Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Windham , New Hampshire
2013 Rally Attendance Tax

In the motions of the 2013 Mid Winter there is a proposal to collect a Dollar from all participating members at each unit function they attend. The plan is to raise up to $15,000 dollars through this fee which goes to the WBCCI general fund. Its just another tax on having fun and only affects those who participate in unit functions. I say this needs to be defeated tell your unit presidents to voice their displeasure with an open ended funding stream. Just my opinion!

wam52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by wam52 View Post
In the motions of the 2013 Mid Winter there is a proposal to collect a Dollar from all participating members at each unit function they attend. The plan is to raise up to $15,000 dollars through this fee which goes to the WBCCI general fund. Its just another tax on having fun and only affects those who participate in unit functions. I say this needs to be defeated tell your unit presidents to voice their displeasure with an open ended funding stream. Just my opinion!
Better would be a non-attendance tax— rather, call it a penalty— so that those who join WBCCI but don't participate in scheduled events also have to pony up a few bucks to support the club. Those who attend are already paying plenty to participate, and shouldn't be saddled with an extra burden.

And I say this as one WBCCI member who would sometimes have to pay a non-attendance penalty, since some of my Unit's events take place when I can't take off from work or have other conflicting commitments.

Or better still, if that much more money is genuinely needed for the general fund to cover a shortfall in the budget, just raise the membership dues, so everyone pays equally, across the board.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
That is simply the most stupid proposal I have heard yet in a club that is rife with stupid proposals. Virtually everyone who attends our functions are the the people that do the most work.

We have 12 unit luncheons, 6 unit rallies, and 2 or more unit campouts each year. I attend them all and work at the majority of them. That would effectively put my dues at about $100 for a heirarchy that does almost nothing for me that the unit would do if we seceded from the club. Our 109 members would make a fine freestanding club.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Better would be a non-attendance tax— rather, call it a penalty— so that those who join WBCCI but don't participate in scheduled events also have to pony up a few bucks to support the club. Those who attend are already paying plenty to participate, and shouldn't be saddled with an extra burden.

And I say this as one WBCCI member who would sometimes have to pay a non-attendance penalty, since some of my Unit's events take place when I can't take off from work or have other conflicting commitments.

Or better still, if that much more money is genuinely needed for the general fund to cover a shortfall in the budget, just raise the membership dues, so everyone pays equally, across the board.
You can not be serious. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #5

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen&sal View Post
You can not be serious. Sal
You're right. I'm not. I'm in favor of no "tax" at all.

If anyone tried to tack on extra fees to feed the general fund, I'd vote with my feet and leave WBCCI as of the very next time my dues come due again. Money collected at a rally or caravan should go toward that rally or caravan, not the general fund.

But, in the interest of fairness, I felt that someone ought to provide options other than "taxing" event attendees just in case the general fund's budget is truly blown. Though I open myself up to scorn and ridicule by proposing alternatives, that at least is more productive than simply saying "Heck, no!"

Even if my personal response would be "Heck, no!"
Old 01-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
That is ABSOULTE crap. I hope it is soundly defeated.
Just who was the Einstein that proposed this anyway????
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
Probably someone who perfers to forever remain anonymous to avoid a lynching. I would guess it's someone very high in the WBCCI food chain, though. Mere rank-and-file members would never even think of something so thoroughly unworkable.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
The motion was made by Judy Bechtbold, #349 and seconded by Robert Stansbury #7374
The rational is basically that the club needs another source of income besides dues because of the dwindling number of members.
WBCCI dues are the highest of any RV club I am familiar with, more than Escapees, good sam and the FMCA. WE hardly need another surcharge to aggravate us and make more work for the unit treasurers that are already dealing with an antiquated dues collection system.

While I am sure the extra buck wouldn't break any of us, it could be the kind of annoyance that makes the membership numbers dwindle even more.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
....>snip<...
Amen to that ... I am pretty positive the 4CU would oppose this at all levels. What a weird thing for anyone to even suggest. It's ridiculous. How would they know who goes to unit rallies? None of them have been to any of ours that i know of ... and how would they ever enforce such an outrageous and frankly, stupid, idea. Feh. It's just one more thing to alienate the very people who make up the club. What are they smoking?
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Extra Revenue for the big boys

The increased revenue would put less pressure on the big boys to look for ways they could run the club more efficiently. Since we have a reduced membership and less revenue coming in for ads and vendor fees, (because our membership is smaller), we need to get modern and do away with costs that do not directly benefit regular members. We have a $200,000 HQ overhead costs and $100,000 for leadership expenses. We have the same number of leaders getting paid, as when we had 23,000 members. We have less than 6,000 members now. We need to "correct size" our management expenses, as other companies have done in the last 15 years.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
We have the same number of leaders getting paid, as when we had 23,000 members. We have less than 6,000 members now. We need to "correct size" our management expenses, as other companies have done in the last 15 years.
The United States of America has over 310,000,000 million people, and only one vice president. WBCCI has less than 6,000 people, and how many vice presidents, exactly?

Something definitely seems wrong with that picture.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Is a motion to tax or level a fee for attending WBCCI functions a dumb idea?
No, it is not dumb, but enacting such a fee will be self-destructive and therefore stupid.

I guess if the motion is made, the administrators will have to follow the bylaws, even if the motion will be detrimental to the membership and the growth of the club. I suggest the cabal investigate the idea, and then consider both the benefits as well as the risks. It is really necessary to understand the ramifications before proposing such a motion.

For the club, what are the comparative advantages taxing active members vs. leaving them alone? For the members, what are the comparative advantages of staying or leaving? The incentives should be in the right place, and they should treat all questions from the viewpoint of the membership, for the interests of the members are in the interest of the club.

Many will stay because $1 is only ‘pocket change,’ and they don’t know of a better alternative. Others with the ‘get-up and go’ will do just that, and feel free to get on with their lives. Hasn’t the club recently suffered a significant outward migration in the past few years when the club tried to impose other hair-brain ideas and very unpopular changes?

If the leadership pushes for approval they will, in effect be guilty of plundering the people that are most actively supporting the activities. The negative perceptions will be more destructive than the extra income. Charge a dollar per rally and lose $65 per year. Has anyone determined the break-even point?
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Great Idea!!

Wayne,

I think the “Rally Tax” is a great idea! In fact, I think we should go one step further than just a $1.00 It should be based on ones ability to pay, which could easy been seen given the type of trailer or motorhome they are camping in at the rally. This progressive tax would work much like the USA income tax system currently works. So those who “have” the most should have to “pay” the most tax.

Kind of like this,

1950’s trailers must pay $0.50
1960’s trailers must pay $1.00
1970’s trailer/MOHO pay $1.50
1980’s trailer/MOHO pay $2.50
1990’s trailer/MOHO pay $5.00
2000’s and newer trailer/MOHO $10.00

This way the rich with their new trailers/MOHO pay the most because they can afford to “give a little more” for the greater good of the club and to help level the playing field for everyone to be able to enjoy this wonderful club as much as the next person.

Enjoy,
Old 01-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
This progressive tax would work much like the USA income tax system currently works. So those who “have” the most should have to “pay” the most tax.
Exactly the opposite of the income tax system, you mean. Not those who earn the most paying the most, but those who have already spent the most paying the most.

Yes, I know you had tongue firmly in cheek when you wrote your proposal. You have, in perfect pastiche, pointed out the fallacy behind the original proposal of an "attendance tax," namely that it's based on, "Well, gee, since you've already spent so much to join WBCCI and to attend this rally, surely you can afford to pay a little more?"

My answer to that, is, "If the club officers get paid a travel subsidy to attend club events, why should the rank and file pony up more and get paid nothing? Just cut the travel subsidies, and you've instantly improved the revenue stream."
Old 01-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
What a great idea to drive away new members ... another tax ... NO! If the great minds need more money, ask directly... don't slide in the back door.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
Protagonist you really had me scared for a second. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
Old 01-03-2013, 04:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
Wayne,

I think the “Rally Tax” is a great idea! In fact, I think we should go one step further than just a $1.00 It should be based on ones ability to pay, which could easy been seen given the type of trailer or motorhome they are camping in at the rally. This progressive tax would work much like the USA income tax system currently works. So those who “have” the most should have to “pay” the most tax.

Kind of like this,

1950’s trailers must pay $0.50
1960’s trailers must pay $1.00
1970’s trailer/MOHO pay $1.50
1980’s trailer/MOHO pay $2.50
1990’s trailer/MOHO pay $5.00
2000’s and newer trailer/MOHO $10.00

This way the rich with their new trailers/MOHO pay the most because they can afford to “give a little more” for the greater good of the club and to help level the playing field for everyone to be able to enjoy this wonderful club as much as the next person.

Enjoy,
Of course we should all realize big brother knows how to spend our money much better than us mere riff raff. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
To equitably share the cost of putting on any rally, all the costs of organizing, promoting, and putting on that rally shall be be paid for from fees to that rally (including officer travel expenses). All Region officers' travel expenses will be paid from the Region Rally fees. 50% of national officers' expenses shall be paid from the International Rally fees collected. There will be no IBT physical meetings funded, other than the ones at the International Rally. All other IBT meetings will be virtual, at no cost.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Perhaps us poor folk with the old trailers could be eligible for a refundable "Rally Tax Credit" to help offset our costs of attending the rally.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master

That's what I'm talking about!

Rick,

How did you know that's where I would be heading with this?

If I attend enough rally's under the rules of the "Rally Tax Credit" program in my old trailer, I might even get a check back at the end of the year for more money than I paid for the rally fee's all year!

Enjoy,