Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2003, 01:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question Refrigerator fan 2003 AS International

Looking for information re: fan, seems that it runs all day long is that normal?
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 01:52 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Fan

Yes, in hot weather, it will run continuously. The fan is controlled by a thermostat mounted at the right end of the finned radiator. In hot weather, even the low flame produces enough heat to make the fan run. When you shut down the refrigerator, the fan may run on for an hour or more on a mid-90s degree day. Usually, when I clean out and store the trailer, the fan is still running when I turn off the battery disconnect.

During the night, you will probably hear the fan cycle on and off as the refrigerator varies from high flame to low flame. In near-freezing weather, it seldom runs.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 07:02 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
John,

I think we have the same fridge. My fan does not run at all. Some have said there is an inline fuse and I have not found it.

I also tried to figure out how to force the circuit on the fan by bypassing the thermostat that starts the fan and closing the circuit manually. Still the fan does not operate. The fridge seems to cool just fine, but I too belive that if the fan worked, it might cool better.

I read that you swapped fans. I am thinking that perhaps my fan is bad and am interested in what fan you chose to use. Any info?

Also off subject, I read your thread on the shower with no water and my '03 Bambi is the same! Problem is that they used a different shower head. I am next going to test the shower with the city water connection, but it sounds just like your problem.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 07:41 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Fans

Quote:
I read that you swapped fans. I am thinking that perhaps my fan is bad and am interested in what fan you chose to use. Any info?
The fan I put in just happened to be laying around my shop. It came from the power supply from my old IBM PS2 that I junked some time ago. IBM chose it because it was an extremely quiet fan, so it was perfect for the refrigerator use. I can barely notice it now.

The fan doesn't to be as fast or use as much power as the one Airstream installed. My replacement pulls about 1/2 the current as the original fan. You can use almost any fan of that general size and insert a resistor in series to slow and quiet it a bit.

As far as the shower head, I plugged 1/2 of the holes on mine with Gorilla Glue and it works just barely satisfactory now.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 07:05 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

I was shopping in Radio Shack today and I noticed they had a variety of computer cooling fans. Hope this is useful.

Skip J

Tags
2003 international