Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2016, 03:47 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Destination or Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post
Umm Silver - why? I did talk to a friend of mine from there and yes we will have some company - ie flying things - but nothing a little netting won't cure :-) I hear it's an incredibly beautiful area - anyone who knows about the bike paths that I've heard about there I would sure like to know -

The Farmington location was one hour from Durango, CO, a location filled with things to do, great restaurants and scenic roads. It is about an hour from Mesa Verde National Park and an hour and a half from Chaco Canyon National Historical Park. It is two hours on empty roads to Monument Valley, one of the most beautiful areas in the country and the setting for a lot of the old movies with John Wayne filmed by Director Ford. Farmington itself is not the highlight of most traveler’s trips, but it is near Shiprock, a notable geologic structure that is hard to forget. It is also close to the meeting point of the corner of four states.

Lewisburg appeared to offer over 200 years of history in the Allegheny Mountains. Although it probably wouldn’t have been my first choice, and I did not attend, I did live in Virginia for four years and found West (by God) Virginia to be a reasonable respite from the extremely high density of people and traffic a little further east. The mountains were generally welcoming, although I understand that the weather and floods dampened the festivities.

I cannot say much good about Escanaba. The land along the UP’s lower lake line from the Mackinaw Bridge to Escanaba is generally flat and boring. I lived in Houghton, Michigan for three years and took dozens of trips with the Michigan Tech students to Orienteering sites in and around lower Illinois, St Louis, Missouri, Cleveland, OH, etc and found the only thing of interest to be a famous Pasty shop and a few deer crossing the road. Roads were narrow and I never much liked the drive since as I recall there were limited opportunities to view the Great Lakes… it wasn’t as if you were driving the shoreline for 3 hours. Bugs and flies are wonderful things if you are an entomologist. Otherwise, maybe not so great. Mackinac Island at the top end of the Mackinaw bridge is fabulous, but over 2 ˝ hours one-way from Escanaba. The bridge is truly a world wonder. These could be a saving grace if you can work them into your travel to and from the International Rally. If you come through Wisconsin, you get to see miles and miles and miles of cranberry bog… not my thing.

I am not saying that some people can’t have a good time in the middle of a cornfield in Iowa. If you truly like the camaraderie of the WBCCI Rallies and don’t care to do anything but sit in one place and drink margaritas (with a few bugs floating on top), by all means pay those big bucks and go. If you all are at Escanaba, there will be less pressure where ever I choose to go. I guess maybe my comment regarding “…what were they thinking?” may have been a little strong. After all, it has to be someplace, preferably more central than not. You shouldn’t have to worry about using your air conditioner that far north and along the water.

If you subscribe to Protagonist's way of looking at it, "...it is not the destination, it is the journey" then you are probably all right.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:32 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
So some would like a rally near Disney to be entertained all day and night. Just go back to the trailer to sleep. Limited interaction with other rally guests. For me rally's are a chance to talk to other campers and participate in the scheduled events at the rally. Off rally ground entertainment doesn't figure in very high on my list of tnings to do. If I still owned my AS I would be at Mich next year. Don't care what the area is like, just want to be there with several hundred other AS owners and to enjoy the rally schedule and camaraderie. Of course I've lived in Fl since the early seventys and have never been to Disney, and only see the gulf or Atlantic once every couple years so my opinion may be far off the norm. Each of us must make our own decision whether a rally is worth it. whatever you decide, enjoy yourself.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:19 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Richard, is there a count on how many members preregistered at Lewisburg and have registered on line? I preregistered on day one in Lewisburg because of my positive experiences in West Virginia and at the International. Escanaba is going to be an opportunity to visit a part of the country I have never been able to spend any time exploring and isn't that what Wally had in mind for Airstream owners. You have an amazing year in store. Thank you for all you have done and will do to bring the "The Airstream Club" forward.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
So some would like a rally near Disney to be entertained all day and night. Just go back to the trailer to sleep. Limited interaction with other rally guests. For me rally's are a chance to talk to other campers and participate in the scheduled events at the rally. Off rally ground entertainment doesn't figure in very high on my list of tnings to do. If I still owned my AS I would be at Mich next year. Don't care what the area is like, just want to be there with several hundred other AS owners and to enjoy the rally schedule and camaraderie. Of course I've lived in Fl since the early seventys and have never been to Disney, and only see the gulf or Atlantic once every couple years so my opinion may be far off the norm. Each of us must make our own decision whether a rally is worth it. whatever you decide, enjoy yourself.
Given your druthers, Escanaba sounds like a perfect place for you.

When I lived in Houghton I heard a lot about black flies in a particular forest at the top of the Keweenaw, but I never experienced much of a problem with them, so I suppose people need to go prepared, but I don't think the bugs ought to scare anybody off. They probably peak in a single part of the season, but it would take a local to pinpoint the most likely time.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #45
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
I completely agree with Minimula on Lewisberg this year. I will be in Upper Michigan next week right after Richard to scout out a nearby location for the VAC rally before International next year since I am now the VAC 1 VP. I really enjoyed visiting with Rick Davis, Protaganist, and Minimula (and Jane) in the VAC tent this year. Be sure to come by the VAC tent next year at Escanaba for coffee in the morning and movies night. All are invited.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:06 PM   #46
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We arrived this morning with the advance team to finalize some items for next year. It is a little cool (68) with some clouds and not a bug in site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1468188353623.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	266396  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Looks very nice.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Niiiiiice !
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:20 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I am looking forward to the rally being held in an area I have never been, that doesn't appear to be over-populated and on a date not including the fourth of July. A lot of folks seemed to leave Lewisburg a day or two early and my guess is in many cases it was to attend family gatherings on the fourth. I also appreciate the offering of the generator and solar parking options . Dry (well, not that dry) camping in WV got us a prime spot next to the VAC tent. It is good to see changes taking place
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:58 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
How many units will the facility be able to park?

Yes, we are registered. We are attending mostly because it is on the UP. The UP is an interesting place. Have not been there since 1970 when we finished living on the UP for 3 years.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:09 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Calary , Alberta
Escanaba looks like a nice little place. I guess it's a great idea to move around to different places and throw some Money into their economy!!! Wish we could be there but still redoing our AS
LifeinaTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Calary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by awchief View Post
negative nelly (sp). There is always one in every discussion.

👍👍👍👍
LifeinaTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #53
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I hope Richard (azflycaster) will give us an update soon but I wonder if the rally is filling up quickly (or already filled). As of tonight 7/11/2016 this is as screen capture from the wbcci.org web site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	205
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	266521  
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I hope Richard (azflycaster) will give us an update soon but I wonder if the rally is filling up quickly (or already filled). As of tonight 7/11/2016 this is as screen capture from the wbcci.org web site.

My gosh! Surprised it filled so fast.
Glad I went ahead and registered in Lewisburg.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:09 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Man, if this is true, there is gonna be a lot of disappointed WBCCI members.

I can't believe they sold out of boondocking sites. Am I allowed to ebay my reservation?
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:31 PM   #56
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
My gosh! Surprised it filled so fast.
Glad I went ahead and registered in Lewisburg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Man, if this is true, there is gonna be a lot of disappointed WBCCI members.

I can't believe they sold out of boondocking sites. Am I allowed to ebay my reservation?
The WBCCI web site indicates registration is currently closed. That could be interpreted in several ways. My guess is there are still boondocking sites available. If a WBCCI member wants water/electric/pump-out it makes sense to call the office and put your name on the list. The rally is quite a long time from now (over one year) so there's no telling what will happen between now and then.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #57
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The registration pace has been much greater than we could have ever expected. We are currently on-site in Escanaba trying to create more water and electric sites. We still have 2 areas available with water and pump outs. One is for solar and the other is for limited generator use. You can also be added to the waiting list for water and electric sites when they become available.

Thank you all for your understanding.

Richard

Old 07-11-2016, 08:53 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:26 PM   #59
Rivet Master

We snoozed and lost out. Guess this news makes our decision.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:37 PM   #60
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Call the office and have Julie put you on the standby list or sign up for solar or generator parking. There will be water available and regular (4 day) pumpouts.

Richard