Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
An Around-the-World Airstream is Being Destroyed!!!

ARRRGGGHHHH! I just found that one of the Airstreams from the Around-the-World Caravan is now in the UK and has had all of it's originality and history stripped from it. You can find it for sale here:
American Vintage Trailers imported from USA for sale in UK

Look at the 2nd ad . . . for the 1963 Airstream:
Quote:
1963 26ft Airstream Overlander
This trailer has just been gutted, interior has been re-skinned in aluminium, new flooring and has had a brand new UK chassis. Ready for your conversion into an Office, Catering Unit, Den or to any spec required.
Price GB£12,500

Please contact Miss Sarah-Jane for further details.
Sorry the photos didn't copy along with the text (so I attached a couple of the photos below), but when you look at the photos you will see this trailer has WBCCI #7667 on it. That trailer was the 1963 Airstream that was for sale on eBay in August 2006 along with the original Ford Pickup that towed it on the Around-the-World Caravan. It was taken on the Around-the-World Caravan by Roy and Evelyn Landis of Evanston, Ill. It has now been gutted and very non-original restoration job started. This trailer needs to be documented somehow before all evidence linking it to the Around-the-World Caravan is polished off. I wonder what happened to the pickup.

I hate it when bad things happen to good Airstreams!

AARRRGGGHHHH!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1963-26ft-airstream-overlander-933b.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	73493   Click image for larger version

Name:	1963-26ft-airstream-overlander-937b.jpg
Views:	1096
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	73494  

WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
I went back and found the paper copy of the August 2006 eBay auction for this trailer and scanned it into my computer so that I can post it here. I wish I had saved the eBay page and photos electronically to my computer at that time, but I did not do so, so this is all there is.

I scoured the eBay scans and cannot see the WBCCI numbers clearly in the old eBay small photos, but did see a dark dot on the front streetside curved panel in one of them. That dark spot is exactly where the small square patch is in the current photo I posted above. I am pretty sure this is the same trailer.

What I can't figure out is how a trailer that was clearly advertized for it's historic significance could be heartlessly gutted to turn it into a mobile office.

Certainly there would have been cheaper Airstreams to be had for this purpose. If my memory serves correctly, this trailer and tow vehicle had a reserve of $10,000, but it did not meet reserve and it was to my knowledge never relisted.

I can't believe the 2nd owners sold it like this. I bet they would be heartbroken to know what happened to it. The Landis' are turning over in their graves I'm sure.

It's just so sad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7667 eBay Page 1 150dpi.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	73498   Click image for larger version

Name:	7667 eBay Page 2 150dpi.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	73499  

Name:	7667 eBay Page 3 150dpi.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	73500  
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 01-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Sorry Joe, to far to go to get that one, and the wife would kill me....
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Another piece of Airstream history gone....
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
I have written to the person selling the trailer trying to get more information about it and how they came to own it. And I'd really like to get some photos of the trailer before the renovation started.

Until proven otherwise, I will assume that the current owner may not know the history of the trailer and may not have been the one to export it from California to the UK and may not have been the one to start the renovation.

I guess time will tell if I get a response that at least allows me to document this trailer a little better for the sake of posterity. I'm glad I found it before the WBCCI numbers were polished off turning it into a totally anonymous 1963 Overlander. I must say I was totally shocked to accidentally discover it in the UK. I was sure that someone in the U.S. that would value it's history had ended up with it after the eBay auction. I had attempted to contact the eBay seller more than once to learn more about the trailer and who bought it. I guess I now know why he rever returned my emails.

It's just unfortunate that at this time there are only 4 documented surviving trailers from the Around-the-World Caravan, and this has to happen to one of them. I'm sure more will eventually turn up, but some may have already been exported, polished (removing the WBCCI numbers), or otherwise refurbished and may never again be able to be identified as a survivor.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 01-08-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
ARRRGGGHHHH!
Triple dog ARRRGGGHHHH

My memory may be off but I think there was another coach from the ATW caravan that sold on ebay a couple of years ago. I remember a photo on ebay that had the countries/cities painted on the side as people did back in the day. Anyone else remember? Or is this the same one? Anyone know of others?

If that is so, then there are 4 venerable survivors that I know of:
1. The Bee trailer there is a current thread about
2. The 62 Ambassador I have, originally #6472 owned by the Ross' (see my thread "Did I find a 62 from a world caravan"
3 This Overlander
4. The other ebay coach, above
Old 01-08-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Landis 7667

Many Airstreams on longer overseas trips were left behind by the owners. (Sold of course!)

The Landis family probably sold it in Europe, or they shipped to England to travel through the Isles.

Maybe they left it in Europe to use.

Whatever the scenario it is now in England.

With Airstreams being sold in England and Europe the ever increasing icon of Airstream grows and grows.

It is logical if someone has a road weary Airstream from the ATW Caravan that is on the block to bring the best use of the "icon status."

The overseas view of this particular is certainly the opposite of ours and in particular the VAC group.

A comedy icon, Phyllis Diller, also had makeovers...but she kept the show going on.
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I hope I am correct on this one but I think the trailer in the top two early restoration pictures don't identify this as the trailer in the Ebay ad. The reason for my thinking on this one is based on two specific photos. The rear facing interior pictures of the early restoration showing the interior rear window. It clearly shows an outlet or receptacle next to the upper right of the window about 8 to 10 inches away from the frame. The second photo is from the Ebay ad showing the bathroom cabinet and the lower section of the window which shows an outlet or receptacle next to the bottom right of the window. Hard to tell with the curtains in place how far it is from the window frame but it is clearly there. The first mentioned photo shows, as best as I can tell, the original interior skin. Plus, there are cords coming in through the skin on the restoration photo above where the tub would have been and the factory would never put any power outlets or connections above a tub/shower.

The 4774 number could certainly been re-issued as it is a low four digit number, which WBCCI has been re-issuing for some time now. I don't think they're one and the same trailer.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Many Airstreams on longer overseas trips were left behind by the owners. (Sold of course!)

The Landis family probably sold it in Europe, or they shipped to England to travel through the Isles.

Maybe they left it in Europe to use.

Whatever the scenario it is now in England.
PeeWee,
I don't doubt that some Airstreams may have been sold in Europe at the end of the Around-the-World Caravan. (I wish I knew which ones.) But this is not one of them. In August 2006 it was in Monrovia, California and was being sold by the reputed 2nd owners who had owned it since at least 1998 and had visited 8 states with it. And this history of this trailer was noted when it was for sale in 2006, it was not an unknown survivor whose provenance was lost over the years.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 01-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Triple dog ARRRGGGHHHH

My memory may be off but I think there was another coach from the ATW caravan that sold on ebay a couple of years ago. I remember a photo on ebay that had the countries/cities painted on the side as people did back in the day. Anyone else remember? Or is this the same one? Anyone know of others?

If that is so, then there are 4 venerable survivors that I know of:
1. The Bee trailer there is a current thread about
2. The 62 Ambassador I have, originally #6472 owned by the Ross' (see my thread "Did I find a 62 from a world caravan"
3 This Overlander
4. The other ebay coach, above
I am aware of one other Airstream from the Around the World Caravan that was sold on eBay in early 2005 - #5289 a 1962 26' Overlander: Around the World Overlander

So here are the Trailers from the Around-the-World Caravan that I can account for:
#120 - Burned to the ground at a gas station in India during the Caravan.
#4032 - Destroyed in an traffic accident in Delhi, India during the Caravan.
#5232 - Destroyed in a traffic accident in Kansas after returning to the United Sates after the Caravan.
#5289 - 1962 26 Overlander currently in Florida, see Blog above.
#6472 - 1962 28' Ambassador, currently in New Mexico (yours).
#7667 - 1963 26' Overlander, gutted with new frame and interior skin, currently somewhere in the UK.
#8671 - 1963 22' Safari, currently being restored in Washington state.

If anyone knows of any more, please let me know. Thanks!
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 01-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Airstream in Kenya 1959

Quote:
PeeWee,
I don't doubt that some Airstreams may have been sold in Europe at the end of the Around-the-World Caravan. (I wish I knew which ones.) But this is not one of them. In August 2006 it was in Monrovia, California and was being sold by the reputed 2nd owners who had owned it since at least 1998 and had visited 8 states with it. And this history of this trailer was noted when it was for sale in 2006, it was not an unknown survivor whose provenance was lost over the years.
Joe,

Thank you for your info.

I wonder if the Airstream that was sold to William Holden is still at his treetop hotel?

Dr. Reiger left our Caravan in Kenya, and sold his trailer.

I wonder?

Pee Wee
Old 01-08-2009, 07:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
I hope I am correct on this one but I think the trailer in the top two early restoration pictures don't identify this as the trailer in the Ebay ad. The reason for my thinking on this one is based on two specific photos. The rear facing interior pictures of the early restoration showing the interior rear window. It clearly shows an outlet or receptacle next to the upper right of the window about 8 to 10 inches away from the frame. The second photo is from the Ebay ad showing the bathroom cabinet and the lower section of the window which shows an outlet or receptacle next to the bottom right of the window. Hard to tell with the curtains in place how far it is from the window frame but it is clearly there. The first mentioned photo shows, as best as I can tell, the original interior skin. Plus, there are cords coming in through the skin on the restoration photo above where the tub would have been and the factory would never put any power outlets or connections above a tub/shower.

The 4774 number could certainly been re-issued as it is a low four digit number, which WBCCI has been re-issuing for some time now. I don't think they're one and the same trailer.

Brad
FF
I wish you were correct, but from what I have been able to study of the tiny scanned eBay auction photos I posted and the current for sale photos, I think it is the same trailer. As for the bathroom outlet, the full interior skins have been replaced, except for the fiberglass interior upper end caps and I think that outlet was on one of the lower inner skins that have been replaced. Quite frankly, given the photo's I have, that spot/patch on the left front corner is the most distinguishing mark I can find.

But to this I add what may be considered circumstantial evidence:

1. We know #7667 was a 1963 Overlander and that is was for sale in Monrovia, CA in 2006 and that the seller was the reputed 2nd owner and had owned it at least since 1998, probably much longer.

2. We know the trailer for sale in the UK is a 1963 Overlander and it currently sports extremely old WBCCI numbers of 7667 on it.

3. The original WBCCI members with number 7667 were still listed in the directory in 1981, but were not listed in 1988, so they remained in the club under their original numbers for a very long time. By 1981 they had moved to Los Angeles, California. (Monrovia is a suburb of Los Angeles.),

4. In 1989, #7667 had been reassigned to someone in Pennsylvania, but by 1991 they were no longer listed and the numbers 7667 appear not to have been used since. I doubt the Pennsylvania people ever owned this 1963 Overlander. Chances that they owned another 1963 Overlander are probably very small.

Given this it is very, very unlikey that there are two 1963 Overlanders that ever the numbers 7667 applied to them.

Maybe not good enough for a paternity test, but good enough for me unless someone has other evidence to present. Sad, but (in my eyes) true.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 01-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Joe,

Thank you for your info.

I wonder if the Airstream that was sold to William Holden is still at his treetop hotel?

Dr. Reiger left our Caravan in Kenya, and sold his trailer.

I wonder?

Pee Wee
Thanks, as always, for the first hand information from this caravan.

Was a trailer sold to William Holden while still in Africa? If so, do you know whose trailer it was?

As for Dr. Reiger's trailer, according to other photo's you have posted on the Sierra Nevada web site (can't find the link at the moment), I though he signed the guest book at the end of the caravan? Did he (minus trailer) rejoin just for that event?
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 01-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Reiger finished the Caravan

Quote:
Thanks, as always, for the first hand information from this caravan.

Was a trailer sold to William Holden while still in Africa? If so, do you know whose trailer it was?

As for Dr. Reiger's trailer, according to other photo's you have posted on the Sierra Nevada web site (can't find the link at the moment), I though he signed the guest book at the end of the caravan? Did he (minus trailer) rejoin just for that event?
Correct it was not Dr. Reiger. I can't pin the sale to a name. We had five doctors with us on the Caravan.

Dr. Monroe and Dr. Reiger made it to Cairo.

The three doctors unaccounted for on the Cairo farewell banquet are Dr. La France, Dr. Bingham and Dr. L. Miller.

I believe either La France or Bingham may had sold their trailer to William Holden.

If you need the address to the history section of the Sierra Neveda Unit, here it is.

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/memories/history/peewee/index.html

I have called several members of the African Caravan to day and could not verify a sale or a doctor's name. My two calls were to former children traveling with their parents, they were 15 years old at the time.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:09 PM   #15

1963 26' Overlander
1963 26' Overlander
chichester , west sussex
i have taken on 7667,

Quote:
I am aware of one other Airstream from the Around the World Caravan that was sold on eBay in early 2005 - #5289 a 1962 26' Overlander: Around the World Overlander

So here are the Trailers from the Around-the-World Caravan that I can account for:
#120 - Burned to the ground at a gas station in India during the Caravan.
#4032 - Destroyed in an traffic accident in Delhi, India during the Caravan.
#5232 - Destroyed in a traffic accident in Kansas after returning to the United Sates after the Caravan.
#5289 - 1962 26 Overlander currently in Florida, see Blog above.
#6472 - 1962 28' Ambassador, currently in New Mexico (yours).
#7667 - 1963 26' Overlander, gutted with new frame and interior skin, currently somewhere in the UK.
#8671 - 1963 22' Safari, currently being restored in Washington state.

If anyone knows of any more, please let me know. Thanks!
help since i have looked on the web 7667 seems to have quite a history, if it is the same one? any old photos welcome
parker7667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Congratulations on the purchase. I'm sure there are photos around. We're just starting a restoration on 8671 and many of the forums members have had amazing amounts of photos and history. Love to see some pictures of what you have to start with.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker7667 View Post
help since i have looked on the web 7667 seems to have quite a history, if it is the same one? any old photos welcome
Parker7667, I just sent you an email, so take a look for it and reply that way if you'd like. I am in the process of writing an article about all of the surviving trailers from the Around the World Caravan for the Vintage Airstream Club Newsletter. My story is due to be submitted by the end of January, so time is a bit short.

I was only able to exchange one email with Miss Sarah-Jane regarding this trailer before she apparently sold it to you and I have not heard back from her since. I'd love the opportunity to find out more about you, the current condition of the trailer, and your plans for it. I would be more than happy to help you research the history of the trailer as best I can, although I do not know too much at this time. Please contact me at your earliest convenience. Thanks.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 03-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Regarding 7667, I found it interesting that the original owners -- Roy and Evelyn Landis of Evanston, IL -- lived just a block from where we now live. I looked for any traces of them online.... and found one reference to a 92 year old Evelyn Landis of Evanston, IL.

I suspect this hint of a positive ID was generated to get me to pay $15 for a USSearch.com membership, which I declined.

But out of curiosity I will be taking a stroll past their old home at 118 Keeney... on the one-in-a-million chance it still says Landis on the buzzer. If by some chance she is still with us, how fun would it be to pull up in front of her place with our '62 - perhaps sit inside for a cup of tea and ask her countless questions about her trip!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	118.keeney.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	582.0 KB
ID:	77162  
Old 03-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post
Regarding 7667, I found it interesting that the original owners -- Roy and Evelyn Landis of Evanston, IL -- lived just a block from where we now live. I looked for any traces of them online.... and found one reference to a 92 year old Evelyn Landis of Evanston, IL.

I suspect this hint of a positive ID was generated to get me to pay $15 for a USSearch.com membership, which I declined.

But out of curiosity I will be taking a stroll past their old home at 118 Keeney... on the one-in-a-million chance it still says Landis on the buzzer. If by some chance she is still with us, how fun would it be to pull up in front of her place with our '62 - perhaps sit inside for a cup of tea and ask her countless questions about her trip!
I actually talked to the 2nd Owner of 7667 from Monrovia California by phone a couple of weeks ago. He bought it from the son of the original owner in California in the late 80's or early 90's, and he was even in WBCCI under #7667 for one year in the early 90's. He was the one that sold it on eBay when it went to England.

I doubt that a 92 year old Evelyn Landis in or around Chicago would be the same one unless she divorced he husband before he moved to California (which was some time before 1981). But you never know, she could still be a relative. Keep up the sleuthing.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 06-24-2011, 02:41 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
barnehurst , Kent. UK
Hi Joe,That's it. I only briefly looked at the article and was going to go back to it but couldn't find it.
I haven't bought it, I wanted to know who had it over here, [ I didn't realise how old the article was] I do know who Sarah Jane is. I think it's a crying shame that something with that kind of history has been gutted out
However rough it was inside anything can be restored.
What happened to the truck?
Thanks again
Keith
keith53 is offline   Reply With Quote