Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Wow. A red neck, huh? And you are not welcome in her unit? Who made HER Queen for a day?? My reaction, admittedly contrary, to that kind of comment is to definitely be in that unit forever, and forever in that person's line-of-sight. Not being nasty, just being there, smiling and having a good time.

And especially in regard to a Constitutional right. No one can tell an American (on US soil) what they can't have in their home, which is how a travel trailer is viewed legally. I would make a point of being present at as many activities as possible. IMHO.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:42 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Land shark, interesting concept, might work. My experience in motorcycle clubs is that that might be productive as long as the majority of in the club agrees wit you and not her. The people who are just a box of rocks and either do not know or do not care about what is happening are the ones who usually decide. Works that way in politics in general at all levels. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
This is an interesting thread. Almost all of the responses, with a couple of exceptions, are coming from owners with Airstreams that are 20 to 30 years old. These are people that have a vested interest in the club. By the same token, it's doubtful that these same people will plunk down a medium to high five figure price for a new AS from Thor. I don't subscribe to the theory that people seeing older Airstreams are motivated to buy a new one.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #24
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
And as a relatively new owner of an Airstream, albeit an Interstate RV, I've looked at the various local and national Wally rallies and nothing seems to point to "why I should want to join" with an RV. There is some slight movement afoot to try to start an Interstate Club but I have my doubts of its success due to the spread-out-across the country we all are.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
And especially in regard to a Constitutional right. No one can tell an American (on US soil) what they can't have in their home, which is how a travel trailer is viewed legally. I would make a point of being present at as many activities as possible. IMHO.

Vivian
The unit involved in this issue is the Ontario Canada unit. WBCCI is taking the approach that it is a Canadian issue only – but that is not quite true. I had met the president of the Alberta-Saskatchewan unit and he was appalled at this change. What WBCCI fails to see is that this could result in the balkanization of the WBCCI, where units could modify their bylaws to the extent that uniformity for all members is lost.

What is worse is that the changes were made with a total disregard for basic rules of how an organization is run. The WBCCI constitution says that Robert’s Rules of Order prevail, with minor exceptions. Robert’s Rules of Order ensures that there is transparency and fairness, and that *any* restrictive amendment or bylaw amendment needs to have a 2/3rds majority of the members to approve it. In addition, any changes need the final approval of WBCCI headquarters.

In this case, 4 or 5 executive members decided to make the change; it was never submitted to a vote, but sent for approval to headquarters, where Don Shafer approved it with the full knowledge of what had taken place and that there had not been any vote, as I had written to him and Cindy Reed. In his email to me and Cindy, Don stated that he would vociferously oppose an issue of this type being on the IBT agenda, as it would be very divisive, yet he allowed this to slide through.

As an addendum, the then president of the unit told me in a phone conversation that there were 10 members ready to walk if the change did not go through. Several months later I spoke with 2 persons who had been on the executive and both told me that this was not true.

As I said earlier, as a result of all this I cannot in clear conscience pay funds into an organization that allows these types of antics to take place. I have lost the desire to be a member f the WBCCI, particularly where the social aspects of RV’ing are filled so capably by the Escapees and Good Sam clubs.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
As usual a simple thread on the history of Airstream gatherings morphs into a general bash of why people do not belong to WBCCI. Maybe I do not blame Airstream for inaccurate reporting or for supporting other events also. Of course I still like WBCCI. I pay more money into the federal government with less voice in how things are done, so I guess I am a little used to that. WBCCI is small politics and our local unit is pretty nice. Headed out in the am for a 2 month caravan and a month long trip back. Life is still good. If you just gotta tell us why you are not a member and what is wrong with people who are go ahead. I can deal with that too. But I really do not think we deserve all the bashing.
And I am guilty of not really being in the market for a new Airstream. JC did get a good chunk of money from their repairs to my old trailers.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:21 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
This is an interesting thread. Almost all of the responses, with a couple of exceptions, are coming from owners with Airstreams that are 20 to 30 years old. These are people that have a vested interest in the club. By the same token, it's doubtful that these same people will plunk down a medium to high five figure price for a new AS from Thor. I don't subscribe to the theory that people seeing older Airstreams are motivated to buy a new one.
I'm curious why, as vintage owners, we are perceived as having a vested interest in WBCCI? I don't see the connection, and my husband and I are members of WBCCI ONLY in order to be members of the Vintage Club. The Vintage Club has more fun and more activities at its gatherings than WBCCI-only people, as evidenced by the vintage club members who own much newer, non-vintage A/Ss.

We own vintage trailers, not because we can't/won't plunk down five figures for a new trailer, but because we genuinely prefer the wood, design, and workmanship of these older units, and their history. We live in an old farmhouse and have several vintage autos for the same reasons.

As to people who see vintage trailers being motivated to buy new ones, I think that most non-Airstreamers viewing A/Ss can't tell an old from a new one, but what they see is caravans, rallies: people having fun in an iconic, beautiful, graceful unit. A/Ss are instantly recognizable and set apart from their SOB kin, so I think that the more A/Ss seen on the road, parked at rallies or RV parks, etc, the more they advertise for A/S Corporate, whether old or new. And it would be appropriate, IMHO, for A/S Corp to acknowledge that by supporting WBCCI more fully as they used to do.

Vivian
Old 06-18-2014, 09:39 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post

As I said earlier, as a result of all this I cannot in clear conscience pay funds into an organization that allows these types of antics to take place. I have lost the desire to be a member f the WBCCI, particularly where the social aspects of RV’ing are filled so capably by the Escapees and Good Sam clubs.
This would be funny if not for being so sad; he is absolutely correct--and don't we all wish politics at all levels could be so simple? If you don't like a new law, or lack of transparency, just don't pay your taxes, er, dues, and refuse to play with the others! I like it....

Vivian
Old 06-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Landshark said; "I'm curious why, as vintage owners, we are perceived as having a vested interest in WBCCI? I don't see the connection, and my husband and I are members of WBCCI ONLY in order to be members of the Vintage Club. The Vintage Club has more fun and more activities at its gatherings than WBCCI-only people, as evidenced by the vintage club members who own much newer, non-vintage A/Ss"

I think you answered your own question as to why you belong to the WBCCI. More people will see an Airstream on a Progressive commercial tonight than a year's worth of rally's. Same goes for a GEICO magazine ad. Thor is in the business to sell product and other than some print ads supporting the WBCCI, there's no logic in any support beyond ads in the club magazine. WBCCI promotes a life style while Thor promotes a product. I too have a garage full of hot rods and classic cars along with an '85 Avion plus the AS. My point very simply is that supporting the WBCCI is not necessarily a wise business model for Thor. I've got 30 plus years in the advertising and marketing business and if Thor was my client, i would tell them to nothing more than throw a bone to the WBCCI.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:04 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
So the thread zigs and zags.

This is a camping club that is supposed to be about Fun, Friendship, and Adventure. When it ceases to be so, it is time for change.

A few of our friends made that decision last year and formed a new unit. I don't know if members carry guns during our rallies, but we did have a visit to a range at our February rally.

As for political options, members can file grievances, but those never solve problems.

If you have an opportunity, visit with some other units. Even if you don't re-join, you will probably have a good time and make new friends.

Hope to see you down the road.

Matt
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I'm an outsider, but I did purchase a new Heartland mpg (Thor owns Heartland) and a used Foretravel MH. We never got anything from Heartland about the owners' club or forum, but I had already found them. Foretravel owners get their first year (well, up to a year) membership in the Motorcade (their owners' club) free, and Motorcaders get 10% off of parts ordered from the factory. Membership numbers will be installed on the coach for free. I don't know how much money Foretravel puts into Motorcade, but they certainly know what's going on. They advertise in the Motorcader (the magazine) and they monitor the owners forum. Perhaps Airstream could do something similar.

We're talking a little about an Airstream. If we would get one, we'll see about membership in WBCCI. From what I've seen, there are probably other places for that money.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:08 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
WBCCI would've worth the money, try it for a year. But the best rallys in my opinion are the forum rallys and the others talked about on here. Some of them are WBCCI rallys but mist are not. No one is excluded. The fall and spring events in n georgia ans s Carolina are well represented and organized. Once you get into the flow of how the forums work, rally info will become easy. Good organizers, locations and thought go into these. Good people, all different, but good friendly people. Jim
Old 12-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #33
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question Our experience....

How is it a 'Rally' when they don't allow you to rally?

Years ago we happened upon a Wally Rally quite by accident. We were new Streamers at the time, had no knowledge of the Forum and had many questions about our 'new' 63 Safari. We were not allowed on the grounds, were directed to an area at least a 1/4mi away. We found one gentleman from AS of NJ who was willing to inspect our AS, spend some time with us and answer our questions.
I never mailed in the membership papers but did continue to do business with AS of NJ, (now Colonial, I believe)

I guess we just didn't fit the demographic at the time....
We are 'of age' now but still don't have any Grand Kids to contribute.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:28 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Gosh, I came back to an AIrstream from a moho, and one of the reasons was to be a WBCCI member. As I understand it, many social organizations have problems, especially with the economy being in the less than desirable status. But, if I want changes in an organization, i have to get involved and campaign for the changes I desire.

The "family" and historical aspects of the WBCCI are important for me and I do hope it survives changes and meets requirements for a future which provides what members desire.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
First impressions last a lifetime and are often wrong.! Jim
Old 12-27-2014, 07:46 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
It is first impressions that make or break businesses and clubs. We have been working very hard on the club, but it is still up to the Units and the Members to welcome others.
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:52 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
All kinds of people buy and use Airstreams for a broad array of usages. To be worth the money, the club must provide programs and value to those people who use them in that broad variety of usages.

At the national level, the club provides services to those with time, and the desire, to participate in longer activities such as national caravanes, Internationals, and Special events.

For the younger, working members the club needs to support the local Unit's weekend and shorter activities. The national club does provide, insurance, free websites for advertising, local leadership training at the Internationals,and the Blue Beret. Additional programs, to support the locals, should be developed.

There is little the club can provide for people that do not participate in local or national events.

Recently, the first time Airstream's "target market" buyers of new Airstreams are younger, with families and no time to participate, or interest in, "club" type activities. Only 5% of Airstream's current sales go to people who participate in Internationals or caravans.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:32 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We bought our Foretravel in March, 2013. Our Motorcade membership was free for the remainder of that year. We renewed ($75/year) because one of the benefits was 10% off on parts and labor. Does WBCCI offer that?
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
We bought our Foretravel in March, 2013. Our Motorcade membership was free for the remainder of that year. We renewed ($75/year) because one of the benefits was 10% off on parts and labor. Does WBCCI offer that?
Simple answer, no. Airstream occasionally does have a sale in their store but their is no financial or direct business connection between the club and the factory.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
Until fairly recently, WBCCI did give one year free membership to new Airstream buyers. The practice was discontinued because very few renewed. I would like to see the practice reinstated, myself.

WBCCI can't offer a discount on parts and labor because because they are an entirely separate entity from Airstream, Inc.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote