Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2016, 07:50 AM   #101
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Any idea when they're supposed to send out our paperwork showing our scheduled parking dates and whatnot?
Old 02-19-2016, 09:13 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I received a letter yesterday with FAQ for first time attendees, no mention of assigned arrival dates or assigned spots. I am going in with the SECU pre rally Caravan. Our arrival date is scheduled for June 25.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #103

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I received a letter yesterday with FAQ for first time attendees, no mention of assigned arrival dates or assigned spots. I am going in with the SECU pre rally Caravan. Our arrival date is scheduled for June 25.
Well, if you got the FAQ, the paperwork including the registration form you have to submit upon arrival (one copy for the parkers, one for the registrar, one to keep) can't be far behind.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:18 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
(pre) rally entertainment

According to the Rally registration form the International officially starts on 6/28.I realize many go in (much) earlier for a variety of reasons , some necessary and some just being a perk.Now my question is if the rally doesn’t start until the 28th why does there appear to be entertainment scheduled for the nights of 6/24 6/25 and 6/27.. At what financial cost is this entertainment to the club? How much did it add to the registration fee? Is there a “stealth” rally that really started prior to the 24th? Was this general knowledge?
As we will park on the 27th with the vintage club we feel somewhat short changed
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:03 PM   #105
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Rick,

I was curious about some similar issues. I don't know the answers to your questions. I hope somebody will reply with answers.

Our related issue is:

The parking voucher we received has our entrance date at 6/21. We considered arriving on that date to take advantage of the early activities and essentially receive more bang-for-the-buck - we wouldn't be charged any more to park on this date versus waiting to park with the WDCU on a much later date.

We didn't sign-up for any early activities or committees so I am curious why our parking date was assigned so early. In retrospect we should have planned to park on 6/21 to get 6-7 days of "free" parking.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #106

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
According to the Rally registration form the International officially starts on 6/28.I realize many go in (much) earlier for a variety of reasons , some necessary and some just being a perk.Now my question is if the rally doesn’t start until the 28th why does there appear to be entertainment scheduled for the nights of 6/24 6/25 and 6/27.. At what financial cost is this entertainment to the club? How much did it add to the registration fee? Is there a “stealth” rally that really started prior to the 24th? Was this general knowledge?
As we will park on the 27th with the vintage club we feel somewhat short changed
The IBT Seminar and Meeting are on the 24th, so it's not a "stealth rally" but rather a business meeting.

But don't feel short-changed just because you'll miss a few evenings' entertainment. After all, which would you rather be at, the VAC Rally or the IBT Seminar and Meeting?
Old 06-01-2016, 05:49 PM   #107
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

But don't feel short-changed just because you'll miss a few evenings' entertainment. After all, which would you rather be at, the VAC Rally or the IBT Seminar and Meeting?
Actually won't be at either. Planning on leaving here mid day the 26th , stay in the bullpen and go in with the VAC on the 27th.
I don't feel bad about missing the entertainment, just about helping pay for it.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 06-01-2016, 09:26 PM   #108
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Rick,

I was curious about some similar issues. I don't know the answers to your questions. I hope somebody will reply with answers.

Our related issue is:

The parking voucher we received has our entrance date at 6/21. We considered arriving on that date to take advantage of the early activities and essentially receive more bang-for-the-buck - we wouldn't be charged any more to park on this date versus waiting to park with the WDCU on a much later date.

We didn't sign-up for any early activities or committees so I am curious why our parking date was assigned so early. In retrospect we should have planned to park on 6/21 to get 6-7 days of "free" parking.
I don't know if I can provide any "answers", but maybe I can provide some historical perspective.

I guess the short answer to the question, "why do they do this" is the ever-popular "because we've always done it this way".

Years ago they used to get thousands of trailers at Internationals and the rallies were generally held in unprepared fields. WBCCI owns (or did own) several semitrailers full of surface wiring and plumbing hardware to provide temporary daisy-chained water and "3 Amp" electric service to all those trailers. Needless to say that took a lot of labor over an extended period of time so there were lots of "early workers". Since these folks were volunteers (and mighty hard workers, I can tell you!), WBCCI scheduled entertainment, tours, etc. for the weeks before the rally as perks for them.

In recent years the attendance has shrunk to the point that the rally can be accommodated in venues that have enough existing hookups that not nearly so many early workers are needed, but the tradition continues to some extent. Also, as pointed out earlier, several meetings are scheduled before the official start of the rally.

The reason that attendees not involved in any of these activities are invited to park early is just to spread out parking over a longer period of time. Not a good idea for thousands (or even several hundred) trailers to all show up on the same day.

This does lead to some strange maneuvers. Since attendees are invited to park long before the VAC parade, VAC members who wish to participate in the parade may end up parking, then hitching up and pulling out a few days later just to parade in with the VAC. Conversely, to participate in the Wagon Wheels Caravan (or whatever they call it nowadays), VAC members may have to miss some of the early activities.

For what it's worth, this seems to be a standard "industry" practice. We attended a Good Sam state rally just to see what they were like, and when we arrived on the official starting day we discovered the rally was already half over.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:35 AM   #109
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Thanks for sharing the explanation with us, makes good sense (to me).

When we first joined the club about 7 years ago, I was disappointed to learn that the numbers had shrunk and the famous ''wagon wheel'' parking was no longer needed.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:47 AM   #110
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
When we attended our first international, I too was sad to learn we where a week late. And I don't think it's intentional, but more of the 'they way it's always been'.

But your correct it's not explained anywhere, and if your new you expect to show up the day it starts, and leave the day it ends. And if you only get a weeks vacation time, you have to choose wisely.

This year they gave everyone a earlier parking date to maximize the time at the event.

Also starting next year in Escanaba, the date of the Rally doesn't have to be during the 4th of July. So the Rally can start and end on any date, and next year the dates are July 22nd - 29th, later in the year. (yes the club had a rule that the Rally must include the 4th of July, why? That is Wally's Birthday!)

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:13 AM   #111
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbeals View Post

But your correct it's not explained anywhere, and if your new you expect to show up the day it starts, and leave the day it ends. And if you only get a weeks vacation time, you have to choose wisely.

This year they gave everyone a earlier parking date to maximize the time at the event.

Damon
I think it was actually a bit deceptive. Based on the announced dates the rally was shortened by a day while the price increased. AS far as I know there was no info to imply parking dates would be as early as the 21st ? for non workers which coupled with the entertainment etc actually is making the rally longer than normal.

The truth is we were not even going to go this year until the dry camping option opened up. I did not receive my parking pass and had to ask about it. At that time I indicated a planned arrival on the 27th (vintage club parade date) and that is indicated on my pass so I don't know what I would have had for a parking date or if I would have taken advantage of it if the pass had shown up with out my intervention.

I have attended a bunch of Internationals starting in 1973 and I don't recall ever getting a non worker parking date before the 25th so you don't have to be new at this to be somewhat confused.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 06-02-2016, 11:03 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I received an email today announcing that spots are starting to open up. The silly season has begun.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-02-2016, 05:12 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Only my second International. Never really thought about it but it does not make sense to have everybody show up on the same day to park. I hope they do not pay by the camp sites by day but have some sort of fixed fee for the entire time the fairgrounds will be tied up? We drew the 23. I was surprised it was that early but we are retired and can be there by then.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:15 AM   #114
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
E mail of rally updates

I just received the e mail this morning. The people putting all this together are doing a great job and it is very helpful to have the advance info.

All the included links help a lot
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 06-12-2016, 06:53 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
I agree with you, Rick. Who would have thought we would need so many spots, when this contract was signed. The folks in charge have done a great job adapting, and the fairgrounds continue to work on amenities.

AWChief- the registrations were closed because we had exceeded capacity. As with most events, life interrupts plans. We hope those who couldn't register originally, can look again.

I am encouraged by improvements in the club. I think the trend will continue.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:55 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Curious, will people currently assigned spots with power/water no sewer be upgraded to sewer spots as people cancel?

Old 06-12-2016, 04:37 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Absolutely. That was the basis for the note I sent you last week.

The folks managing this are working hard to consider everyone's needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:04 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Along with the mini caravan this is going to be a blast. Heading on to VHH tomorrow.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:04 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Thanks Matt

Old 06-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #120
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
3 days away from our arrival at the International Rally! This is our first time, I look forward to joining the 290+ units already on site.

This is gonna be H U G E !!!!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote