Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > Safari slide out models - all years
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
rjd
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Riverside , California
Smile Our First (AND LAST) Airstream 2004

Thursday, we picked up a new to us 2005 Airstream Safari S/O. Friday, we were off on our maiden voyage to Spirit West Coast Del Mar . Whooo Hooo!

We love our Airstream! It tows like a dream, and was obviously built to last. Absent unforeseen circumstances, I can't see myself in any other RV!

We pulled the Airstream without an anti-sway bar and felt ZERO sway while driving next to 18 wheelers . The Airstream towed as solid as our last RV (38' 12k+ lb 5th wheel).

My only "issue" has to do with a few minor dents and scratches courtesy of the last owner . I guess I won't be obsessing over the first "scratch." Oh Oh Oh! Almost forgot! I took out my driver's side skid plate on Friday while turning into a grocery store's parking lot . Option 1 will be bend it back into place. Option 2 will be total replacement. Do you have any recommendations on how to deal with the skid plate? Has anyone replaced the plates with wheels?

RJD
2005 Airstream Safari LS S/O
2003 GMC 3500 CC Duramax/Allison
rjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
RJ,

Welcome to the Forum. And welcome to the ranks of addicted Airstream owners.

I think you are referring to the vertical plate attached to the rear frame. If you are, then I would try to straighten it and endeavor to not bend it again, if at all possible. As for attaching wheels, as those with other brands of trailers do, doing so might encourage you to not worry about dragging the rear. Airstream frames are different from others in that the skin of the ship is part of the structure - the top holds up the bottom, and the frame is less stout. If you regularly or severely bottom out your back end, you risk damaging that relationship.

As for me, when I get caught and know that my rear might drag, I grit my teeth and hope I haven't screwed up. Wheels would not help my worry.

As for sway, please always use anti-sway control of some sort. Airstreams are not immune from sway, even though they may be better at it.

Happy trails!

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Congratulations on your Airstream!

We were concerned by the title of the posting that maybe you were not happy with your Airstream purchase.

We own an '05 also, and we fully expect it to be our last Airstream, as we expect it will last until we are ready to stop travelling and camplng.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:23 PM   #4
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
Congrats on your new '05...we also have an "05 and love it....and we agree with above info
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:22 AM   #5
rjd
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Riverside , California
Thanks for the replys!

Pat, you were right. I was referring to the verticle plates. I am working on straightening it out. Definately not an easy task!

I'm going to consider your advise regariding the anti-sway control. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

To all others. I find myself obsessing more and more every day! Love it!
Old 05-31-2007, 09:48 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new baby.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Welcome to the forums, and hopefully you meant you're keeping your Airstream forever! We bought our first Airstream a few months ago and love it. It might be our last Airstream as well, unless we tired with the rasselin' match to make the bed

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:48 PM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Part of the process is to look ahead when you head into parking lots other streets etc and look for those telltale grooves in the ground (where other vehicles have drug). In many cases if you take it slow you might avoid a drag. In other cases I've seen the drag marks and gone on to a safer area to get access or make that turn. The key in most cases is to take it slow and easy (not always easy of you are left turning across on coming traffic). Even if you do drag, the most damage will be the paint on the skid bar.

I also echo the others. Get some type of anti-sway control.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd
Do you have any recommendations on how to deal with the skid plate? Has anyone replaced the plates with wheels?
Best just not to drag the tail. It's been said don't use wheels -- makes it too tempting and the frame shell connection can be damaged pretty quickly when you subject it to stresses immediately opposite of gravity sag.

I slightly bent one of my protective c-channel guards the first month of our '06's ownership. I've come to recognize high crowned streets and gas stations with those entryways that are nothing more than wide curbs. You'll bend the guard if you turn into the gas station or store at an otherwise reasonable 2-3 mph. You must go dead slow. Also, there is more clearance if you go up the curb at an angle rather than entering at 90 degrees. If it drags, it drags. At least it won't bend. This is a very exposed area and extremely easy for a local welding shop to replace the drag guard you have -- a little POR-15 and it looks as good as new!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Hi and welcome aboard.

Don't worry about that skid plate. Its there to be scraped and bent. You can always replace it when you need to.

You are in luck as a Ca. resident. There is active forum camping here. You have the NorCal group and Cal Streamers. Between the two we can't seem to go two monthes without a rally.

Calstreamers is going to Pyramid lake 7/20-7/22 you are of course invited. We love meeting old friends for the first time. Run Cal Streamers under the search function and join us in July. In Oct. will be a NorCal near Paso Robles. Remember the idea is to use that trailer!

P.S. Please post pictres of your new baby. We love pictures here.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:08 PM   #11
rjd
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Riverside , California
I appreciate everyone's advise on the skid plates.
Now I don't feel so bad.

Regarding Pyramid lake... that's a definate maybe :-) I'll know more by the end of the week.

I'll be posting pictures soon.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:02 PM   #12
rjd
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Riverside , California
Well Guys... Here's the update on the pictures.

The Airstream, though bought used, was purchased form a SOBrand dealer. As part of the "prep," a "wise" technician filled the black water tank with a hose through the toilet. He apparently forgot his Ritalin, distracted himself, and overflowed the toilet. It didn’t end there. He didn’t bother to remove the water from the carpet, closed up the Airstream for a couple of warm spring days, and mildewed the carpet. The dealer has been great about addressing the issue. We gave them the opportunity to try to "clean" the carpet, which we were sure wouldn’t work. Today, they conceded that the carpet needs to be replaced and are in the process of doing so.
The dealer is also in the process of fixing the bedroom light.
Careful inspection has revealed no other water damage.

I anticipated having the Airstream back home by today; however, it’s obviously going to take a little longer. I promise to upload pictures when it’s back home. Also, we plan to join you at Pyramid Lake in July. We will be making the reservations soon.

"THINK OUTSIDE THE big white BOX"

GMC 3500 CC/Dually Dmax
28' Safari S/O
Old 06-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Always Something. At least they owned up to it. Good luck.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Well the upside is you get new carpet. Did you get to pick the color?

Look forward to seeing you at Pyramid. Don't forget to sign up on the rally page.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 06-08-2007, 10:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Good to go

rjd,

Great to hear you can make it to the Summer Rally at Pyramid Lake RV Resort......Make your reservation with the resort directly and then sign up on the rally calendar page. Then, just post your desired space type, (pull through or back in), on the California Streamers Summer Rally thread and we will make sure you get an assigned space number.

Make sure you scotch guard the new carpet...we have some wine drinkers in the group, and if they make it into your Airstream for some reason (hopefully by invitation), you will understand.

John
Old 06-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Legal warning

Once you go to a forums rally you will be hooked.

When you get home from Pyramid you will sign up for the NorCal Rally. There we've warned you any fun you have from now on is your own fault.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 06-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #17
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Welcome Aboard !

Hope to see you at Pyramid Lake. I take it your Safari does not have the exterior tank flush connector. you just connect the hose to the outside and after you dain the black water you rise through the flush connection.

Anyway, Congrats on your new AS. Look forward seeing you at the Lake !
PS:: If you click here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...y-32796-2.html
at go to #75, we have a map you can click on to get a look at the rv facility.

Take care and remember...... wherever you go...There you are !

R/
Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:50 AM   #18
rjd
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Well the upside is you get new carpet. Did you get to pick the color?

Look forward to seeing you at Pyramid. Don't forget to sign up on the rally page.
Nope. I don't get to pick the color. It will probably match the cream color in the bedroom. Not the best color for camping. Personally, I would prefer vinyl flooring or pergo. It would be much easier to keep clean.

GMC 3500 CC/Dually Dmax
28' Safari S/O
Old 06-09-2007, 12:52 AM   #19
rjd
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
rjd,

Great to hear you can make it to the Summer Rally at Pyramid Lake RV Resort......Make sure you scotch guard the new carpet...we have some wine drinkers in the group, and if they make it into your Airstream for some reason (hopefully by invitation), you will understand.

John
My wife and I should fit right in

GMC 3500 CC/Dually Dmax
28' Safari S/O
Old 06-09-2007, 12:56 AM   #20
rjd
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick
Welcome Aboard !

... I take it your Safari does not have the exterior tank flush connector. you just connect the hose to the outside and after you drain the black water you rise through the flush connection...

R/
Safari-Rick
As a matter of fact, we do have the exterior tank flush! You have to wonder about the service technician's common sense (or lack their of).

GMC 3500 CC/Dually Dmax
28' Safari S/O