Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2022, 09:52 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
Am I Missing Something?

I'm not on here much but I thought I'd check in to see what people's thoughts are on the proposed amendments to the club constitution. My search is turning up nothing. Can someone point me in the right direction? TIA
janicemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
I support the first amendment to eliminate the Delegates meeting and go to direct member voting for a variety of reasons with the most important one being that it guarantees all member votes are counted "as cast". There is no possibility of your vote note getting counted because your local club had no delegate to attend the international Rally. It also guarantees that your delegate does not cast your vote opposite of how you voted, or in an extreme case having your delegate vote on your "behalf" without even polling the local club members they represent (don't laugh, that has happened in the past on hopefully rare occasions).

Regarding the 2nd amendment to restructure the Executive Officers, I am turned off by the "hard sell", sense of urgency, and the lack of any counterpoint being provided. The few lines of change this would introduce in the Constitution will require much more change in the Byliaws and Policy, yet none of that has been seen by the members yet. I am not directly opposed to what the 2nd amendment is attempting to accomplish, but will likely vote against it because of the hard sell and lack of opportunity to fully understand it's impact before voting on it. If it is a good idea now, it will still be a good idea next year after it is better understood.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:05 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
Thanks for your thoughts on this, I see what you mean about the 1st. It seems they are trying to do too much on the 2nd, I agree with parts of it but not all of it. It bothers me there is no open discussion.
Old 06-01-2022, 04:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think the discussion is supposed too be at the local level at your unit meetings to inform the delegates how to vote. At least now until the direct vote is implemented. There is very little Airstream Club discussion on this site. They are maybe competitors of a sort.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:55 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I think the discussion is supposed too be at the local level at your unit meetings to inform the delegates how to vote. At least now until the direct vote is implemented. There is very little Airstream Club discussion on this site. They are maybe competitors of a sort.

Interesting, thanks. We are MAL and I can't find any good resources for us. "Their" version of FAQ on the website, along with some 4-hour long you tube videos which no one is going to sit through. Ah well. I'll ping some friends.
Old 06-02-2022, 07:06 AM   #6
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I think this is one of those times when having a local chapter is helpful. We discussed this at length at our local rally a few weeks ago before voting. Some spoke in favor, some against, and then we voted.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Is there a link to ACI where one can vote as a member? Thanks!
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:09 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Danvers , Massachusetts
Voting is being organized at the club level.. your President should have more information on how/when voting will be done
AndrewF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
The impact of the new executive means someone does not have to commit to 5 years on the board to get to President. Not everyone can commit to that time
Most not for profit organizations elect officers from among the elected members of the board
One advantage is the members of the board get to screen out the potential of a renegade
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 04:49 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I think this is one of those times when having a local chapter is helpful. We discussed this at length at our local rally a few weeks ago before voting. Some spoke in favor, some against, and then we voted.
I think there are a lot of advantages to having a local chapter. But we're full time, and we don't know where we're going to settle yet.
Old 06-03-2022, 04:53 AM   #11
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
The impact of the new executive means someone does not have to commit to 5 years on the board to get to President. Not everyone can commit to that time
Most not for profit organizations elect officers from among the elected members of the board
One advantage is the members of the board get to screen out the potential of a renegade
Currently you only have to spend 3 years on the board as various VPs to become president. That is enough time, IMO, to understand the club and how it operates and to prepare for the year as president.

The concept that board members can vote someone off the board is something that troubles me. Members should be able to decide who goes on the board and who stays on the board.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 05:09 AM   #12
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by janicemd View Post
I think there are a lot of advantages to having a local chapter. But we're full time, and we don't know where we're going to settle yet.
You can actually join any chapter you want - it doesn't have to be one near you. I don't know about other chapters, but the one we belong to allowed members to cast their votes remotely for people who couldn't attend our annual meeting. This would be a way for you to get your voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Currently you only have to spend 3 years on the board as various VPs to become president. That is enough time, IMO, to understand the club and how it operates and to prepare for the year as president.

The concept that board members can vote someone off the board is something that troubles me. Members should be able to decide who goes on the board and who stays on the board.
True - we ge to vote but how much of a vote is it really when there is just one candidate for each position? How many members actually vote for a write-in candidate, and how many write-in candidates have ever been elected?

To be totally honest, I'll probably never know the people running for the positions personally. It's unlikely that I'll ever even meet them except perhaps once if I attend a national rally or they happen to be someone from my local chapter.

The non-profit whose board I served on had a similar arrangement to what's being proposed, where the board members selected from amongst themselves those who would serve on the various positions. My understanding is that this is a common way to do things.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote