Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #141
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Since you started it ...

How about "Friends Of Wally Camping Club" ?

The name isn't all that great but when you say you're going to a FOWCC rally, you'll get a lot of attention!
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #142
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
So we would pronounce that "Fo Wok", "FWOK", "FOLK", "FO-WAC" or something like that? And our motto could be "The club that's not all folked up?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Since serious discussion on this thread has slowed down for a while, maybe we have time to inject a little humor.
Unusual timing of that remark, am I to read in between any lines there or am I just disappointed I was not fussed over and embraced?

Has anyone else specific unit ideas to share besides 2Air and me? There will be units??? Or perhaps I misread.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #144
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Unusual timing of that remark, am I to read in between any lines there or am I just disappointed I was not fussed over and embraced?

Has anyone else specific unit ideas to share besides 2Air and me? There will be units??? Or perhaps I misread.
Carol,

Timing of the remark was entirely random and there are no lines to be read between. Actually the bit about serious posts slowing down mainly referred to Jim's prolific output over the last few days.

I think your idea of incorporating the Rivettes as a unit in the new club (whatever it's going to be called) is a great idea. It's always good when you can bring in new members in bunches. I would hope that we would also get some whole WBCCI units, or at least major chunks of them.

Actually I was going to innocently ask if you allowed boys at your rallies, but upon reading over your comments I concluded the answer was probably "no", so there was no need to ask. It's your club, your policies are none of my business.

Cheers,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #145
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Rivettes?

OLD joke, Studio 54 was a very exclusive disco, extraordinarily hard to get into. First you had bouncers at the door who arbitrarily turned away 9 out of 10 people wanting to get in. Then there was the outer room for the "in crowd", next there was an inner room where only "B List" Celebrities got in, then there was the inner sanctum for "A Listers" and finally there was a room where Jack Nicholson sat alone.

Sounds like the vision of the WBCCI's IBT.

I enjoy getting together with fellow Rivettes - but a separate club with separate structure - or even totally banning men? Naw, too much like work.

There are women who WANT to tow alone, but just havent mastered all of the skills yet. If their husbands want to tag along and support their learning effort, why not? Many people have limited vacation time, and again if a couple wants to spend a week with the Rivettes, no problem for me. If we women decided to have a "romantic toys" party, we could always send any stray males to the local man cave bar for 3-4 hours.

If any attending man gets totally out of line, we could have penalties ranging from plucking his unibrow to a full body wax.

Putting together regional rivettes rallies - or having a section of a wagon wheel at the national rally, Great. Having a Rivettes Flag to hold at the annual national bash, sure.

Separate club?? Put that many intelligent, charming, accomplished women together with no men....?
  1. we might start acting like the IBT
  2. who could we blame when someone farts?
Paula
Old 09-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #146
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
PHEW! That's a load off, thanks for reinflating me. I was a might worried there.

Of course this is mere conjecture and wishfulness until a minimum of 9 other commitments are obtained. But the Rivettes have actually already come together and have rallies and have toured Jackson Center together as a group. And the Western Sisters on the other coast have met and held successful rallies. I thought I would do the litmus test here in the planning thread to see if there are any or many others interested.

Boys at rallies can be a great fun!! So far we had rallies with and without significant others but I like your idea Nuvi much better. Actually we did even have Airstreamers of both genders solo. As I said when its time for a party I tend to think the more the merrier. They didn't mind coming to a Woman's We Can Tow It Rally and we enjoyed their participation.

So 2Air I am still considering what you said. Perhaps the Rivettes are best served by ocassional special events when they are in fact at liberty to schedule such a function and it may not be wise to become a no younit in a brand new Airstream club. I understand and probably a moot point cuz I aint got No body.

EDIT: I see Paula's post now and think you and 2Air are quite persuasive. You both are hoots, OK so like I wanna be in your unit now. I can always paint me a little SOB and be a cowgirl with Sisters On The Fly.

photography
Old 09-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #147
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Carol
What would you call what we did in August. I called it a rally of friends that just happened to communicate here on the AirForums. Were we in danger of being sued because we were unincorporated I don't think so. Did we have a president and officers NOT BY A LONG SHOT DID We have Fun U DAM RITE WE DID.
SO why are we talkin about incorporating and Units and stuff that I personally have a problem with. At the end of the day we are talkin about the same thing that U all are trying your best to get away from.
I say KISS .
Lets just go have fun.
Oh did I mention East Harbor State Park,Port Clinton,Ohio Sept 11 /14 Some friends are gettin together, I think they have those shiny trailers ALL ARE WELCOME.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #148
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks for the invitation Roger. We may just be in the Ohio area in September. Well I guess I would call it a forums rally. You're right it lacked for nothing. I do more forums rallies than WBCCI rallies cuz gosh darn it we deserve it, They are more fun no contest. (Respectfully... region and unit experience will vary)

Ah but here we are in a thread for folks that are interested in starting a new club. Different strokes for different folks, there's room for all. Let's go grab Mary Lou and the pups and we'll go have fun. Until then you might catch me here again. We can belong to many or no clubs, but you can bet we will be rallying again, one function or another.

photography
Old 09-02-2008, 07:59 PM   #149
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Which do you think Airsteam would choose?

It has been a difficult and disappointing day for me.

I left the trailer this morning full of enthusiasm due to all of the interest that had been expressed the past three days about our endeavor here.

The first shock was a close encounter of the wrong kind with a deer. Thank God for ABS brakes. Both the deer and our truck are fine.

Some hours later my heart rate is ALMOST back to normal and SWMBO assures me that the brown stains will wash out of my trousers.

Then I came to the forum thinking this will be very pleasant given what had transpired with the deer.

To say that I am disappointed that there is not one post in response to the questions that I asked everyone to respond to is a GROSS understatement.

Perhaps Andy was right after all and this is going nowhere. Sad really.

I always find it interesting when it is time to do the work.

I thought it was nice that so many people said they wanted to be involved.

It's a shame that no one appears to be committed.

Let me define what I mean by involvement and commitment. Involvement and commitment are like ham and eggs.

In ham and eggs, the chicken is involved; the pig is COMMITTED.

No, I don't really expect anyone to lay down their life for anything like an Airstream club. But, having said that, a new club cannot be put together with group involvement if no on in the group is willing to do any of the work.

As to the title of this thread, I would like everyone here to give this some thought.

Airstream has choices about what group they would like to see representing its customers in the form of a social organization.

Today there is the WBCCI which new Airsteam purchasers, like my wife and I, do not find offers the type of experience they would like in a social organization.

I was giving serious thought to "going it alone" and building a club on my own. Perhaps I will have to do that. I really do not what to.

Then we have the current state of affairs within the WBCCI which has suspended one member. Many think this is the tip of the iceberg and more suspensions will follow. Personally I have no idea how this will play out; only time will tell. Realistically I can see some people who are VERY unhappy with the WBCCI going off and setting up a club on their own. To me this is just a natural result of what can happen given the current circumstance. And, rumors are flying about this going on.

Then there is us. I really didn't want to go it alone and thought, "Gee, wouldn't it be nice if there were enough like minded souls on the Airfourm who would like to establish a new Aristream club that looked nothing like the WBCCI". Goodness knows the diversity of people on the forum includes the new Airstream purchasers as well as those that have been around for years. Wouldn't it be nice if such a diverse group was willing to work together to form a new Airstream club.

So, my question to y'all is of these four alternatives who do you think Airstream would like to see succeed.

Jim, who so disappointed that he is quite literally without words.

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #150
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Jim the issue may be that you went off on your own without talking to the people that are in the know.

There are several things in the works long before you came on board which you are unaware of.

More later.....a new club will be formed.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:48 PM   #151
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
Jim the issue may be that you went off on your own without talking to the people that are in the know.

There are several things in the works long before you came on board which you are unaware of.

More later.....a new club will be formed.
Mystery club, Bob? Share a few details. If there is a history here, please speak up (that's a polite request, not a challenge).

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #152
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Well then why did no one pull Jim aside and tell him instead of asking him who he is?

And for future reference to those tempted to go off on their own where's the list of those in the know to consult?

Sorry Jim. let's hope all the camps interested in a new Airstream club will be able to contribute to make the best club possible.

photography
Old 09-02-2008, 08:51 PM   #153
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Ok U ask for it I don't give a hoot what Airsteam wants to see. We don't get paid or get a discount for owning or pulling thier product. Fine product that it is.
I think everyone who has weighed in hear with a comment wants some type of club that they can join or be apart of that Does away with dress codes and pomp and ceremony. They just want to go campin with thier friends without presidents and secrateries and treasuriers and all that incorparated garbage. NO ONE CARES.
They just want a group of friends they can have fun with. What does it matter what we call it.Just so we do it together
Old 09-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #154
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Well then why did no one pull Jim aside and tell him instead of asking him who he is?

And for future reference to those tempted to go off on their own where's the list of those in the know to consult?

Sorry Jim. let's hope all the camps interested in a new Airstream club will be able to contribute to make the best club possible.
Carol,

I don't know any more than the next guy, but I know you cover the same Internet waterfronts that I do and I'm surprised you haven't picked up the same vibrations that I have.

To wit, if someone were going to start a club made up mostly of disaffected WBCCI members, the logical people to start it would be people well known in the WBCCI community. And the people most motivated to start it might be the people who have been booted out of the WBCCI.

Anybody we know meet those criteria?

Bob Thompson has been silent lately and Leo Garvey is out of the country this week, but Leo has been dropping hints that we ain't heard nothin' yet.

And, frankly, I would be inclined to follow them as they are both experienced officers with a track record of success in their regions and units. Notwithstanding all of the foregoing, I think Jim has some really good ideas that I hope can be fit into a new club.

And, I would much prefer one new club rather than two or three, so people would have a clear and simple choice between the WBCCI and "Brand X".

Just my opinion. . .
Old 09-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #155
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Well Nuvi,

I should have directed my comment directly to LIPets.

I didn't have to pick up on the vibrations. I did refer each to the other.

A WBCCI spin-off club might have an entirely different set of members than another Airstream club. You can take the members out of the WBCCI but not necessarily take the WBCCI out of the members...by choice that is. The stage was set by the announcement of the suspension. I expected there would be competition and plans for new clubs springing up even beside these.

My contention is the tone of the post, and the logic.

photography
Old 09-02-2008, 10:43 PM   #156
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
My contention is the tone of the post, and the logic.
I would agree with you there.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:08 PM   #157
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I have been out of pocket today and at a movie last evening so I haven't been able to keep up with this thread...literally! This thread has grown four pages since I last read any of it yesterday.

I have been a member of the WBCCI for over two years but have never attended one of the rallies, why? The Georgia Unit, of which I am a member, has 4 and 5 day rallies. I am still working and by the time we could get to the rally site, the rally is practically over. (Wed-Sunday vs. our schedule of Sat. & Sun.) The next rally is the State Rally and is just 40 miles from our home, but again, it is Thursday through Sunday and is dry camping except for the first 100 campers (they get electric) and cost $100 per couple plus extra for each additional attendee (each of our kids). $50/night to camp in a parking lot with no connections practically in my back yard isn't too appealing to me. Not to mention we would be among the youngest (mid-40's) and some of the few, if not only, attendees with children.

What we have enjoyed is forum rallies and I don't think for a moment that a new Airstream club would mean an end to forum rallies. But I still like the idea of being a member of something associated with only Airstreams. Unfortunately, WBCCI isn't doing it for us. I remain a member of WBCCI in the hopes that it will change with time and I am willing to support the Club until it does. I am willing to look at alternatives though. I would love to be a charter member of the next/alternative Airstream Club.

I would like to see this new Airstream club be an Airstream Corporate endorsed club and one that is what WBCCI is not. I'd also like to see this new club include the name Airstream in some fashion. If there is an alternative to the WBCCI, the WBCCI will have to change to compete for membership or be content to continue with the loyal membership that doesn't jump ship for as long as they last. I'm not advocating draining the WBCCI or putting them out of business. On the contrary. I'd like nothing more than to have two clubs to belong to and have two options for rallies and caravans in the future. There may be a time when the current WBCCI style of club will be what I want/need, but in the interim, I'd like to have the alternative.

My dream club would have rallies around the country at differing times of the year...just like the forum rallies we have access to today. One where the focus of the rallies center around the weekend with options for those that can arrive early or stay late. There has to be bylaws and dues to cover liability insurance and other overhead cost, but there are other clubs beside the WBCCI that this new club could be patterned after. There's Good Sam's, FMBA (?), and others. This new club could have a national rally once, or even twice, a year with a similar or different format than any of these or WBCCI's. There could also be intra-club organizations (Rivettes, Silver Sisters, etc.)

I'm in the middle of raising two pre-teen boys with Scouting obligations and a career and taking a night class and trying to camp on weekends and it seems life just keeps piling up. Count me in on joining the new club, and I'll do what I can to help put it together no matter who spearheads it.

If someone other than Norsea has started the ball rolling before him, let us know so we can gather the troops behind him/her. If not, then stop trying to muddy the waters so we can get on with it.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:48 AM   #158
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
I seems people like me are not heard .Only those here with money that are world travelers are heard. So U go ahead and form your new club with the presidents and high monkey monks and potentates and your incorporation and your liability insurance.
Your are running straight into what you are trying to get away from.
So I have to stay with Forums rallys and be content with that.
I will comment NO MORE
I'M OUT
Old 09-03-2008, 08:09 AM   #159
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
A suggestion

Would it be agreeable to 1) find an attorney who might be willing to steer us through the shoals of incorporation, 2) form a minimalist structure say a board of 5 to do as little as possible, 3) use the resulting structure to provide liability insurance to ad hoc rallies such as have been organized here on the forums? It seems this would provide a club, and some protection that some are wanting without the rest of the baggage of a large organization.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:22 AM   #160
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
What I have learned from this process...

If I have learned one thing in life it is this:

Perception is reality.

As a result I have NEVER (strong word) tried to convince people that their way of thinking or doing things is not correct. Frankly I have always had a difficult time understanding people who believe that others are doing it wrong if they are not doing things their way.

I am a firm believer in education. And part of that belief is that it is each of our duties in life to help our fellow man by sharing the what we know so others may profit from our experience.

I have no desire to convince anyone of anything in this life. But, I do like sharing experiences with other people. I think that the most rewarding moments in my life have involved shared activities with other people be that with my family or others.

It's very nice to share common goals and experiences. I suspect that is what brings the vast majority of people to this forum.

What I always do find interesting is how people respond to things. The responses in this thread pay tribute to the diversity of opinions people have. And that's a wonderful thing. We have had the good fortune to see how life is lived in many different cultures. As a result of this experience we cherish diversity and the freedom of expression and, above all, the opportunity that we in the USA have.

When I jumped into this thread I had no doubts that there would be some comments from the forum folks who do not think things like bylaws and Articles of Incorporation are necessary. That is there opinion and they are entitled to have that opinion and I will always respect it.

I also knew that I would receive some responses from people in the WBCCI who would NOT be happy about what I was proposing. However, I thought these comments from the WBCCI members would come from the folks who are "true believers". I can understand how they would feel about a new club being proposed given the exclusivity of the WBCCI as THE Airstream club from more that 50 years. I am very sensitive to that as an issue will never do anything but honor that heritage.

What I did not expect was the comments to come from the very people who are up in arms about the current state of affairs within the WBCCI.

I had very serious reservations about being able to do something like my proposal in a public forum.

But, given all of the posts in which people were clamoring for open processes and transparency in the way a club should conduct its operations I decided that I would test the water and see if people were willing to take the risk that is associated by doing something like this in full view of the world.

Unfortunately my suspicions were confirmed. A public forum is NOT the place to do something like this.

I want to thank EVERYONE who has participated in this thread. You have provide invaluable information to me and everyone who has read or will read this thread; really think about what has been said here, the way it has been said and why it has been said.

For those that have provided me with their email addresses I will be in touch. For those who would like to continue to work with me away from the forum you can contact me privately by email using the Contact Us page on our web site.

Thanks again for participating and providing invaluable information to all who will read this thread.

Jim, who is off to peruse his dream Airstream club and hopes others will join him...

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote