Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > Safari slide out models - all years
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
Slide out questions.......please. 2004

Hello, looking at a slide out safari model 28ft.

I am concerned about my F250 towing this ? Any problems ?

What is this talk of a new hitch I might need ? Class V or something ?

I have a VERY heavy tow package insert with ball and the shank is solid not hollow........would this do it ?

Is the tow weight very different on these models than a 25 safari ?

Can anyone please give me some info. that I can learn about these models pros and cons please ?

My sincere thanks,

Robbie R.
Robbie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Robbie, What year is the trailer? The hitch weight changed around 2003. The older 28' SO's have a heavier hitch weight. The newer ones are rated 1040 lbs, although when I weighed mine it was actually 980 lbs fully loaded. A class IV hitch is rated to 1200 lbs so it is no problem for the newer 28' slides.

Some of the members have gone to a class V hitch, but those are generally ones that have 34' SO's Those are generally rated about 1250 lb hitch weight. If you call Airstream they can give you the hitch weight for the trailer you are thinking about.

As far as towing with the F250, that is no problem. I tow mine with an F250 diesel and it is a great match. Just make sure you have weight distribution bars and anti sway. I use a Hensley hitch and I love it.

I really like my slide out. It gives me a little extra room in the living area. have had no problems after 3 years and only a minor leak when the slide was open during an extremely heavy wind driven rain.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Im using the Reese dual cam. Im very happy with the stability of the trailer with this unit. The tongue weight is very heavy so once you decide on the type of hitch you want get every thing weighed and dial it in. There a tons of threads here that deal with that. Enjoy you S/O. We love ours.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
Year is 04. Thank you all. I am still working trying to get it home.............

Robbie R.
Robbie R. is offline   Reply With Quote