Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2004, 03:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Blue Beret Discouraged

I read my new issue of the Blue Beret today. WBCCI just doesn't seem to get it. A few thoughts:
  • I wanted to attend the Region 12 Rally. All set to send in the coupon and I see that it's $145 rally fee. Well, I am a working stiff and would only be able to come for Friday & Saturday night. That's $145 for two nights? I don't think so. OK, so they make no provision for working/family members on the coupon. Very discouraging.
  • ALL of the coupons in the Blue Beret have only fees for attending the FULL 5-7 day rallies. No provision for paying by day. EXCEPT for Region 5/Indianna Unit's coupon. They are the only unit to offer pay by day and seperate the fees: parking, rally, and banquet.
  • There are very few email addresses on the coupons. Most communication is by snail mail. Another clue as to the demos of the club. And it discourages me from attending the Region 12 Rally if I can't ask questions about fees by email.
  • The Region 12 Rally has a Halloween theme, with a costume parade. Now I assume since they make no provision for working families that this will be seniors walking the loop in costumes? I don't know what to make of that. Will they be trick-or-treating? Yikes!
  • Maybe I'll stick to Forum Rallies, which are really my cup of tea. What do I need my WBCCI membership for, then?
  • Look at that group picture on the inside back cover. Nice folks I am sure, but it looks like an AARP picnic.
  • And finally, big news in the Blue Beret. The opening ceremonies of the International were not long enough. They have added the Canadian military anthem. Now, how many anthems is that?

Anybody on this Forum attending the Region 12 Rally?

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 05:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Smile In full agreement

The WBCCI is not doing a lot to encourage working members to come to rallys.. I know they would like more of us BUT the fee schedule for ALL rallies does not reflect that. This is one issue we will be asking about at our spring rally next w/e. Annie
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 07:00 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Exclamation Region 3!

Region 3 rally was offering an adjusted fee schedule based on the number on nights, as well as if you were camping or just daytiming it. And I believe there are others. So at least some of the regions are making adjsudtments for us working stiffs Now if I could just figure how to get more than a one day weekend....

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 08:05 PM   #4
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
Send a message via Yahoo to plowboy
I agree! We were talking about attending the regeon 12 rally also, but after hearing about the cost, I guess not. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't seem like the units back east seem to be more family/working stiff oriented. In all fairness our unit had a rally this past weekend which we had paid for and were not able to attend due to mechanical failure (no lights and no brakes/ got the lights working but I need help figuring out the brakes )
We just received a check back for most of the fees. Kudos to all you rally hosts out there (especially th El Camino Real unit )

So where is the Northern California Rally being held ?

Paul
plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:28 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Two years ago we had to leave the Region 7 Rally early for a family wedding. Our region adjusted the fee to reflect our leaving early even though we did not request it.

Larry Ruebel
Bismarck ND
WBCCI# 10081
Ruebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 06:25 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

The unit I belong to always prorates the rally according to how many nights and how many meals you eat.This is a big plus for workin stiffs like us. I would encourage other units to do the same.
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 06:42 AM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Likewise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71tradewind
The unit I belong to always prorates the rally according to how many nights and how many meals you eat.This is a big plus for workin stiffs like us. I would encourage other units to do the same.
Our unit does the same. After breakfast on Saturday morning, the treasurer holds court and has a calculated amount for each rig. Those leaving early settle up with him before they pull out. It is a simple calculation for the treasurer based on days attended. At most rallies, there is at least one rig that can not attend for the full time.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 11:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
Our unit does the same. After breakfast on Saturday morning, the treasurer holds court and has a calculated amount for each rig. Those leaving early settle up with him before they pull out. It is a simple calculation for the treasurer based on days attended. At most rallies, there is at least one rig that can not attend for the full time.
If they made it more attractive to working members, then they would have a lot more rigs coming for weekends, not just the occassional one. And why do I have to put up $145 if I know I will be there only the last two days? And hope they find me to give me my refund on the last day.

The rally policies just don't encourage working people to attend. It's just lookin' like the WBCCI is not for me. At this point, I will not renew.

Come rally with us.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:42 PM   #9
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
The Truth

Nothing could be farther fronm the truth here in the east.

We pro rate ALL rallies as in R3 that is going on right now. Our units to include most of the region 3 have a good mix of age groups.

You all know my position, which is why I write the articels . All of my articles are based on actual cases.

Sorry to hear that your Region is not up to todays standards. I bet if you do actually talk the sponsor or host, you will be able to get a pro-rated rate.

It really sounds like the case is that they are not catering to you and it is not falling onto place.
Put a little more effort into it instead of complaining to the forum.

Some people keep losing site of the fact it is ALL VOLUNTEER. Having snail mail provides connectivity for EVERYONE, not just those of us who are PC savvy. You gotta be willing to share the floor with all age groups not just ours.

In time there will be no more seniors that are not PC savvy. Be patient.

Oh!, by the way, how many emails did you write to the WBCCI and the Blue Beret, (who do have email addresses), with these same complaints?

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 01:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by smily
Nothing could be farther fronm the truth here in the east.

We pro rate ALL rallies as in R3 that is going on right now. Our units to include most of the region 3 have a good mix of age groups.

You all know my position, which is why I write the articels . All of my articles are based on actual cases.

Sorry to hear that your Region is not up to todays standards. I bet if you do actually talk the sponsor or host, you will be able to get a pro-rated rate.

It really sounds like the case is that they are not catering to you and it is not falling onto place.

Some people keep losing site of the fact it is ALL VOLUNTEER. Having snail mail provides connectivity for EVERYONE, not just those of us who are PC savvy. You gotta be willing to share the floor with all age groups not just ours.

Oh!, by the way, how many emails did you write to the WBCCI and the Blue Beret, (who do have email addresses), with these same complaints?
Smily
Jeez Ken, in your attacking defense of WBCCI, I would say you lose more than gain. It's a turn off and makes me want to be a part of this group even less. I wasn't complaining as much as making observations. If this group wants to be oriented to Seniors, then that's their right. And I don't want anybody to "cater" to me.

I see your R3 rally coupon has accommadations for working families but the price is $190. Wow! That's two days for $190? Wow! That's pretty spendy for families on tight budgets.

The group that fits me is this Forum. Jack's Forum Rallies are what I am looking for in a rally- make your own reservation, no fee and it's informal with a few organized activites. So CoastalView and I are going to plan one for this Fall in Monterey. And everyone is invited, WBCCI member or not. Now that is my cup of tea.

Come rally with us.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:36 PM   #11
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
BigDee,
Monterey?
I'm in!
Old 05-16-2004, 01:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Uwe,

Looks like Laguna Seca in October. Can't beat Monterey Bay in October. I will shore up the dates this week and post 'em. Look for the thread. How many can we get to attend?

Come rally with us.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:58 PM   #13

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dee
The group that fits me is this Forum. Jack's Forum Rallies are what I am looking for in a rally- make your own reservation, no fee and it's informal with a few organized activites. So CoastalView and I are going to plan one for this Fall in Monterey. And everyone is invited, WBCCI member or not. Now that is my cup of tea.
I just got an email from the 2nd VP of our WBCCI unit here in STL. He asked me if I would be willing to put on an "Airstream Forums" style rally next year for the local unit. I'm flattered!

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 03:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Jack,

How about JCCCI (Jack Canavera's Casual Caravanners International)?

We could wear beanies with propellors to distinguish ourselves.

Another feature of the organization is no breakfast before 1pm

Where do I send my membership?

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 03:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I'm member #3

OK, Jack, when is the JCCCI International Rally?

Come rally with us.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Congratulations, Jack! WBCCI must be watching and seeing the growth this year in the Moraine View gathering. For sure, your invitation to this casual meeting fits the two of us much more than anything we have read in the Blue Beret. However, I'll keep the membership in the WBCCI for two reasons: 1) I like the big red numbers that are part of the history of our AS (!), and 2) I like supporting something that is part of the history of Airstreaming in general, although we personally could not stand one of those big rallies! WBCCI is part of the AS mistique to me, strange as that may seem, so we'll support it with our membership and hope some active senior WBCCI Airstreamer enjoys the value of our dollar!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 05:49 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
[QUOTE=smily]

------------------------------------------------------------
Hmmm. Excuse me? Who is bemoaning the lose of members and/or the lack of new members? And trolling for NEW members?
How much work should I have to do to not only be a member but be able to take part in all offered activities?
-------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------
I do business, volunteer and commericial, all over the world. All the organizations I currently am active in use many methods of communication. In todays world, we use email, phone, fax, and back it up with snail mail. This makes it quick and easy to get the job done, and respond timely to questions. If an officer or chair does not have a pc or email, we 'loan' an address to that person to use.
If you insist on soley communicating via USPS, be prepared to see your numbers fall even lower.
Want members? Tailor the organization to the demographics of the those you are seeking to entice into joining. YOU change, you don't exect THEM to change to join you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah. And??????
----------------------------
-----------------------------
Well, did get a phone number to contact the local unit. After leaving three messages with two different people, I decided anything I had to chase that hard was too much effort; I have a life, I have a family, I have friends, and of course my dogs and volunteer activities. You either want me for a member and make an effort to recruit me (how's that for a concept- recruit!) or........ you don't!
Is this where I should quote the old Groucho Marx bon mot? At least I think it was Groucho...... Any group that would have me I don't want to join, he purportedly said as he was invited to join a golf club.....

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 05-16-2004, 07:25 PM   #18
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Its a shame really. There is a huge potential member pool out there.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 07:36 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Wbcci?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
After breakfast on Saturday morning, the treasurer holds court .
This Comment ALONE would keep me from joining the WBCCI. I STILL haven't seen or heard any reason to join the WBCCI. Although I haven't had the good fortune to meet Jack yet...He may have a few things to say that change my mind.

But for now, I say the JCCCI starts crashing the WBCCI Rally's! With Beanie Propellers a twirlin' !!!!

Do you think the WBCCI would get the point then????
Old 05-17-2004, 07:49 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Personally, I would prefer Stetsons.
If we are going to be the bad boys, we might as well wear the hats....
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote