Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #61
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The magic number is the number. 87 in this case would be required to vote yes.

If the votes come in early, it passes early...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #62
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
When?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
The one year clock will start shortly. Please notify your Unit Presidents to be attentive to the letter and motion that will be sent to them. I've known Unit Presidents that don't open or read the letters they get. So, remind them!
Any idea when we should be expecting this letter?

Thanks,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Any idea when we should be expecting this letter? Thanks, Nuvi
That's a good question. The one year clock starts when the letters are distributed, but there isn't anything in the bylaws that require the mailing to take place within any particular time period, only that the motion is to be reviewed and commented on by the Constitution and Bylaws Committee first. It's possible they might drag that out for an unreasonable amount of time, but certainly the mailing should happen no later than a week or so after the mid-winter IBT meeting.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:57 AM   #64
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Forrest,

Thanks. Will be looking for it, but won't hold my breath.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
A Letter to All WBCCI Members and Officers

Betraying Good-faith Actions

Tennessee Williams said, “We have to distrust each other. It is our only defense against betrayal.”

At some point in their tenure every International President has written that the Units and their members are the most important elements of the Club. Current President Norm Beu recently stated, “participation is the key.” Immediate Past President Tom Collier urged members, “to put your ideas for change in motion form, present the motion to your unit, and if you [sic] unit approves the motion, send the motion to your Region President.” Past President Jerry Larson reminded us that, “This club was formed with the understanding and purpose that our Units would be the foundation on which we operate. It is only through the Unit that our Constitution may be changed.” Stated most notably though was Past President Don Shafer's letter, “The Silent Majority” (as published in the Blue Beret, President's Corner, May 2007), “We believe that the HEART of our organization is the Units. Collectively they express their goals for the Club.”

In that light, all the Units comprising Region 11 recently passed a motion to amend the WBCCI Constitution. Prior to that, the proposal was posted and informally discussed beginning December 18, 2009 on both the WBCCI Member Forum and Airforums. Officially, the Motion was published February 2010 and June 2010 in the Denver Colorado Unit newsletters. After prolonged debate and discussion, DENCO voted and passed the motion at its May 2010 business meeting. This was done with then Region 11 President, Janie Lichtfuss, herself a certified parliamentarian, present. Afterward, DENCO's Recording Secretary sent a formal certified letter to President Lichtfuss, providing her with the final wording of the motion, the results of the vote and requesting that it be disseminated to all the Units in Region 11 for them to debate and vote on.

The DENCO newsletter is sent to every Unit President in Region 11, the Region 11 President, and WBCCI HQ (for distribution to International Officers). In total, all Region 11 Unit Presidents were given notice of this motion three times – twice from the DENCO Newsletter and once from the Region 11 President. Minutes and announcements become “official” when published in a Unit’s newsletter. So, the fact that prior notification was made to all Units is a matter of record.

Subsequently, by October 11th, those Units also voted and passed the motion. Per instructions from WBCCI Corporate Manager, Cindy Reed, all Units sent letters (both by USPS and Email) certifying the results to current Region 11 President, Dan Neumarkel, and he, in turn, sent the motion and his letter of certification to WBCCI Headquarters.

All of this, done in good faith, to comply with Article XVI, Sections 1 and 3, of the WBCCI Constitution. Also acting in compliance with those requirements, Headquarters in turn sent the motion and the letters of certification to the Chairman of the Constitution and Bylaws Committee, Past International President, Don Shafer.

AND THERE the motion remains, Chairman Shafer stating, in Emails to Region President Neumarkel, that he, “cannot in good conscience make comment on [the] proposed amendment and allow it to go forward.” Since, in his “opinion,” the, “maker of the motion did not follow the procedures as listed in the WBCCI Constitution.” His, “biggest concern, however, is the motion itself and the need for it... If the originators of the motion could explain to me the importance of the 'Bylaws' portion of their motion, I could better help them to redo their motion to accomplish their purpose if valid. As of now, I consider the motion as unnecessary.”

The Units of Region 11 voted unanimously in favor of the motion, because they see its necessity, and in so doing, collectively expressed their members will and “goals for the Club.” No one is asking Chairman Shafer to share their vision. All that is asked is for he and his committee to do their duty (as required by the Constitution and Bylaws) and return the motion with their letter of recommendation to HQ so that it can be distributed to all the other Units in the Club.

The purpose of this letter is not to defend the motion. We feel it and its rationale speak for itself. What is of greater importance is that the members good faith actions not be undermined and thwarted by, what is certainly seen by some as, an entrenched autocracy. In that regard, the motion is secondary. Region 11 is perfectly willing to accept whatever the outcome of a vote might be, but it rejects the idea that the members do not get to vote.

International Treasurer, Bob Moss, wrote President Beu, “I cannot understand how the Chairman of the Constitution & Bylaws Committee has the power to stop something from going forward, when a region jumped through all the hoops of the Blue Book and had their motion approved by an entire region.” In correspondence with Region President Neumarkel, he wrote, “I still am of the opinion that the C&BL chairman has only the right to give his opinion on the motion and pass it along... If the members feel it is improper... then it will fail, if on the other hand it passes then the Club will deal with the new rule.”

Region President Neumarkel intends to make a motion at the 2011 Mid-Winter IBT meeting requiring the C&BC to provide a letter of recommendation (good, bad or indifferent) to HQ. However, there are already indications that his motion will be ruled out of order. Wrote International Parliamentarian, Dona Garner, “This motion, however, is improper since the date of March 20, 2010 [sic] is still in the future and the Constitution and Bylaws Committee has until that time to write their report on any Constitutional amendment that they receive.”

That date, March 20, is only a deadline and does not prevent the committee from issuing a more timely report, especially since they will likely meet at the Mid-Winter IBT. Besides, the point is that Chairman Shafer has indicated there will be no report - period. Without it, Region 11's motion to amend the WBCCI Constitution is stalled, because HQ will not forward the motion to all the other Units without it.

This rank gamesmanship and obstructionism is destructive to the morale of the Club because it demonstrates that at least some in high places have no confidence in the collective wisdom of the membership and betrays their good faith actions.

This we know best attitude is spelled out in Chairman Shafer's 2007 letter. He acknowledged that there is, “common sense and good judgment of the membership as exercised in our normal operating processes,” but emphasized that, “the prospective of the entire organization IS seen from this office. With primary input from the Units, the entire Executive Committee and the International Board of Trustees do their best to accomplish what they believe is best for the Club.” At the time, it was Shafer's concern that, “the development of a very vocal minority,” not impose its will on, “the silent majority.” “The officers of WBCCI,” Shafer insisted, “exist to serve the majority while respecting the minority. Whether sometimes silent or when major issues rise to the top... their vote reestablishes the will of the majority.”

That is precisely what we are asking for, to let the majority vote and establish their will, as opposed to that of one man. We encourage all members to contact their respective Region President to demand the right of the members to vote on the Region 11 Motion to Amend.

Sincerely,

The Officers of the Denver Colorado Unit #24
Old 01-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Forrest,

Thank you for this letter. This action by Don Shafer is a continuation of the arbitrary actions by the leadership to thwart the membership. The leadership continue to do what they want and rule as "out of order" any item to which they object.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #67
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
International Treasurer, Bob Moss, wrote President Beu, “I cannot understand how the Chairman of the Constitution & Bylaws Committee has the power to stop something from going forward, when a region jumped through all the hoops of the Blue Book and had their motion approved by an entire region.” In correspondence with Region President Neumarkel, he wrote, “I still am of the opinion that the C&BL chairman has only the right to give his opinion on the motion and pass it along... If the members feel it is improper... then it will fail, if on the other hand it passes then the Club will deal with the new rule.”
Mr. Moss is correct.
Mr. Shafer either needs to do his job or be removed by President Beu.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:44 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
An absolutely excellent letter, Forrest. Thank you very much for keeping us in the loop!

Lynn
Old 01-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #69
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Happy Trails

Glad I withheld my dues. Until the club can respect its members, I am done.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Forrest,

Thank you for this letter. This action by Don Shafer is a continuation of the arbitrary actions by the leadership to thwart the membership. The leadership continue to do what they want and rule as "out of order" any item to which they object.

Bill
I rather suspect that this is a demonstration of what the fate of anything the "upper management" doesn't like coming from the revision committee will be also.'

If I understand it right bylaws changes could be presented and voted on at the midwinter meeting and only constitutional changes would have to go to the units with the resulting delay.
My bet is nothing will come out of the mid winter meeting except more excuses and delays.
I would be really happy to be proven wrong
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Forrest,

After reading your letter, and knowing you to be a very upstanding and thoughtful individual, I can only feel grief for the future of WBCCI and the history that it holds and represents. Being one who has experienced firsthand the willful desires of the “Leadership” to impose its own will, even if it runs counter to the needs and desires of the membership in general, I see this to be a continuation of politics as usual for WBCCI, rather than a progressive new direction for the club.

But truthfully, to me, Mr. Shafer's actions render useless the entire constitution and bylaws of the club if one person can decide something that violates the process built by those documents. It does appear that Mr. Shafer is egregiously overstepping the bounds of his authority for the purposes of fulfilling his own desires, rather the desires of the club. One can think that they are operating in the best interest of the club when they clearly are not. We have seen this pattern of behavior repeated over and over again in other areas of the club (the current motorhome issue for example).

This solitary action taken by Mr. Shafer should immediately and summarily be correct by the higher leadership of WBCCI as it clearly endangers the club's foundations. In my opinion (and I am not a parliamentarian in any stretch of the imagination) the leadership, by perusing this avenue is going in a direction that could force the membership of the club to declare No Confidence in the club leadership, or at least specifically Mr. Shafer's brand of leadership, or even potentially push the club towards a dissolution movement of the entire leadership in order to pursue an International Board of Trustees which truly represents the will of the members of the club, rather than individual whims.

It is my opinion that the club suffers from the myopic and oft self centered vision of a very select few who profess to be operating for what they view is in the best interest of the club. However, their impression may in fact be dilusional as evidenced by the decline in membership numbers and attendance at the International Rally for example. It is clear that the club continues to suffer the needs of the few. There are fine examples where the collective body of people lost trust in the leadership and took matters in their own hands – that example seems to have largely worked well.
United States Declaration of Independence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
Forrest, After reading your letter...
Thank you all for your compliments. However, I really need to be very clear on this. The letter is from the Executive Board of the Denver Colorado Unit, the wording reviewed and the action approved unanimously.

Hopefully, it will not be as easy to dismiss a board as it is one member.

The letter will be sent to all Units and Region Presidents via Email and USPS.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #73
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Hopefully, it will not be as easy to dismiss a board as it is one member.
I don't know why not. It all reminds me of the old days of Lily Tomlin the phone operator on Saturday Night Live.

"Sir, we're the phone company. We don't care. We don't have to."
Old 01-04-2011, 02:25 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I encourage every unit president to discuss with their members(via e-mail where possible, and for the sake of expediency) their their support for Forest's amendment and rejection of Don Shafer's actions. The summary of these reactions should be e-mailed directly to Norm Beu, so he can react to them immediately and take corrective action before the January IBT meeting. His and the IBT's willingness to address this problem quickly and creatively, will be very revealing as to the potent future of the club.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:45 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Forrest,

Thanks for posting the letter for us, and for your strength.

Failure of the WBCCI leadership to immediately correct Mr. Shafer, and allow this Amendment to go forward, can and will only be interpreted as them unequivocally sanctioning his behavior.

Everyone who can get to the Mid-Winter meeting needs to go.

Maggie
Old 01-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #76
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
I encourage every unit president to discuss with their members(via e-mail where possible, and for the sake of expediency) their support for Forrest's amendment and rejection of Don Shafer's actions. The summary of these reactions should be e-mailed directly to Norm Beu, so he can react to them immediately and take corrective action before the January IBT meeting. His and the IBT's willingness to address this problem quickly and creatively, will be very revealing as to the potential future of the club.
The Chairman of each Committee shall be appointed by the President. (Art III, Sec. 3)

All Chairmen shall file their report to HQ no later than Dec. 1st. (Art III, Sec. 7)

The Constitution and Bylaws Committee has the DUTY to receive and review proposals for amendments to the International Constitution and the DUTY to provide a written report to HQ containing recommendations with regard to such proposal. (Policy E)

The Constitution and Bylaws Committee is free to recommend anything it wants, but it has a clear duty to recommend SOMETHING!

If the Constitution and Bylaws Committee chooses to NOT make a recommendation, the Int. President should immediately demand the resignation of the Chairman and any other Committee member who refuse to make a recommendation.

Moreover, any financial disbursements sought by Mr. Shafer as Chairman of the Constitution and Bylaws Committee should be denied as a budget item and should not be paid. (Art XVI, Policy 1[j])
Old 01-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #77
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
To all,

WBCCI HQ provided Email addresses for every Unit President. The letter, Betraying Good-faith Actions, has been sent to them.

We have received numerous requests from them to produce the motion that is being held back by the Int’l C&BC Chairman. Our fear is that Units that prematurely vote on that motion create procedural problems that could invalidate its passage. In fact, the Chairman of the C&BC argues that the Region 11 vote was improper because he believes the Utah Unit voted on it prior to the Denver Colorado Unit. We don’t believe that happened and even if it did then the Utah vote can be rejected without having any effect on the overall results. However, we do not want to create additional problems.

We do understand their curiosity. However, the purpose of our letter wasn’t to promote the motion, but to get the C&BC to issue its letter of recommendation so that Units can get the motion through official channels. We’re not the ones holding it back! We want the Units to have it!

Our Unit newsletters are open to public viewing though. The motion can be found in the Minutes on page 6 in the June 2010 publication. Here is a link to it on our website: http://www.wbcci-denco.org/Newsletters/2010/Jun10.pdf

One Unit President wrote back to us saying, “You make direct, emotionally based, negative accusations toward specific WBCCI Intl officers but don't have the integrity to sign your names. As far as I'm concerned, if you can't sign your name, your thoughts have no merit. Stand up and be accountable!”

We are, and our intent is to build the Club, not tear it down. Our letter was signed as being from theThe Officers of the Denver Colorado Unit #24.” We thought that sufficient. There was no intent to hide our identities, as they are published in the 2011 WBCCI Membership Directory, on our website, and in our newsletters. So there should be no doubt as to who we are. Never-the-less, our board is:

President Patricia Reed (#1953)
1st VP Carl Russell (#4481)
2nd VP Virgil Turner (#4306)
Treasurer Joe Bent (#4246)
Corresponding Secretary Tom Reed (#1953)
Recording Secretary Patrice McClure (#2671)
Trustee Randy Leitner (#13713)
Trustee Norman Ferguson (#4979)
Trustee Ron Herro (#1654)
Trustee Forrest McClure (#2671)
Old 01-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #78
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
One Unit President wrote back to us saying, “You make direct, emotionally based, negative accusations toward specific WBCCI Intl officers but don't have the integrity to sign your names. As far as I'm concerned, if you can't sign your name, your thoughts have no merit. Stand up and be accountable!”
This seems to be a clear case of projection. Your narrative is not at all "emotionally based" but purely factual. Nor do you make "accusations", just clearly state objectively demonstrable facts. And, as you said, your names are on record in the WBCCI directory.

The WBCCI constitution says what it says, and the chairman of the Constitution and Bylaws Committee said what he said. This is all a matter of written record.

Somehow the International officers are going to have to learn to live within their powers defined by the constitution--hopefully while there is something left of the WBCCI to save.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:11 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If this Motion should somehow go awry during the machinations of the next couple of weeks, I would think the IBT could make, second and pass a new motion that it be allowed to proceed in spite of any unintentional procedural errors.

Maggie
Old 01-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #80
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Region 11 President's motion

Region 11 President Dan Neumarkel has put a motion on the Mid-Winter IBT agenda that we hope will at least get the board in a debate over this issue. Here is the draft of his motion (it is also available on the WBCCI website in the IBT program PDF):

I move that our Board, the International Board of Trustees, instruct and
require its Constitution & Bylaws Committee to produce a written report to
Headquarters containing the recommendations of the Standing Committee with regard to the Region 11 proposal that moves to STRIKE from the WBCCI
Constitution, Sec. 4 of ARTICLE IX, BOARD OF TRUSTEES and in its place
INSERT, under ARTICLE XII, DELEGATES MEETINGS, the words, “The Delegates shall have full authority to construe and interpret the Club’s Constitution and annually review and/or repeal any Club Bylaw and/or Policy.”

Rationale:

The purpose of this motion is not to debate the merits of the Region 11
Proposal. Instead, the question is whether the Chairman of the Constitution
and Bylaws Committee has acted beyond the scope of his authority to stop the Proposal from being read, debated and voted on by all the other Units in the WBCCI.

The Proposal in question has been certified by all the Units in Region 11
and passed unanimously. The certification process followed the instructions
provided by WBCCI General Manager, Cindy Reed, and she in turn sent the
Certified Proposal to the Chairman of the Constitution and Bylaws Committee, Don Shafer, so that his Committee could study and produce a report
containing their recommendations. Unfortunately, Chairman Shafer has
notified Region 11 in writing that the Proposal will not be reviewed by his
committee, and that he will not, “allow it to go forward.”

His explanation was that, in his opinion, Region 11 failed to follow
procedure as outlined by Article XVI, Section 3 of the Constitution. This is
also the opinion of Dona Garner, International Parliamentarian. However,
their interpretation requires reading Section 3 prior to Section 1, with the
idea that Section 1 must be in accord with Section 3. This is not how
Article XVI is written. The correct sequence of reading begins with Section
1 and ends with Section 3. If that is not obvious enough in its own right,
Section 3 itself states that, “proposed amendment(s) [are to be] distributed
in accordance with Sections 1 and 2,” of the article.

Chairman Shafer’s viewpoint requires that Amendment Proposals be sent to his committee for review prior to the certification process so that it might be
modified. One very distinct problem with doing it that way is that the
Committee’s review and recommendations would not be germane to an amended Proposal that is subsequently certified. It is conceivable that the Maker of the Proposal could amend it in a way that would be satisfactory to the Committee, only to have it go to all the other Units with a letter from the
Committee that condemns it.

The only way in which the Committee’s recommendations can be germane to a final Proposal is for the Committee to review the Certified Proposal.
Indeed, this is how it has always been done in the past, and is fully in
accord with how Article XVI, Sections 1 through 3 read.

This Board has authority over the Constitution and Bylaws Committee and its
Chairman. It is appropriate for us to require a timely report from them
since such a report is required by our Constitution and Bylaws. WBCCI CONSTITUTION, ARTICLE IX, BOARD OF TRUSTEES

Sec. 3 The Board of Trustees shall define the policies of, and shall
have full administrative authority in all matters pertaining to the
International Club and shall exercise general control and supervision of all
officers and committees.

Sec. 4 The Board of Trustees shall have full authority to construe
and interpret the Club's Constitution and Bylaws and Policy and may delegate this authority to its Constitution and Bylaws Committee.

These two Sections from the Constitution indicate that Mr. Shaver and his
committee are subordinate to the Board. The Board “may” delegate its
authority, but there is no language that it “must.”

The Committee’s duties are proscribed by WBCCI BYLAWS, ARTICLE III, COMMITTEES, POLICY - GENERAL DUTIES

E. Constitution and Bylaws To... receive and review proposals for
amendments to the International Constitution and to provide a written report
to Headquarters containing the recommendations of the Standing Committee
with regard to such proposed amendments. (1/19/96)

Note that the Duties correspond with Article XVI and that neither provides
any permission for the Chairman or the Committee to refuse such a review
once it has been received from Headquarters. The Chair does not have the
prerogative of denying or preventing Units from obtaining, discussing,
debating and voting on the Region 11 Proposal. The Duty as described is not
discretionary. It is required.

Tags
wbcci forum