Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2008, 09:42 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
We love our moho because it's really hard to pull my racecar trailer behind a travel trailer!

But ours is a shiny silver tube and not a square white box.

Susan
And it's an AIRSTREAM/ARGOSY

Life is good when your RV "reflects" your good taste.

Barry
Old 02-25-2008, 11:03 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Yep, I agree with 65 Michael - someone needs to ask the unit Prez the hard question and to figure out who is driving this. It would sure be helpful to know if this is a personal agenda, a large group, or is being orchestrated elsewhere and your region is simply being used as the sponsor.

Ralph - good post on the WBCCI forum, thanks for that.

I suspect they are getting more activity there today than they have had for quite some time. It will hopefully get someones attention.

And to those who feel quiting is the answer, when you do that we lose one more strong voice and your vote to fix it. It's not the WBCCI that's buggered up, it's the current executive in place. Instead get hold of your local executive and ask them how they intend to vote, tell them of your displeasure at this coming up again, and that if they do so you will leave the organization as they are not respecting your wishes or the majority of the club. Telling them directly will have a lot of impact and if enough people do this perhaps this won't get further than it has.

Barry
Old 02-26-2008, 05:23 AM   #43
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
right on something to get everyone worked up again....

I want to offer some reality. Many members of the WBCCI ( Wally Byam Caravan Club International) are former military. They fought for a little thing called "Democracy". Democracy is interesting because we do not live in a democracy we live in a Republic. A Democracy is a system in which everyone has an equal vote or an equal say as to the matters of society. The system we live in is actually a Republic. In a republic, the masses elect a few to speak for them. This is the current system we have today. The WBCCI is the same as our form of government. However it has not always been that way. In the early days it was the WBCC. The key word was "CARAVAN" the club was formed by the folks that had caravanned. Today very few member caravan at all, even to and from rallies. Today we are really a rally club. The system was to vote on everything, the minority always followed the majority. Somewhere along the line the club became "International" and we had to send people to represent our wishes. If the people you sent are not speaking for you, then you sent the wrong guys. The club is in decline, the members are getting older and the situation is looking bleak from the top. If the MOHO thing passes it just might be great in my eyes. It will spurn a revolution throughout the club and the splinter groups can all form their own groups without fear of upsetting the club as a whole. The vintage people can go off and have the club they really want, the motor home people can have their club, the generator users can have theirs, and on down the line. But best of all everyone will be able to stop getting so upset about a club, that WAS about getting out there and seeing the world.
I look forward to cast my vote. I was very opposed to diluting the waters of the club, but I have come to realize no one is ever happy with the situation. I am now more inclined to vote in favor of the MOHO's, it might finally end all the division and divisiveness within, for it just might be the ticket to eventual club collapse. Viva la Revolution....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:08 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
I was a member in the former Avion, now Fleetwood Club. The motorhome issue divided the club and it was never the same. Fleetwood now has NO travelcades in the planning and are operating very close to the ends of the bank account.
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:00 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby
I was a member in the former Avion, now Fleetwood Club. The motorhome issue divided the club and it was never the same. Fleetwood now has NO travelcades in the planning and are operating very close to the ends of the bank account.
And I pointed this fact out last year - it is entropic to allow any other brand in the club. Ironic that products actually made by Airstream had a hard time getting in (case in point Argosy, B-Van, etc...) but some big 'ol SOB should just be allowed in to meet the "needs" of perhaps a few dozen members at the probable expense of scuttling the club (a la Fleetwood). It just doesn't make sense at all.
But then again, I have not seen a lot of sense coming out of our leadership in the last few years.

No means NO!
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I emailed Don Clark, Region 12 President, and asked what he knew about the motorhome issue. His reply was " I do not know of a motion to resurrect the motorhome issue"

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:39 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
I emailed Don Clark, Region 12 President, and asked what he knew about the motorhome issue. His reply was " I do not know of a motion to resurrect the motorhome issue"

Bill
That sure would be good to know Bill. Keep us posted if you hear differently.

Barry
Old 02-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #48
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
In just over a twenty-four hour period I have seen 48 posts in this thread pop up over an issue we thought was over. Currently I have not seen anything that can be documented and proven authentic that the MoHo issue is being brought infront of the IBT again. Remain calm! As many of you know I support WBCCI and it's commitment to our members of keeping the club true to it's form. Yes we need changes within to keep up with our changing members and the lifestyles we all live today. One of the many resons I ran for Region 1 2nd VP was to help guide the club into the future, keep it a true single brand member club and still hold onto some of the values our founders believed in. Well I did receive my nomination from the floor and I did receive votes but not enough to win the election. With that said, I am still a firm believer in the great club and I encourage everyone to join. The more like minded folks who are members and willing to let their voices be heard, the better the chance for this great organization to continue.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

Windham , New Hampshire
Hi Gang,
I've not seen any information that would lead me to believe that this motion is sanctioned by the IBT. It's a Unit Motion sponsored by a Region President.
While the Board may be sympathetic to the cause, Jumping all over them as a scapegoat for underhanded tactics is a bit premature.

While we all feel a bit betrayed by this action, the fact remains that all units will have the same opportunity to vote. This forum and others will see to it that the membership is both informed and ready to ward off more senseless motions.

As a VAC Officer I had my run in with the Board in 2004 and 2006 and it’s never the same.
The Board changes with the personality of the current President. It would appear that the IBT avoided this subject at the Winter Meeting with good reason. This fact along with the specter of this new motion would lead those who love a good conspiracy to believe that there is a plot afoot to subjugate the members and "steal" there dues by changing the very nature of the club.

Let’s not go overboard, yet! Keep an eye out for the situation as it develops and act according to your convictions. Uses the parliamentary process to make your voices heard and make your own motion to end the onslaught of repeated attempts to subvert the will of the members.

I regret being so angry in 2006 that in a fit of rage over their actions, I sent in my resignation. After much reconsideration and support from my WBCCI/VAC friends I decided to remain a member. There really is a great community of people in our club, lets not dis them by the actions of few.

If by some quirk of fate and the efforts of those so disposed, to change the club, actually succeed, we will all have a decision to make. My advice to those who would leave now is, wait!!!

We will need to find you when we start the next Airstream club!

Wayne A. Moore
VAC/WBCCI 15116
Past Prez WDCU 2002
Past Prez VAC 2006
wam52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:46 PM   #50
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
...I realize that the Cutters, Landyachts, Skydecks, etc. all carry the Airstream name but they surely look like all the other SOBs out there - big fiberglass boxes. If JAXON's opinion holds true, would Wally have been seen in those? I've been accused of being stuck in the '60's (what's wrong with that??) so when I think of Airstreams, I always think shinny rounded aluminum, usually vintage. ...Darol
Actually, in the 1950's while Wally Byam was still at the helm, Airstream did experiment with...gasp...fiberglass Airstreams! They were even white...oh, my! Granted they still had the tubular shape. Let us not forget that the original Airstreams weren't aluminum at all but were made of wood and Masonite and were given the 'Airstream' name because, even with such linear materials, Wally was able to produce a streamlined and functional design that had superior towing characteristics even in the 1930's. Just look at Doc. Holman's 1936 Airstream. It is now covered in aluminum, but originally it was just Masonite sided. So I guess that might mean that Wally would have been seen in one of the modern fiberglass box Airstream motorhomes and even one of the Squarestreams or Squargosies. He might have even allowed non-Airstreams in the club in the early days.

But, after he passed, the club collectively decided it wanted to be Airstream only. We all know that there was debate and great difficulty for Argosy, Class-A and B-van Airstream products to be allowed into this post-WB club. This is the hypocrisy of the officers and crux of the idea of SOB motorhomes for many of the members today. Like many, I joined an "Airstream only" club and that is what I want in the club.

The only palatable way I could see allowing SOB's in the club would to form an intra organizational sub-club for SOB's for senior members similar to the Classic Airstream Club and the Vintage Airstream Club. Give them specific requirements that they had to have owned an Airstream product (including an Airstream or Argosy motorhome) up until the time they wished to buy an SOB; had to have been a member for a certain number of years; and the member had to be a certain age or have a medical reason for not being able to handle a travel trailer any more, i.e. bad back, heart problems, limited mobility, etc.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:27 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
That's a sore point Darol. Airstream motorhomes are NOT the issue. Very simply it is a matter of brand identity and NOT the iconic shape. Last time around many members who own anything other than the silver tubes felt uncomfortable with the entire proceedings. This is a lose/lose situation once again. No one profits from the IBT's acting out their own initiatives for the sake of a few of their friends to remain, not in the club, but to remain IN POWER. And we all know how much they work to shut other motions out that would jeopardise their control. They are in and we just can't get them out. They have taken the club hostage. And yeah Brian, that is what Wally did. a vote for every member. Elections were simple. As it stands now you have to jump through hoops to get your vote counted in person and then presented by a delegate at International or your entire units votes aren't counted. And that happened!!! And not only did that happen but the leaders actually blocked motions to prevent that from happening again. Why we oughtta...impeach the lot of them and start anew.
Wow Carol thanks for the education. It sounds like alot of work for something recreational. It all sounds crazy.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:53 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
As I noted to a WBCCI member who e-mailed me privately -- my resignation letter is already on the way.

I jumped in to this fight last year with letters and phone calls (because were were on the road from March to October). Since my wife and I had just shaken loose and had yet to attend any WBCCI functions, our opinions were simply ignored. We had no "cred" as the kids would say.

This winter I've had some medical challenges (annoying not gruesome) and I just can't seem to muster the energy to keep fighting these people. I simply exploded when it came out that my region, under the leadership of a guy from my unit, is resurrecting the whole thing.

I probably should have slept on it but life is too short to suffer fools.....

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
No News

I also contacted my Region's leadership (Region 7) and both have the same story, they know nothing about this.

So with that said I'm going with no news is good news, but.................

Make sure you go to your Unit's spring rally just in case there is a vote on this subject!
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick
I also contacted my Region's leadership (Region 7) and both have the same story, they know nothing about this.

So with that said I'm going with no news is good news, but.................

Make sure you go to your Unit's spring rally just in case there is a vote on this subject!
Ed,

That is good news. Voting on this type of issue is always in our newsletter so that the members have the opportunity to make their position known, even if they cannot make the meeting.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #55
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
trivia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
What do they call ROACHES in FL? A Palmetto bug? A ROACH is a ROACH and this one will go gooey no matter when it hits...

__
The correct term for a Palmetto Bug is an American Cockroach. The tourism department didn't want northerners to realize we also had cockroaches, and big ones to boot, so they renamed 'em...
You can read whatever you want into the reference, but I can attest to there being some really big cockroaches in Florida, and not all of them have 6 legs.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Bug Man

When I lived in Memphis, we had a Bug Man come by each month, we may need a WBCCI Bug Man soon!
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:44 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
WOW! I feel so bad for you AS trailer owners. I gave up my WBBCI membership for 2008, but I might have to reinstate to fight this thing. There are other clubs for MH owners. Leave the AS trailer owners alone and quit screwing up their club. WBBCI is for Airstream owners period. I guess I can't blame them for traveling and getting paid for it from WBCCI. You trailer folks should make a motion to ban all MHs. Airstreams included.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #58
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
I will never understand the mean spirited action by a unit to bring the Motorhome issue back to the table, and in a last-minute and under-the-table method! Like it or not, they want it there way!
JB
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Buck your support along with Grace's against the SOB motion was appreciated and went far to further the knowlege that every Airstream motorhome owner was not looking to change the Airstream identity of the club. For that we all thank you.

I was sorry to learn you decided to leave WBCCI this year as you are the kind of people we need and enjoy to be members with.

The silent tragedy of all the IBT's irresponsibility is that they have pitted member against member and caused an undercurrent that is not easily healed.

All products made by Airstream are Airstreams and this IS the club for you and me and legions of others. They robbed us of our joy these past few years, but hold fast they DO NOT represent the spirit of WBCCI!

Do not count us down for the count or yourselves out, take time and then come back. We want you back!

We not only lost you two but we also lost Jim and Marianne Mickle also active in office in the WBCCI and Airstream motorhome owners. The IBT is so out of touch they do not even see what turmoil and fall-out they have created. I am so sorry. It never was a motorhome issue. Heavy casualties, and abuses have been rampant.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:20 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
Carol, thanks for the kind words. they are appreciated. I can't believe the controversy these folks like to stir up. The FMCA has three times the members and the IBT is constantly in touch with their membership. Course they don't fly flags and have special parking spots. We will reinstate to attend the convention in WI. and get rid of this motion. Leo didn't think they could get it together fast enough to present it at Bozeman.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote