senior citizizens with their accessories." Maybe the closing statement in the article, "Not forgetting HIV - Hair is Vanishing". Come on, common references ... AIDS ... HIV ... it's in poor taste and quite honestly has nothing to do with Airstreams, camping, or WBCCI.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #23
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
We never read "What Airstream Women Want to Know" because it seems sexist plus it's for the June Cleavers of the "Leave It To Beaver" women crowd - essentially the majority of WBCCI women.
I agree that the "womans" section of the Blue Beret is no longer relevant and perceive it as sexist as well. These are the very stereo types that so many worked tirelessly to change and I am saddened to see them perpetuated month after month in the Blue Beret. It's embarrassing. That said, labeling WBCCI women as the 'leave it to beaver crowd' is also unfair. There are many female members who are the primary 'streamer in their household or the only one. I pay up every year and keep working for change... it's coming, but SOOOO slowly.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 09-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #24
Still wears a thong

I agree with Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Well, here goes the plunge in the deep end..

I though it was funny.

I do not see a problem with the joke. A lot less crude than the Tin Hut column in another Airstream publication.
I agree, crude don't describe him. You ought to try living with the old codger for 40 years like I have, then you'll see crude.

Mrs. Hut
Old 09-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
That said, labeling WBCCI women as the 'leave it to beaver crowd' is also unfair. There are many female members who are the primary 'streamer in their household or the only one. I pay up every year and keep working for change... it's coming, but SOOOO slowly.
Janet:

I said "essentially the majority of WBCCI women". I did not say all because I know there are many women in the WBCCI who are not like that. I don't want to offend those women in the WBCCI who are not like that.

This is the only club that I know of where you can be a grandparnet on a caravan and be considered the "youngins".

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Old 09-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
I Disagree with Mrs Hut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Tin Hut View Post
I agree, crude don't describe him. You ought to try living with the old codger for 40 years like I have, then you'll see crude.

Mrs. Hut
Mrs. Hut:

I can't agree with your statement about Mr. Hut. After his living with you for 40 years he has become what you have made him to be. He is not crude but authentic. Your visit to the Mr Ed convention had me laughing soo hard I was crying.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Old 09-14-2011, 05:09 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Everytime I open my email it is likely me or someone I know will be offended. I quit being so thin skinned a long time ago. I also don't believe in all the crap the politically correct crowd throws around either. There are lots of ugly things in this world - you better learn how to deal with them.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
Old 09-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Ribald, dirty or racy jokes fall into the same class as the joke in the Blue Beret. They are best told friend to friend where one knows they would not be offensive.

Two 70 somethings with hearing aids, walkers etc will view this joke from an entirely different angle that two 30 somethings. Their point of reference is just very different.

The trouble with broadcasting this joke to an unknown audience is that this type of joke can and will re open the wounds and memories of loss and pain to those who have lost family members or friends to this disease.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Being that I do not read the Blue Beret, I cannot comment, but I can and will say that the link Robert Cross posted is exactly how it is taught to us in Nursing School. To quote my teacher, "Nursing homes are full of STDs, and they don't just walk in off the street if you know what I mean." The decline in cognition, and the thought of, "Hey, I haven't gotten anything yet at my age," often contribute to this risky behavior.

I am sure the BB posting really doesn't say the same thing, and talk about sex in a camping publication really isn't proper.

Anyone have a link to the offending material? j/k
Old 09-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Here: blueberet

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Being that I do not read the Blue Beret, I cannot comment, but I can and will say that the link Robert Cross posted is exactly how it is taught to us in Nursing School. To quote my teacher, "Nursing homes are full of STDs, and they don't just walk in off the street if you know what I mean." The decline in cognition, and the thought of, "Hey, I haven't gotten anything yet at my age," often contribute to this risky behavior.

I am sure the BB posting really doesn't say the same thing, and talk about sex in a camping publication really isn't proper.

Anyone have a link to the offending material? j/k
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 09-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #31
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wow...those six lines are what this is about.

At my age...I feel like a new born baby...bald, no teeth, smell bad and in diapers....

At my age sex is hard...like trying to shoot pool with a rope.

Whats 40 feet long and smells like urine.....line dance nite at a WBCCI Rally.

No one is laughing AT anyone.

Bob
Old 09-14-2011, 10:02 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
To quote my teacher, "Nursing homes are full of STDs, and they don't just walk in off the street if you know what I mean." The decline in cognition, and the thought of, "Hey, I haven't gotten anything yet at my age," often contribute to this risky behavior.
I worked at our county's long term medical care facility, aka nursing home. I have also worked with seniors in home care quite awhile. Respect for the individual is of paramount priority. And there are concerns in regard to seniors passing disease to other seniors. They just don't realize there is a risk involved. I also think Goin Camping stated the issue very well of knowing one's audience.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:56 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Blown out of proportion by the PC police and those looking to find fault with th WBCCI. jim
Old 09-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Having to belittle and ascribe other motives and make accusations to justify not thinking a joke about a deadly pandemic disease isn't funny is way off the mark and the point of this thread. It isn't about WBCCI, and it isn't about the posters. If you think it's funny laugh all you want. Enjoy yourself heartily. You might want to watch the People of Wal-Mart for some more kicks. There's a lot of humor in the world. Pick your poison and I'll pick mine. Viva La Difference, and I'm ever so grateful that there is a difference between us.

I think the club's issues are best addressed in separate threads but thanks for sniping. It shows you really care.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
This thread is about the WBCCI and the BB , look at the first post. It's just about as funny as all the old-age comments from some on this forum about the older WBCCI members and their lifestyles. jim
Old 09-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Yes and no. It is the treatment and sensitive subject matter of the joke that is at the center of the issue. It would have garnered similar reactions whether it was seen in the BB or another organizational publication that one might be a member of. People tend to want their organizations to represent and resemble their fundamental belief system or at the very least not to be in abject opposition to what one holds as a core value. It definitely struck a nerve and sent up flags for many who have responded. To vent that dissatisfaction and lodge a complaint could be seen as proactive and a desire to improve the club's image and interaction with its membership for increased satisfaction. A customer service employee or PR person would really come in handy in a situation like this.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:08 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
Ok, normally I wouldn't bother to comment but-- OP-- did you read the complete "joke" or just see the part about AIDS and stop? The "joke" continued with-- walking aids (canes) hearing aids--- etc. It did not say or mean AIDS the deadly disease.
the word aid(s) has been around for a lot of years and can not be used only to denote the disease.
If, in the joke, an ' was added to change aids to aids' or aid's would have changed the whole preseption of the word and it's meaning ?
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
Old 09-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by macofpei View Post
Ok, normally I wouldn't bother to comment but-- OP-- did you read the complete "joke" or just see the part about AIDS and stop? The "joke" continued with-- walking aids (canes) hearing aids--- etc. It did not say or mean AIDS the deadly disease.
the word aid(s) has been around for a lot of years and can not be used only to denote the disease.
If, in the joke, an ' was added to change aids to aids' or aid's would have changed the whole preseption of the word and it's meaning ?
Your argument would fly had they spelt it "aids" and not "AIDS". Their use of "HIV" in the joke also adds less credence to your argument. The content of the BB alone has been enough reason for me to not join the organization.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Charlottetown , Canada
keep shaking my head

hard to believe the author of the article thought that was funny. Geez, maybe she should take a trip to a cancer unit with people dying....I'm sure there are some funny antidokes there she could use!
Old 09-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Hatboro , Pennsylvania
I wont be able to sleep tonight after reading it
Closed Thread