Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2003, 12:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
Garden Grove , CA
The Battery

As in everything else since we bought this 22' CCD trailer about a year ago, I'm having to learn everything from scratch. Does the trailer give the battery just what it needs when plugged in so it doesn't overcharge? And does everyone have a hydrometer to test the charge? I had not added any distilled water at all since we've had it and it looked like it may have needed some. I could see water, but I could also see something else down there. Perhaps it wasn't covering the plates. Anyway, it may need even more water. I've plugged it in now and set the battery disconnect switch to "use" so we'll see how it goes now. See if it can get up to 12 volts at least. I've researched the deep cycle battery and just hope the battery is still good so I can take proper care of it. Sigh. Thanks...any responses will be welcome.

Christine
ChrisAich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 03:09 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Garden Grove , CA
Okay...I am not panicking here. It's 4.5 hours later and the battery after unplugging, turning the battery disconnect switch off then on again, read 12 volts. Okay. Things are looking good. I put a little bit more water in each cell and will continue charging for another 4 hours or so, check it and then I'll quit.

I reserve the right though to air my panic here at any time.

Christine
Old 09-27-2003, 03:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Christine, here's the deal on water and batteries. There's a "ring" down inside the watering holes in each cell of your battery. The water level should be up to where it touches that ring.

Here's some more battery information.

Note: I didn't write that, and have not checked it. Your mileage may vary.

Basically, if you can turn on the lights without the trailer being plugged in, the battery is fine. All you can do is make sure the water level is good, and cross your fingers. The trailer should charge up the battery without over-charging it.

The only time I use a hydrometer is to see which cell in the battery has gone dead before I take it back to the store and exchange it under warranty for a new one.

Don
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 03:41 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Garden Grove , CA
Thanks for your post Don. I really thought I was having some serious battery trouble. I will hold off on the hydrometer then.
I think things are okay now. I'll check it again in a couple hours.

Chris
Old 09-27-2003, 04:06 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Thanks for your post Don. I really thought I was having some serious battery trouble. I will hold off on the hydrometer then.
I think things are okay now. I'll check it again in a couple hours.

Chris

Chris, a voltmeter may be easier for you to use to check the battery. When fully charged, the battery should have right around 12.65 volts with no load, and the charger (univolt or equivalent) off. A good number of newer batteries are sealed and have no way to check the electrolyte (acid) for level and specific gravity. Delco Mariner for one, there are others...
Terry
(in Florida)
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 08:59 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Garden Grove , CA
Thanks Terry,

The status here now is that it charged all night and it's just regestering 10.0 volts. If it was really deeply discharged does it take a couple days of charging to get it back to 12 or closer to 12 than it is now? If not, I suppose I'm looking at having to get a new battery. How long *does* it take for a battery that was deeply discharged to come back. Certainly one mishap doesn't kill it, or does it? Thanks for your expertise and now I'm thinking of getting that voltimeter just so I can keep tabs on the next battery better. Thanks for your post.

Chris
Old 09-28-2003, 10:09 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Garden Grove , CA
One last battery question

Okay, I'm satisfied that the battery is ok (I hope) It charged up enough to be able to turn on the lights but it only reads 10.0 v.
So, I'm assuming it just needs more recharging. Hope this is right.

Now, I've looked and looked for information on this battery I have and I cannot find where the class (24 or 27) of this battery is listed. 12-v deep cycle battery yes....but which? What does AS put in their CCD-22s? Boy, you folks are going to be so sick of me.
My next post hopefully will be a "had a delightful time" letter.
Thanks.

Chris
Old 09-28-2003, 10:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I think you have a dead cell. each cell puts out around 2.5 VDC and you have a total of 5 cells in a 12 V battery. Have one cell go bad and you end up with around 10V and this problem will not correct itself.
If under warranty they will replace or else you have to buy a new one.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 10:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
I think you have a dead cell......

I have to agree with Garry.

Without the benefit of knowing your charge system, voltage indicator accuracy, or history of the battery, a dead cell would be the most obvious culprit to your 10 volt dilemma.

Hope it is just a dead cell. A good battery on charge overnight with only a 10 volt output in the morning would indicate charger problems or circuit problems.

Batteries are subject to fail any time after one, two, or three years (depending on initial life rating) even under normal conditions, and periodic replacement should be considered as maintenance.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 11:21 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Garden Grove , CA
Thanks Dennis and Garry,

It does sound like it's the battery and rather than stressing over it I'm going to go out and get a new one. Now......have to figure out exactly what to replace it with. Find all the right numbers.

Chris
Old 09-28-2003, 01:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
The other option here is that your voltmeter is off.... especially if it's received the same Tender Loving Care that I usually lavish on mine.

Are the lights kinda dim? If so, your battery is dead; probably the lack of water croaked a cell. Just take it to the store with you when you buy the new one - they'll give you like $5 or so anyway for bringing the old one back (and what else would you do with something that weighs a ton and is full of sulfuric acid, anyway?)

BTW, around here, Autozone is by far the best deal on deep cycle batteries. You will want to remember which cable is positive and which is negative, so you can hook up the new battery right....

Don
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 01:44 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Have it checked...

The other advantage of taking in the battery is they will check it for free and you can be sure it's the battery and not something else...lol..jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 01:52 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Garden Grove , CA
Actually, the lights aren't dim. So, since it went up a couple tenths of a point I'll let it recharge another night. By tomorrow I'll
see. If it doesn't recharge completely, I will indeed take the battery somewhere to replace it and let them check it (for free). lol.
Thanks for your help everyone.

Chris
Old 10-18-2008, 11:06 AM   #14

1975 31' Sovereign
S.A. , Texas
HeyAll, in my 31' '76 soviergn the 110 works fine but the DC... it fries every light bulb I put in a socket and even melted the cover to the light fixture over the sink. I really miss the DC lighting. What could be wrong?
jstrong5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Terry is right, a fully-charged battery should read 12.80 (open circuit voltage). To taper-charge a depleted battery with a 10 amp charger with the battery at 12.10, you're going to need 17 hours of charge. When we're dry camping, we'll hook up a 15 amp charger when the gen set is running to bring them up. There is nothing like a three hour cruise to keep them charged. I'm not a rep...AC Delco "Voyager" deep cycle batteries are far and away the best we've used.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 international