Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #121
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Wow...on behalf of myself and the entire Central Coast California unit, we thank you, Scott & Becky! It was a pleasure meeting you over New Years and to have you join our unit. We look forward to many more rallies with you!

And I agree with Pahaska, whom I hope to meet to find out more about what you're doing right, an easy to find & easy to navigate website with current unit information is absolutely crucial in 1) keeping unit members updated and 2) attracting new members.

There are many units around. Do not feel locked into a local unit but rather find one where you 'connect' with the people. If you're going to spend a weekend with someone you may as well like 'em! And above all, don't forget to focus on "Fun, Friendship & Camping", our unit's motto!
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #122
Fraubear

1968 17' Caravel
Noblesville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPal View Post
. Some units are growing, others are not. Find out what makes the successful units...successful!
Precisely. Retention of 1-2 year members is perhaps the club's greatest impediment to growth.

An excellent presentation on new-member retention was given by Louise Humble and other Membership Chairpersons at the Region 5 Rally. Notes from that presentation are posted on wbcci.org for units to use.

We are also working on a survey of current members to assess how the club can be improved and made more attractive to younger, working Airstream owners and families with children.

Carolyn
ECC
fraubear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #123

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
That's fantastic Carolyn...look forward to hearing the results and actionable items from those surveys!!!
monah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:18 AM   #124
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraubear View Post
We are also working on a survey of current members to assess how the club can be improved and made more attractive to younger, working Airstream owners and families with children.
Apologies for nitpicking, but if the majority of the present membership does not consist of younger, working Airstream owners and families with children, wouldn't it be equally— if not more— productive to also survey non-members, such as here on the AirForums, who fall into that demographic, and see what they think the club will need to offer in order to be attractive to them?

There is a slim but definite distinction between "What do we need to do to keep you as a member?" versus "What do we need to do to get you as a member?"

Retaining people who would otherwise quit the club after a year or two is good, but without attracting more new members as well, it's a stopgap measure to slow the erosion.

As a working Airstream owner and WBCCI member, one thing that would help keep me in the club is more events scheduled to take place on holiday weekends when a lot of people (and kids) already have time off from work/school. Yes, I know that those are traditionally busier times at most campgrounds, and it's harder to get good discounts on holiday weekends. But when I have a choice between taking one extra day off to get a four-day holiday weekend of camping, compared to one extra day off to get a three-day non-holiday weekend of camping, I know which gives me the most bang for my buck. A three-day weekend is hardly worth the trip in many cases, where it's a day's drive out, two nights and one day camping, then a day's drive back in order to get back to work.

When I can swing a full week off, taking four days of vacation time in a holiday week to give me a nine-day vacation, first Saturday to second Sunday, is an even better use of my limited vacation time. But without WBCCI events scheduled during that nine-day window of opportunity, I'm more likely to go camping by myself, or with a group of non-WBCCI friends.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #125
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Someone should be doing exit interviews with those who leave the club.

Some of those who leave post here, but a lot don't.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Exit interview

The membership chairman and the HQ do send out surveys to non-renewers. The results are predictable and published as part of the Membership Chairman's report. The reasons include: sold our Airstream, death or health of one of the partners, ageing out of the lifestyle because of no longer to travel. Response to the request to fill in the survey are the usual 20% or so. Don will be leaving his post this July but you could contact him to gain a more complete perspective. We can not do much about most of the reasons long term members leave. The challenge is to renew the short term members and attracting the new younger generation of Airstreamers. Each unit receives the names of new Airstream owners and most follow up and get a few to look. Many younger working families do not seen to be want to spend $80 to join an existing older set of campers and travelers.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #127

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Many younger working families do not seen to be want to spend $80 to join an existing older set of campers and travelers.
So the only way to attract a younger demographic is to already have a younger demographic? That can't be right!

Maybe a multi-generational approach? Grandparents, parents, kids, all in a group? Here's a thought… Why not a special category of "family" membership? With specific family-oriented events designed to get kids of all ages involved— wait, didn't Disney already do that one?

I'll leave the perks of family membership as an exercise for those with families.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #128
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I'm sure it is difficult to perform an exit interview after death (as someone pointed out to me in a PM), but maybe zombies could do those.

But on a more sane note, the ones to interview are those who leave after a year or two or three. Sending our surveys is not labor intensive and that's why it is done, but phone calls get more results.

We never heard from any WBCCI units after we bought our Airstream.

Gene
Old 01-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #129

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
We never heard from any WBCCI units after we bought our Airstream.
That's unfortunate. When I bought my Airstream, I got calls from two different units within the first week.

Of course, I bought new, from a dealer. If I had bought mine used, in a private sale, I might never have been contacted, either.

Seems to me that WBCCI recruiters, whether at the Unit level, Region level, or the Membership standing committee, ought to be lurking on the AirForums, even if they don't play in the sandbox with the rest of us. They should take note whenever someone announces that he/she has just bought an Airstream, so that said new owner can be contacted with an invitation, even if only through an AirForums private message.

It's hard to personally reach out to a prospective new member if you don't KNOW that they're a prospective new member. On airForums, people will gleefully announce that they're prospective new members, even if they don't realize it until you contact them.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #130
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

That's unfortunate. When I bought my Airstream, I got calls from two different units within the first week..
Would you like to be contacted by phone or a letter introducing you to the local unit and an open invite. I feel a phone call is a bit intrusive and is more of a sales call we're a letter is more inviting. But I'm interested in people's thoughts. I'm in membership.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #131
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Membership recruiting

All though I am not officially in membership, I do contact potential members in 0ur area of the country via PM. I invite them to look us over on our website (which I author) and stop by a rally to meet personally. I think there are other members that do the same. The survey that is being put together by the ECC will hopefully get distributed to potential members who frequent AirForums.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMSHIP View Post
Would you like to be contacted by phone or a letter introducing you to the local unit and an open invite. I feel a phone call is a bit intrusive and is more of a sales call we're a letter is more inviting. But I'm interested in people's thoughts. I'm in membership.
I think a letter or e-mail is appropriate to join. A call is a must when departing. Why would someone who wants to leave after a year or two take the time to fill out a form for something they dislike enough to leave. However, people want to be HEARD.... A call from a person with a listening ear and good demeanor will get all the data you need.

The issue is that new members are looked at as numbers. Look at all the space dedicated in the Blue Beret discussing membership, with a chairmen and everything. There should just be a simple statement. If it is fun they will come.... That's it. Worry about having a great program and the people will come and stay... Heck, I joined, but every year I fight for a reason to stay. I have come up with two. 1. I can't tell Helen ( a wonderful member who is like my Mom; but drinks far more margarit'a ) I am quitting. 2. I want to go to the Balloon fiesta again......

That's it. The international rally was the worst camping/vacation experience I have had in many years. If you are new and working you are ignored. People don't like to be ignored. Believe me I tried a few times and gave up. So if my opinion doesn't count why should my money.

I also think that is why there is so much negativity on the airforums for the club. Since most of those who leave are fed up with not being heard. Here they can vent. And vent they do.

I got the survey and sent it back. Never did get a call about what I wrote. I figured surely I would. It was not rude, distasteful or anything. It was however, not what they wanted to hear.... But I did get a call from Helen and after 45 minutes I knew it was worth $80 to be able to camp with them.

It is a great club, no question about it. However it is not a great club for people my age that still are working and cherish every hour off..... We don't have time for politics, so we look else where.

The club has to decide what it wants to be, than it can either stay as is or build it's base. Either way it will be a great club for that base, maybe not others, but heck this is America, there is more than one club out there!

So in closing;
1. Don't wait till someone leaves to ask why.
2. If you make it fun, they will come.
3. Don't waste your time recruiting, waste your time camping! You will get more people!!
4. If someone replies, Ask more questions! Don't be like" well they filled out the form.... So what are we supposed to do about it.
5. You can only build your base if you accept, welcome and invigorate the new members.
6. Always remember; I am a person, not a number, not $80 and certainly not someone to be ignored because I don't have as much time in the club as you. But I am smarter than you in the fact that I realize, I don't need a club to have fun!

Just my 2 cents; worthless unless discussed over a good Chianti or Port.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #133
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post

Just my 2 cents; worthless unless discussed over a good Chianti or Port.
Thank you.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #134
Fraubear

1968 17' Caravel
Noblesville , Indiana
Survey of Airforum Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
wouldn't it be equally— if not more— productive to also survey non-members, such as here on the AirForums, who fall into that demographic, and see what they think the club will need to offer in order to be attractive to them?
Absolutely. A survey of Airforum members asking just those questions is in the planning stages. Please be patient with us, though. We are volunteers, and a good, objective survey is not easy to create. We want to get it right and hope to have the survey and the results completed by June.

Carolyn
ECC
fraubear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #135
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Lots of great conversation happening here! Can we convince Don to stay on come July? During my short tenure in the WB, I've seen changes, they are coming. Baby steps, perhaps, but we're moving ahead.
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #136

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMSHIP View Post
Would you like to be contacted by phone or a letter introducing you to the local unit and an open invite. I feel a phone call is a bit intrusive and is more of a sales call where a letter is more inviting. But I'm interested in people's thoughts. I'm in membership.
Could go either way on that one. There will be people who feel that a phone invitation is a (small) step up from telemarketing— "Have we got a deal for you!" Plus, with call screening, thay may simply not answer a call from an unfamiliar number in the first place.

Conversely, there will be people who feel that a phone call is more personal than a form letter— "Dear [fill in the blank], You are invited to join WBCCI, the official Airstream owner's club…" The phone call certainly gives the potential applicant the opportunity to have their questions answered. And there's a definite psychological advantage to hearing a cheerful voice talking about something they enjoy, that would make the listener feel like they'd have fun as well.

On the other hand (we're up to what, three hands now?), a written invitation that lists Units in the prospective member's georgraphical area, with contact information in those units, "Please contact [fill in the blank] at [phone number] or [e-mail] for more information about [insert unit name]…" gives the person an opportunity to shift from written to voice contact at their own discretion.

If you're using the AirForums as a way to identify new Airstream owners, then a private message is almost mandated, as you may not have any other contact information. Again, a PM giving contact information so that the prospective member can call if they choose, or continue to e-mail, seems the best approach.

Side note, on WBCCI.org, might want to change the tab "Join" to "Not a Member?" Don't even have to change the information on that page, just the heading. I do think that some people might be reluctant to click a link entitled "Join" if they're not sure yet that they want to join. Calling it "Not a Member?" would make it more likely that non-members would select that link.

Another side note, on the "Not a Member?" tab suggested above, a listing of scheduled Buddy Rallies that non-members can attend, with an open invitation to same, would definitely be appropriate. "See for yourself what WBCCI is all about at one of our Buddy Rallies…" Preferably the schedule would be somewhere on the page that the prospective new member doesn't have to follow a whole chain of hyperlinks to find it. One link on the "Not a Member?" page, click, and there's a calendar of Buddy Rallies, with every unit's scheduled Buddy Rallies all in one place.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #137
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Heck, I joined, but every year I fight for a reason to stay. I have come up with two. 1. I can't tell Helen ( a wonderful member who is like my Mom; but drinks far more margarit'a ) I am quitting. 2. I want to go to the Balloon fiesta again......
You don't have to be a member to go to the balloon rally. You're down to one reason.

As for not being contacted after we bought—we did buy new and most of what we got from the dealer was info on a couple of RV campgrounds that would try to sell us a pad. Those CG's called us several times over a few years; nothing from the WBCCI.

Gene
Old 01-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #138
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Recruitment and Rentention

As a member of the Younger, Working, and Kids-Having demographic that WBCCI is targeting I have been watching this thread and the hand-wringing of the WBCCI both on these forums and the free copy of the Blue Beret I can read online with great interest. This is my response:

To Whom it may concern.

The WBCCI has virtually nothing to offer me that I cannot get here, and get here for free.

I have nothing against the WBCCI, it is an organization that has done many a great thing, but I do believe it is one that's getting left and doesn't know how to reinvent itself.

We got our Airstream around Thanksgiving 2011 and have been enjoying it (and rebuilding it) ever since. I started researching WBCCI and AirForums rallies and caravans. There isn't that much offered around here in N Louisiana and caravans are out of the question. I've got two children in public school and my wife is also a teacher. We get one week in the spring, one at Thanksgiving, two at Christmas, a handful of four day weekends, and two and a half months during the summer. Our vacation time is very precious and very specific on when it can be. At one point I got so discouraged about not having anything within a reasonable driving distance for a weekend I threw my own rally. I didn't know what I was doing, but people came. We made great friends at that rally (we were the youngest there by decades and the only ones with kids) but that didn't matter, we all had a blast and I'm doing it again.

Since then, we've attended another rally in Texas last November and The Canopener worked it's way into our Christmas Vacation this year. Both of those rallies we made great friends and met up with friends from previous rallies, had wonderful activities, open houses, meals and people that I swear would drive three hours in the rain just to come help you out.

All of this was put on by plain people. No "official" representatives, no dues, no parliamentary procedures, and no pressure. Do as little or as much as you want, just have fun.

I understand WBCCI's issues and I know why they're worried. Even in one of the largest forum rallies there is, there were three families with kids and only a handful of people I would consider "my age" (we actually weren't the youngest ones there this time). Like Protagonist said earlier, there needs to be a younger demographic to attract the younger demographic. With little to attract the younger demographic, I'm afraid it's going to be a hard nut to crack.
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #139
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I would prefer to be contacted by E mail, snail mail. or PM.( I was ) Chances are if you phone and I don;t recognize the number you are going to talk to voice mail anyway.
Have finally learned there is no need to crawl out from under a vehicle or whatever just because the phone is ringing.
A ringing phone seems to generate some kind of urgency to answer. Other methods can be dealt with when convenient.
Don't even bother to send a text message.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #140
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
[/QUOTE]
I understand WBCCI's issues and I know why they're worried. Even in one of the largest forum rallies there is, there were three families with kids and only a handful of people I would consider "my age" (we actually weren't the youngest ones there this time). Like Protagonist said earlier, there needs to be a younger demographic to attract the younger demographic. With little to attract the younger demographic, I'm afraid it's going to be a hard nut to crack.[/QUOTE]

I believe it can be done.

I have attended an "alternate event" The Birthday Bash" the last 3 years.
The Bash seems to be able to attract a younger crowd. Now at this point that would be practically everyone, but I was in my early 30's when I joined the club.

At any rate there were plenty of kids there. The guy who said kids should be seen and not heard never answered the question of why anyone would even want to see one.

That being said, The herds of kids at the bash were kept busy, were well behaved. and a pleasure to be around.

The point being, It can be done in ways that are appealing to the younger crowd with out alienating those of us who recently graduated from the school of curmudgeonry
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote