Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Robert (Frantic Banana), Yes. And inexpensive, too! Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:14 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
This non Airstream Moho crowd is a real pain in the neck. Fortunately the fun I have with the FCU outwieghs the misery these nitwits cause.

Sadly or gladly depending on your view. These folks won't be around too much longer and we'll be rid of these self centered short sighted people.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:15 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
AAAK it's BAAACK

I thought it was written that you can't step into the same river twice.. But here we are, wading through the same water we waded last year.
That was a pretty good question "BTW, I know I'm a trailer person, but really what IS the appeal of MOHO's to seniors?".
Here's my personal answer. I don't like MoHo's per se, but being a VW addict, the Interstate appealed to me. It is the idea of being able to drive and park it almost anywhere you can park a 4-door pickup (except those parking structures), plus have your little efficiency apartment along. It's not for extended stays at a campground, it's for touring. It's not a McMansion, more like a motel room with a small kitchen. Wake up in the AM, unplug the shore power, coil up the cord, light off and roll. At night, find a campground, dump the holding tank, park, plug in shore power, eat supper and relax.
That's my answer, and I'm sticking to it.
regards
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It's the "and officers" part of the proposal that bothers me most. If a member that currently owns an Airstream motor home replaces the motohome with an SOB, maybe that should be considered. BUT, I don't think they should be allowed to be officers of the club.
We've been to this barbeque before, and I understand the club is trying to retain membership until a long-term solution is found, but...
The club SHOULD be about people of like minds camping and pursuing outdoor interests together, that just happen to own Airstream products.
I had a much longer response ready to post, but I don't think it would be proper for a moderator to express those opinions that strongly.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
Impeach the SOB's and I don't mean the motorhomes, these sob's are the IBT!
Yes we can can! (them) I wish.

Appeal of Motorhomes? They are roomy and are good for wheelchairs and spouses or family of infirm members of the family, less transferring in and out and outdoor chores.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Strong Like Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I had a much longer response ready to post, but I don't think it would be proper for a moderator to express those opinions that strongly.
We understand...but long is good.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested

Appeal of Motorhomes? They are roomy and are good for wheelchairs and spouses or family of infirm members of the family, less transferring in and out and outdoor chores.
Carol,

I disagree, if you are in a wheelchair, as my wife is, it is much easier to get her to walk up three steps into our trailer than six or seven into a motorhome (unless you have a lift). On some motorhomes the entrance door is at the passenger seat and you must then navigate past the seat. The trailer door does not have those restraints.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:32 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
That's very true Bill. I suppose there are many varied circumstances. My friend is considering a lift that swings out of the way since her family member cannot climb the stairs at all. The necessary wide wheel chair needs to be used inside as well with plenty of room to negotiate through the RV. It will save her back from lifting as often and transferring from tow vehicle to RV in all kinds of weather. And in some cases there are people that stay in the motorhome for weeks on end without having to get out if not traveling alone. I just can see why a motorhome has appeal for these two friends that suits their needs.

As a side neither of these friends are interested in the WBCCI, so I was just throwing that out to the poster in wonderment of appeal.

I am trying to color the issue of SOB motorhomes in the WBCCI. It's an Airstream club, I joined an Airstream club I want it to remain, always was and always should be. Once that is lost, the history of the Airstream club ends.

photography
Old 02-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Carol,

There are many advantages to each type of RV. We joined an Airstream club and not an RV club and we want it to remain an Airstream club.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Carol,

There are many advantages to each type of RV. We joined an Airstream club and not an RV club and we want it to remain an Airstream club.

Bill
I totally agree with you Bill!

photography
Old 02-25-2008, 08:02 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
I I also understand that rehabbing a classic Airstream MOHO isn't for the faint of heart (or faint of pocketbook)!
$0

Paula, you got it right on both accounts! We have two Airstream motorhomes and an Excella trailer. Reworking a trailer will generally cost less because it has fewer mechanicals.

Susan (Alumatube) got it right when she said neither of us are interested in a club that has so many issues with the top brass. We both work as government contractors and we get enough of that BS every working day to want to deal with it in our leisure time.

Just my $0.02 worth

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Just slapped a stamp on this. Don't want to play anymore.

Jerry Collins, President
WBCCI Headquarters
PO Box 612
Jackson Center, OH 45334

Dear President Collins,

In light of the recent disclosure that the Region 3 leadership intends to resurrect the effort to allow non-Airstream built recreational vehicles into the Wally Byam Caravan Club International, my wife and I would like to resign our membership immediately.

"No" meant no.

Sadly,

Michael Hassall
WBCCI 15841

cc: Ms. Frances Perucci, Pres., South Florida Unit
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:18 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
One question.. Why on earth would anybody with a SOB even want to be in our club??? If you have a SOB.. Join a SOB club!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 08:24 PM   #34
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
The parent company of Airstream is Thor, not Fleetwood.
You're right - forgot... SOB... they all look the same...

The point remains, though...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
After carefull and thoughtfull consideration on this matter, I have figured out a way for this to work. It is quite simple and meets club requirements. Take the money that has been saved by purchasing an SOB and buy a Base Camp to pull behind.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
A suggestion

Making your feelings known on the Airforums is great but I can assure you that it isn't having any effect on the WBCCI as a whole.

If you truly are against this you need to log in to the WBCCI Forums and there is a thread started by 65GT raising this concern. Post your thoughts there as well even if you just cut and paste what you've said here into a post there.

WBCCI Forum -

If they see a groundswell of unhappy members inundating their Forum with issues like this maybe, and I say maybe, they will start to realize that they have created a big problem for themselves.

Right now they are believing that they are doing the right thing. They don't hear or read much of anything off of this site - I suspect they may see it as a competitor for the attention of Airstream owners. But you through your annual dues are paying for that site and it's a great place to let them know how you feel. Trust me on that one, I've been letting them know of my disillusionment lately.

Go there, let them know your feelings. You paid for it, if you don't use it how are they going to know the true feelings of the lowly first generation members?

Oh yeah, you might want to be a bit politer over there than I have been . I suspect they'll be burning a fat balding doll in effigy of me at Bozeman.

And I still think that wearing a black armband at WBCCI events to show our dismay at what the IBT are doing will start to let them know that we do care and we are not happy.

Barry
Old 02-25-2008, 09:01 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
We love our moho because it's really hard to pull my racecar trailer behind a travel trailer!

But ours is a shiny silver tube and not a square white box.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #38

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I just posted my displeasure on the WBCCI Forum, and I highly encourage all WBCCI members to post there. Maybe the leadership will wake up.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:27 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
I just posted my displeasure on the WBCCI Forum, and I highly encourage all WBCCI members to post there. Maybe the leadership will wake up.

Brian
AND SO DID I BRIAN!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags

Brian
Good post there Brian,

Thanks for doing that.

Barry